Are there any practical downsides to system d-

Are there any practical downsides to system d-
putting aside problems with it on principle and programmers whining?

Attached: 5171684E-2DD8-48BC-B75E-86EEEF36A180.jpg (490x353, 70K)

* Stability; it seems to have issues more often than I'm comfortable with; journald keeps crashing and stopping log collection, without systemd detecting the failure and restarting it. The main systemd process also stops restarting processes and responding to signals more often that I would like (I see a few dozen cases per week across the fleet of machines where we have to reboot with systemctl --force --force as systemd has locked up).
* Documentation issues: The docs sound great, but they were written as a goal for the completed project, and the current versions don't work the way the documentation says. You need to experiment yourself and find the differences.
* Nondetermanism; While the dynamic dependency evaluation that systemd does can discover the optimal boot sequence, it doesn't do it every time, so some boots might take far longer than others. It would have been better to cache the dependency tree and reuse it if the list of startup items hadn't changed.

All in all, it seems a poor replacement to the collection of single-purpose items that it claims to replace. It might be a good fit for simple, single-purpose containers, but that would be more efficiently handled through older solutions like daemontools.

tl;dr, something something pottering something something glowniggers

Attached: 72994737-DD1E-49F4-B94C-704B336EC3C2.jpg (1920x1080, 162K)

werks on my machine.

Thanks

I personally think it's annoying to use. Runit is a lot more simple and convenient.

don't even worry about the init system. runit and openRC are memes

Poettering is mean tio me :^((((((((

Don't worry user, nothing wrong with using SystemD just seething runitfags.

the absolute fuckhole that is journalctl

the “reduction of tool invocation syntax to memorize” is a joke since every systemd-whateverd does it’s own fucking thing anyway so you have to bring up the manpage every time. and that’s if you’re lucky enough to know which fucking snowflake invocation you need to use for the thing you’re trying to do. was it under systemctl somecmd? or was it somectl uniqueargs??? gosh i can’t wait to find out

systemd hooks and how every fucking distro varies slightly in how and where they’re invoked from. at least the init scripts were fucking consistent.

systemd-nspawn is actually kinda nice.

fuck the services failing randomly and freezing the entire system like it’s a fucking windows machine getting a bsod

yeah, it's a big downside

> any ... practical downsides to systemd ... putting aside problems with it on principle

> What's an issue with a bucket of shit asides the fact that it contains shit?

Nigger is having a pants-on-head-retarded architecture not enough of a downside to you? What says are basically just a few sympthoms of a much bigger pile of cancer.

>Nigger is having a pants-on-head-retarded architecture not enough of a downside to you? What says are basically just a few sympthoms of a much bigger pile of cancer.

You would have a point if any other init actually solved those problems better than systemd did, but they don't LMFAO.

Is there any problem with having generations of children via incest? Diversity and choice are what makes Linux great.

POOTERING

Once you tried runit you will laugh in the face of systemd users.

The general volatility of the systemd codebase is the most annoying thing though.
Every month a different problem.

>use pulseaudio
>metallic noise added to my mic
>buggy sound when I first use my speakers and mic together for a few seconds
>same issue with various distributions
>friend got the same problem
How easy is to get rid of this shit ?

Nothing of what you posted has anything to do with Pulseaudio (but with the backend it uses) and it also has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
But go ahead, get rid of Pulseaudio and have applications use ALSA directly where you can enjoy even more of the metallic and buggy sounds. Get a well supported sound card/chip, faggot.

>Once you tried runit you will laugh in the face of systemd users.
>The general volatility of the systemd codebase is the most annoying thing though.
>Every month a different problem.

Real quick show me how you display this information in runnit with a single command.

If this sounds unreasonable its because it is and you can't do it because runnit sucks.

Attached: penis.png (1280x1420, 489K)

I've been using systemd for like five years now and didn't encounter a single issue. Maybe you should not use shitty distributions that shove all of the untested, volatile shit into your production system.

>no cron in image text

>practical downsides?
Some. But mostly in very specialized situations. For desktop and "normal" server stuff it's completely fine. It's not as simple as it could be but still quite consistent and flexible enough.

Much of the criticism of systemd has been Poettering's arrogant approach, sometimes moving forward with breaking changes without proper warning and never admitting his own fault. In other words it's not about any current state but the experience with it.

> Use a single command for two completely different tasks
> systemd features
Made by retards. Used by retards.

Most people who hate systemd wouldn't know what the fuck to do without it.

right you are my boy, let me get my systemd folder

Attached: systemd.gif (200x133, 772K)

literally TRON

>a stop proccess is running for user X 00:00/01:30
Why is shutting down so difficult for systemd?

It's a misconfigured service, i.e. bad unit file. Not systemd's fault. Also, you can adjust the timeout in /etc/systemd/{system,user}.conf, depending on how the service runs.

Never had such problems with runit.
Shutdown means: kill the shit! now!

My two cents: cryptsetup is real sickly now.

Try swapoff on a simple EFI/LUKS root/LUKS swap disk, then spend a day trying to go through the whole boot process from initramfs up to decryption, to see why it shits itself, and why no logging is done.

Sorry, I'm still mad about the fact that things that used to work perfectly fine are being reinvented and often broken nowadays.

Systemd has no apparent advantages over leaner alternatives IMO as a regular user. Service management is performed well enough through OpenRC. Systemd provides me with no benefits.

Well, systemd kinda defeats the purpose of Linux, because it centralizes all the software development around a single software suite, which makes the system less modular and more monolithic, which in turn makes it harder for people to modify it to their liking. Might as well just make Linux a proprietary OS at this point.