Do 5400 rpm drives last longer because the spin slower?

Do 5400 rpm drives last longer because the spin slower?

Attached: 41diGNiDkuL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/VIBRATEX-HV-260-Hitachi-Magic-Massager/dp/B00005M1WE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

It's not a stupid question.

Yes, but they read/write slower than 7200RPM
But there's this trick to increase r/w speeds...
When moving data to/out of your HDD
Pick up your case, and twist it clockwise and anticlockwise (hold it so HDD is in horizontal position)
When doing this, you'll see casual r/w speed increase
All because HDD is mechanical and this works because of simple physics
One of the reasons why HDD is superior

Do 10000 rpm drives suffer more bitrot because of the change of rotational velocidensity?

I guess not, but it's one which can be answered in one post, so not really worth killing a thread for

No. Server drives do, they just also happen to run at 5400rpm. They're not mutually exclusive.

aren't most SAS drives 10000rpm?

NO, they do not last longer, nor do they have a shorter lifespan, simply because they spin slower. The lifespan of a drive will depend on the precision and mechanical tolerances of a drive, also the fault tolerances and of the firmware. It will also depend on the quality of the materials used and whether or not the users are damaging the drive or not. It will also depend on environmental factors

>Do 5400 rpm drives last longer because the spin slower?
They dont last longer. Higher RPM drives are spinning at faster speeds to relative to the universe they are experiencing time at a slower rate.

Don't 7200 RPM drives last longer because it's cruising speed not slow traffic speed like 5400 and not racing like 10000? 7200 is all highway miles.

Okay, this is epic

how do i fix a HDD that was dropped but i can hear the disk spinning, it just doesn't show data on PC like it did before?
>future thanks

Attached: 1563882545663.jpg (320x278, 28K)

Depends on the specific drive you're buying but usually yes. Less speed means less vibration.

Hit it with hammer until it works.

thank you for your input

>server drives
>5400rpm

What.

Where do I find the Hitachi drives Apple used to put in macbooks? I have a 160gb one that's been running for a literal decade and I've treated that computer like garbage.

And that's how you make mustard gas. Don't do this at home kids, go to a friend's house instead!

They're only certified for 5400 rotations before you have to throw them out. If you want better longevity you should buy a 10k or 15k drive (this is why they're more expensive).

Yes, in the same way AMD CPUs last longer because they have lower clocks speeds.

No, drives that spin faster last longer because of the velocity time dilation.

Attached: time-dilation.jpg (396x276, 23K)

Only drives that fail QC are restricted to 5400 rpm. HDD manufacturers do not simply take a good drive and restrict it, they have good reasons to put limits in place and sell them for cheaper.

Yes exactly

holy shit my rw speeds are faster than my ssd now

That's the mislabeled small question thread

This is why I buy 10,000 rpm drives and set them to only go 5400 RPM so they last longer

amazon.com/VIBRATEX-HV-260-Hitachi-Magic-Massager/dp/B00005M1WE

>Spin your case at 2000 rpm to make your 5400 harddrive match a 7200

i just tried this and now my drive wont show up when i plug it in, wtf

Nah, you've got to open her up every once in a while to knock the carbon off the heads.

Yes, but you can use an operational encabulator to offset the increase in damage. Those are expensive though.

Freeze it then try to get data off it while it's sub 0C
If you can't get data then either send it in to a company for recovery or throw it out

Does freezing actually work or is it a ruse to water into the drive and completely kill it?

It does work, though you do need to open the HDD case, as the rapid transition of temperatures is critical to the effect.

I only use 2x 2.5" drives + ssd
Less noise and heat less vibration less speed too but whatever is storage, go for 1tb max if you want minimum noise
They cost more/gb compared to 3.5" drives

Oh no, an 'Intel btfo' 'apple btfo' 'X language is redd*t' thread died! Whatever will we do?
Literally nothing here is worth saving.

bullshit
the moisture in the air will condense and become a liquid inside and out of the drive aka killing it.
there is a video proving it

It does work
Just don't get water to condense on it. Maybe run the cables from the freezer out to your laptop. Keep it wrapped in something to absorb any water.

Its worked for me 2 times on some old drives from the early 2000s

Wipe the water off as it condenses you oaf. Spray some sealent on the PCB if you need to.