The janky scrolling on linux is seriously driving me insane. No matter the distro, browser, DE, WM...

The janky scrolling on linux is seriously driving me insane. No matter the distro, browser, DE, WM, scrolling in webpages on GNU/Linux is so jittery and unusable.

This is why people use Windows.

Attached: linux_windows.jpg (650x300, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zDLCJCX1kL0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Debian
KDE
Werks for Me

works on my machine

Nobody actually uses linux. You play around with it for 5-10 minutes and then boot back into windows.

this is what winbabbies actually believe

Attached: 0WRCfMN.png (481x501, 364K)

i thought it was for the vidya gaems

I never had a problem with the scrolling in linux. However, the one thing I cant stand is that the auto scroll feature in web browsers isn't on default.

> Voidlinux
> dwm
> Latest Firefox
No issues whatsoever.

Gnometards don't deserve flicker free scrolling.

There was a gtk4 patch recently for gpu accelerated scrolling that looked great.

I'm using KDE Plasma, not Gnome.
I'm also dualbooting, if that's relevant.

here it is:
youtu.be/zDLCJCX1kL0

lol holy shit is that boogie? What a fucking clown

>I'm using KDE Plasma, not Gnome.
It works fine in GNOME. Maybe before posting "no matter the distro, DE, browser" actually more than one of each.

I've also tried Gnome, as well as Cinnamon.

Attached: 0_550x550_Back_Color-White.jpg (550x550, 28K)

poo in the loo micronigger

It's always been an issue, I use chromium wheel smooth scroller and set it up to like 200 lines and disable bouncing. This addon is also on firefox too. You also might have to disable smooth scroll in flags. You could also edit firefox settings in about:config to adjust acceleration if you don't want to use an addon.

As for out of browser scrolling there's not really a good option, I don't know why devs don't care about proper scrolling settings.

"Werks on may macheen"
You fag linux users need to be euthanized

Could be a driver issue.
Is your graphics hardware recognized correctly?
Also do use Wayland or Xorg. Wayland is totally buggy at this point. It had many problems with scrolling and resizing Apps that run via Xwayland.
Also, if you have Intel there are many parameters to tweak in xorg.conf

I dunno, it works on my Mac

it just werks if you have a 3 digit IQ

My experience has been the opposite.

>mfw Linux users are stuck with GIMP and can't use Photoshop even if they pirate it

Attached: Koakuma.full.718684.jpg (1200x740, 435K)

photoshop runs fine in wine moron.

cope

144 hz on Mint. Feels smoother than windows.

firefox scrolling: about:config in search bar.
search for this line. mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount;

change value between 30-40 to get a nice scroll speed.

Have you ever scrolled @ 120Hz?
It's noticeable

Attached: giphy (2).gif (360x480, 2.54M)

I remember when year 200x was the year of desktop linux and ever since it never happened and never will: no standards, no typography or design but random bolt-on shit.

99% of the people who cry "muh photoshop" never even use it

ty user.

Surely it should be the retards that are too stupid to get Linux running properly are the ones that should be euthanised

What was the year that Linux came preinstalled on prebuilt machines instead of Windows?

If only Paint.NET added editable text layers...

Attached: arthur.jpg (800x450, 82K)

any way to resolve this?

Just use WSL

that's an exaggeration. more like 5-10 days
but yeah, pretty much

that's fucking horrible. what is the point of that stupid acceleration? just make it so it instantly snaps to lines.

general.smoothScroll = false

>not capable of learning to use another os

with windows you get what you deserve

Attached: shocking.jpg (225x160, 4K)

then maybe it's your mouse if you tried out multiple settings (which you did by trying multiple distros)

the good thing about linux is that if you don't like the scrolling behavior you can adjust it for your needs, in windows you can't

this
would be worth adding this function on pinta

t. can't get install ubuntu

>2019
>still can’t change your scrolling speed because libinput doesn’t support it
>refuses to add it even though it’s literally a 1 line change because “hur dur it shouldn’t be in the driver, the DE should provide that”
>DEs don’t want to add the option either
>this has been going for years and you still can’t change the fucking scrolling speed because those faggots can’t figure out whose responsibility it should be
>there have been patches that add that functionality and it’s like 5 fucking lines changed, literally just multiply the value by some value loaded from somewhere
>no we’re not gonna add that, let’s just argue where the fuck it should be implemented indefinitely
Holy shit, the absolute state of Linux. Shit like this just makes me want to say fuck it and buy a Macbook instead.

I don't even know what you are talking about.
That's how retarded you are.

It's pretty simple, retard. Scrolling in Linux is really jittery compared to Windows.

Scrolling is nice in XFCE for me.

I've tried Fedora + XFCE, doesn't work properly. This goes for any programs, not just web browsers by the way.

>not enjoying seeing the raw processing power with no smoothing animation

KDE is nice for me too.
You might wanna turn smooth scrolling on in the settings in firefox.

>>/gd/
I'm a photographer and I like darktable a lot more than PS or LR -- that said, both work fine with wine should
>muh video games
I've been using Linux for 5-10 years and see no reason to go back. If you use Ubuntu rather than some silly meme distro, it's a hell of a lot more stable than windows

I get ya, Linux adds a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Still, it's probably just tearing, which Linux is notorious for and can be fixed. Google "tearing" or "vsync" for the distro, DE and GPU that you're using. As always, you probably just have to put an option in a conf file somewhere.

This -- "a loose confederation of volunteer autists" is no way to run a complex system

If it's a one line change then just compile your own libinput with the patch merged. I run software with custom patches all the time. git rebase makes it easy.

This, also can't change fucking touchpad sensitivity (no, not acceleration you dumb niggers) on any distro IN _2019_ without fucking around with ancient input drivers that cause new problems in other areas. For all the progress made on the Linux desktop, it still fails in things you wouldn't even think would be a problem, coming from windows/mac.

If it is so easy, then you do it. Fucking hell, you're just looking for shit to whinge about.

I'm a professional research scientist and I have not had windows installed on a work or personal computer for at least three years

I bet your work is done entirely on a web browser, so that's not surprising. You could probably use IOS.

Wrong, Retardo. 90% of my work is done with tui/command line applications. Programming shit, doing math shit, writing shit with latex. You're a retarded winlet

spoken like a true scientist, I didn't realize they gave PHDs to 12 year olds doing

LMFAO didn't mean to hit post yet, winlet?

Iow effort reply for low effort shitposter

This entire thread is why linux on desktop will always be niche garbage. More power to ya if you're mentally ill enough to put up with it in the name of your ideals or not giving money to people who actually make working products or whatever.

Attached: linux.png (841x724, 520K)

The only other option is macOS, which is locked down to certain hardware configurations.

Cope

>this thing my employer expects me to be proficient in is something only an idiot would use
At the end of the day it depends on your use-case, and I'm happy I never have to touch Windows Server.

Your employer makes you use Linux as a desktop OS? I'm so sorry, user.

Attached: linuxcar.jpg (576x382, 54K)

Let me guess, nvidiot?

Debian + KDE works

Pop os + KDE + Mesa drivers + vulkan doesn't

I think it's some of the experimental video drivers I installed to play video games

GNU/Jank

Never had this problem when a proper compositor is in use. Been using lignux since 2003, and have been using it as a daily driver since 2009, on multiple different set ups.

dynamic scrolling works for me even on qutebrowser on fucking wayland on a distro as non mainstream as nixos
youre doing it wrong

this KEK

Attached: lulz.jpg (390x310, 28K)

Why aren't you running elinks in a separate tty?

There's no point in creating such threads OP. These Linux faggots will always answer "werks on my machine" even though they know it doesn't work without tinkering the shit out of your system.

Don't get tricked into installing/using Linux by Loonixfags unless you're a developer. Except for you health, nothing in life is more valuable than your time. There are no official statistics but we all know it's true: if we had two samples, a group of Windows users and another group of Linux users, the mean amount of virgins, unemployment and faggots who watch anime would be higher in the Linux group. Don't deny it, we all know it's true and again, I am talking about the general rule because like in every statistic, there are exceptions. Being unsuccessful almost always results in a lack of self confidence. They can't stand the fact that they suck at everything in life so what they'll do is trying to convince you to use Linux because apparently it's safer and easier to use (lmfao). Maybe they're not even aware of it but subconsciously they know that their counterpart is not going to be able to handle Linux. In their subconscious mind, they want their counterpart to come back and say "what were you talking about? Linux is not easy to use, it's a waste of time" so they can call him stupid for it and feel superior to anything/anyone for once in their life. You have to consider it's not really their fault, it's just their brain trying to compensate. We shouldn't be mad at them. This does not apply to developers (actual developers, and most people on this "tech" board aren't developers) because it's understandable if a dev doesn't want to deal with cygwin, mingw, wsl or installing libraries on Windows in the first place. But using Linux as a daily driver it a timesink, so don't fall for the trap.

>with windows you get what you deserve
and that is?

>I haven't used OS for 5-10 years!
>I also make statements on how stable it is!

You see, stupid nigger, this is why no one is ever taking you seriously.

i know this is a bait thread, but why do people get so upset at screen tearing? i never use a compositor unless watching videos and i'm not bothered by it. back in the days of Win9x and XP there was no vsync and nobody ever seemed to mind.

lol, I guess Windows is the better option then.. XD

Needing to run malware to think you've removed the preinstalled malware, data loss as a result of broken update after broken update, needing to reinstall your operating system once a year to keep it from slowing down too much, the list goes on.

I literally just ssh to my distro from my Win10.
I'm an employed dev, you see, not a dumb NEET manchild like your everyday de/g/enerate.

>I have no idea what I'm talking about: the game: the book: the movie: the post

That's just bullshit since 2015. I have to use windows at work and always encounter problems. For example, the filesystem on windows makes no sense, keeping software updated is a pain in the ass, installing new programming software is also a pain and I encounter path problems all the time, I get slow start up time and just slowness with softwares that run fast on Linux. Windows supposedly just works, but that just hasn't been true. For me, Linux just works.

>Linux just werks
You can't even use Wayland with nvidia cards.

>inb4 KDE EGL Streams
still buggy af

>inb4 buy AMD
AMD GPUs are shit

>inb4 another weebfagging neet excuse
fuck you, your mother, your uncle and your whole neet family

It's been bullshit since a lot longer than 2015. I've never had nearly as many issue with linux and if I do they're generally reasonable to debug and don't stick around for ages unfixed. Reporting the bugs is actually useful and even if I don't someone else probably will. Microsoft bug reports are useless and just get a bunch of copy-pasted advice about scanning dcom and sfc and doing a clean install.

Who are you quoting newfag? Also, name one single thing he is wrong about. Just admit that you are so fucking stupid that you cant install a proper os and stuck with a so clearly inferior garbage fire that is windows.

>AMD GPUs are shit
I REALLY hope you don't unironically believe this.

Why would anyone use Shitnux when Windows Subsystem for Linux exists?

Attached: 2019-07-30.png (2736x1824, 777K)

Nothing in Linux is smooth because X is an enormous, inefficient piece of shit, and so is pretty much every window manager written for it. A lot of software written for Linux is also terrible at handling high-refresh displays (especially in multihead arrangements), including several desktop environments. Wayland will hopefully be a bit more sensible in these regards when it becomes the standard a few centuries from now, but it's also got its own issues.

what the fuck is it with linux weebfaggots like yourself praising AMD GPUs even though they are so shit. You fucking communistic trap loving faggots.

why would anyone use windows

music production and gaming. Before you google "DAW Linux" and tell me that there's Bitwig, please stfu and consider that literally 99% of all VSTs are not available on Linux.

I managed 6 months, but i switched back because i got an awful itch for some games that use DRM/Anti-cheat. I'm probably going to go back to Linux once the next major version of Fedora drops, which should have comprehensive support for Navi graphics. Unless i get bored and switch to Manjaro. Might get a second GPU for Windows VMing though.

stop wasting your life and get a real job

>being a mastering engineer is not a real job
okay

it's no sanitation technician now there's somebody who makes a difference in society

2/10

prove me wrong

>buying Nvidia instead of AMD
>complaining that Linux doesn't work
Go back to /v/ and kill yourself, virgin. Everyone knows that Nvidia is a piece of shit company that makes it hard for developers for no reason. And only retards keep shoveling money to them no matter what they do. You use either AMD or Intel if you want things to work.
>inb4 b-but I get 5 fps more in cowadoody!!

Attached: 1481892634492.gif (640x360, 1.55M)

>Everyone knows that Nvidia is a piece of shit company
Cry more you little faggot. I couldn't care less if they genocided people. One thing I do know is that their cards perform way better than your shitty AMD GPUs. By the way I haven't gamed in years, creating 3D content. NOBODY uses AMD gpus for 3D content creation because AMD GPUs perform like shit and also because OpenCL is fucking gay. Fucking communists.

Based capitalistic nVidia.