ITS HAPPENING

RISC-V high-end hardware is possible! Alibaba crafts a 16-Core RISC-V Chip @ 2.5GHz
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Alibaba-RISC-V-16-Core-2.5GHz
It’s only gonna be used internally apparently, but this shows RISC-V as a major player isn’t just some pipe dream. FUDniggers hold this L

Attached: C8AAA2F1-FBAA-4C9D-A2ED-610B1F7D1CF4.png (1200x628, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blackhole12.com/blog/risc-is-fundamentally-unscalable/23
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ignorant here, tell me what are the implications.

Nice

RISC-V is open source hardware, anyone can manufacture it without worrying about IP shit.

I would like to see riscv based laptop or desktop that would run gentoo

integrated chink botnet instead of integrated burger botnet

Unless another big brother tech company invests in RISCV, it will never be a serious x86 competitor. It's going to be niche and expensive for quite awhile yet. Also I'd rather wait until there's a non-Linux OS for it that's atleast at the BSD levels of usable.

>HURRR OPEN SOURCE
>intel and AMD make RISC-V processors and create proprietary extensions that become common place and immediately kill the open source nature of the architecture just like microsoft did to FOSS in the past 3 decades

blackhole12.com/blog/risc-is-fundamentally-unscalable/23

Huawei are a candidate since they were pic related a few months ago.

Attached: Annotation 2019-07-29 203407.png (649x239, 95K)

Do Huawei ever care about the desktop/enthusiast market?
Also i'm not even sure if i'd trust then any more than Intel/AMD despite RISC

>locks bootloader

It's chinese, fuck it.

>7.1 Coremark/Mhz
lmao

Attached: .png (1113x743, 82K)

I do not copulate with chinks

looks like they achieved 6YO ARM levels of performance. good job china

Attached: .png (1121x268, 30K)

and what the fuck is phoronix's garbage site? their forum literally does not work even with everything enabled in uBO.

Attached: .png (520x385, 23K)

Absolutely none besides a few trannies getting their "pussy" wet

Isn’t this the same one that employs an in-house ISA extension, and thus is fucking nothing? Mainline RISC-V is still antiquated trash.

“Anyone” (i.e the handful of giant corporations capable of actually manufacturing and modifying them) can also add their own extensions to it to subtly lock users into their ecosystem in ways they won’t realize until it’s too late.

“Free and open” hardware is a scam and a misnomer and likely will be for centuries. Stop spreading bullshit lies, you fucking shills.

>employs an in-house ISA extension
better than an NSA extension

Reminder that the only reason permissive licenses exist is to enable companies to do this underhanded shit, and that this is why GPL is superior.

Shit’s one and the same. It’s not an open architecture if the only usable implementations are caked with proprietary or otherwise vendor-specific extensions that lock you into an ecosystem and exploit you.

Fuck off.

>see what happens when papa trump gets mad
>lose arm
>lose any other server grade cpu

Chinks are trying to steal a cpu design that is not under the control of the USA.

why doesn't china make their own type of cpu? why these still using western design philosophies.

Politics, compatibility and convenience.

is a prominent substitute for the current ARM architecture or even x86

>what is FPGA

How is this related?
The ISA is only a specification. Even if the ISA was "GPL'ed", the implementation would not inherent the license and could remain completely proprietary.
The ISA is like an algorithm description, or a protocol specification - the implementation doesn't inherit the license.
Likewise, the product of a GPL'ed software (like GIMP or Blender) is not GPL'ed either.

GPL wouldn't help here, so stop screeching.

Chinks are just good at counterfeiting

A ridiculously expensive and impractical prototyping tool.

Something you apparently know fuck all about if you're implying what I think you're implying.

So will it be for sale? When and how much will it cost?

Did you even read the post or just start jerking off as soon as you saw the logo?

Why so many in here want Intel's and AMD's consumer assrape to go on?

It doesn't make that much sense to me that they wouldn't want to sell this outside of China. I haven't read this anywhere else and I don't trust phoronix to tell me that this would be the case without any credible sources backing it up. And I was asking about it.

Could be paid, although more likely brainwashed

Why do so many in here want so badly to replace them with a highly fragmented, non-free platform that encourages vendor lock-in and other shitty business practices in the same way that ARM does, but potentially even worse? Just because an alternative exists does not mean it is actually a good one.
Why doesn't it make sense? Large corporations like Alibaba roll their own silicon for internal use quite often (look at Amazon and Google) and this chip has no niche or purpose outside of the specific use case it's being built for. Can you name a single practical, unique thing it does other than not implement the x86 instruction set?

China can only buy or steal but never create.