Best career option for a cs grad:

Best career option for a cs grad:
- Cybersecurity
- Software engineering
- Data science
- Bioinformatics

Attached: computer-science1.jpg (1280x1240, 623K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qav.comlab.ox.ac.uk/papers/WWRHK.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>- Cybersecurity engineering
>- Software engineering engineering
>- Data science engineering
>- Bioinformatics engineering

Web Development

Neither. PhD in Genre.

Wendy’s head chef

data science is based but good fucking luck getting your first data science job, the market is flooded with people trying to break in

im working as a developer in a startup that will do data science soon and i will be able to get experience in the field, but isnt cybersecurty better pay now?

Just learn JS and get paid.

All good data analyst entry jobs require 3-4 years of experience. The shit ones pay less and have a really high turnover.

Data science in most places is "cool graphs in R (or worse, Excel)". Pretty much only in fintech you'd do something more intricate than that.
But you're right in that every dumb monkey is trying to get into it - godly money for no work.

i'm data science, with a cs degree. ama.

companies hire a lot of business grads for data science jobs. obviously they suck ass but you can't get ahead because most large companies don't like "heroes".

protip for any large company I guess: artificially slow down your work, and spend the time networking with execs/seniors, or learning for yourself.

>but isnt cybersecurty better pay now

cybersec consulting is insane pay, but cybersec itself is basically just admin/ops - meaning you can get stuck doing actually support for a while lol.

but then again any IT consulting is insane pay (i.e. 1k daily rate) but your agency is gonna eat 90% of that.

>Data science in most places is "cool graphs in R (or worse, Excel)". Pretty much only in fintech you'd do something more intricate than that.
>But you're right in that every dumb monkey is trying to get into it - godly money for no work.

Idk where you work, but I design deep models and shit when I'm not in meetings.

What can one do to transition into data science, assuming you have languages like R and Python down pat?

R is on the way out btw

pick a specialty (like image or language processing or something, whatever they're looking for in your area), know and advertise the tools frameworks well, and exaggerate on experience

>idk where you work, but i'm a tensorflow/pytorch plumber
yeah, cool graphs in R are about equivalent in difficulty (i placed reasonably well on TrackML, despite it starting about a week after i learned about ML)
i work in telco on lawful interception

>R is on the way out btw
not everywhere, I did the mckinsey data science interview and they demand you know R

/thread

any info on bioinformatics? I guess it must be saturated with biology grads, but some places say that the supply demand is good

so you can read and reverse engineer the legacy algos

>>idk where you work, but i'm a tensorflow/pytorch plumber

you're not wrong, you know.
500 (read) papers in and I've become convinced that deep learning is basically biology or psychology or some shit and has little to do with cs at all.

It's a long way off being gone. It's still core to data science educational institutions and research, including in corporate/university partnership research, no other language is anywhere near as ubiquitous and academics/corporations hate change (to their methodology) no matter what they tell you.

t. Just left a job at UCL Statistical Science/Big Data Centre.

most senior industry data scientists will admit that they'd probably have to pick up python if they weren't retiring in the next 20 years.

Oh, if you even knew half the shit that gets published. Sometimes it feels to me like ML is the grievance studies of STEM, but every now and then a paper like qav.comlab.ox.ac.uk/papers/WWRHK.pdf

No doubt, I just wanted to dispel any suggestion that you'll be able to get into the industry without learning R.

Web dev

>Bioinformatics
I want to do this down the line. Should I minor in Bio?

Most people that I know in bioinfo came from bio/chem backgrounds and picked up coding along the way. If you want to work for a company that provides software to academics, then sure, that will be fine.

If you live near industrial facilities, Control Systems. It's all highly specialized proprietary software (read: expensive) running on a standard *nix OS, with standard Dell/HP computers, using standard networking equipment. Tons of overtime opportunities.

>most large companies don't like "heroes"
Why is this?

The socio-economic hierarchy in larger companies is very dick-suckery towards senior positions, and a hero would just threaten their social status.

You'll need a Masters or PhD as far as I can tell.