Thoughts on Brave?

Thoughts on Brave?
Is it finally the browser that can take on Chrome?

Attached: brave-browser[1].png (1034x518, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/search/text/brave/type/op/
github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js
brave.com/
creators.brave.com/
brave.com/faq/#unverified-publishers
brave.com/brave-users-get-rewarded-to-browse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kys stupid shill

It's working ok but I don't want to leave firefox yet.
If you use chrome then remove it and dl brave

It's very good so far on Android. Wish they had auto-search stuff though.
Ebin. Simply ebin.

>Thoughts on Brave?
Good browser that replaces what I was using Opera for entirely.

Suits me well overall and surprised at some of the settings I don't have to adjust (due to them already being set in Brave already by default).

>Is it finally the browser that can take on Chrome?

No. Ultimately to compete it has to be it's own browser independent from Chromium or have a significant feature, etc.

Depending on use preference Google Chrome or default Chromium probably wins but I personally prefer to us Brave and FireFox together (keep some services separate or specific to browser, etc).

we have this thread every fucking day. just read the replies of previous threads instead of making a new one
rbt.asia/g/search/text/brave/type/op/

It is built on the same code-base that chrome is, chromium.

The only differences - in layman's terms - are as follows:
1. It has a built-in ad-blocker + https enforcer + site settings manager called shield. Though shield is a nice idea, you can't add lists of your choosing to it, and its performance is shit when compared to ublock and adguard. Vivaldi has a similar way of managing site settings (as do most chromium forks), and using that or iridium or ungoogled chromium with ublock and https everywhere accomplishes the same thing, with better performance and more configurability.

2. It has a built-in wallet for BAT crypto-vouchers.

3. Google telemetry is basically replaced with Brave's user tracking (for distribution of BAT). Whether it's mostly stored locally does not matter. It's sketch. Plain and simple.

Can it take on chrome? Sure, because it's basically chrome with some changes and additions. Is it better than chrome OOTB? Absolutely. Is it better than chromium, iridium, or vivaldi + the extensions I mentioned? No. Is it better than gecko-based browsers? No.

Like all chromium forks, brave offers only a minuscule fraction of what firefox does in terms of options for privacy and customization. Furthermore, the mobile version of brave does not support extensions, meaning that a browser like kiwi is the superior option on mobile platforms if you want something chromium-based. Lastly, if your response to this is to say "but you can turn those features off you idiot", then you are the idiot. Because without those features, brave is just chromium + BAT-related user-tracking.

In conclusion, stop shilling your sketchy chrome skin here. I'm sure you realize that Jow Forums is becoming more and more hostile to brave shills in general. You're only decreasing your user base at this point.

>le shill lion
Vivaldi is the only Chromium fork worth using.

where do i apply and what's the hourly wage

> Is it better than gecko-based browsers? No.
I don't really understand this, I assume you mean for privacy and such right? what do the web engines do differently which makes gecko based ones somehow harder to track? I'm using qutebrowser with all the anti-fingerprinting stuff disabled, generic user agent etc, so I'm interested, since that's basically the same as being chromium based

IT IS CHROME, YOU INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST SHILL, YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ALL THIS SHILLING, I WISH FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART THAT YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF RARE INCURABLE CANCER THAT INFLICTS PAINS BEYOND HUMAN COMPREHENSION OVER YOUR WHOLE BODY TO THE LAST SECOND YOU'RE ALIVE. THEN I HOPE EVERYBODY YOU CARE AND LOVE SUFFER FROM IT, BUT DIE BEFORE YOU.

Attached: c31.jpg (621x502, 23K)

Also:

Report for advertising.

Gecko simply offers myriad options for finely tuning nearly every aspect of the browser, including privacy. Check about:config. There are countless ways you can configure FF and other gecko browsers to minimize tracking on websites. Too many to mention. You can look at hardened user.js examples for an idea.

>anti-fingerprinting stuff disabled
enabled, not disabled

Fuck lazy jannies

Ungoogled Chromium takes four hours of compiling to install.

But when I weigh those four hours against a well-advertised browser with a slick UI, cool logo, impressive slogans, and pay-to-browse proposal for when our indeterminate trial period is ended for us, I find I just don't have the time. Brave is going to be the Apple of internet browsing, and that's a good thing.

There are pre-compiled builds right on their github. Also, iridium and vivaldi exist. You use any of these options with https everywhere and ublock, and you have something that not only performs better than brave, but doesn't ship with sketchy BAT-related user tracking. BAT for users is basically a voucher system right now BTW. It's like browsing certain sites in exchange for coupons. The people who really stand to benefit from BAT are brave devs and board members, and their advertising partners. That's if it ever takes off, which it hasn't. The whole thing just screams cultish pyramid scheme.

botnet

I see, there are certainly lots of options. I can understand why the people who develop chrome's web engine wouldn't want it to be as configurable.
>Too many to mention.
I get your point, but any chance you could name a couple? These config files are hardly transparent, and I don't really know what can be done to protect your privacy past basic measures and using TOR

I'm phone posting right now, so I'm not gonna dive into using code tags and typing out pref strings, but here's a heavily annotated user.js template from ghacks: github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js/blob/master/user.js which gives you a good idea of why people stick with FF. You simply can't modify or lock down chromium to this degree without modifying the source and recompiling.

Oh wow, this is great. Thanks!

No problemo. I only have like 60 lines in my user.js, and some of those are even unnecessary. That ghacks example is huge, but it covers more than most others I've seen, so it's handy.

It's kinda gay desu
But probably the easiest to use chromium fork on windows

Firefox is still superior

>based on chromium
>taking down chrome
Unlikely, sorry.

I have now earned BAT with Brave. am I an edgy crypto trader yet?

fpbp

samefag

Shut the fuck up you stupid retard that shit uses chromium
Why would you base your "chrome killer" off chrome code
Holy fuck can you for ONCE stop sucking cocks and shilling brave?
Absolute nitwit
Absolute nigger
Absolute faggot
Absolute nitwit nigger faggot

>Thoughts on Brave?

Attached: botnet.png (770x578, 287K)

>Hey kids, do you like Chrome but hate Google? Then do I have the browser for you. Introducing Brave, which is based on Chrome, and will datamine you just as much as Google, but the data will go to Brandon Eich, who will do the exact same thing that Google does with it, and create a profile for you in which to serve advertisements! And if you opt in, you'll get 70% of the money that Eich gets, only it's in a useless cryptocurrency that you can't actually use! But you can donate it!
>Sound good? Then go to brave.com/ and download your copy today!

Alternatively, you can install Iridium, along with uBlock Origin and uMatrix, and not deal with ads, or install the Dissenter Browser, and get a crypto that you can exchange for money.

>install Brave
>get a notification suggesting I pay for premium features
>immediately uninstall

Fell for another Jow Forums meme

>Good browser that replaces what I was using Opera for entirely.
Opera is shit for anything but phone browsing.
So literally anything would be an upgrade

Yes

Brave is based on Chromium, not Chrome, you dumb fuck.

And there's such a huge difference!

i am starting to think that..they do it for FREE

Attached: 1563693787129.gif (635x640, 3.28M)

1 BAT has been deposited into your account

use chromium + ublock origin + https everywhere + 4chanx

>willingly using a chromium fork and contributing to the chrom* monopoly while getting delayed security updates since it's a fork
>using a browser that has an adblocking whitelist for """non-intrusive ads""", which is an euphemism for "whitelist that advertisers can pay money to get a spot on", literally adblock plus tier trash
>unironically using software that amounts to nothing but a cryptocurrency scam
creators.brave.com/
brave.com/faq/#unverified-publishers
brave.com/brave-users-get-rewarded-to-browse/

Attached: pepsi.webm (1280x720, 1.94M)

There is a fuckton of difference, you cockmongling retard.