What are some Jow Forums approved game engines???

what are some Jow Forums approved game engines???

Attached: 2fa0lo3jbdd31.png (589x660, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/23998
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I only approve of that one.

sdl is the only Jow Forums-approved game library.

/thread

dilate

wich one is better???

Attached: 0.jpg (1280x664, 136K)

Unity. Anything else is for people who don't want to make games, they just say they do on this cotton weaving rimming board

If you are new as fuck to game development and coding in general you want the engine that will allow you to quickly prototype and see the results of your fuckups asap

Once you're past that and have experience building actual things you want a engine that will force you to take the machine into consideration or you're going to transform into those fucking indie devs who create shitty, bloated and unoptimized 2d games.

Godot because they support OpenBSD

You dont want anything "Jow Forums-approved" because Jow Forums doesnt know anything about game development

>Once you're past that and have experience building actual things you want a engine that will force you to take the machine into consideration
no engine does that, you would have to write your own

this.

Unity fucking sucks, even making your own engine is better. Unless of course you just want to throw pre made shit together.

>Unity fucking sucks
empirically false

Maybe it’s just slow development but a bunch of games on UE4 are really buggy and terribly unoptimized for me.

Juan is a retard. There were people who showed him his entire engine was trash and he could have achieved great speeds with opengl had he used the right data structures and in the end he told them he didn't want o adopt it because it used newer C++ standards.

Retard

Something overly complicated that doesn't properly work

Have you ever used it?

only for a few hours admittedly but it produces results

Thought so

Still faster than Unity or Unreal for simple games

I've just google'd game engines that can use vulcan and unity showed up.
I would have thought godot would be on the list but nope.

You cant argue with the fact that it enables people to create games on a scale not seen before so it did something right

I swear you are the same butthurt CS undergrad in every thread absolutely seething he used a linked list for an unimportant part of the program where he could have used a vector and got an amazing 1% performance increase

>You cant argue with the fact that it enables people to create games on a scale not seen before so it did something right
unity is like the geocities of game engines.

Geocities was more of a hosting service IIRC, it didn't actually make it easier to build the sites

>C#
Nah use something else

What's the best engine to use if you are a codelet?

gamemaker

Is that supposed to be a good thing?
It allowed a bunch of useless people to create shit games and still publish them

Just learn a language or don't even bother making making a game

What's the easiest one to learn that can be applied to making a game?

???

it enabled people to make some good games and its not like you have to play the shit ones

Visual Basic
have fun

None. Make something more useful than a game.

Irrlicht was good but outdated

Unity or UE4. People shouldn't listen to NEETs on Jow Forums that say otherwise. Just pick the one with the biggest community. It will increase your employment chances greatly.
Unity can be a bit more fun if you're a programmer. UE got more artist-oriented features, but knowing both at least at some basic level is always a good idea.

Godot - created by Juan (((Linietsky)))

>to retarded to even use unity
>literally just make an engine

Can also use its own language and Cpp

Look it depends on what you want to do but for newbie game dev it works.
For anything more complex and especially something that has to load big maps you need something more customised.

For 2D: Game Maker (lots of commercially successful 2D games have been created using GM like Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain, Spelunky and Hyper Light Drifter)
For 3D: Unity (no successful game has been made in Unity but it's coming)

t. Amateur gamedev for 13 years

Attached: 1455237954064.png (792x600, 65K)

cringe

Can you link to this fairytale you conjured up from your autistic ass?

off the top of my head cuphead was made in unity.

#metoo

name good unity games

>unity is like the geocities of game engines.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

no worries my target audience is people who are running a computer bought in this century

Godot and love are nice for 2D

hollow knight (though it's a bit buggy), obra dinn, gorogoa, tacoma

good developers won't be restrained of making a good game by an engine

err no.

1% for such as small change would be absolutely incredible.

all bad games

anything done in dx12 or metal
graphics APIs done by OS vendors are always the best

The forest

Problem with UE is that it's singlethreaded

BYOND

>For 3D: Unity (no successful game has been made in Unity but it's coming)
Just to name a few;

Risk of Rain 2
Cuphead
Pillars of Eternity
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Hollow Knight
Dusk
Overcooked

any FOSS engine

>t. Amateur gamedev for 13 years that never achieved a video game in his life

i like source and idengine.

>even making your own engine is better
Too bad that this isn't an option, since you don't have 15 years to spare.

based

KSP

That's why I'm amateur

>though it's a bit buggy
i see what you did there user

Attached: smug_looking_anime_girls_with_condenscending_looks_on_their_face.png (181x220, 27K)

did i fuck up by choosing SFML over SDL?

>Problem with UE is that it's singlethreaded
I got no idea where you've heard that. Both UE and Unity are multithreaded and nothing stops you from creating your own threads.
Yeah, UObjects/GameObjects manipulation is limited to main thread I guess, but if you're serious about optimization you can probably offload most of the stuff and calculations to threads and just fill the data in the main one.
But quite frankly that's probably irrelevant for 99% of Jow Forums. Main thread is usually enough for gameplay.

>did i fuck up by choosing SFML
Yes you should have picked GLFW

People still think it because of UE3 not realizing that UE4 is multithreaded.

I've been misinformed, my bad.

C++ all others are fucking useless

C++ is overrated and fucking abysmal in productivity. Learn Smalltalk and save yourself time.

>C# bad

Attached: brainlet.png (394x262, 22K)

The one used by Touhou

Godot’s HTML5 and iOS exports don’t work with the mono version so you can’t use C# for those. It’s recently been added for Android though and it looks like iOS is next. But HTML5 won’t be complete for another while. And the current version is severely lacking.

Unity has its downfalls but it’s a great engine overall. I don’t really agree with their vision of making it an “easy to use” engine by making things code-free though. I wish they would expose everything and leave the visual scripting implementations up to the asset creators such as Bolt.

If you want to tinker and play around with the engine, pick Godot.

If you want to build a stable game that ports to multiple platforms, pick Unity.

>severely lacking
The HTML5 export of Godot I mean. You get a lost context error if you breathe a little too hard.

Unity’s HTML5 export used to be total shit but it’s improving. It does have a few bugs. It also looks like they’re working on multi-thread support.

It's possible to heavily modify an existing game engine, like what NRS did with UE.

>C# good

Attached: coolest poo.jpg (1024x987, 118K)

Unity and SDL2 are based.

enter the gungeon

Ren'Py

Based Godot

using C# with godot is abnormal, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Cuphead.

Question. Ive been thinking of making a game on the side just for fun. I dont mind a lot of coding as long as its not considered outdated way of doing things.

Would using SDL2 and OpenGL with Glew work well. Ive really only done surface level research into this.

This only applies if you want to use C#.

GDScript is far easier and Cpp is far more performant than C#.

>stupid artificial difficulty boss rush trash
>good
lel

Write 6502 ASM and run on a NES emulator.

Attached: 8bitguy.png (752x442, 548K)

Depends on how much low level graphics programming you wanna do. SDL has its own accelerated 2D rendering pipeline which you can use if you want to avoid using raw OpenGL. Otherwise you're gonna have to spend a lot of time writing boilerplate code just to get some basic sprite manipulation on the screen.

If it's a 3D game then you're probably better off using an engine. Writing a 3D renderer from scratch takes a long time especially if you haven't got experience in the mathematics involved or the graphics API's.

It also depends on which platform you want to deploy on (web, desktop, phone) and what languages you're interested in using. With game development you can get pretty much the same results using many different kinds of tools and approaches.

I like Godot and have it on my computer, but one of my concerns is the lack of console support.

I want to make a 3d game in the style of command and conquer games. Maths and writing code is fine though ive never touched graphics before

Main worry is that what i would be doing is not good practice, if u know what i mean? I dont mind doing things wrong if i can eventually work it out. Hard to put into words but i dont mind recreating the wheel so long as the wheel is a wheel and not an car.

I do intend to release the game for sale at some point in the future, whenever that may be.

>source
look up how many new games use the Source Engine particularly AAA games like Apex Legends. It really blows my mind how strong that engine is.

fteqw

Fucking this. Its a shame the HAMMER editor is so lacking though

So your game will be the XXXXXth Indie shit game that no one will play because it will feel like shit.

there are paid proprietary versions that target consoles but you have to pay to develop non-homebrew games for consoles anyway. Obviously the open source version targeting closed platforms that require a dev kit doesn't make much sense.

it doesn't take 15 years to create engine unless you're a dumb code monkey. Lots of make people make games from scratch in a reasonable amount of time.

github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/23998