FOSS is only free if your time is worthless. You can't get serious work done using FOSS alternatives to Adobe...

FOSS is only free if your time is worthless. You can't get serious work done using FOSS alternatives to Adobe, Microsoft Office, Autodesk etc, and you need either Windows 10 or macOS to use professional software. Linux is not a good desktop operating system, it's really meant for servers. Using Linux on the desktop is only viable if your time is worthless.

Attached: big_1555853861_image.jpg (1280x720, 208K)

ok, buddy. retard.

You sure are spending your useful time in shilling for microsoft and apple here for free.

t. iJeet

>FOSS is only free if your time is worthless.
Reminder that this is true, but all closed source software is equally as time consuming to learn. People only know how to use Windows because they were raised on it for over a decade in schools, and if they weren't it would be just as convoluted and mysterious to them as Linux. Widespread FOSS use will remain a pipe dream as long as Microsoft decides what people get to learn.

The amount of time wasted by a freetard configuring his system is equivalent to the amount of time nonfreetards spend bitching about their distaste of free software to freetards on the internet.

Attached: 1561953979827.png (496x374, 357K)

>FOSS
Means free as in freedom, not free as in price. If the software doesn't fit your needs, then you need to pay for the improvements you want.
>Linux
Is a kernel, not an OS.
>professional software
Does not describe any proprietary software on windows or macos. Software that attacks the user's freedom is not professional and cannot be used for serious work.

Does software usability have anything to do with whether the source code is available?????? A lot of The FOSS software that we have is not as usable as the proprietary because it is not made by big corporations with a shit ton of resources but by some nerds contributing to git in their free time.

Except most people don't actually know shit about using Windows

>microsoft office
Useless.
>autodesk
A majority of people probably don't even know what that is let alone need access to autoCAD.
>adobe
runs in wine.

No one is making you use arch gay. Just get an easy distro like ubuntu if you want something that works and is installed in 10 mins.

why put an anti foss post next to techlead, he's pro foss and said a.lmost any programmer should try and have at least one decently sized open source project

there's a reason why this guy used to work at google.

to be honest I just feel like he just got lucky when he got in.

This. After distro hopping and ricing I'm on Ubuntu with default settings because I have school work to get done.

nice fantasy, the vast majority of nonfree software users don't even know what foss is.

>Adobe
garbage

>MOffice
garbage

>CAD
ok

>Linux is meant for servers
no, Linux is meant for all computers

>Using Linux on the desktop is only viable if your time is worthless.
have fun with your forced updates and searching for product keys

Gotta agree with If it weren't for AutoCAD, there would be no reason to run Windows in a VM

Damn. Swapped the post numbers.

You have to understand that whatever TechLead does, he only does for money. Every time he's about to do something, he stops and asks himself "How is this going to make me more money? If not directly't, will it allow me to complete a task in the future that will make me money?".

One of the FOSS CADs isnt too bad, FreeCAD or LibreCAD, I forget which

KiCAD and GEDA are great for PCB CAD

But yeah, I will agree that CAD on Windows has some better options

Good one

not even meming, i used catia, solidworks, word, excel, and powerpoint all day at work today (airframe desigb) then came home and spent the evening between illustrator and photoshop

pirate master race.
you get the all the benefits of paid software, for free

Attached: 0e9.jpg (600x600, 30K)

based

poorfags btfo

Thats because they are too busy complaining to MS or Applel to fix their issues because they don't have the ability to do it themselves

Free as in freedom kid

Krista is open-source and used by professional artists around the world. kdenlive is good enough for any YouTuber or video editor that isn't working on actual feature length movies. GIMP and Krita together are capable of handling most professional image manipulation tasks or vector work. The only thing we don't really have solid alternatives for are engineering programs like Solidworks.

I'm a working audio engineer, video editor and graphic artist who also does a bit of front-end development for my employer. GNU/Linux and FOSS definitely get the job done if you can get over the baby duck syndrome.

I've made a $100k editing short marketing vids for Facebook ads this year and I only use elementary os, openshot, audacity and gimp so I beg to differ.

Attached: 1556009885851.jpg (1080x1080, 200K)

dilate

That is obvious bullshit since FAANGs are running on Ubuntu LTS and g++ and nowadays clang++

fuck off

>>microsoft office
>Useless.

Only Jow Forums can be this retarded

Attached: lel.jpg (634x650, 45K)

>KiCAD
Came here to post this, it's excellent software. Based CERN.

>Adobe, Microsoft Office, Autodesk etc,
Don't need any of that though.

STFU mongoloid

>t. doesn't know what free means

Adobe supposedly runs in Wine, though I have no idea why anyone would actually willingly run Adobe software on any platform

>gimp can't draw circles

Actual phyicists and rocket scientists use FOSS and not windows or macs.
>t. Physicist on a thinkpad running Debian piped into a cluster running a custom linux kernel

>he doesn't know

Do you mind talking about your job user? What do you do on a daily basis?

okay retard die thanks

I wish I was a ex-Google techlead

Attached: tumblr_nnwy54Nxmn1rgcqrbo1_540.png (540x605, 438K)

I just use whats good and what works for the task at hand.

FLOSS or not

blender is the only genuinely good one I can think of as a replacement to a paid program

>If the software doesn't fit your needs, then you need to pay for the improvements you want.

webshit developer

what the fuck even is a tech lead? did he misspell team lead or is it like scrum master? tech director maybe? what the fuck is up with big companies making up titles?

Attached: 1543462862878.jpg (362x346, 38K)

>tech lead
An effective Tech Lead establishes a technical vision with the development team and works with developers to turn it into reality. Along the way, a Tech Lead takes on traits that other roles may have, such as a Team Lead, Architect or Software Engineering Manager but they remain hands-on with code.

GIMP isn't a drawing tool, it's for image manipulation, if you're creating vector graphics or drawing something use Krita instead. I'll never understand the absolute retards who use Photoshop to do graphic design over Illustrator.

That's just describing what a team lead is though

Pajeet Tactics
>Have name that implies some sort of relation to tech
>combined with something else that implies a higher understanding or leader
it's the same as saying "Your number one source of XYZ"

The amount of time wasted by a freetard configuring his system is equivalent to the amount of nonfreetards spend configuring their system. (because guess what, nonfree shit is far from good and is much harder to configure, faggot.)

generally i agree but i had to use notation software recently for the first time in years recently and musescore is just as good as i remember sibelius to be

Attached: savesibelius.png (776x629, 43K)

microdick office alternatives:
libreoffice
open office
markdown
fucking latex
fucking groff/troff
nigger don't try telling me there aren't proper alternatives to proprietary bloat/spyware

>not mentioning org-mode

Attached: Natsuki_vomitting.png (405x770, 301K)

>You can't get serious work done using FOSS
And here I've been working as a programmer for years and this never occurred to me.

but were you ever an ex-Google tech lead fag??

>adobe
>runs in wine
linux has better alternatives that let you edit PDF's

but you are still a faggit with a tatt

Imagine, I can write a shitty program that is useful to someone so they pay me - but I can keep the secret and never have to work in my life. LOL at all the dumbfags with nonscalable jobs, their lifes will get jsut shittier and shittier.

Up until some dumbass will realize that it's not about work any more (it is not, already today).

Who cares retard?
He's more free than them because he doesn't do the evil of google
He's more free than you because he has a better job than you