I can grab one of these for less than $300 today. Is this a good deal...

I can grab one of these for less than $300 today. Is this a good deal? I will install GNU/Lunux on it and use it to learn C

Attached: dell-precision-m4800-i7-8gb-ram-240-ssd-win-10-478-p.jpg (1500x1126, 64K)

>use it to learn C
you can do that on a $30 laptop you retard

so it's not a good deal?

Installing linux to learn C

Attached: 1494143889976.gif (460x259, 1.93M)

this, GCC is unethical trash that fucks users and locks developers into their shitty toolchain by violating language standards

Before the FOSS autists derail everything beyond repair, yes go for it learn. Fly eagle fly. Fly so very high and show the world you have dare. Stay the fuck away from k&r C and stick to K.n. King and torrent a udemy course or two. This place is basically cancer for your brain.

Attached: doomguy-finally-realizes-why-he-can-amp-039-t-drink-his-coffee_fb_2475069.jpg (300x300, 25K)

you're not wrong but does he really need a bulk-ass mobile workstation for it
for a code monkeying box I'd rather have something smaller

I have a 15.7 and wish i had a 17.3. I'll carry that big bitch around no shame.

Well depending on how many lines of code he needs to write it could make a big difference at compile time.

Set up a workstation at home or office with a big ass monitor. Its what i did and nice to be able to take my laptop somewhere quiet for small shit. Just back everything up.

is TCC usable at all?

to be real I've never tried it, I unironically use an old HP workstation to write/test my ANSI code

That means he should simply use clang on any BSD, then.

no reason to use it over GCC if you don't understand why you might do so

of course, I hardly compile anything anyway
I'm just wondering about these things

The m4800 has a PWM display, so if you are sensitive to that. Be careful.

if you want to write code as portably as possible GCC is bad at enforcing standards like ANSI

if you just want to fuck around with C or build/modify C sources that are mostly built for GNUshit anyway it's fine

Posting from an m4800 right now on Buster. Would highly recommend.

Why the fuck do they put the trackpad so far to the left!? Most people are right handed!

Centered ignoring the numpad.
If you weren't a brainlet normie you'd realize it's because the trackpoint is more important to have positioned between the G and H keys

>If you weren't a brainlet normie you'd realize it's because the trackpoint is more important to have positioned between the G and H keys
Why can't they do that and have a centered trackpad as well?

Because the buttons for the trackpoint are mounted above the trackpad you retard.

Also, most people who type a lot do so using letters in case you haven't noticed. Positioning the trackpad below the spacebar makes it more comfortable for working

OP here, I'm left handed

I don't want to hi-jack op, but what would be the minimum required system for solely coding. Like not just C, but also other languages like lisp, smalltalk, etc.

>Why can't they do that and have a centered trackpad as well?
I'm the one you were replying to.
But basically the same as other guy. It's because you're retarded. Putting it "centered" means that when hands are near the letter keys it's a shorter travel distance.
And did I mention you're retarded?

Attached: thinkpad w701.jpg (2500x2500, 629K)

>C, Smalltalk, Lisp
Commodore Amiga 500 with a kickstart 2.x ROM.

also if it were centered on the laptop instead of with respect to the keyboard letters, your palms would always rest on the touchpad

Fuck you, mutant.

Hi, left handed. I'm ambidexterous.

Oh, it never occurred to me that those secondary right and left clicks were for that. This entire time I've just been using my middle finger and thumb when my trackpad glitches out and I have to use the trackpoint until it goes back to normal. I don't like how raised those buttons feel compared to the other right and left buttons.

Thank you for confirming you're retarded. We didn't need it but thanks anyway.

Pretty much a toaster. A Dell D630 can be found friggin cheap and has a comfy keyboard.

What are you so butthurt about?

It's not; and the trackpoint is the priority and the only input method you should be using. Fucking brainlet.
Definitely. Last good laptops Dell made IMO. I have three.

Attached: fucking retards.jpg (4032x3024, 3.33M)

>It's not; and the trackpoint is the priority and the only input method you should be using. Fucking brainlet.
Why the fuck would I do that? It's total shit compared to the trackpad.

Buy x220 instead

>it's total shit
Says the guy who hasn't used one for more than a week.
I bet you use Windows 10, too, because you're scared of changes that'll pay off in the long run.

Attached: d630keybd_a4mb.jpg (4032x3024, 3.49M)

More than a good deal, OP

Attached: 1.jpg (750x781, 143K)

Any issues with drivers? What's your battery life like?

>16:9 1366x768
>can't get it without a touchpad
>no screen latch
>the only redeeming feature is the keyboard

Attached: DSC_0106-blr-brt.jpg (3008x2000, 2.3M)

We get it. You're too retarded to use a trackpoint. Duly noted. Now please stop embarrassing yourself.

Arguing about a trackpoint is embarrasing.

only to the guy who refuses to use one on a tech board

I wonder what your personal relationships are like.

Should have used Windows. Linux has NO GAEMS.

Only to the retard who keeps trying to shit on it and keeps getting told.

pretty cordial and child-free

>Says the guy who hasn't used one for more than a week.
Is this some linux type deal where using something that's objectively clunkier is supposed to give me more cred?

you should learn rust instead. prepare fo rthe future

>Clunkier

I can type and use the trackpoint without ever moving my hands from the home row.

Except that objectively:
* it's closer to your fingers while you type
* it causes less motion strain through long term use (at least, with the soft rim cap)
* It doesn't cause false clicks while you're typing (even if you are a retard and/or your hands are massive, the mouse will move but not click and change focus.

That test you're citing from wikipedia was testing people who had largely never used a trackpoint before. It does take a couple weeks to really get into the groove of when you're used to retarded input devices

I'm not the guy you were initially arguing with.
Get out for a bit and get some pussy.

not if GO has to say anything

Abandoning thread. You helpless autist motherfuckers never cease to amaze.

Attached: 1564179135837.png (326x250, 33K)

I get it regularly. But the wife agrees with me that children would tear us apart financially and that it'd be irresponsible to pass on her chronic joint pain (she's double jointed pretty much everywhere and it makes things take a lot more wear on her body).
Also we agree that they're satan spawn.
So yeah go fuck yourself basically, since your hand's all you've got going for you

>I'm not the guy you were initially arguing with.

I'm sorry you included yourself in the retard group and now feel offended.

Just get a thinkpad if your going used or a new dell insprion 3000 (just swap out to an SSD) if you go new

I don't know what the fuck study you're even talking about, I just know what feels comfortable and what doesn't. The tiny amount of travel from track to keyboard is hardly a big deal, especially for someone that's used to using a mouse, motion strain is something only soibois get from normal computer use, and I don't get false clicks anyway since I disabled trackpad clicking. Meanwhile the trackpad is this tiny little nub small, feel like I'm trying to stimulate your little sister's clit while I'm operating it and undershooting or overshooting everything on screen unless I legit dedicate focus to using the fucking thing (unlike a trackpad) and you're expecting to get any kind of accuracy off that fucking thing?

Kids are great. Its a wonderful feeling creating something and watching it grow. Living for yourself in a permanent adolescence must feel hollow. Especially knowing that no amount of weeb/waifu shit will fulfill you.

have you used an actual thinkpad trackpoint? Have you tried the differetn caps? Changing the sensitivity?
People say that, but I just say that I'd rather better myself and grow a deeper bond w/ my spouse.
If anything, adopt. But I don't see that in the cards now.

Attached: tp3.jpg (3072x2981, 2.54M)

I have zero waifu shit, and own two volumes of Dragonball. That is it.
I take meaning from human interactions, conventions, and my wife. Not from base biological urges to fuck and die.

By conventions, I primarily refer to HAM radio conventions, car meets, vintage computer conventions, and other places I can meet new friends and learn things.

>I'd rather better myself and grow a deeper bond w/ my spouse.
Good outlook. Also plenty of kids out there looking for parents.

>Not from base biological urges to fuck and die
If that is all it means to you then you don't understand the concepts of creation and responsibility. You reduce things to hedonism and cynicism.

As opposed to untenable reproduction leading to ever harsher competition for resources

Attached: ayy lmao.png (412x128, 13K)

You're sad.

Cynical? Sure. Hedonistic? I make my own stuff whenever possible. I fabricate parts for my 25 year old car. I take pride in my work.

Attached: usb hub lego.jpg (4608x3456, 3.04M)

>he posts a W701
there goes my no-fap

Hedonistic : engaged in the pursuit of pleasure; sensually self-indulgent.

It doesn't just apply to people who frequent night clubs or indulge in mind altering substances.

hi everybody im just joining this thread. id like to summarize my political views as these:
but except with "trackpoints rock"

OKAY OP, THAT'S A GOOD BUY, BUT STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM K&R OUTDATED BY ANY MEANS, IF ANYTHING SKIM IT AFTER YOU'VE DIPPED WAY MORE THAN YOUR TOES WITH THE LANGUAGE AS A MEANS TO GET SOME "A-HA" MOMENTS.

FOR LEARNING PURPOSES YOU WOULD BE DOING A DISSERVICE TO YOURSELF IF YOU DO NOT READ K. N. KING'S BOOK.

GOOD JOURNEYS.

Not a problem if you follow standards rather than leaning on gcc extensions.
What's next? GNU Bash bad?

>stay away from K&R
Linus would like to have a word with you, heretic.

>waaahh why don't you conform to the memes
Let me guess, you also installed gentoo, wear a Casio watch and listen to music from a Sansa with your m-50's?