Ableton and Splice on Linux?

Literally the only thing stopping me from making the full switch is music production. I use Ableton as my daw and Splice for samples/backups. I'm aware of things like wine, but performance is a must (near native) and I need nice USB passthrough. How do?

Attached: download.png (225x224, 9K)

rip png

Have a dedicated audio station

what kind of music do you make?

edm in general!

oh christ

Use Renoise instead of Gaybleton.

Do what I do and have hard drives you can switch between computers and a mini mixer and kvm switch so you can use two OS together

You're fucked. You might want to take a look at Bitwig Studio, it's very similar to Live (it's made by ex-employees from Ableton) and it runs natively on Linux. But you're still fucked since the most used VSTs aren't available for Linux anyway.

t. music producer who has to use windows unwillingly everyday

Stick with Windows until more companies take the day of time to port their vst over to the Linux vst format.

eh its not worth it to switch for you
From experience linux is superior for three social groups mostly: programmers, academics and old people

real musicians and producers don't use VSTs. They make their own samples and instruments.

OP invest in a good portable recorder instead

add video editors to this. the entirety of hollywoo uses davinci on either cent or some other distro

>the entirety of hollywoo uses davinci on either cent or some other distro
Bullshit.
1. Most of Hollywood doesn't use Davinci Resolve
2. The Linux version of Davinci Resolve does not have all the features that are in the Windows version

yeah that's pretty bullshit, davinci is used in hollywood productions but by independent studios who do color grading and the likes for feature films

kvm, maybe.
personally I prefer a windows host and just run linux in WSL or a VM or docker or something.

I do plan on getting a second hard drive and installing macos on it though, which (supposedly) is the best of both worlds.

there's LMMS
tough shit if you dont like it

>1. Most of Hollywood doesn't use Davinci Resolve
maybe not as the only program in their editing pipeline, but almost every film has some work done in it
>2
what features?

Try Bitwig, it's a lot like Ableton and it runs on Linux.
What kind of latency can you get on Linux, nowadays, does anyone know? Actual measured latency (RTL), not just what is reported.

Waiting for that too. Just use a virtual machine (VirtualBox or aqemu). Works perfect.

Attached: AQEMU-GUI-for-virtual-machines.png (883x591, 138K)

If you're making the move for reasons other than freedom, we don't give a fuck and don't want you anyway.

Attached: rms.jpg (403x447, 35K)

>but almost every film has some work done in it
Only if that studio doesn't already have color grading software which is bundled with almost everything they use.
>what features?
You're the expert on Hollywood, and video editing, so maybe you should know.

Linux the kernel have slower, laggier latency than NT. It'll never be used for serious music work.

t. what is rt kernels

I'm in the same situation
Renoise is definitely worth a try. I might just switch over to it completely. Licenses are cheap and it's very well designed. I tried out Ardour and Reaper but Renoise kind of blew them out of the water. There are actually some areas where it beats Ableton.
I've also been thinking about trying out Ableton on Wine. Surprised I haven't just tried it, considering the amount of times I've googled it out of interest. It's incredibly expensive though, and paying top-dollar to a company that doesn't even support your operating system seems... Wrong
Then there's Bitwig studio, which I've just found out has a demo version. So guess I'll try that... Significantly cheaper than Ableton and runs natively on Linux.
By the way if you're not aware, there are tonnes of kernel modifications and audio server configurations you can delve into on Linux. Things like realtime kernels and JACK. And on Linux it's much easier to eliminate bloat like desktop environments, drivers etc.

>ITT: one fucking guy brings up the only functional answer What the fuck is so hard about buying like 4gb more RAM so you can run a VM? You have a little setup to take care of, but then you've got your comfy *nix environment alongside a window with your windows-required software.

It's summer, so tl;dr: just set up a virtual machine with Windows 10 ltse or whatever

VM is bullshit for any real-time low latency work. If you weren't an underage faggot you'd know this.

Ubuntu studio is perhaps the only distro with low latency

what, because it comes with a realtime kernel and jack preinstalled? just do that manually on arch and you don't have to deal with DE bloat

Have you tried adjusting the latency sensitivity for your VM guests?

arch isn't stable enough for production

what is it about production in particular that requires 100% stability?

Money

Maybe switch to Bitwig?

>he does not write his own VST's
>he does not use Hardware Synthesisers
>He doe not use real instruments and recorded samples

Isnt pic related the master slave bdsm symbol