Why all the hate with [pic related] ?

Why all the hate with [pic related] ?

Attached: electron.png (728x380, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols2-material.html
sciter.com/
docs.gluonhq.com/client/
openjfx.io/openjfx-docs/#gradle.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/sort
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it shouldn't even exist, at this point you should either use Qt or fuck off

most popular JS projects are popular precisely because they're made in JS and most noons would rather not have to learn something new

I don't hate it. I even get why it's popular. But every time I tried atom it was so slow I was tempted to kill myself. Same with other applications. Not worth half a triple-digit MB download.

>literally a neutered web browser to run some incompetent nigger's js code
gee I wonder why

It allows developers to quickly create apps that look exactly how they want, which is great. The only drawback is that it is a serious resource hog and if you have 3 or 4 electron apps running at the same time your computer is going to struggle.

In my mind that kind of mentality where performance doesn't matter is horrible, and it is why we have so much bloated and horribly written apps nowadays. Optimization isn't a thing people care about. Now we just have people saying "it only uses 30% of your RAM so you have plenty left over!"

Agreed. Reminds me of the people that don't have a problem with Windows taking up most of their resources because "just upgrade ur ram dude lol"

>it only uses 30% of your RAM
I have 16GB to spend, I don't care if 30% is being used. Why do I need ram if it's not being used? I upgraded from 8GB and I don't feel the difference.
That was chrome with 7 tabs open, 3 of which are video content (twitch and youtube).

Attached: 1.png (915x793, 188K)

>not LTSC
>discord
>steam
>all the windows bloat and telemetry enabled
>chrome
>twitch
You need to go back there >///v/

If QT had the same customization ability as html, css, and js, then you would make a valid point. Unfortunately, all QT apps like like they're from the mid 2000s.

Because what happens when you want to use a real app and it starts freezing up because chrome has 7 tabs open and you have Slack running in the background? That's unacceptable for anyone who wants to do any kind of real work on a computer

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-31_23-53-12.png (572x82, 5K)

>Qt apps
I mean the C++ framework which can be customized with html and css btw

Get a qt theme retard

Qt has superior QML, which is all of that in one. And it uses much much less ram (around 10-20mb) and much better performance.

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10].sort()
> [1, 10, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]

You pretend it's possible to make apps like Slack and Discord with QT.

Yes it's true. Someone actually posted that.

there's like a hundred desktop css engines that aren't shit

doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols2-material.html

how fucking retarded are you m8

Speaking of Material, I just remembered Flutter is soon coming to desktops.
Wonder if it will get any traction. Dart is already pretty similar to JS, and Flutter is also similar to React, so it's not hard to switch from one environment to another.

Attached: 1_mErwwNfNPtZX0QyqsJJ0oQ.png (700x393, 289K)

I literally installed windows yesterday, give me time.
And I installed discord just before this just to take the screenshot

>Installs Discord "just for the screenshot"
No wonder you don't care if chrome eats all of your RAM

>electron
Literally anything is better. Even tkinter is and easier to use. Pic related is like 30 lines of code.

Attached: Screenshot_20190731-191649_Remotix.jpg (957x807, 247K)

Because I always mistake is for Electrum Wallet.

There's a discord client in QT...

>he doesn't know Win+Shift+S
you don't deserve to use windows, pajeet

Yeah Flutter is supporting basically every platform it's insane. Electron will be considered garbage by everybody once the project matures

>muh memory
if the memory was fixed to use OS libraries would there still be complaining?

>apps
theyre called programs you js monkey

>windows users arent pajeets
retard

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Electron doesn't even have to be slow, it's just often utilised incorrectly.
I'm still surprised by how quickly Adobe Dimension works despite being built in electron.

i understand each electron app ships with a full version of chromium.
i thought I heard there could be an effort to make electron not do that
why the fuck would you think that's /v/?
no i don't know the internals of electron, but you are not constructive

Chromium already uses the systems standard library malloc, memcpy, etc.
its /v/ because you are a retard and belong there.

i obviously meant electron wouldn't spawn a new chromium process, and instead use the same shit it does under the hood. that's why people complain about the memory because it could be 1/10th of the size it did that.
if you don't know what someone is talking about don't call them retarded

I've used a couple electron app and it doesn't seem to slow to me, seems pretty ok and great for web devs wanting to get into software dev. Am I just using it wrong or something?

Attached: download (4).jpg (225x225, 12K)

unused ram is wasted ram

Dumb ass pajeet.

obviously if your apps arent slow as shit youre using it wrong

It's just amazing and people are envious to how easily and fast people can get big cross platform apps working with js nowadays.
All the electron apps I use run very smooth and aren't resource-intensive. To all the anons bickering about its performance: what apps are you using and do you maybe have some links to tickets or explanations of what performance issues you're speaking of?

>Adobe Dimension works despite being built in electron.
Is it? I can't find any source backing that up, it doesn't seem likely anyway.

t. literal pajoot
This exact case is one of the first things in the docs
>Specifies a function that defines the sort order. If omitted, the array elements are converted to strings, then sorted according to each character's Unicode code point value.
followed by
>If compareFunction is not supplied, all non-undefined array elements are sorted by converting them to strings and comparing strings in UTF-16 code units order. For example, "banana" comes before "cherry". In a numeric sort, 9 comes before 80, but because numbers are converted to strings, "80" comes before "9" in the Unicode order. All undefined elements are sorted to the end of the array.
This sort of illiterate pajeetery is the reason Electron is a bloated dumpster fire in the first place

Run it and see for yourself.

Except that I'd rather my RAM be split between 10 optimised programs than be maxed out on single pile of shit like an electron app

the spurious argument that it's a rapid development environment when, actually, pissing around with html, css and javascript is slower than almost anything else. the fact is that these are just webshits who don't know how to do anything else. ideally webshits would fuck off altogether, but they should at least stick to the web and leave the desktop well alone.

the inordinate RAM consumption depriving me of the ability to run all the programs that i want to run simultaneously in "only" 8 billion bytes of RAM. no i will not buy more RAM just to accommodate your chat application. i should fucking bill you.

the keystroke lag that is roughly equal to sending a packet across the atlantic

the grind when you click anything because it has to do herculean amounts of lookup and modification to the DOM

slow, bloated, fucking garbage. a terrible idea.

I'LL decide how I want programs running on my computer to look, thanks very much. And I want them consistent.

Are you ok user?

kill yourself webshite

Game developers have figured out that having high system requirements reduces the number of people who can & will use your product. Why can't webdevs LARPing as desktop developers figure this out too?

you can css to style your qt application, just like webshit.

thats an assumption that you only run one application. if one application hogs memory, other applications wont be able to use it.

No, don't tell him that. Now how will he cope with the fact he's a brainlet?

>dude what if every application was just another bloated chrome instance
fuck off

Basically botnet, bloat, and odd feeling interface. To elaborate it's because resource usage (disk, memory, processor) is way too high for what it does. The usually included things like Google analytics add to the already bloated app with anti-user botnet making the problem even worse. Then there's the interfaces which are non-native and feel completely out of place while missing functionality. It feels like a webpage because it is.
I think it's electron is good for hobbyists but supposed professionals using lets me know how little they care/know.

>Jow Forums doesn't like a popular framework
Well stop the fucking presses. RAD and fancy animations are far more important to people who use Electron, than having a much uglier version of the program but that can also run on a 486.
It's not for everything, but clearly it has some uses. Why does Jow Forums always feel the need to get defensive about this kind of stuff? Frameworks aren't a zero-sum game, Electron is never going to replace Qt or WPF..

Attached: thinking.png (800x600, 46K)

electron is shit for RAD and you know it. why so defensive?

>Frameworks aren't a zero-sum game
they are when i have to choose between running your shitty fucking app and any other fucking apps

>blah blah blah why don't people like garbage
fuck yourself and die

*eats your ram*
*eats your cpu*

How about no fucking apps? Tinder isn't the only application available.

it's fucking garbage to work with

Not the user who asked, but I'll take that as a "no".

You all need to take the sciter pill , I have made programs with it that use maybe 10mb of ram max. You have to learn a few new things but can make really nice looking things.

sciter.com/

NO. This is just wrong. I don't wanna install an application that looks like shit and then need to use a theme. It's already a fucking mess how you need to customize themes for gtk and qt. That's why there should be a standard for user graphical interface, so the custom theme cancer can already die.

Performance overhead and binary size.

Anything but holyC is bloat.

Qt or JavaFX. JavaFX has actually become pretty comfy ever since it has been decoupled from the JDK and been devloped by Gluon. They're even working native images now docs.gluonhq.com/client/

learn to type then, "fix the memory so it uses os libraries" doesnt sound like what you meant

Interesting. I thought JavaFx was dead. Was really fun when I used Java some time ago for a program.

Not dead at all, quite the opposite. Gluon is actively working on JavaFX and they're finally not bound to JDK release cycles anymore.
It has also become piss easy to generate runtime images for Java applications openjfx.io/openjfx-docs/#gradle. The next JDK release is going to include jpackager which enables you to create executables and installers.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say

no one should be using html for programs

i agree; electron and its shitty nonstandard appearance has to go

Html and css is just used for it to create widgets , you can use c++ , go and other languages for the actual program. The whole thing is a binary that is 5mb in size and uses less ram than qt widgets.

>i'm not sure what you're trying to say

Attached: whew.png (385x335, 34K)

never use any app written using Electron on a high refresh rate monitor or you will give yourself brain damage from input lag fatigue

Name?

I tried running the example flutter desktop app and it maxed out a cpu thread, so I won't be holding my breath for this.

Attached: 1561263908409.png (1200x1024, 652K)

Ripcord

>16 gigs to spend
Guess what? Normal people only has 4, 8 if they have a Mac or a ultrabook

My issue with Flutter is that is way to opinionated. Granted, it is really easy to learn. But IMO it's really hard to make Flutter apps that aren't full of soup code.

I wish they exposed a lower level API so that we could run different languages on top of it. The OOP MVC Flutter architecture is really lame.

>unused ram is wasted ram

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

just imagine that I sell you a program saying that its "better than the others because it uses all your RAM memory, that means its an efficient program "

hahahahaahahaha

Snipping tool? That's literally what I used user

Comes with over 200mb of fucking runtime files FOR EACH PROGRAM.
Slow as fuck.
Hogs RAM like crazy.
Needs costly abstractions every time a native operating system is being used.

>Has the fucking nerve to ask why it's hated.

Into the trash you go OP.

>Pic related is like 30 lines of code.
But it looks like crap.

thats not his point tho.
do you even know what we are talking about here? this is not about GUI this is about the complete program.

Electron "apps" look like crap.

You can style it however you want with ttk. And it still will start up instantly. And will still be ~30 lines. And 100 windows of that calculator will run in the same amoumt of RAM as a single electron calculator "app" that does exactly the same thing. And this will be instantly crisp and responsive unlike the inherent sluggishness of electron. And this has no added botnet to worry about. And you can write it in 5 minutes. Face it, electron is shit while everything else including lowly shat upon tkinter is better amd even easier to develop with which is the only claim of worthless electron instantly blown out of the water.

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/sort

Show us. If it only takes 5 minutes and 30 lines of codes, surely you can do it, can't you?

>vlad the implyier.jpg

>he doesn't know about QML
It's literally javascript but without running a full web browser.

Yeah, because people only run 1 program at a time...
Fucking retard.