DNS Providers

Is there any reason not to use 1.1.1.1? Fast and encrypted and Cloudflare is alright. If not, what do you use and why?

Attached: 1111.png (512x512, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/namebench/
ctrl.blog/entry/unbound-tls-forwarding.html
grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/commitment-to-privacy/privacy-policy/privacy-policy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cloudflare is not alright

Cloudflare is probably a botnet.
Try opennic

Cus it's closed source and proprietary. Use opendns instead.

Attached: 1.png (226x49, 2K)

i use adguard dnscrypt.

If I use either opennic or opendns, should I use dnscrypt for encryption?

No

slower than gugl

Which DNS is subject to how close you are to the various DNS options. Use the DNS benchmark utility to help identify the best ones

Based schizo

this one?
aur.archlinux.org/packages/namebench/

DNS-over-TLS > DNS-over-HTTPS

also privacy > speed

>encrypted
[X] Doubt

Why is this true? And it looks like dnscrypt uses dns over https, so what do you use for dns over tls?

USE YOUR OWN AND USE PFSENSE

Less bloat. Running protocols over HTTP isn't a new idea, but it's been shit in everything else. We have a DNS protocol, we have TLS, why dump a load of HTTP on top of it?

Unbound does it natively, I think a few others do it also.
ctrl.blog/entry/unbound-tls-forwarding.html

>Cloudflare is alright
Cloudflare is fucking botnet cancer.

>Is there any reason not to use 1.1.1.1?
Some companies and organizations boycott 1.1.1.1 so their hosts resolve to 127.0.0.1. I got bitten by this about 6 months ago so I switched back to 8.8.8.8

you mean 9.9.9.9 right?

Attached: lips.gif (250x333, 2.2M)

nah is fastr i chezkd

bitten how?

previous thread

wtf that seems pointless, how would you look up the address for the DNS server

>MITMA botnet
Fuck off

Use DNS-over-TLS if possible. DNSCrypt only protects against spoofing, while DoT also provides privacy. Unfortunately, OpenNIC doesn't officially provide DoT right now.

Could I run pfsense on an rpi? Do I need ANOTHER server machine to run DNS?

Honeypit surely?

securedns.eu
censurfridns.dk
dnsprivacy.at

How did cloudflare manage to buy the very first IPv4 address?

They paid APNIC a lot of money. 1.1.1.1 is not the first IP address, by the way.

>when MITMing your responses is not enough, you also need them to MITM your name resolution
oh yeah i sure love cloudflare cock right in the morning

Attached: 1478185350187.jpg (482x403, 125K)

;^)

Attached: pfsense.png (1463x638, 85K)

>Some companies and organizations boycott 1.1.1.1
AKA exclusively the archive.is guy

The funny thing is the archive.is guy is doing it in a way that harms users privacy. If he set it up correctly like everyone else it would work. He is intentionally breaking it and compromising privacy. Cloudflare has their shit set up correctly.

Yeah I think everyone is aware of that at this point

Why?

whenever I set network.trr mode to 3, I can't use the internet anymore

It routes me to some retarded slow servers for certain resources and makes overall route in those particular cases like 2xtimes longer with higher ping.
So in my case it only makes certain websites slower and milliseconds difference in DNS access matters fuck all.
Also archive.is doesn't work with 1.1.1.1 (funny enough, they use Cloudflare themselves) so I have to manually fetch it with any other DNS instead.

a better provider considering your location.

It's a windoze utility but is designed with WINE in mind grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

network.trr.mode 3 forces you to use the IP or the DNS Query URL you have set. 2 falls back to your ISP's DNS.
network.trr.mode 3 not working but 2 working correctly means you're not actually using DoH probably, just like it happened to an user in that thread too.

>and Cloudflare is alright.
Nothing about Cloudflare is alright, or just simply right to begin with.

Want to have privacy? Run your own DNS resolver or use opennic.
>but muh speed
Your computer (either the OS or the program accessing the network) caches DNS results.

>also privacy > speed
Maybe in 2005. That's just not true anymore. Everyone sells your data now. Everyone preaches privacy. Everyone is lying.

>Is there any reason not to use 1.1.1.1?
Ctrl+F "WHAT INFORMATION DOES THE CLOUDFLARE RESOLVER COLLECT?"
developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/commitment-to-privacy/privacy-policy/privacy-policy/

I use AdGuard Default. Dunno if it's any good, but I haven't heard any serious complaints about it, so I guess it's fine.

>Ctrl+F "WHAT INFORMATION DOES THE CLOUDFLARE RESOLVER COLLECT?"
I'm not actually seeing anything to be concerned about there.

And you're a fag

if its not in ur hosts file its not worth going

Because their services constantly go down, how can I trust those amateurs?

Point to something on that list which would have a serious impact on your privacy.