Alright Jow Forums, I wanna learn C++ and I wanna do it right...

Alright Jow Forums, I wanna learn C++ and I wanna do it right. It has many specifications and the amount of online learning resources is fucking massive, that's why I need your help - what resources do you recommend to learn modern and refined C++? What progression do you suggest?
I know C so I guess I won't struggle with pointers / memory management but I don't want to make the mistake of "coding C in C++", nor I want to waste time studying archaic stuff.
Please save me from the Rust trannies.

Attached: cpp.png (1200x1349, 69K)

c++20

just learn Rust lmao

learncpp.com

just invent genders and cut off your dick lmao

there is unironically nothing wrong with either of those things

>I know C
Then you're already 99% of the way there. Just write shit like you normally would but instead use C++ features like its string library and stuff.

>I know C

HAHAHA

Attached: yugiohcel.png (480x640, 433K)

I'd guess C++ specifications don't work like "discard everything and learn the latest one"

That's the inefficient "coding C in C++" style I want to avoid

>That's the inefficient "coding C in C++" style I want to avoid
As long as you aren't doing retarded shit like C-style strings or malloc in your C++ code, you're fine. There's some differences between C and C++, but in practice C++ is just a superset of C. Just get used to its standard library and you're basically there.

based

he should just stick to C.

Well, I'd suggest watching barney starsoup's "the essence of modern c++" and some cppcon videos. It'll give you a taste of the recommended idioms.

The biggest philosophical difference is to do with the optimiser, I think. When C was new, there wasn't enough RAM to do anything but spit out machine code statement-by-statement, so you had to do things in a fairly directly-efficient manner. The philosophy behind C++ is to use abstractions that you're confident the optimiser will be able to un-do in order to raise the level of abstraction without undue performance impact.

If you do nothing else, learn the RAII pattern, which is favoured over manual resource allocation.

It depends on what you're doing.

>it's 2019
>he's not learning Ruby

Attached: Ruby-Universe.png (1200x630, 481K)

It's good that you recognize that writing C in C++ is a mistake.
Read bjarne's book and scott meyer's essentials series to get you started with "modern C++."
C++ is so massive that you shouldn't expect to learn it without dedicating a significant amount of time practicing it.
Once you get to the point where stuff like template metaprogramming (using templates as a pure functional programming language), is one of the only things left, you are competent enough at C++.
Though you should still learn the more esoteric features at some point.

you're probably the last person on earth who still doesn't know how to code in c++

except that it shows a complete lack of being fully there mentally

Good luck, it's so big and complicated that probably only 10 people on this planet know it.

>he thinks he needs to know C++ in order to use it

why do you want to suffer?

I assumed by "learn" he meant wanted to understand how it works. If you just want to use it people somehow find a way without really learning how it works.

Why is it that you election tourists are constantly thinking about traps and penis?

Attached: aiportraits_1563646777.jpg (512x512, 20K)