Is it possible to make 1080p movies look better on a 1440p monitor? or are 4k movies a must?

Is it possible to make 1080p movies look better on a 1440p monitor? or are 4k movies a must?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457455-REG/lg_27ul500_w_27_ultra_hd_color.html/specs
pastebin.com/raw/4kSjdiTn
youtu.be/pfxS2Z8PAUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

madVR

If your shit doesn't compensate without addons and modifications, you need to switch softwares. MPV does this off the bat. If you're wondering about YouTube and Netflix, die in a fire.

no.

not really.

nope

>going anywhere above 1080p
>falling for the 4k meme

Attached: 4f57e0170dd781870e42f43eed850591.png (420x420, 405K)

I'm on 1440p

no, you're basically fucked
1080p doesn't look all that great on 1440p displays
2160p bluray movies are hdr so that's a no-no

>2019
>still being a resolutionlet

doesn't most software just transcode it to sdr on demand ?

Yes, of course.
There is software (eg. mpv) which will upscale the resolution in non-trivial ways.

???
Saying "no" doesn't invalidate facts.

you mean hdr to sdr tone mapping, it's not ideal and players have it as a fallback procedure. you should watch sdr content on sdr displays and hdr content on hdr-capable displays.

does hdr to sdr tone mapping mess up the quality ?

yes, only the colors

Are HDR and 10bit mutually exclusive?

wtf so it will look worse than a sdr movie ? man i'm really regretting upgrading to a 1440p monitor fuck i'm still able to return mine so i dunno.

Your monitor 10bit?

8bit 1440p/144hz IPS

How much did you pay bro?
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457455-REG/lg_27ul500_w_27_ultra_hd_color.html/specs

$350 before taxes

it's only 60hz :/

Yeah but it's a matte, 4k, FreeSync, HDR10 and 10bit IPS panel for under 300 without pivot and swivel and without taxes.

>27"
>4k
It's a piece of shit, that's what it is.
>lets make unusable products just for shits and giggles
If you use scaling, kys
If you're not retarded, don't buy 4k at less than 32" size

Yeah and how much would that take me back?

>i'd rather buy some shit just because on paper it looks nice rather than something that's actual usefull
Might as well buy 24"-27" QHD IPS for cheaper, at least it won't be gimped by some nonsense

There's nothing wrong with scaling, stop using a shitty OS.

>gimped
nice headcanon

>nothing wrong with scaling, just pay more for higher resolution and have the real estate of a 30 year old FHD CRT
rather not

>300 freedom tokens
>paying more
You outed yourself as a retard. I'm not paying 300 bucks for a TN panel with 1080p resolution with no HDR and no 10bit just because it's 144Hz. Now fuck off, retard.

ok, fag

>choice between upscaling 1080p to 1440p and downscaling 4K to 1440p
You're fucked either way, this thing was made for gaming/working not for movies.

>muh real estate
lol

>not watching 4 HD movies at once
pleb

It's as easy as this.

Attached: 720 vs 1080.jpg (720x740, 124K)

Fuck, I really want to get this now

I dare you to find me a better monitor that is cheaper. Alright, not a better monitor but with the same specs. Go on, I'll wait

idk, see for yourself:
2160p HDR to SDR tone mapped, downscaled to 1080p (madVR default settings) vs SDR 1080p
forgot to save the images as png (jpg 90% quality)

pastebin.com/raw/4kSjdiTn

Attached: SDR.01.21.59.374.jpg (1920x1080, 121K)

HDR10, HDR10+ are 10-bit
Dolby Vision is 12-bit

Seems like someone is still stuck in the last decade lmao.

Video2x

There's upscale techniques that are quite good. I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on the idea that I'll upscale forever though.

>or are 4k movies a must?
>something that barely exists is a must
Yeah... Unless you plan on watching blockbusters from the past few years, you're not getting anything in 1440p even, forget 4K.
Okay geniuses, here's what happens to your performance just by the virtue of your GPU having to push so many pixels in 1440p (three minutes in):
youtu.be/pfxS2Z8PAUQ
Also for . Not sure how true that is for gaming.

Movies, even at blu-ray quality, have a ton of compression. You can't notice any difference between a decent upscaled 1080->1440 and native 1080 so fuck off.

he thinks software voodoo upscaling actually improves quality

Attached: 1560988772661.png (671x519, 146K)

VLC with whatever its default upscaling method is.

Attached: vlc.jpg (2560x1440, 1.33M)

>just buy 4K bro
>you can watch the newest Marvel movie
>forget about 95% of worthwhile content being 1080p or below
>just upscale it for increased resource usage and no visual benefit over watching it in the native resolution
>btw buy our newest hardware as well

>poorfag
have 4k oled dolby vision dolby atmos 7.1.2

Versus MPC-HC + madVR.

Attached: mpchc.jpg (2560x1440, 1.65M)

Call me, when the majority of content is in 4K.

mpv with scaling shaders unless you watch HDR on SDR display, then you need mpc+madvr.

1080p is fine

down scaled 1440p and 4k is good tho

>comparing with lossy screenshots
lol

It's not like you'll be running anything above 60fps at that resolution.

I'm skeptical about the 10 bit color. I own a lg 27ud58, which is the same but without hdr. It advertises 10 bit color, but in fact uses 8 bit with frc. It works fine for fast-moving things, but leads to noticeable flickering on large areas of the same color.

Unless it's heavily compressed then there will be no perceivable difference. Here's a png of the same frame. Point out one (1) compression artifact present in the jpg that isn't present in the png.

Attached: mpchc.png (2560x1440, 3.96M)

I use a similar monitor and i don't need to use any scaling for things to be legible. Scaling kind of kills the point of a higher resolution, as you can fit less content on screen.

AI

2 shekels have been deposited to your account

>Scaling kind of kills the point of a higher resolution, as you can fit less content on screen.
The point if a higher resolution is not to have more things on the screen, if you want more things on the screen you need a larger display.

thanks, goy :^)

>4k and 1080p are the only resolutions

Attached: 0.jpg (236x234, 8K)

you pretty much have to watch 4k movies just to fill up the damn screen on a 1440p. it's really annoying that movies are filmed in such high aspect ratios, because it means with 1080p you're getting, what, 700-800 pixels of actual vertical content? depending on how obnoxious the filmmaker is?
ie, if you want to fill every pixel of a 1440p monitor with detailed content, you need to watch 4k (2160p) content zoomed in (chopping the extreme left and right sides)
looks fucking glorious that way!

Anime doesn't have this problem (well unless it is particularly old).

>such high aspect ratios
er, such wide aspect ratios

>implying he is only watching movies on his monitor
kek

>I love seeing individual pixels on my screen!

>implying I care about that in a thread that is specifically about media consumption

it's just filmmakers being artsy twats and filming things for theatrical aspect despite the fact that probably 90%+ of the total viewings (post DVD release) will be on 16:9 screens. faggots.

There is more to media consumption than watching retarded anime on a 4k screen.

Are you talking about games? Because fps > resolution.

Mpv upscale filters

I got a 4k monitor so i could have 4 windows on screen each having the content of a 1080p screen, not because i wanted sharper text.

>watching films on your work/gaming screen, at a desk
>not having a dedicated projector or TV connected to your PC and a comfy couch
ishyggiydiggydigdug