Can i get a virus from torrenting a movie and opening the mp4/avi/mov file in a media player like mpv?

Can i get a virus from torrenting a movie and opening the mp4/avi/mov file in a media player like mpv?

Attached: af2.png (680x521, 115K)

no

Only if said file was designed specifically to exploit a particular version of media software. It is vanishingly rare as most of those programs are updated on the regular.

It's possible. Unlikely though. VLC just patched a number of RCE vulns, and gstreamer has one every month it seems. Codecs are hard, parse tons of untrusted input, and mostly written in memory-unsafe languages.

See stagefright for another example. Always possible. I put mpv in firejail with a custom ACL just for this reason. If you think a video is probably an attack, don't open it.

dont use windows
dont use mpv
use latest vlc, eu is holding a bug bounty for it

it's possible to exploit buffer overflow/boundary check vulnerabilities with specially crafted files, but the chance to get shit like that is extremely low.

I am using linux
So vlc is safer than mpv?
What if i convert the downloaded video to a different format also

What a stupid answer.

Some weeks ago it was possible to run malicious code just by opening a text file in vim, why wouldn't such a thing be possible. Nowadays everything is backdoored or vulnerable to all sorts of creative attacks, though designing such a thing would be difficult and rare to encounter.

What an autistic comment.

The chances of it happening are so small that it isn't even worth thinking about. If you start thinking about possibilities, ANYTHING is fucking possible. It's possible that I finished on your mainboard last night after pulling out of your mother.

It's theoretically possible but very rare. If someone did discover such a thing, it would be valuable enough that they wouldn't waste it on a random guy on the internet.

What if the nsa is doing it undetected :(

not, not really

youd be suprised with the amount of spoonfeeding format fuzzers that get released on github takes a lot of the effort out

I think im gonna keep my pc clean and not torrent stuff and use my galaxy tab for movies and torrents anyway

No
VLC has a remote code execution problem that isn't fixed

>What if i convert the downloaded video to a different format also
complete waste of time

learn2torrent, zoomer.

Mpv doesnt have this?

>no
yes, theoretically. remember the recent vlc happenings?

u could do firejail mpv

>Some weeks ago it was possible to run malicious code just by opening a text file in vim
that's what happens when you annoy people to support niggers

>firejail
if theres a firejail exploit its a direct root privilege escalation, literally worse to use it for that purpose

Fuck off, pedophile.

Parabola GNU/Linux-Libre OpenRC Edition doesn't have this problem.

fonts are also another source of this kind of malware
unironically parsers and decoders could benefit from using rust

yes, but extremely unlikely, unless someone is willing to waste his extremely valuable exploits on you (a nobody), you should be safe.

>what is hardened malloc

Nice virtue signaling, pedophile.

>brought to you by EMACS gang!

>what are 3 decades of weekly dumb cves caused by strong independent cniles

maybe

Am i the only person on earth torrenting

oh the times when opening .asf video on windows media player launched bunch of browser instances trying to open advertising websites

Attached: 874785.png (852x461, 45K)

what does this have to do with torrenting?
if you get an infected file, and the exploit is not patched on your machine, you're still fucked, regardless of torrent or ddl.

Yes.
Idiot

Anything is possible if you sit on enough exploits.