Linux DE thread

I'm about to reinstall my distro because I want root fs encryption and I'm thinking about trying a new DE.

For the past 5 years or so I've been using xfce and it works just fine, mostly because I only ever use firefox, emacs, thunar, and terminal and don't need any fancy apps. I was thinking about switching to wayland, but emacs doesn't support it so I might as well stick with X11 for now.

So, have there been any new lightweight DE/WM I should give a try? Or should I stick with xfce?

Attached: c42835c467c99af272f7c0a44e01d0a6d4a8dc37.png (1440x900, 230K)

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~lubuntu-ci/ archive/ubuntu/stable-ci
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>4.14 almost here
great time to dump xfce

if you like xfce try openbox

Oh, right, I completely forgot they're about to switch to GTK 3.0.
It looks dead, the site is down.

>about to switch to GTK 3.0
and that's a good thing

ob is dead. it's also ugly and can be over complicated

Yeah, but it took them like 10 years, GTK 4.0 is about to be released.

>GTK 4.0 is about to be released.
we don't know if that's a good thing

The opposite of XFCE is KDE. Have you tried KDE?

what's a good alternative wm-wise then?
i don't like tiling and a full-blown DE is a bit too much for me.

i3
> workspace_layout tabbed
> hide_edge_borders both
literally the only thing you have to add

Try KDE but configure the shit out of it to make it lightweighted, i mean the minimal plasma package takes like 500mb of ram.

for WMs try awesomeWM, openbox, fluxbox and FVWM

Stick with xfce, there is no better DE.

fvwm or cwm

Which WM/DE is the best if I spend 99% of my time in the browser and never use two or more windows at the same time.

lxqt

Just use GNOME

im using lubuntu 19.04, which comes with LXQT. So far so good, I like it. I switched from LXDE about a week ago.

So I see you're running GNOME... You know I'm actually on KDE myself, I know this desktop environment is supposed to be better but, you know what they say - old habits stay die hard.

I know what you're thinking, I'm an executive, why am I even running Linux? Again, old habits

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Try cimamon

mod-space to upload a pic

Attached: 1542471154648.png (1680x2100, 311K)

me too yo. it's actually great.

Damn XFCE looks like that?
Jokes aside I really should give it a go, it just seems so sane.

How is LXQT?
I used LXDE on my old netbook and I liked it a lot
I'm running XFCE on my laptop right now, but it has some bugs that bother me. I do like it, but I wouldn't mind a switch.

If LXDE wasn't abandonware then I'd just go with that

Either openbox or LXQT

Every major DE is good once you're used to it and customize it. You're honestly never going to have some aha moment, realizing that you're desktop environment is MAXIMALLY PRODUCTIVE or something. It is actually very minimal part of your userspace experience; things like text-editors (especially emacs), internet browsers, image editors tend to interact with the DE and WM very little.

Attached: nebula.png (500x400, 31K)

An executive.. running Linux?

Attached: desktop environments.png (500x881, 137K)

you can install multiple DEs on one machine. so just load some you are interested in on current machine to test. then when doing new install only install the one you like best, its a waste of space having DEs you wont use.

Do I get out of jail free for using bspwm?

kde is too fucking long to start

buy a ssd

KDE

really, gnome 3 is nowhere near usable for daily usage on a laptop.
Too much bugs or cpu usage.
Even though I LOVE the design despite what Jow Forums says about being zoomer phone design.
Stick to Xfce really.
Nothing new but it works, and instead of Thunar install pcmanfm, it has more features.

lxqt is great. it used to be full of these tiny annoying bugs, but now it feels really mature, and it's certainly as light and stable as xfce, and it's just as easy to configure and tinker with. feels really productive, and it's super responsive. no gtk dependencies is a huge plus. if you're using ubuntu/lubuntu or mint there's a ppa worth adding here: launchpad.net/~lubuntu-ci/ archive/ubuntu/stable-ci so you can take advantage of frequently updated lxqt components. i was on kde for years, then xfce for years, then unity for a couple. i prefer it to all three now.

Weirdly enough, GNOME on Pop! OS was taking ages to start up. I entered my password, fumbled with my phone to find a timer, started it, and the timer hit 1 minute before the desktop showed.

KDE is significantly faster for me.

Nice esoteric wm.

It's not really esoteric it's just that nobody pays much attention to it.

Too bloated.

lxqt pretty much always ships with openbox as the default wm.

Chrome OS, iOS, Android

Xfce is awesome, don’t switch

i3 represent

holy shit, an actually intelligent comment on Jow Forums

have a (you)

pretty much this.

pick tiling or floating and then whatever you think looks best