Programmers must know math

>Programmers must know math
This is a meme. No one ever got software job by knowing math

Attached: concrete math.png (220x278, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

teachyourselfcs.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's a pretty big claim, user. mind backing it up with some evidence?

You're confusing programmer, with code monkey

I use graph algorithms often.
But sorting algorithms is a big joke. In practice you only need radix sort, which is not just the most trivial, but also fastest.

It's a way for pajeet tier brainlets to inflate their ego.
t. guy that actually knows math

>This is a meme. No one ever got software job by knowing math

but programming is just math. if you'd paid any attention you'd know that

You don't need to know math, but you gotta have the logical thinking that only math provides you.

Software developer doesn't need any math.
Programmer do need though.

You say that like it takes a really smart person to get a job in this field. You might not need math to get a job but knowing it might make you better at that job.

>No one ever got software job by knowing math
you're in for a surprise

I've met loads of devs with degrees in maths tho

>>Programmers must know math
>This is a meme. No one ever got software job by knowing math

t. Someone who only writes "hello, world" programs

Attached: 1564565693509.png (1232x1080, 148K)

This but the opposite

aight that's kinda funny

There's not a single one sane person knowing math and going for CShit
Who in the right mind would refuse $300k starting math job for being codemonkey!?

I get BTFO every time I get asked math questions in an interview, fortunately this doesn't happen. I don't remember shit about combinatorics or calculus

happen often*

you forgot to mention you can get any job you want.

you wont get invited to interview without at least github programming portfolio. You wont get a job without commercial experience in programmin enterprise class software, or at least wordpress for small business, means: easy stuff but boring as fuck and not concerned with math
you dont write large programs by knowing math. You need to know C#/Java environment, databases, parallel programming, text processing etc

>you wont get invited to interview without at least github programming portfolio
git gud, i don't use your meme social network and i got offers before finishing my master's just based off my bachelor's thesis and the only languages i knew were matlab and mathematica at that point
t. apllied math scrub working in fintech

Same at my company, we hire lots of people who only have experience with stuff like matlab

finance is the exception to this because of quant dev roles

this, get a hold of real life OP
not all people graduate with 2 GPA

imagine being this deluded

>No one ever got software job by knowing math
That obviously depends on the job, if you want to write software that involves heavy use of mathematics (meaning not pajeet shit you can write after a months of having learned "how to code") you better know mathematics.

the only positions I can think of which involve this are finance quant roles and data science/ML roles, which are all pretty limited. like 90% of dev positions don't involve math

oh actually I also forgot computer graphics
any others?

>the only positions I can think of which involve this are finance quant roles and data science/ML roles
Or like anything which has to do with engineering, just think about what software is controlling.
Cars, planes, machinery, etc., etc.. Writing software for that requires you to understand the mathematics behind them.

no, Computer Scientists must learn mathematics. Computer Science is applied math like Physics, Biology or Chemistry.

Calling yourself a programmer is like calling yourself an electrician. The difference is that electricians are really valuable.

>and i got offers before finishing my master's just based off my bachelor's thesis
kek
I am doing bachelor in shitty school and althought most people are IT monkeys, there are few employed programmers, and they even got job before they started bachelor. I dont know how, but for sure not because they know math (one of this employed Java programmer failed Calculus 3 times, kek), probably they just did programming tutorials like autists, since they were 12

Good thing I forgot math after taking 3 years off from all math classes...

they dream in kode

You do in finical, data science, embeded programing for DAC/ADCs (EE related), etc.
You know, the $100k+ programming jobs

That's retarded and only true for web developers. Math helped me a lot to optimize, understand and implement algorithm and generally write better code and have a better logical understanding.

I bet you are like some of the brainlets at my uni who fail to see the importance of math. Yeah, you might not need math if you just want to be some söyboy codemonkey, but at least I want to get a more interesting job in the future.

On a sidenote, I really don't understand some other students who bitch about the math courses at my computer engineering program. Totally pointless to study for 5 years at a university if you just want to "learn to code"

Not knowing math makes you the ultimate brainlet. Every software developer and experimentalist computer science ween should read and ingest How To Prove It (by Velleman) cover to cover without skipping any exercises. It's accessible to people with American high school maths.

>what is compound key :S

how is it better than SICP or CLRS or PAIP?

Anyone recommend some books that cover the fundamentals I need to know for software engineering?

s󠀀oyboy

HTPI is highly relevant maths for the construction of tests, and testable programs; and the same for provably correct programs. Among other things. But it's maths and therefore applicable to all languages and systems.
K&R; Cormen-Leiserson-Rivest (and the fourth guy, in the later editions); TAoCP; Dragon book; after that it's according to taste. I tend to recommend "Purely Functional Data Structures" (by Okasaki) for fundamental FP weenage, but the field is both wide and deep.

>This is a meme
>Programmers must know math
Yes, because everyone must know math.

this is not software engineering

>software engineer
It's called programmer you fucking mongoloid.

don't remind me of that fucking video. People called him a prodigy for knowing java

Computer science is literally a field of math, and knowledge of grad school number theory is essential for cryptography so I don't know what you're on about OP

Logic, graph theory, linear algebra, combinatorial math and discrete math are all pretty good to know for programming. Other stuff like geometry is good for particular domains. Analysis, not so much (unless you're doing shit like CFD), but feel free to prove me wrong on that one.

This, programming more scientific software requires a decent understanding of math. I have to work with differential equations and linear algebra every day at my internship.

>what is a graphics programmer

Attached: spheres.png (400x400, 87K)

software engineering is UML, hardcore OOP and shit

You need to at least understand finite automata to do any sensible string processing or networked programs (e.g. games).

Finite automata is not math. It's part of linguistics which is a social science.

8th grade math? Quarternions might be the only exception but that's not hard either. The whole pipeline in itself is simple. The fight is mostly against the shitty api not math.

>string processing
>social science
lold, hint: a dna string is also a letter sequence, text doesn't have to be human language. nlp is also pure mostly

Discrete math and Boolean logic are extremely important to programming. Still, the average plug coder doesn't need much more than high school level algebra.

Attached: 1455165249397.jpg (1440x903, 50K)

I program in MATLAB, I need to know maths bro.

Attached: 133739616629.png (198x207, 62K)

This is why /sci/ makes fun of this shit board.

you get taught math in order to change the way you think about stuff also how are colleges supposed to make money they literally put extra irrelevant math courses just to extend how long you stay at college making more money from you

Attached: 1564627799571.png (1280x1942, 517K)

graphics programming isn't just about learning the pipeline it's about actually doing something with it

If you don't like math, you're an absolute brainlet. Everyone should like math, even janitors.

i`m working with some artist doing interactive stuff, you gotta learn at least basic math to understand how to transforms certain things, also, you want a particle to go on circles? you gotta know math

What is gamedev, what is simulation software, what is artificial intelligence?

Honestly, from the years of working in team projects, I'm inclined to agree with OP here.

Unless you're working on something esoteric the math involved in the task will have likely already been streamlined so there really isn't a need to memorize any math.

Not every software job is mindless regurgitation of stackoverflow and similar pajeetism

fucking degenrate

something only dumbasses do, fun, and a meme

Supported, as long as each subkey has lexicographical order.

based user.

Yeah, most programmers don't need to know math. Good programmers do.

is this a good way to learn compsci by yourself?

teachyourselfcs.com/

I am not afraid about math, I don't mind learning more about it.

Programming is all about creating algorithms, programming is about knowing math rules and using them.