Ok Jow Forums it's not a fanboy or hate thread but why you guys use Linux?

Ok Jow Forums it's not a fanboy or hate thread but why you guys use Linux?

I mean it's so limited.
If you program 24/7 and watch animes, linux may be a great os but for people with more hobbies it's not so easy.
- At work everyone use Windows and if you know handy shortcuts and tipps it's way comfier.
- Hobbies: Lets say i want to draw or some vector graphic, i simply use adobe
- Cad = Solidworks
- I play very rarly gaymes but if a new one is released, i can play it ( or pirate it easy as fuck)
- best hardware support (GPU, CPU tweak)
- Scripts for retards aka AutoHotKey

>Muh botnet
i really really don't care, if google or Microsoft want my data, they will get it.
>muh wine
it's shit, for most softwares.

Attached: 1560233948301.jpg (230x259, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.codinghorror.com/oh-you-wanted-awesome-edition/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use Linux because it's easy to set up my usual dev environment. Other than that Im not a very desktop guy, I think desktops are legacy waiting to die.

I like *nix and it makes sense to me. I'd use MacOS but I believe their hardware is just overpriced.

>t. iOS/WatchOS user.

It runs much, much quicker than Windows 10 does and in my specific case has less bugs all while letting me do everything I did on Windows with no compromise.

For my specific use case it's a no loss, all benefit scenario

Well if you use solid works and play gaymes you're stuck with windows.

>If you program 24/7 and watch animes
That is literally all I do with my computer.

Because a lot of programmers use it so it's easier as a dev environment unless you use visual studio, otherwise I think it's absolute trash but there isn't really a replacement for it.

Unfortunately there's no going back since creating something good takes a lot of autism and work, maybe if there was a not as schizo Terry Davis

I like to tinker, customize and develop. Linux is better for this.

Windows is pretty comfy, but Linux is nice for my streamlined development experience, I do highly low level down to the metal stuff so that's mainly why I use it. I see how some people could use it for daily use, anyway for your list:

- Shortcuts: XFCE, LXDE, LXQT, MATE, KDE and GNOME all have shortcuts that you can bind, and if you don't have a DE you can also set up keybinds for your WM universally, which is pretty nice.
- Hobbies: Drawing, Krita or sai with Wine. Music editing: LMMS, even when I was on windows I used LMMS.
- Cad: FreeCAD, I've always used it.
- Games: Lutris, I don't really play video games, so I wouldn't know if it's good, I hear it can run most popular steam games though.
- Scripts for retards: bash scripts, programming your own program for the task, python, sxhkd, xbindkeys, etc. Literally there are so many keybinding programs I would die before listing them all out.

>Muh botnet
There's no avoiding it, I don't even bother.
>muh wine
Wine is pretty terrible but there's some nice forks that make it do SOME things, I usually just run a VM with passthrough for windows only stuff though. (which is quite rare but it's nice to have the option as a backup)

What distro would I reccomend to someone:
Debian, hands down, I run Arch and I hear a LOT of people are recommending it but it's a fucking pile of shit, and the fanbase is shit too, the only good thing about it is the AUR, and the arch wiki, that's literally it. I know that there's all kinds of leftist propaganda, and I don't really care for politics but it's a really good distro, so it doesn't really bother me too much. There's plenty of documentation for it and most apps and programs support Debiian right out of the box.

Anyway thanks for reading my giant fucking wall of text if you did user, hope I could give you insight on why we Linux users, do what we do.

Your question is like asking "dude why do you bother recycling when you could just dump it all into the nearby river like Indians?". Not everyone lives to be a horrible human that "really really don't care". It has its benefits even if it requires more effort than zero, which is apparently the bar now among zoomers. It's faster, more modular and more private. It can also do all kinds of things if you just change to a different program than what you're used to. It also protects the freedom of you and everyone else, while costing nothing.

>why you guys use Linux?
Because it does everything I want it to do, is as free as in freedom as you can get and lets me configure everything I want.
Windows lacks all but the most basic customization features and can really get on your nerves, I see no good reason why I should run Windows.

>I mean it's so limited.
???

>but for people with more hobbies it's not so easy.
If your hobbies are centered around sitting in front of a computer there is something very wrong with you, go outside.

People who have a job
People who don't

>>why you guys use Linux?
>Because it does everything I want it to do, is as free as in freedom as you can get and lets me configure everything I want.
>Windows lacks all but the most basic customization features and can really get on your nerves, I see no good reason why I should run Windows.
>>I mean it's so limited.
>???
>>but for people with more hobbies it's not so easy.
>If your hobbies are centered around sitting in front of a computer there is something very wrong with you, go outside.

In addition, I point people to this blog post which is ten years old now

blog.codinghorror.com/oh-you-wanted-awesome-edition/

Pic unrelated, Mina from twice

Attached: ozosxx29juc31.jpg (1080x1623, 143K)

I'm the second one and ironically I typed that with my phone from work. Don't pursuit a career in people profiling.

>Buying windows
Lmao who cares about your shitty blog post

Thanks. I'll be sure to check out some of those programs

just use better software, retard
> vector
inkscape, you're just a fucking hobbyist anyway, you wouldn't be able to use inkscape to it's fullest, even less illustrator
>cad
use fucking freecad or blender, same shit as above too.
>gaymes
i'm not a fag and only play some libre vydia like xonotic, red eclipse and supertuxkart when i'm really bored
>hardware support
nonfree linux kernels are decent, mainly with amd. If you have any values you'll use a libre gnu distro and will buy compatible hardware
>autohotkey
i use xdotool, wmctrl, rofi/dmenh , xclip, sed and awk all the time to make macros. I have a macro menu on rofi which i select and it runs a script that uses xdotool and shit.
>muh botnet
you are truly a cuck
>muh wine
i never use it.

i use guix gnu/linux-libre exclusively on all my machines.
>I program in lisp, C and Shell scripting
>I'm an artist (krita 2d, blender 3d, gimp for image manipulation and shit like that)
>I do music (piano stuff, mostly with lmms and zynaddsubfx)
>I write a bit (emacs org mode -> html -> headless libreoffice conversion -> pdf)
if i can be happy and well satisfied by the tools provided, more people can, which means there is justified public for it, even if it's small.

Ok i'm in academia and mrecisely in the medical field, why in the world would I waste money on windows?
I can write things latex, listen to music,browse the internet and open pdfs. Why would I buy microsoft's product filled with things ill never need. I'm honestly curious.

>hobbyist anyway, you wouldn't be able to use inkscape to it's fullest
>Implying hobbyists cant do shit
>a hobbyist made his own fucking operating system in x86 assembly
God, you truly are a tard.

Attached: chaddropOS.jpg (650x433, 195K)

Cause it's by far the best choice when you are a webdev

you only need features which lack in gimp, inkscape and shit if you work on the print industry or some retarde big design company.

My point was you implied hobbyists cant "use it fully" not that illustrator was better, illustrator is shit, I'm just saying, what the fuck user.

i was just being aggressive to OP because he's a fag. I'm also a hobbyist for the most part, and i think the best things bloom from hobbies, but i had to call OP a faggot in my comment somehow. Sorry for the offended hobbyists

It's pleasing to the sensibilities. But you have to have a well defined palette.

>if you have any values you'll use a libre gnu distro
>implying forcing others to use free software is good moral values
>supertuxkart when i'm really bored
>libre vidya
>LIBRE VIDYA
>LIBRE
>VIDYA

Attached: HAHAHAHAHA.gif (220x224, 55K)

What's wrong with arch man?

Just starting to dislike rolling release, that's all. Arch isn't a pile of shit, just the fans are and it wouldn't be a good introduction for a beginner. I should have explained this better in my post.

nobody forces you to use free software. On libre distros we only won't help you to do it, which is something we are free to do. If a distro like parabola decided to endorse nonfree, they could too, but then the FSF wouldn't endorse them, which is also a freedom of the fsf members (also, it's not like not being endorsed would make the distro simply die or something). But you can do whatever you want because of freedom 0.

yeah, free as in freedom games. I hardly do games at all, why would i bind myself to a platform like steam and put nonfree programs on my computer? Also, i love quake and almost every quake game is libre.

Attached: 1564735362537-g.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

>At work everyone use Windows and if you know handy shortcuts and tipps it's way comfier.
What jobs? I only had 2 jobs, fine, but both in technology (developer first, sysadmin later), in the first one everyone used Linux/Mac, in the later one guy uses Windows and the rest Linux/Mac. Unix is just better unless you are working exclusively with .NET and MS technologies.
>Hobbies: Lets say i want to draw or some vector graphic, i simply use adobe
>Cad
Agreed, for designers/architects/non-software engineering, Windows software has no match in proprietary software quality.
>Games
I use Windows at home, because I only use the computer for studying and having fun.
>best hardware support (GPU, CPU tweak)
False, depends on what you want to do.
>Scripts for retards aka AutoHotKey
???
If you are saying you can't get/make a script on fucking Linux of all OSes, I-m already regretting wasting time replying to you, not to mention you brought up the most lame kind of software there is.

Use windows if you need to, i dont need. I use because most of the dev tools are written for linux and perform better on it

try it
once you get comfortable with it you'll realize windows is retarded as an OS
no posix, package manager, security & privacy, customizing ability, and many more
the only linux are lacking only software supports but not really just most proprietary one
i'm not programmer but it's my hobby scripting and tweaking stuff and i still have have windows installed but on kvm as i need it for my job (corel, ilustrator, wilcom etc)
you want games? get a console or dualboot as you get older you'll realize most of the game are boring anyway

>Debian, hands down
I had pretty shitty experiences with Debian as a desktop OS, and I am a sysadmin, I would recommend Mint always over Debian for a beginner.
Debian to thinker around is fine, but is time consuming for many simple tasks, at least at first, I'm more used to manage servers with Debian.

>almost every quake game is libre
Why do you make shit up? Openarena perhaps is, but most Quake installments are proprietary closed software (Q3, Q4, QC, QL and probably Q2 and Q1 too).

proprietary (because of assets):
Quake (original quakes), UT (i think?)
Free
xonotic, openarena, warsow, nexuiz (which is old xonotic, can still be played), alienarena...
if you also count cube games, which are similar:
cube, cube 2, red eclipse.

>Quake (original quakes), UT (i think?)
Those games are not free software.
>xonotic, openarena, warsow, nexuiz (which is old xonotic, can still be played), alienarena
First, those are not Quake or Unreal, those are free games/mods made with proprietary engines from the original Quake and Unreal (UE, idTech), so I doubt to which point they are actually 100% free software (as in freedom, not free of cost).

>- Hobbies: Lets say i want to draw or some vector graphic, i simply use adobe
krita, inkscape
>- I play very rarly gaymes but if a new one is released, i can play it ( or pirate it easy as fuck)
Popular Windows games normally run with proton.
>i really really don't care, if google or Microsoft want my data, they will get it.
Only if you roll over and let them like a cuck.

>those are free games/mods made with proprietary engines from the original Quake and Unreal (UE, idTech)
Xonotic: Darkplaces engine, which is a heavily-modified Quake 1 engine (released under the gpl2)
Openarena: ioQuake3 engine, released under the gpl2
Warsow: Qfusion engine, heavily modified quake2 engine (gpl2)
Nexuiz: same as xonotic assuming you mean the original foss one, not the commercial one which was built on another engine
Alienarena: CRX engine, modified quake2 engine, not too familiar with this one, presumably also gpl2

what makes them free games is the fact their assets are also free, not just their engines
it's why "quake3" isn't free, but "openarena" is, even though they use the same engine

It's a good kernel for the GNU operating system.

assets don't make a program proprietary, they aren't software you nigger.

-- if you're confused, id released the quake1/2/3 engines (/just/ the engines, not the game assets) under the gpl2 ages ago (1999, 2001, and 2005, respectively)

GNU is not an operating system, it's a bunch of programs that can be swapped out.

GNU is a good set of tools for the Linux Operating System

I work part time and go to school full time, linux wasnt hard to learn. I feel more free and my computer is my own, i can do what i want with it. Neither microshits nor applels OS makes me feel that way. I refuse to settle and be a cuck, whats your excuse?

I literally said they are nonfree(assets). The engines are tho (quake engine and unreal engine).
The other ones are fully free

the program isn't proprietary, the art is (under copyright). While this isn't a fight of the Free Software movement, it is for the Free Culture. Also, Art isn't property for the same reason software isn't, and on computers assets are literally encoded files.

>gnu isn't an operating system. It's an operating system that can be swapped out for another operating system.

>i really really don't care, if google or Microsoft want my data
but you really really care about what other people are using

underage faggot detected, die in a fire

>die in a fire
underage faggot detected

What is this 'linux mint is a frankendebian distro' I keep hearing about?

Some shit's less hassle on Linux. Compiling a lot of software is a lot easier on Linux because none of the developers use Visual Studio., while under Linux, it's just "./configure && make && sudo make install".
Had to connect to an old Palm Pilot like a year or two ago. There's no reasonable way to do this on a recent Windows machine, while I was able to get going over irDA with a program that was in the Debian repo.
Using ffmpeg under windows is AIDS because of all the shell escaping issues -- my current Windows machine just runs it under WSL now to sidestep the issue completely, and before, I used Cygwin.

Still, I've ended up running some Windows versions of emulators under Wine because their linux builds were shit, slower, didn't frameskip properly, were missing portions of the UI (or the UI completely), etc.
But fuck, Wine ran it just as fast as on Windows.
SSF runs like a god damn treat on Linux with gCDEmu for mounting discs, much less pain than with any CD mounter on Windows.
I don't play modern games. Not really out of disinterest, mostly because I'm too lazy to play games for longer than like 10 minutes at a time.

I don't bother sticking solely to one operating system.
Much of the software I use is multi-platform, so I don't really lose anything much by going from one OS to the other, and in that case, Linux is $0, even in terms of opportunity cost, because I have other machines that run Windows if I really need to use Windows.

as someone who uses GIMP every fucking day
it's a bit shit
it's featureful, but it lacks so much quality-of-life shit because the devs don't do any fucking image editing

I just use it as a platform to develop server-side shit on. I don't really get why a sadist would use it as a real desktop environment.

>program and watch anime
and listen music and reading books.
>gaymes
anything else?
I have a PS3.
Windows is such a slow piece of shit that turns off itself whenever it feels like.
If you draw I guess that's fair enough, my sister has a drawing tablet so she uses some proprietary program on windows.
But is only niche hobbies that actually need windows

>Hobbies: Lets say i want to draw or some vector graphic, i simply use adobe
inkscape

>If you program 24/7 and watch animes, linux may be a great os
haha could you imagine that being your life?!?!?!
hahaha unbelievable!

>its so limited
not really, it does everything i need it to
vectors can be done in inkscape, all those animu vector images are made in it.

My workflow revolvs around using video editing software and blender. It works well for that. In addition it supports better disk formats and has proper, unbackdoored encryption. IN ADDITION theres virtually no vulnerabilities, unlike fundows with its ransomware attacks. If theres a program that only runs on windows i can understand why youd stay on it, but for most people gnu linux is a fine choice.

i haven't used windows in so long i would be lost

idk why you're so imcompetant at computers, but there's really nothing you're going to do on windows that can't be done on linux.

gayming is for fags.

I always see people bashing arch users, but I dont think ive seen anyone who uses arch being a dickhead.

The problem with Linux is that people don't understand just how much it can actually do. If you can dream up a scenario, Linux can probably accomplish it.That's why it's so popular behind the scenes.