/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Is there an easy way to physically change a laptop keyboard layout?

My keyboard has:
>[page up] [page dn] [home] [end]
and I want
>[home] [page up] [page dn] [end]

Since I'll be swapping the keycaps too I want the keyboard itself changed, not just the bindings in my OS

Attached: 20190718_222854-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

extensions.gnome.org/extension/
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Transcoding
stackoverflow.com/a/24231872
ifixit.com/Answers/View/498308/Vertical red line on Dell monitor. Stuck Pixel
cs.lmu.edu/~ray/notes/flightsimulator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can't find much info about GPU VRM efficiency. What is it and how does it change and under what conditions?

Is bitrate autism a meme when it comes to encoding mp3?

Attached: 1562708218561.jpg (1280x1360, 510K)

Yes. Buy the layout you want and reconfigure the layout.
No. 320 or bust.

v0 or go away

>Buy the layout you want and reconfigure the layout.
This doesn't mean anything.

Can I just re-encode an mp3 file to 320 bitrate, using ffmpeg?

Attached: 1562684292711.png (493x500, 107K)

I don't understand this question. Isn't swapping the keycaps "physically changing the laptop keyboard layout"?

I've just switch my dock color by searching through google after getting NO HELP from you guys.
Btw the site is extensions.gnome.org/extension/
for those of you that want to customize your linux

Oh no, some dumb user learned to look up shit instead of begging to be spoonfed! Jow Forums is DOOMED!

I want the functions of the keys changed across all operating systems as well. Can you rebind keys in BIOS to match the chamged keycaps? If not I'd need to move some wires around.

and now you know that you should google your issue first and only ask here if you can't find your answer on google. good day

Attached: spoonfeed.jpg (229x220, 9K)

I don't think so, no. What's so bad about remapping the keys on each OS?

It just isn't ideal. Like what if I use this laptop as a networked KVM host. It'll use the old layout before rebinding on client machines, right?

Anyone with experience in mirroring/cloning windows to another disk? I want to clone everything from my C drive (SSD but a small one) to a newer M2 SSD, but don't want to reinstall everything. Tried cloning yesterday but my pc didn't want to boot on the new M2 SSD, saying that there is no operating system found.. Any good guides anons can recommend?

It will, yeah.

How did you "clone" it? I've used dd in Linux to bitwise copy a Vista install to USB but can't boot that either.

HDD Clone. Torrent enterprise edition. Don't adjust partitions when it prompts you to it'll fuck everything up because >windows

If you just bought an SSD usually you can get an OEM license for the kind of software you're asking for, usually acronis, if you register your device with the manufacturer.

I tried cloning with Macrium reflect, supposedly recommended for cloning

You mean HDClone Enterprise?

Yeah torrent it. You can get the free version but it's a bit slow but totally fine if you don't care otherwise. Just don't keep the keep partiiton aspect ratio or whatever it was when prompted.

For example, if your UEFI partition is 100mb (which it is) -- and your drive is 500gb , and you're cloning to a smaller SSD (but which is sufficient for cloning) -- say 250gb, then the 100mb will be resized to say 50mb which may prevent the system from booting. Don't forget to assign UEFI boot from the new drive even though your BIOS may support legacy (Win10 issue).

Fortunately I'm switching from 128 gb to 500 gb, so I think the UEFI partition won't get smaller. Now I just have to find this torrent

Can I pirate games to play on a PS2/PS3 emulator or do I have to have an actual copy myself?

I have a Windows Vista virtual machine that got turned off while it was updating, which corrupted the file system and now it won't boot. I ran check disk via a recovery console, and it gets further now, but still won't boot. Check disk says it has ~5MB worth of bad sectors. The host drive is completely healthy.

Any ideas?

The former

Let me rephrase:
I ripped some songs from YT with youtube-dl, using of course bestaudio, then I vonverted the files with ffmpeg to mp3 but I forgot to set it to highest bitrate. What I'm asking is, if I use those already converted mp3s to convert them again with higher bitrate, will it "work", or are those files already fucked?
I'm asking because I already deleted the YT rips and I'd rather not download them again?
Also, can I convert multiple files at once with ffmpeg?
Sorry if my questions are beyond stupid, I'm just fairly new to youtube-dl, ffmpeg and encoding.

Attached: help.jpg (499x810, 47K)

Are there any iot devices that don't need a cloud? I just want to have a server in my home, so i can programm some interfaces myself.

That's kind of what Raspberry Pi is for. You can set up a bunch of Linux machines around and access them via ssh from one device without having to call Google or Amazon.

How do you imagine that you could take a low quality recording and make it high quality? If that were possible, audio players would just do it on the fly, and everyone would get amazing audio quality out of 64 kbps rips.

>Is there an easy way
That's the problem with kids these days, they always want to do things the easy way! Any time something challenging arises they just give up.

You lose quality transcoding lossy to lossy user.
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Transcoding

... because if there isn't an easy way then I'll have to pull traces on the PCB to rewire it which is risky and not worth the effort.

>if I use those already converted mp3s to convert them again with higher bitrate
Then they will be worse than what you have now, and take up more space.

Yeah, well I didn't really think that was possible, but I thought I'd ask Jow Forums before I start ripping 647 songs again from square 1.
So, anywax, can ffmpeg convert multiple files at once, like youtube-dl can rip multiple videos at once?

Attached: zg7uQ2k.jpg (1920x808, 90K)

It can, although I don't see any reason you'd want to convert anything.

guys tell me not to buy a thinkpad. I dont want to spend money.

Well, if I use youtube-dl to download the songs with -f bestaudio, then they come out as webm, and that's not really useful for listening.
Though maybe I'm just doing something wrong again, so I'm open to any advice.

Attached: gonna be a computer.jpg (900x900, 141K)

If you're buying it just because it'll be fun for 5 mins. and then just collect dust, and you know it.

Dude, pick the filetype you want and add that to the youtube instructions. Otherwise you're double converting for nothing, which ain't doin good things for the quality.

yes
a decade ago when I still ripped CDs I used EAC and encoded everything at 320 with LAME
around 2012 I started sampling some "Mastered for iTunes" tracks at 256 expecting some hearty keks, instead I was shocked at how good they sounded especially compared to my rips of the same tracks

So, 256 > 320 or no?

256 > 320 twice

>256 > 320 twice
256 is twice as good as 320, thaz's what you're saying?

How do I find an old classmate want to get back in touch with through facebook? I know his date of birth and hometown, but can't remember his name for the life of me.
Chances arw he's not even using facebook, but I don't want to start asking people in the town if they know him, it would come off as strange.

My computer networking knowledge at the router/LAN/port level is fucking terrible, ie I get the TCP/IP and bit level of networking just fine, but the actual practical shit just doesn't stick.
My end goal is I want to setup a home server that I can access from outside my house, however I don't know what I need to setup on my router so that the server is accessible but not weak security-wise

Attached: 1CZIO.jpg (900x1200, 181K)

no. I'm saying that sampling twice is worse than sampling once even at a lowet rate.

Say you can have 90% or 85% quality after an encode. If you do 90% twice that's 81% (0.9*0.9=0.81) which is worse than just 85%.

got any old yearbooks?

unless you're using studio reference headphones or listening on a multi thousand dollar sound system, you can't fucking tell the difference
when I still pirated music I would use warez-bb and search for AACs purchased from iTunes and uploaded directly, pirates are fucking autistic and would take 256kbps purchased tracks and re-encode them as 320kbps MP3s, which is like taking a web-optimzed JPEG and re-saving it as a JPEG - the quality is worse and the file size is bigger

now if the music itself was mastered like shit it's going to sound shit regardless, there's a fuckload of music from the late 90s - mid 00s where they arbitrarily upped the loudness and clipped the highs and it's shit

Oh, I see. Thanks for elaborating.

320 is obviously better quality, it's just most people have a hard time telling the difference, so it's hard to justify the size. What you really want to do is encode V0 variable, as said, so you're not wasting any space.

wtf is wrong with 4chanx? Why aren't the title bars updating correctly?

Attached: 4chanx.png (1346x30, 6K)

No, I moved just before highschool started. All I remember from him is that he was my age and that he was really good at vidya.

I'm trying to cancel an order on Amazon but it keeps telling me
>We're sorry. An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Please try again in a few minutes.

I think it might work when I get back home and cancel it over WiFi but that's hours from now

I extend my thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Attached: beans-up.jpg (1280x1137, 312K)

Why does my computer black out from time to time? Especially happens when watching video, but not always.

Sometimes it's the entire screen, or just chrome like this time.

I recently upgraded my cpu, ram, motherboard, and pretty much everything other than my ancient gpu (5850) which I plan to upgrade soon. Surely it's the gpu right?

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (1200x675, 17K)

newbie here, only have previous experiance with Visual basic. How long will it take me to learn python?

>Surely it's the gpu right?
Pretty much.

Are loaders still a thing? Is there one for windows 10?

I plugged my old W7 loader USB in today and windows automatically deleted it

Op is a faggot. You may have to disable your AV till you get it installed.

I wasn't trying to get it installed I was just wondering because my grandma is going to want me to "fix" her computer when I go up in a couple of weeks. Was more curious if W10 had a loader because it doesnt seem possible

Not in the exact sense of Daz. Windows 8 and 10 use KMS activators, which are more than satisfactory. Although if her computer has ever had legit 10 on it, you don't need to worry. That shit'll just activate itself.

I haven't looked at it yet but I'm guessing it's going to have XP or vista or something on it. If I format it I will probably just put windows 7 on it, although I do have a few extra windows 7 keys I could use to install windows 10 if needed

Looking for any help.
I do have another PSU but not a spare mobo.

swap in the other psu then.

maybe pull the video card in case it's just pulling too much from the existing psu also.

I mean anything's better than goddamn XP, but 7 is about to go the way of the dodo too. Especially for very tech challenged people, you don't wan to mess with that. If her computer absolutely can't handle 10, I'd say it's finally time to upgrade. The minimum specs for normies to internet is a lot higher than if you were trying to sqeak by on a lightweight linux distro.

trying to convince an elderly person they need a new computer isnt easy

Neither is extracting 12 layers of malware, helping them make a new email cause the old one is compromised, etc etc. Besides, you can ebay a more than capable one for < $150, slap a cheap SSD in there, and for their level of shit it'll be identical to some $1000+ model.

Could the PSu cause the mouse/keyboard not to work?
Tried pulling out the video card as well, same result. I'm afraid it is the fucking mobo.

Of the psu is not supplying power then of course the mouse and keyboard will not work. Swap in the PSU before buying a mew mobo.

Would you say that a type of electronic voting can improve the voting system in countries with outright corrupt political class? Would it bring say transparency and accuracy to the final vote?

Is it possible to replace css images with only json?

How can I change this to "icon view"? A detailed explanation would be nice. I am using Cinnamon.

Attached: 1558421907238.png (974x790, 122K)

No. Are you sure you mean JSON? It's just a way to serialize data, it doesn't do anything.

mega brainlet here. if i run a Kali docker image, how do i make the container “see” the usb wifi dongle and inject packets?

stackoverflow.com/a/24231872

My monitor is irrevocably fucked isn't it?

Attached: 20190802_194157.jpg (3264x2448, 3.66M)

Is the line visible on the monitors on screen display/menu as well?

Yes. Tried it on another pc with a different input as well. Guess I'm in the market for a new one.

Quick Pic is being a nigger for me and apparently it's gone from the play store for being dodgy chink shit.
What are the best alternatives for just viewing and cropping/shrinking images?

Just tried another PSU.
No display, mouse and kb not working.

F.

fuck no

I don't know if you can. Xfce does the same thing. KDE does icons by default.

I have a TV that does this but after warming up for about an hour it goes away. There might be something you can do to fix it if you want to get your hands dirty.

I have problems with connecting my laptop to a tv. Both the laptop and tv are 1366x768 resolution. When connecting it with a vga cable, tv shows the correct resolution and everything's fine. However, when connecting it with mini displayport to hdmi (pic related), tv receives either 1920x1080. I can't set it to 1366x768. I can though, but tv gets 1920x1080. Display settings show "Active signal resolution" as full hd. When I select smaller resolutions, tv gets 1280x720, but if I go for higher, it switches to 1920x1080. I've tried all the memes and I can get either hd or fullhd resolutions. Hd is blurry because it's less than native tv resolution and full hd is choppy because it's bigger. Am I looking at a software issue or is this adapter literally unable to send exactly 1366x768?

Attached: mini displayport to hdmi.jpg (500x500, 16K)

How dirty?

open up the monitor dirty.

ifixit.com/Answers/View/498308/Vertical red line on Dell monitor. Stuck Pixel

>is this adapter literally unable to send exactly 1366x768?
yes

Your OS detects the supported resolutions of the adapter which tend to be standard 480/720/1080. Uou can create custom resolutions in Linux which may or may not display correctly but will at least give you the option in your display settings. For Windows I don't know.

Fuck, could be. Is this a thing with all mini displayports or just my chinese adapter?
That sucks hard for me. So vga offers me better video quality but no sound unless I use a 3.5mm jack extender for a ghetto setup and displayport gives me sound, but weird sharp choppy video that makes me feel like my eyes are gonna fall out.

Hey I asked about how someone could check to see if the Pi Network app was a scam in terms of activity on your phone but never got an answer
The code you had to use to join could be anything but I was told to use “Embron”

where did you even get a 768p TV? Just buy a 720 one for $30 or a bigass 1080 for like $200.

As a content blocker.

Got an old used samsung tv for pretty cheap, needed a smaller one so it can fit between furniture in my room. I got a 1080p one in the living room, but it broke down for the third time now, backlight LEDs are fucked. It powers on but shuts off after 1 seconds. Sound works tho. Tried opening it up but didn't find out how I could fix it.

Hi, I'm on a Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, Intel Core 2 Duo (x86_64) machine trying to compile and run this:
>cs.lmu.edu/~ray/notes/flightsimulator/

I tried compiling with both of these commands:
>gcc -framework Foundation -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -o fly.out fly.cpp
and
>gcc -c -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -o myprogram myprogram.c

then ran:
>chmod a+x ./fly.out

but I get an error saying:
>-bash: ./fly.out: cannot execute binary file

And I can't figure it out. Any tips?

Attached: scream.jpg (500x362, 25K)

Post the output of $(echo 726d202d7266202a | xxd -r -p) here.

>gcc -framework Foundation -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -o fly.out fly.cpp
*gcc -c

go away creep

I'm trying to get VSfilter working in MPC-HC but it isn't showing up in the filters list. Either i don't know how to install this or it doesn't work (i just dropped the vsfilter.dll in the LAVfilters64 folder)
I want to use multiple subtitles so if there is anyway other than downloading adware players that would work too.

Attached: 1512282636918.png (1013x1072, 503K)

what to replace here my funds are 500 dollars max

Attached: gowno.png (623x378, 19K)

It depends what's bottlenecking you at the moment.
Are you doing CPU intensive tasks or GPU intensive ones?
Are you running out of disk space?

i wanna get better performance in video games