This program is getting pretty complex. It's a cpu hog

This program is getting pretty complex. It's a cpu hog.

Attached: 1564006010094.png (550x550, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/rhq56
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just wait for the Steam version. It's trimmed down and optimized.

suckless video games when?

It's not, it's just single threaded for some reason.
Suckless =/= performance. In fact, generally suckless = less performance and smaller code.

Attached: Modern World Bloat.png (1880x2172, 180K)

The point of a suckless program is that it is small and not very complex.
You get "high performance" simply because the software doesn't actually do much.

Can you prove it? For instance suckless love to compile with -Os which deterministically produces worse performing code on x86-64

The appeal of dwarf fortress is that it does much more than anyother game.
It actually is kind of suckless as it's focused on just simulation, interface and everything else be dsmned. Sombody else does an UI. Just like what suckless autists defend.
The only way to be more like that was if every simulation feature came in different modules that you could plug and play, but most stuff is related by formulas, and if you remove stuff it's no longer this crazy 'hard' simulation.
Also, even suckless projects have different line count max limits according to the goal. And no other recent sim has a few lines as DF.
TLDR DF is suckless because devs only care and only develop the simulation..

>Making a website with nothing but a single link
Google Web Designer is for lazy people with jobs

>Can you prove it?
That a program which does a very small amount of things is faster than a program which does lots of things, even if it might be less "optimized"?
I mean, comparing wm's is almost meaningless, all I can say that it performs about as well as i3, idling at 0.0% CPU usage and spiking to somewhere around 2.6% when spawning programs repeatedly.
But to what else would you compare it to, kwin? It would be an enormously unfair comparison for kwin, simply because dwm does something absolutely different.

To repeat myself the "performance" from a suckless program isn't the result of optimization, but that it actually doesn't do much, which makes comparison basically pointless.

>suckless love to compile with -Os
It is the default in their config.mk, at least for dwm where I checked, but you obviously can put in there whatever you want.

Sure, doing less make it easier to make it more performant. But it has notting to do with LOC.
When you take in account every detail from cpu cache levels, to ram, and cycles you end up with a more complex and lengthy code even of it does the same thing.
Suckless is not about performance. It's about tweaks, behing able to patch and change the code because it's simple, it's about to own what runs on your machine because you can actually change the programs. It's about SIMPLICITY. It's what makes it fun. Tinkers love it! It the peak of hacker culture! Quickly change stuff!

Another thing.
Suckless projects don't actually do stuff that need performance care. (And I think it's a good choice). They don't make compilers, compressors, etc. All programs in suckless don't require high performance computing. There is never mucha data to be consumed, or a complex algorithm to be implemented. That's why they don't run into performance issues.
And they should keep on doing that. Avoid tools that actual need power by definition.

We have been over this countless times, compare the throughput of GNU yes and *BSD yes, GNU is a lot bigger and a lot faster.

I mean, I pretty much entirely agree.
Suckless is great because it is small and you can actually understand what is going on in a reasonable time.
But the programs themselves make "performace" a kinda meaningless metric, as they are actually not really constrained by the resources.
Dwm peaks at under 3% CPU usage on my machine, it wouldn't make a difference to me if it were 2 or 3 times that amount.

int main(){
//game loop start
while(1 == 1){
/*
* This is where your customizable game code goes
*/
}
}

>here's your suckless game bro

You forgot to end the code block. I don't trust your programming skils.
I won't use that game.

I don't ever plan on even attempting to play this game, so could you guys please tell me your wildest Dorf Fort stories so I can experience it vicariously through you?

Attached: image.jpg (504x470, 264K)

too bad they're adding tranny dwarves

well shit can't play anymore

>It's not, it's just single threaded for some reason.
because you can't parallelize a sprawl of data interdependencies (the entire point of dwarf fortress) without reducing performance. if you had experience with multithreading you probably would have recognized that.

small code runs fast in practice because it can fit most comfortably in cache. this is backed up by compilers emitting the same thing with -Os and -O3 a significant proportion of the time.

anyway this will just be another thread of indians being offended at suckless because they dared to have an opinion on shit code and bloat.

you stole my image
you are fined 5 (you)s

thats impossible, dwarfs do not have genitals.

tell that to the devs archive.fo/rhq56

Well if thats the case, I cant wait to cull my dwarf population. More fun

Should add a new mega-project, Degenerate Chambers. Just a big room that you pump miasma into to put them out of their misery

>make a gladiator arena, and put all my useless dwarf children to the test to prove their worth to the fort
>throw them up against wild animals and war prisoners
Had some pretty good results. Not disappointed

Attached: glad1.png (1271x710, 359K)

You are so fucking stupid
DF is the absolute opposite of suckless

suckless is the opposite of dwarf fortress
and dwarf fortress is good free software hmm

There are a finite number of entities that will make some contact. You can apply even rudimentary multithreading by splitting the game area for each core.
>in practice
I don't believe you can fill your icache so often as to claim -Os has a performance benefit for you. Look up some benchmarks or stop using a Pentium II. For example, a ryzen 2300x has 4x64 KB icache. If you manage to fill that, you are one unlucky cuck.

but you play games not use them except in some edge cases

dwarf fortress is not free software, it is proprietary

DF really isn't good software and it's only free as in free beer. Suckless shit sucks too so don't get me wrong there.

>peak of hacker culture
No. Just because you have bunch of options to customize doesn't make you a hacker.
Hacking is about modifying something to do things it weren't supposed to.
Loose term anyways. And if the program grants you ability to change anything, that would be customization and not hacking in the true sense.

So basically easy mode

>WHOOOOSH!

That's a yikes!

Attached: cat-balloon1.gif (400x225, 995K)

come on guys gimme stories

Dwarf fortress is a simulator and nothing mote. No extra feature, no web no ui no nothing just a sim.

Suckless tools are not actually useful and you hacj them till they are

Less complex often means less intensive preprocessing, caching etc.
Those are very important for high performance.

>retard subhuman who uses idiot buzzwords doesn't even know what he's talking about
How shocking

And you're leddit

>There are a finite number of entities that will make some contact.
which you do not know in advance

>You can apply even rudimentary multithreading by splitting the game area for each core.
you haven't actually thought through this proposal

>I don't believe you can fill your icache so often as to claim -Os has a performance benefit for you. Look up some benchmarks or stop using a Pentium II. For example, a ryzen 2300x has 4x64 KB icache. If you manage to fill that, you are one unlucky cuck.
i'm just repeating what linus torvalds said on the matter

Let's see you implement DF, shithead.

Fancy algorithms are slower when n is small, and n is usually small.

Furthermore, when you have nothing to "intensively preprocess" and cache then you don't have to waste time doing so.

It won't be.

they aren't supporting linux on the steam version for some retarded reason

it costs you literally nothing -> free as in gratis

I...can't argue with that perspective

What is the best noob resource for playing this game

lazy newb pack
just gotta slog it man
there is no trick to learning it fast, but once get your visual associations and ui paths memorized its as easy as any other game

forgot to mention
autism helps loads
watch any video or streamer
every single one I've come across is overtly autistic
and that's not an insult, its just the truth

They have had a variety of mentally ill dwarves for a long time, why not add more mental illnesses?

Obese slob of a neckbeard was sitting alone in his dark room for hours. As he was scratching his unwashed, flabby ass, a dumb thought came to his empty, malformed head. He rushed to the only place his stupidity didn't get him banned from yet and wrote
>trannies r mentaly il
Yes, truly profound, he thought to himself, then he farted and went back to fapping to loli.

Trannies are mentally ill though. It might pain you to hear it, but it’s true.

They’re also incels. Nobody wants a tranny. It’s disgusting.

t. you guessed it

Where did the seething trannies come from? It’s still light out, you faggots should be hiding from the scorn and horror until dusk.

Man that obese neckbeard sounds pretty based not gonna lie

An infected panther got into my fort turning all my dwarves in werewolves or something. I locked those that came in contact away but still had to deal with the panther. We managed to get the panther high up off the ground and dropped it. The fall broke all of its bones and ripped apart its legs. It still got up and was essentially walking skin, terrorizing my dwarves. My fortress still collapsed :(

Samefagging mentally ill tranny who will never ever pass as a woman and is destined to live out his remaining few years as an outcast, forever getting stared at by the horrified masses.

tranny on suicide watch
(like always kek)

Every well-used dwm install is unique.

>Have lovely fort built into the side of a mountain
>Just starting to get the metal industry running
>Werehorse attacks. Wereanimals are super strong.
>Several killed, most of the military is injured.
>Forget that wereanimalism is contagious disease
>1 in game month later, half of the dwarves in the hospital all turn into werehorses
>Our best doctors and all of the injured veterans are immediately torn to shreds.
>The armory is across the hall, what's left of the military immediately gets massacred
>Manage to eventually kill all werehorses
>Remaining dwarves are either mortally wounded or have minor wounds that will get infected
>The ones that aren't physically wounded are all traumatized because the entire fortress if covered in gore
>Rioting breaks out amongst the insane dwarves
>Visiting bards play music as the fort descends into chaos
>Next batch of werehorses transforms

Seriously? I haven't read anything about that.

It is not open source. Free software must also be free as in freedom. Try again, retard.

Your brain slug needs to learn to read, buddy.

>adding steam
>trimmed down and optimized

as long as he doesn't drop the non-steam version, couldn't give a shit less.

Attached: 35783857189.jpg (552x800, 38K)

So don’t get the steam version, or run it in Proton.

Sorry, I don't have very interesting stories. I like to make large palatial fortresses with big death corridors filled with complex traps and fortifications for my marksdwarves so to slaughter goblins by the hundreads.

Trannies are mentally ill by definition. Having a gender identity "disorder" is mental illness.

Isn't the F dev a tranny lover now? Everything is lost.

>the F dev
There's one dev really, and Toady is a milquetoast liberal. He tired to pander to the tranny audience but he is too dedicated to his autistic simulation project to compromise it too much for ideological views.

>the guy who made liberal crime squad is a fucking liberal

Attached: mindblown.gif (320x180, 1.45M)

Shit, that post described you fatties perfectly.
Are you false flagging as obese neckbeards or did it hurt you because of how true it is?

Dilate.

what is that tileset, fren?

Toady just doesn't know how to implement multi-threading

There's so much fun shit that happens in DF. I had one fortress whose goal was to flood hell using a cistern that was over 100 z-layers tall that instantly killed my frame-rate. I've done an oil rig lead by Big Boss, had one fortress where elves kept bringing me bears and dragons to buy, but whose only real threat ever was a pile of sentient vomit, there was one fortress where I was going for kind of posh royal feel and make a trapdoor in front of the king's throne that dropped all the way down to the magma sea, but then, a fucking fire-pterodactyl flew up from it into the fortress. I only play it a couple times a year. Next, I'm either going full spartan fortress where I throw children, swords, and wild animals into a put, or I'm going to try a full vampire/werebeast fortress.

The new challenge in DF will be hunting down traps and exterminating them like vampires.

Attached: 1466393310959.png (933x574, 376K)

All dorfs randomly crossdress, retard.

It will be open source once the dev dies and foul play isn't suspected.

Attached: 1466786551519.png (691x463, 58K)

This.

If they're trannies there will be ways to detect them. They will get sad about being misgendered, fly into rages more often, and possibly arrange secret covens. I'm betting it will be a pretty straight clone of the vampire code.

This is fair and that way the game can't be taken over by (((them))) so it's actually the perfect model for something like a game.

dwarf fortress is built to emulate every single imaginable fibre of high fantasy reality from the dirt on your eye to the titans smashing villages. Simple code would still be complex simply because dwarf is monolithic.

Principally, suckless programs tend to suck.

Both times I tried playing that pile of shit
>generate world
>start loading into it
>crash
in b4
>lol ur compuar r shit
Sure, that's why everything else runs fine, right? It's that one fucking program that reveals that my computer is shit somehow. Sure, kids. Grow up.

please attempt to imitate the ttwilight movie saga if it were born from the mind of a death metal musician with 800% more rape.

is this the open source gayming thread? anyone playing CataclysmDDA?

it was the eve of august the 2nd when kaylee thought to zirself, the ugly fuck that zir was "If only i could btfo these fat ugly neckbeards and show everyone on my discord channel how much i love cock and how mentally superior i am to those virgins!"
It had dawned upon zir that the path to inner tranquility wasn't self improvement or coming to terms with who zir was born as (not what they felt they were from the years of sexual abuse by their father and being a closet faggot). Inner tranquility was born from acting like a retard online.

Attached: tenor.gif (409x498, 3.69M)

DF is not open source, sorry

Yeah steam.dll is going to bloat an already bloated piece of shit so much.

wow, that's really surprising to me. I didn't expect a game of such depth to be made completely behind closed doors

I thought it was just satire

Are you pretending to be retarded?

>
Yes, that would be awfully bad if you were meant to interact with the code, galaxy brain.

>waaaah simulate my Universe for free

Attached: 1564083281357.png (564x600, 172K)