99% of people using dynamic typed languages are using them out of laziness (and therefore sacrificing correctness)...

99% of people using dynamic typed languages are using them out of laziness (and therefore sacrificing correctness), rather than making use of features exclusively available via dynamic rather than static typing.

prove me wrong. (pro-type: you can't)

Attached: file.png (603x486, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crystal-lang.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People want ergonomics. It's a known fact. Why do you think Rust failed?

>thinking is hard and people prefer to be lazy. let's facilitate this bad habit in a domain where correctness matters

look how butt blasted the meme in OP makes dynamic typing fags

Attached: file.png (589x596, 93K)

>zero rebuttals
the absolute state

Attached: file.png (480x268, 176K)

"getting shit done" and "exploring new stimuli" is always superior to arguing on the Internet

Turn of errors, loop through array with numbers as keys where some numbers aren't set. These values are just zero. Handle everything as string.
If I want to compare numbers I parse them to int in the if() itself.
Works for me.

>70% of static typing proponents know muh theory
I'm pro-skub but it's obvious bullshit.
Vast majority of both sides are just people who like their type system more for personal reasons.

Attached: 1559780603574.gif (128x128, 175K)

>people fsmilisr with type theory
Lol

it's a shame people avoid using static typing for convenience. countless times i have heard people having refactoring nightmares just because they didn't enforce a specific type and used var instead in javascript. static typing was invented with a purpose, because software developers (which were smarter and more pedantic than all of us) at that time 50 or so years ago foresaw all the problems with exceptions at runtime. but, in the end, it all depends what gets the job done. another tool in the toolbox doesn't hurt, be it static or dynamic typing

Asked it before but

What language is as convenient as python but statically typed?
I spent some time learning go, wrote some non beginner stuff but still don’t like it. C is nice and simple and I use it a lot for low level computation but it feels like I have to put most effort in things not related to what I’m building.

Some projects ago I used python’s type hinting and enforced correctness through some script but it just doesn’t fit the existing libraries well

Attached: 151DEDF1-8222-4361-B057-22466A4EA0FA.jpg (1157x946, 358K)

here is my opinion:

>language has to be statically typed
>three types, numbers, objects and letters
>every type has multiple subtypes that are dynamically handled excluding exceptions.
>changing types from between main types has to be done explicitly.

yep done.

There are times when I prefer dynamic typing, and there are times when I prefer static. Each method is simply a tool, and you should use the best tool for the job.

Not sure about Python's mypy type checker buyer maybe look into that. Other languages seem to have mixed results with dependent typing so ymmv

Also worth looking at might be crystal-lang.org

What dynamic language fags don't understand is that by not specifying types it doesn't make the issue of types go away. It just hides problems so that things blow up at runtime and gives you a worse tooling experience in the meanwhile. The only valid reason to be using dynamic typing is if you're using features that only dynamic typing can provide, such as dynamically extending the methods your object can call. But most people aren't doing that. They're just being intellectually lazy and punting.

global type inference solves most of the ergonomic problems with static typing anyway

Thinking is the most unergonomic issue of all.

>The only valid reason to be using dynamic typing is if you're using features that only dynamic typing can provide, such as dynamically extending the methods your object can call
That's literally how everything is handled in Go, and Go is statically typed. Pretty sure Rust does that too, but since it has generics, you won't be doing it as often.

> Go...
What?

What what?
In Go, if you want to sort an array with the Sort function for example, the data inside the array must implement the method "Less", which is internally used for comparisons.
You can extend the struct on the fly and add that method before passing it to the function.

And then there's the mad lads who do dynamic typing in static typed languages using a struct containing a type enum and a union.

but lisp is dynamic

Unfortunately yes, getting something out there even if it barely works is better than releasing something written well but releasing even a month later.

t. person who isn't responsible for supporting shitty production software

- no serious companies use it in any meaningful capacity
- its best ideas have already been incorporated into newer languages
- successful lisp programs are successful in spite of being in written in lisp and benefit from lisp attracting developers further to the right side of the bell curve of ability

Correct, and I hope I never have to, sorry you have to but that what the shit the "industry" has settled on.

What type of development do you do? Where I work and at most places I'm familiar with a dev supports his own code

Or using option explicit and strict OFF

Still in college but I keep hearing about how friends that graduated hate working with these languages but understand why it is. From what I understand they just rewrite from scratch if it gets too hectic.

>Rust failed
>Microsoft just announced they're adopting rust
>Rust being used for libra cryptocurrency
>Rust used for most hyperledger projects
>Every major company using Rust for some new projects

Thats not a Dynamically extended object.

>and yet there is zero evidence of anything important using Rust, even the SSL port is laughable

i never understood sacrificing runtime in exchange for easier to write code, but i guess javascript exists.

The new Firefox rendering engine

Not a JS dev but increasingly I see teams using purescript / typescript