Power PC /PPC/

Reminder:
>>>/global/rules/10
>No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.

Evolution of PowerPC:
wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Power_ISA

What's new on the Amigaverse?
acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/5-sam-motherboards

Next-gen G4?
nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448?tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false#/

About Power9:
ibm.com/it-infrastructure/power/power9

Budget-friendly Talos Blackbird:
secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html

Literally when:
powerpc-notebook.org

Attached: 1564590381959.png (768x626, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.macrumors.com/threads/making-g3s-and-radeon-graphics-great-again.2191877/
qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html
68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/30618-ideas-for-use-of-mac-mini-g4/
es.ifixit.com/Respuestas/Ver/513/power supply repair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

POWER10 for consumers when

Attached: 1530990063470.png (380x496, 132K)

Hey PPC goys, has anyone tried
forums.macrumors.com/threads/making-g3s-and-radeon-graphics-great-again.2191877/
Yet? I’m sparty411 on the forums. Installing a window manager seems to break GPU acceleration, despite the pinned dependencies.

Attached: 2CD20732-58CC-4DFA-844D-D96E80DC72DF.gif (200x266, 119K)

What do you even use that thing for? Genuinely curious

What can I put on this to make it fun to fuck around with? I tried lubuntu and it was slow

Attached: power_mac_g3_1999.jpg (278x420, 16K)

Wrong board.

Attached: 1546030845419.png (400x1650, 367K)

Reminder that windows CMD.exe is absolute trash worthy of disdain and hatred, and that the windows.h header is more shit than an indian street

OpenBSD should be fairly snappy

I might try that out, not that user but I know of a few g3's laying about.

Give it a try. Debian Ports Sid might work as well.

stop having gay sex

You tell him buddy!! We hate Macs!! Let everyone on this website know!!!!

see

see

What does that have to do with PPC?

>Fami7455, AL1630, juancarlosonetti and 1 other person like this.
I knew MacRumors was alright.

Is buying a Power Mac G5 quad worth it? What can I do with it?

>What can I do with it?
Literally anything.

Attached: 1564649533043.png (1366x768, 442K)

>What can I do with it?
Attract fags to have gay sex with.

Gentoo

Try OpenBSD

>tfw hijacking macrumors ppc forum and turning it into a subsidiary of Jow Forums

Attached: E2326FF1-C4D4-4DC3-AA24-0D4E2AA23E9E.gif (400x225, 506K)

sparty, can you tell me which steps are you following to install a window manager? It should not break anything. I"m running fvwm with no problems.

Also, what do you mean by "breaking GPU acceleration"? Can you explain what is happening?

>t. juancarlosonetti

Stay in your containment site manchild.

No way. Whenever I found a roadblock and ask for help everyone brushes me off like it's something I should know to deal with myself.
I'm suspecting Jow Forumsentoofags don't really use Gentoo themselves or don' have any idea how to fix it, so they just pretend they know but won't tell.

I complete the guide you made, then just apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies. I tried again last night with fvwm, and had the same problem. I have 3D acceleration before installing any WM’s or DE’s, but afterward, I’m stuck with the software rasterizer.

Once upon a time, there was this young lad who wanted to install a Blu-ray drive in his 2010 Mini. He did what anyone in his place would have done and asked on M*acRumors if it was feasible... The replies he got were:
>you are still using a M*cMini4,1 in current year, user? Just buy the new non upgradable model!
>user, are you crazy?! It's impossible because Applel never intended the M*c to support Blu-ray and if Applel doesn't want you to install a Blu-ray then you must not!
Honestly, if I wanted to read this kind of dick sucking, I would have asked in Applel meme support forum. I ended up opening the thing myself and finding out if the optical drive was a standard laptop drive (which it was) and shoved a Sony Optiarc in the thing. To this day, it serves me well as a media center.

>i bought a chinkshit brand made for brain dead losers who are frightened of technology
>why are all the forums for my chinkshit brand filled with brain dead losers who are frightened of technology?

The PowerPC forum is dedicated to ancient machines, so you won’t often come across the average consumeristic nigger there.

Please gib xorg log file.

>so you won’t often come across the average consumeristic nigger there.
Apple is literally a nigger brand.

Mac OS 9

K I’ll post it to the forum later when the kids go to bed

No problem, when you do send me also the output of

[CODE]$ apt policy[/CODE]

How well does GNU/Linux run on the Wii U? I have one sitting around collecting dust so it'd be nice to get it up and running.

Will do, thanks.

Run Rhapsody on it and fuck around with development.

Naisu codu tagusu

>muh brands
Cringe.

There are no bigger haters of apple than on the macrumors forums

The PowerPC M*cRumors forum is much better. It is populated by a handful of PowerPC autists.

shit

PPC STRONK!

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-03 02-45-32.png (1366x768, 250K)

based. I've never used qemu before. Is it pretty straight forward to set up?

Is a PPC wii a good server? I was thinking about trying it out.

If you wanna run a Windows VM on Linux:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 followed by the following flags

- M: this flag tells Qemu which kind of computer (or motherboard) the guest is using. Example: -M pc.
-cpu: this flag tells Qemu the kind of processor the guest is running. For example, I used -cpu penryn and it's recognized by the OS as a Core2Duo.
-m: It's the ram. EX: -m 512
-cdrom: you guessed it! It sets de optical drive. You can use either an iso file or your real drive. Example: -cdrom /media/lubuntu/USBDRIVE/Windows.iso
-hda: It's the HDD. First you need to create it (I'll get to that in a moment) and then tell Qemu where it is. Example: -hda /media/lubuntu/USBDRIVE/Windows.qcow2

To create a HDD, enter a command like this one:
sudo qemu-img create -f qcow2 /media/lubuntu/USBDRIVE/Windows.qcow2 20G

That results in a virtual HDD called Windows.qcow2 with a capacity of 20gb. The file itself is a few kb and will grown dynamically as you install shit in it.

So, let's try our virtual machine:

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -M pc -cpu Penryn -m 512 -cdrom /media/lubuntu/USBDRIVE/Windows.iso -hda /media/lubuntu/USBDRIVE/Windows.qcow2 -boot d

-boot d tells the OS to boot from cdrom first. You can then change it to c or just rid of it after the install.

If you wanna find out the different kinds of cpu or pc you can emulate, use sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ? and sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -M ? respectively:

More info here: qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html

done

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to get XP going on my ibook.

68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/30618-ideas-for-use-of-mac-mini-g4/

my 1.5 seems pretty alright as a basic web/smb server, was fucking around with running a local text board on it, looks nice while it does it too

The pinned packages are okay. Xorg is also behaving as expected, and loading the Radeon driver.

Just to be sure, what is happening here is that dragging windows and scrolling is laggy? The flickering has stopped, and there are no freezes anymore? If so, what's happening here is that you are not getting 3D acceleration, and the window manager uses the CPU to render the windows. If you are using a compositor, the CPU will probably not be able to cope with it. Do you remember if Wheezy ran like this with XFCE? If you install netsurf and run it inside a WM like Fluxbox, does scrolling lag in the page of a Google search?

Please, install mesa-utils and tell me the output of "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep render" to be sure if this is what's happening. If it is, we can try to get your desktop smoother by disabling some graphical "bloat".

Attached: 35766414-63e4-43e5-8f5a-bd3a88b441b3.jpg (1280x956, 181K)

Developing what with what on Rhapsody?

I should add that, while some hardware has 3D acceleration without KMS, most does not, so, while crappy, this would be expected.

How's the performance? Is there Firefox for it? Why aren't you using Mac OS?

I'm pretty sure the Rhapsody previews had some kind of GCC environment or other development environment for people to get a feel for it in. It's a very different experience from OS X since it's pre-Aqua, plus you also get an OS 8.x compatibility environment that's quite appropriate for a B&W too.

I never liked running Linux or BSD on PPC Macs, it's just kind of dull. Experimenting with breathing new life into weird old unique systems and environments you can't get on any old Core 2 thrift store box is so much more exciting.

I've got a dp Power Mac G5 that I upgraded from 970s to 970MPs that died a few years ago, I think it's the PSU. It looks like the connector's a standard ATX one, is it?

You also say that XFCE worked fine? So you had GPU acceleration, and then after installing something else it broke? That's weird.

Some people have managed to mod the custom PSU to house the guts of a standard ATX PSU.
es.ifixit.com/Respuestas/Ver/513/power supply repair
From what I've read, everything should work except for the front LED, because that one is routed to a special 25v pinout that's reserved for the ADC socket.

So ADC power works but not the power LED?

I meant that 25v connector is supposed to supply power to the ADC and the power LED. Neither are gonna work and you could risk frying the motherboard if you plug a Cinema Display or any ADC monitor directly to the computer.
Fortunately, pic related is still around.

Attached: apple_dvi_to_adc_adapter_1495006544_c8845a2d.jpg (1080x1080, 174K)

lmao what a bunch of fucking pussies. should've told this uptight fucker to hang himself with his intestines.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 1.56.14 AM.png (1457x695, 127K)

That guy radiates some pretty strong autistic vibes. Kek

Seething lol

That's just a product of growing up in a zero-tolerance, authoritarian, ban-happy culture.

>I have a question. Apologies if this doesn't belong here. Please don't upvote. Sorry if this is off-topic, just let me know and I will delete my post. Please don't interpret this question as an attack. I have all the correct opinions but I'm just curious, again simply as a curiosity I have a question. Please don't ban me for asking...

Idk wtf I'm doing wrong kek. XFCE was working fine, then I installed another window manager or something, and 2D accel seems to be broken. Dragging windows is laggy as fuck. You really have to be a masochist to fiddle with Linux on PPC.

You could run release Mac OS X server 1.0; same thing but not beta software. I wish I still have my B&W, I have an original install CD for Server 1.0 but never got a chance to try it.

What is the last OS supported on PPC?

What compilers do you autists use?

Clang isn't able to call far functions on PPC, the worst is, it think it does. Do I really have to compile a whole fucking gcc?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-03 19-19-21.png (685x609, 65K)

Gentoo, Adélie Linux, Debian Sid, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD, are currently working OS's, just off the top of my head. The problem with PowerPC is that hardware support is retarded, and there's always something that seems to be broken.

Who else here PPC?

Attached: Picture 1.png (1280x854, 632K)

>How's the performance?
Windows 7 has every driver installed out of the box, so you can connect to the internet.
About performance, it depends on what OS you are trying to install on the guest and the kind of processor you tell Qemu to to emulate.
Maybe it's because I'm running the VM from a live session without hardware acceleration, but Qemu can't seem to push the virtual processor beyond 33Mhz. That's half the speed of a Toshiba Libretto 20 from 1997.

>Why aren't you using Mac OS?
I have OS 9 and Tiger on my G4 Cube and Leopard on my G5 Quad. I use Tiger the most (including Classic) and Leopard to play games that are too heavy for the Cube.

What are the specs of your iBook?
I recommend you try with a Windows 9x first. Windows 98 runs very well in my experience.

PPC represent!

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-03 18-27-14.png (1366x768, 258K)

It could take you a few days to compile GCC6, depending on the hardware.

Can you run A/UX on PowerPC?

Attached: images.jpg (300x188, 7K)

>What are the specs of your iBook?
I recommend you try with a Windows 9x first. Windows 98 runs very well in my experience.

I have quite a few, but the one I’m using is 800 MHz. You’re probably right, XP might be too heavy.

Phone posting ftw

Me too, actually. I wanted to try throwing it on my G4/500 in a dual boot configuration but can't find it now.
I tried to run OS X DP4 on it too and it wouldn't let me install, fucking sucks.
Unfortunately they shitcanned it and there was never a PPC port, Rhapsody or MkLinux seem like the closest somewhat official alternatives.
I can't see you having a fun time trying to emulate a complete XP machine on an 800 MHz Pentium II-class chip. Could try NT 4.0 or even 2000 perhaps if you want a more modern Windows experience.

>I can't see you having a fun time trying to emulate a complete XP machine on an 800 MHz Pentium II-class chip. Could try NT 4.0 or even 2000 perhaps if you want a more modern Windows experience.
Will I have hardware acceleration in Windows 9x? I remember running 98 in virtual box a few months ago, and it was stuck in software rendering mode.

Why would you compile a compiler?

Is cell still a thing, is it being further researched/developed or is it completely dead?

>1366x768

But really that is very impressive in all honesty. I didn't realize powerpc machines were capable of that sort of thing. Very cool.

Same reason you'd compile anything

nerd cred?

I was running dual monitors, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080 on my dp PowerMac G5. The Radeon 9600 Pro in it is capable of driving up to 2048x1536, and that's not even the best card that came in them

If you're saying you can't find your disk, you can get it on macintoshgarden.org, which is a fucking treasure trove. You can even connect via FTP from a classic Mac for easier downloads.

wart. My Powerbook G4 has a higher native resolution than that.

Like what? I've been using Gentoo for half a year now, I'm sure I could help.

Could you help me with sensors?
I installed lm-sensors and sensors-applet but even after running sensors-detect it says my PC has no sensors installed which is bullshit because they show fine in OS X.

Did you enable the suggested kernel options (I2C, etc)?

??? even a low-end G5 could drive a 2560x1600 cinema display
I've been using that site for years but I never knew you could connect by FTP, that's kickass.

I just had an actual factory disk at one point, wish I could find it.

Yeah I recently put OS 9 on my G4 mini using that hacked together installer the madmen at OS 9 Lives put together, and discovered the Mac Garden FTP site. It was a game changer.

>??? even a low-end G5 could drive a 2560x1600 cinema display
On OS X? Yes. On Linux? Enjoy missing 2/3 of your screen.

Back to your containment board manchild.

Attached: 1536980814190.png (400x1650, 367K)

ebin

thanks for bumping the thread you worthless nigger kek