Arch is minimalist

>Arch is minimalist
>Arch is great for people that want distros with no bloat
So many people everywhere saying this, do they not realize how stupid they sound?

Attached: derp.png (600x600, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.opensuse.org/forum.php
superuser.com/questions/235294/update-rolling-release-distribution-after-long-delay
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system
archlinux.org/
archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/s-nail/
archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/nano/
askubuntu.com/questions/565746/why-does-the-latest-build-of-ubuntu-have-an-amazon-button
quehow.com/how-to-disable-amazon-search-ads-in-ubuntu-14-04/6340.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably not.

>pacman -Suuy
> 1200 MiB will be installed
>non bloat
Kek

It's not bloat if it's something you yourself installed.

Wrong.
I can't speak for others, but most compelling thing about arch for me is: it's large community project (which makes things easier) and new packages. I like Pacman too.
Currently I'm openSUSE tumbleweed tho, just because they test things before pushing, thus making it less of a hassle.
Don't get me wrong, for a half year I was using arch I had no problems. But, you should always check their website before updating for possible problems and how to solve them.

In the end, just use whatever works for you. After all, you're not a mindless faggot following some cult or lonely dumb fuck who seeks to be approved by others, are you?

If you use Arch, you don't know 'real' linux. It'll always be a front to you nerd

>Currently I'm openSUSE tumbleweed tho, just because they test things before pushing, thus making it less of a hassle.

Is your Firefox bugged as fuck too or was I that fucked up something?

k

Is it? Thought that I fucked it up by putting my files from old profile, which was used in older ff version (all add-ons are missing now...)
Wouldn't say it's fucked up, but for some reason (after profile switch) bookmark bar appeared, not quite sure if all bookmarks are there, I open last session on ff, but for some reason it crashed and all my tabs disappeared. Can't confirm now (not at home) but I suspect, that settings changed to default.
Gonna try new, default profile tomorrow and see if it will fix.

this
imagine changing your libraries every fucking day so you have to get new recompiled binaries for the same version of one program you are already running.
Lol, fucking stupid for daily use. Probably ok if you submit bug reports or develop the last version

I think it's because of the recent web render push and some compiler changes on both mozilla and opensuse's side (to a lesser extent)
web render is old news but they are now pushing to more cards by default and more code changes will be done

Arch is a distribution where the developers are not interested in their user base. The users try to get their heads right up the arse of the devs, past the chin, right up to the shoulders. If you are a noob they will crack your skull open, rip your brain out and shit into your skull cavity. They arent interested in anything but sucking devs off and letting devs use the users anus as a cum receptacle

i'm installing arch right now

Attached: 1337.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

based

Attached: 1542685627207.jpg (1024x536, 68K)

I use Arch btw

Attached: arch users LOL.png (1080x1032, 1.43M)

Stop posting pictures of me, OK? It was just a prank.

It's not minimalist. Gentoo, LFS, CRUX is minimalist, if you want them to be minimalist, of course.

forums.opensuse.org/forum.php
Here is a simple test. Open the forum and go to login screen. I tested using Firefox on Windows, Kubuntu, Manjaro and Fedora and all worked fine like in pic.

But here, using FF in Opensuse, the green bar at bottom goes to the middle of login box and everything looks fucked up. My solution was use Chromium.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-02 SUSE Login.png (1315x637, 36K)

not him, but arch is bloated. their packages are not as modular as rhel/centos or debian (at least older debian versions, cant talk for newer ones because debian went downhill after their half-assed adaptation of systemd)

>Debian is stable
>Debian is secure
So many people everywhere saying this, do they not realize how stupid they sound? Like with Arch, it's a meme that never got updated because shills like the convenient justifications for their choices. Neither is a bad distro, however.

arch is great for developers

>do they not realize how stupid they sound?
No, that's part of the duning kruger effect

>minimalist
probably at some point it was a minimalist install, nowdays theres probably some distro without systemd and a trimed down kernel that fits this category.
Maybe some Hurd/Dur distro?

>bloat
i don't mind bloat if its not intrusive also im unable to see that bloat in arch, what do you mean with bloat?

no one forces you to update every day. i update like very month or so

>update every month
>arch
you're gonna have problems

Arch is minimalist in the sense that YOU install the packages that you want installed. There's none of this default crap that get's installed with other distros. Mongoloids choose to mangle that statement in an attempt to leverage their arguments both for and against Arch Linux. Ricer faggots are mainly to blame for the misinterpretation.

Attached: 2019-08-02-19:27:12_489x36_scrot.png (489x36, 2K)

that's not how upgrades work retard.
you just sync with a mirror, the mirror is supposed to have packages that work together, if something breaks is not because you waited.
that's a retarded cope because you broke something
>i update like very month or so
I too do so, for security reasons. Though for a desktop you could even go more time without upgrading. But installing software after the mirror updated is not a good practice, you should upgrade everything when installing a new program if you haven't did so in a while.

Honestly I see so many hating on arch users, but we never did anything bad. I like the idea of knowing exactly whats on my system, unlike other distros that install a bunch of crap im never going to use that may pose a vulnerability or give some weird interference at a later date

>not updating every day with arch
you're gonna have problems even if you do this, unless you read the notes, because it's the Arch way to break things.

>updating every month
31x worse than doing it every day

Attached: 1563747727621.jpg (2133x1200, 216K)

>But installing software after the mirror updated is not a good practice
ye sure, if i have to install software i just update before, my install is so old that i probably have the software already installed.

Can't now. Will check it in next 24 hours.
Guess, just wait for update? Or try GNU/IceCat, I think it uses older ff version.

>fujo fag doesn't know how shit works
not surprised.
find me 1 (one) official recommendation that upgrading often is better.
Protip: You can't.
You're following stupid broscience like the retarded faggot raging homosexual you are

superuser.com/questions/235294/update-rolling-release-distribution-after-long-delay

tl;dr it's bad, and the person was trying to find out ways to mitigate it because when you upgrade dozens of packages it's hard to tell which package broke your system

As for official recommendations...

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Upgrading_the_system

>just talks about what to do when things inevitably break

Attached: arch5.png (381x399, 29K)

ive never had my xorg.conf be broken

Same. It's an old ass meme.Should probably be relegated to the grandpa's on Facebook and Reddit.

Xorg has become a lot better in the last few years, to the point that most people don't have an xorg.conf anymore and just rely on conf files in xorg.conf.d to set particular settings and then use their desktop environment to set monitor position.

It was a huge problem a while back because Arch had a habit of upgrading the kernel without reinstalling the kernel module for the nvidia proprietary driver. The user's fault for using nvidia probably, but still, ti was an issue.

this is the official recommendation
>It is recommended to perform full system upgrades regularly via Pacman#Upgrading packages, to enjoy both the latest bug fixes and security updates, and also to avoid having to deal with too many package upgrades that require manual intervention at once.
And it does say NOTHING about it being more likely to break.
It probably will need more manual intervention, which is in the news. But it will be the same number as if you upgraded everyday.
Fucking idiot, stop pushing your retarded meme.
Reading the news is all it takes.
Last manual intervention was like a fucking year ago.
Fucking subhuman I just can't make enough insults for being as stupid as you and trying to act it smart

does pacman -Syu even auto update the kernel anymore?

>durr i have to go through a months worth of package advisories instead of doing it frequently
>upgrading a rolling release like it's a point release
>calls me a subhuman

it should upgrade every package.

Uh, yes...

and I correct myself, it wasn't a year before.
There's two in the last couple of months, after... 10+ months of literally nothing.
Doing so every month after reading the news: archlinux.org/
is not much work, and it won't randomly break as the newfag redditor says
>a months
literally two one liners in ONE YEAR?
Kill yourself stupid reddit

>having to read autist ramblings just to update your system
>the arch way™

i must have black listed the kernel or something, mines not on 5.3, its on 4.19

go the fuck back to r/linux stupid subhuman archtard

Attached: DUDE.png (1233x808, 165K)

in my experience:
- arch: if you don't update constantly it breaks a lot if you have a complex setup like mine (development environment, docker, libvirt/qemu, etc)
- tumbleweed: never broke on me even if I only update once a month, because it replaces the package set completely and they are tested within that snapshot
the only time I had problems was with something /etc related because I was using an older config symlinked. anything more critical and I can just revert to a previous snapshot (even if you don't use btrfs you can use tumbleweed-cli instead)
I seriously don't understand why people don't use tumbleweed when they need more stability
except if you are REALLY dependent on the AUR, a thing you shouldn't be using on the first place

>runs rolling release
>doesn't do frequent updates
what's the point? why not run something like Ubuntu where you wont have to worry about updates really, and if there are updates they won't break anything. You don't have to read blogs before updating, because it Just Werks.

>gets proven wrong
>moves the goalposts
sasuga retard, stop posting.
It's I would be ashamed if I were that retarded.
No distro upgrades once a month other than rolling releases. It still is in the scope of a rolling release, even more than one month or even a fucking year.
Is whatever you want.
Fucking idiot.
And you are the same kind of pretentious faggot who spouts shit like: "I use arch because I know how computers work, I've built this system from scratch"

Bloat is not a problem if you can afford it.

Attached: 2019-08-02-20:48:19_screenshot.png (1883x1025, 142K)

>imagine changing your libraries every fucking day so you have to get new recompiled binaries for the same version of one program you are already running.
that's not how dynamic linking works, retard

I went multiple times for 5 to 6 weeks without updating this year and it all just werks. It's not 2012 anymore.

>vii and 56
why?

it's a V64. it's my host GPU. the Rad 7 is guest GPU for VMs.

This, archfags don't understand that package count is only part of bloat.

Heres your arch bloat:
archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/s-nail/
archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/nano/

>[not installed]
>[not installed]
wow

in what way arent they modular?

why the fuck the live has nano but not vi?
are they retarded?

They are in the base group by default. Also systemd.

You might be using the LTS kernel, a wise idea, if you have this installed on a laptop. And I say this only because touchpad drivers are the only issue I've ever had with Arch, and LTS fixed that.

Arch is not minimalist, even wiki says so.
But it surely is good at avoiding bloat. It allows you to pick just what you need and doesn't come with useless software you don't need.

very nice.

I use Arch because I'm familiar with it and because the AUR is convenient.

Problem?

>superuser.com/questions/235294/update-rolling-release-distribution-after-long-delay
I installed Arch about 1.5 years ago on my laptop.
Aside from 1 incident of some missing cert during an upgrade that required a small manual fix, I have had an otherwise seamless experience. I love that I can keep it up to date without worrying extra bloat will be installed. Only the software I chose to install will be what gets upgraded. Unlike Windows or ubuntu where you are at the mercy of them as to what gets put on your machine from a major update.

>Unlike Windows or ubuntu
>ubuntu
are you pretending or you're actually mentally handicapped?
ubuntu is just arch with a different package manager and a desktop environment.
idiot

askubuntu.com/questions/565746/why-does-the-latest-build-of-ubuntu-have-an-amazon-button
quehow.com/how-to-disable-amazon-search-ads-in-ubuntu-14-04/6340.html

ah yeah, thats it. i dont see a point upgrading it rn, ita not like theyve magically made it faster

Arch doesnt include a DE, you pick your own, and Ubuntu comes with extra bloat software preinstalled as well as telemetry.

just the base and base devel packages pull a shit ton of packages and dependencies for them.

>check out at my minimalist setup!
>featuring the linux kernel

Attached: sumg.jpg (900x810, 55K)

>hurr durr why does amazon comes installed in the amazon version of ubuntu
do a net install like arch fucking subhuman illiterates.
You larp about "knowing everything about my computer" when you can't even make a headless server on ubuntu

bsd?

Sure I do, I run headless servers with Ubuntu, but I am referring to the big distro of Ubuntu that you yourself said comes with a DE, of which there is no Arch equivalent. You also mentioned that Ubuntu is just "Arch with a different DE and PM". That isn't correct as saying Ubuntu is just GNU+Linux with its own DE and PM.

>no bloat
>systemd
pick one

>hating systemd
t. cumbrain

t. cumbrain

What's the issue?
SystemD is in my eyes a massive attempt to unify linux and to standardize the whole thing, it's a kraken.
And what's more, once the possibility of alternatives is gone when systemd takes over enough functions, then it will be easier to have universal backdoors and exploits because basically everyone de-facto has to use it.

t. cumbrain

>t. cumbrain

enjoy your CVEs

have sex

enjoy your STDs

You are an STD

>you should always check the website
Use an rss reader, dickhead.

>using RSS in 20 + 1999

Attached: 1490895536882.gif (320x384, 2.23M)

Arch is not meant to be minimalist, though. What is the point of this discussion?

I like arch but I'm a paranoid fuck about updates so I'll go back to Devuan. Yeah it's ancient but it's what I was using in the last 2 years, never had any issue.

clearly an Ubuntu user photoshopped

Arch really does live rent free in your head. Just use whatever works for you, NEET.

Arch is a very bloated binary distro , what more needs to be said.

why are winbabbies obsessed with Arch users?

Arch users are the winbabies of the Linux world who lack the intelligence for Gentoo