/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1564425444930.jpg (1200x680, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/349844/how-to-stop-ubuntu-from-collecting-data-about-your-pc/
github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports/1030168#1030168
lwn.net/Articles/726902/
github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
askubuntu.com/questions/253337/remove-title-bar-and-borders-on-maximized-windows-in-kubuntu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for KDE neon

Attached: tux neon.png (3072x3072, 242K)

what are some cool

Attached: kysymysmerkkityttö.png (482x651, 137K)

Linux Mint 19.2, base Ubuntu 18.04, should I go with it or use any of the other distributions?

Probably me :^)

$ alias calc='bc -l

Mint is fine, go for it

Just go straight Debian.

What desktop do you want? You're better off installing Ubuntu 18.04.2 and installing Cinnamon if you want that, or using an Ubuntu flavour if you want a different desktop, or regular Ubuntu if you want GNOME.

Mint is a frankenstein abomination that changes /etc/lsb-release so when you add a PPA, it looks a for non-existent "tessa" repository (should be bionic, since it's based on 18.04). forcing you to edit the ppa manually.

For this reason and others (including instability) I don't recommend Mint.

If you want KDE, install KDE neon. It's Ubuntu 18.04.2 with the latest KDE software.

Which distros are not fine?

Ubuntu has telemetry.

anyone have insight on this?

Ubuntu

Is xubuntu botnet? Also between void guix and gentoo which distro should I install

Then turn it off when it asks to enable it. It's not Windows, it's possible to disable it. Also, telemetry is not inherently bad, if they tell you what data they collect and only use it to enhance the operating system. You can't trust Microsoft, but Canonical is a different story.

Stuff like popularity-contest is harmless, only braindead schizos are afraid of a mere package count. Same with crash reports, but YOU CAN TURN ALL OF THIS OFF IF YOU'RE AN AUTIST.

howtogeek.com/349844/how-to-stop-ubuntu-from-collecting-data-about-your-pc/

Xubuntu is fine. void is a meme, as is gentoo. If you want your system to work without extensive amounts of tinkering (and compilation times with gentoo) just go with Xubuntu if you're after Xfce.

This would seem like THE REASON not to use Linux Mint. Repository fuck ups, which you have to continously unfuck.

But you should have to jump through all the hoops to turn off the phoning home's. Just use a distro that comes without such crap, e.g. not Ubuntu.

shouldn't*

>"jump through hoops"
>literally one checkbox after install
>implying that Debian doesn't ask you to opt in to popularity-contest even in the netinstall, just as many hoops to opt out as Ubuntu's telemetry
>implying all this is bad and Canonical is spying on you
only true paranoid autists download illegal images are afraid of anonymized usage reports being sent to the distro maintainer.

retard

>MOM! MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, i mean UBUNTU IS SPYING ON ME AND REPORTING MY LOLI IMAGES TO THE POLICE

Attached: tin-foil-hat-girl__36772.1524873734.jpg (500x500, 33K)

>jump through all the hoops
Isn't telemetry opt-in, or is that just the case for Debian?

>arguing that privacy is something for criminals
Get the fuck out, retard.
It's opt-out.

>implying your privacy is affected because Ubuntu knows that mpdscribble crashed because of a quirk in your setup
>not telling Ubuntu so they can fix it so it gets fixed in the next update
>literally your only reason being that you wear a tinfoil hat and think that any anonymized data collected about your system is automatically bad
>while posting on Jow Forums and either giving your credit card information and identity to hiro or filling out a google catchpa

>literally one checkbox after install
if only it would actually work
you would think it simply doesn't send anything, but instead it sends "opt-out" to metrics.ubuntu.com in the sane intervals as the regular info
also the telemetry checkbox doesn't turn off all the other stuff:

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports/1030168#1030168
>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest
>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie
>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news
lwn.net/Articles/726902/
>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""
>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

i think "jumping through hoops" describes the situation pretty good, don't you agree?

What is the best daily driver distro?

probably arch

Using it right now. I really like the desktop environment but it's bugged to hell and back. What's another modern looking DE other than Plasma? I've tried Cinnamon but it doesn't even come close to Plasma tbqh.

What filesystem is it?
Is it actually mounted?
Did you manually mount it or use fstab?
Is it in your /etc/fstab?
Did you by chance set the drive to be "ro" in the fstab entry(It should be "rw")
Run qbittorrent from the cli and see if anything obvious is printed

if im understanding you right the file system is NTFS
It was mounted in my system folder so I think that may have been the problem (it works if i mount it in my home directory though i dont know if this is a good fix)
I mounted and tried changing the perms in the terminal but it never worked
The UUID there is not my drive.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-02 15-11-52.png (1600x900, 186K)

Why did Ubuntu switch from unity to gn*me? Unity was God tier, gnome is awkward and stupid

So lads, it's that time of the year again.
I think I have finally settled on a wm to use, which will be bspwm, but what about a bar
Which bar can you guys reccomend
And should I actually be using another window manager?
I heard dwm is all the rage, but I don't know if I want to spend all that time patching and compiling and looking for basic functions that should actually be in there from the get-go...
Anyways, I want to find a good tiling wm that has decent floating and mouse support and a nice bar to go with it..... please?

Attached: 3562986_3[1].jpg (630x630, 43K)

I need to try ntfsfix, cause drive won't mount and I can't access it does anyone know if it could delete files?

Attached: 2019-08-02-155742_1920x1080_scrot.png (479x381, 53K)

What do people use to automatically set monitor colour temperature based on day time? Something like flux but much more basic and lightweight?

bspwm is cool. I personally use lemonbar for its simplicity. You basically just pipe a shell script into it. If you're not a shell wizard, or just want it more featured, try polybar. If you just want a taskbar, try tint2.
We're trying to figure this out since 1993.

redshift will do what you want and unlike f.lux it's free software.

>try polybar
Well, it is kinda cool too, but it uses so much memory, I just have 1980MiB on the target system, and an intlel AtomN270 in addition to that limitation.
Will tint2 be able to handle showing the workspaces
I am about to give up and go the the i3 suite of things.
But I really want something that just has tiling, good floating and decent mouse support, I guess BSPWM fits the bill, but the binary space partitioning is needlessly autistic...
Is there something like i3 expect it is not i3 and instead just a standalone window manager?

That which you know the best.

What bit(s) of KDE makes the qt file picker the kde one? I don't want to use KDE but I want its file picker because I'm sick of a fucking foot.

Attached: 1562296185384.jpg (900x900, 82K)

archwiki
firefox
kde integration

You're putting way too much trust in a company that has telemetry with an option to disable it. How do you know it's disabled for sure?

I'd steer clear of distros that does this kind of shit.

How can I edit adobe pdfs on linux?
They are basically templates with read online on everything but the input fields.

I don't need to edit the templates at all just inputting in the field.

Attached: 1559646134695.jpg (748x1024, 61K)

Why does my Linux shit completely freeze.
>muh video drivers

Will that fix it for native qt applications, or just firefox hacked into using the qt file picker?

Cuz linux is shit

lincucks btfo

Any good resources to learn LAMP stack/apache2 and how it works with linux? I can find good info on each individually, but I'm confused with how it all works together on the system, if that makes sense, especially how it spreads out over the system.

Attached: _Stallman_quote.jpg (758x688, 79K)

ok so imma trying to netinstall debian 6 and no network mirror works, any help pls?
>why debian 6 and not 10?
cause this debian is magically supported in my pre-sse3 pentium and latest one isnt

not sure if it's the right place to ask this but is it possible to play all types of modern video games on linux or will there be some OS dependent incompatibilities?

Attached: 1562627685424.jpg (355x495, 106K)

“LAMP” stands for “Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP”—a common combination of software to use on a web server, except that “Linux” in this context really refers to the GNU/Linux system. So instead of “LAMP” it should be “GLAMP”: “GNU, Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.”

Attached: 1554837026538.jpg (720x960, 61K)

You can't run Windows programs on GNU/Linux, but you can emulate them using WINE. While endless games run smoothly, other endless games run buggy. There are native GNU/Linux games, but not too many, nor "AAA".

>but you can emulate them using WINE
yeah that was my point, i was wondering if wine could emulate windows 1:1 so i can play vidya without having to partition my drives
i mainly use debian on my current rig and only boot window for games

KDE connect stopped working partially a few days ago
It works with my debian 9 server but not with my debian 10 desktop or laptop
What did they fuck up?

Attached: 376b893c335f0968eb2bc84fcfa971ee.png (741x568, 29K)

>Apache
Use nginx, dont deal with that out date peice of bloated insecure shit

with my android phone that is
my debian 10 pcs can pair with my server

Stop using systemd. Stop using SELinux. Stop using Linux. Stop using Firefox.

>when you don't shower

>when you don't have any sexual life, or even friends

Take a shower, it's good for you.

I'm about to reinstall Gentoo, lads. I miss it terribly, but I'm so tired and I need some motivation.
Should I even bother with FDE? My laptop never even leaves the house, so ...
What about hardened? Is it even worth it? I always tune my kernel with enough security for networking and such, so I don't know. I can only imagine it causing more issues than it's worth.
Definitely going the Suckless route this time, dwm, st, etc. I just want a small quick system functional enough to watch my ahnimays and InvidiousTube videos and browse Mongolian finger puppet crafting forums...

Attached: 1544713262247.jpg (1819x1786, 507K)

bump pls answer

Why randomly insulting stallman? Get outta here.

Point out the insult in the observation of RMS not showering, please.

Consider the following: I suspect RMS is insulting the noses of the other people pictured there.

Not Stallman, the spastic that got irritated about the GNU/LINUX naming

How do I figure out which of the 7000+ NixOS services to enable

Does anyone here use debian unstable?
How is it? Also , what is the sources list supposed to look like?

If you have a IOMMU capable CPU, you could try running Windows in a virtual machine and passing through the GPU.

i remember that happening once. something to do with the ssh host key.
a force reinstall cleared it up since they were regenerated. not sure how it happened, since i never touched them.

Tried reinstalling on my phone and desktop and the problem persists

the openssh-server package was what had to be reinstalled on the computer.
but it might be something else entirely.

If I am paranoid something has infiltrated my linux distro (kde neon) and is spying on me what should I check? Also in general what should I check to see if I disabled all phoning home, telemetry, and other shit like that? Does KDE Neon even have telemetry and phone home?

still nothing
restarted phone and desktop
confirmed sshd service is running

this is literally false, and ubuntu asks for donations in a clear way.
Mint has changed packages so buttons donates to Mint instead of the original package maintainer.
Ubuntu at most has optional bug reporter, which you can turn off before installing, and an amazon.com shortcut.
If you're talking about Unity that's another story, it had built in ads.
>jump hoops
It's literally a fucking checkbox when you're installing it, and is just crash reports.
Fucking subhuman.

do i really need all this sudo/dbus/polkit/consolekit/pam/ldap/eudev shit on a single-user gentoo system with just a window manager and no login manager?
like, i know how to manually mount USB drives and shit myself, yknow.. idk

No, that is just for initial setup.
If you're not using GNOME or KDE you can just leave the default, select the Desktop profile, emerge world, and emerge the window manager you want.
Is not hard, I think you can download a linux kernel already compiled.
There really is no difference with building the kernel yourself or installing a binary one.

debian.org
suckless.org

based
cringe

gentoo.org
suckless.org

You could install wireshark on a computer placed between that computer and the network... what did you install? KDE neon is pretty safe, but Ubuntu is compatible with lots of stuff, including potentially malware.

Don't worry about Ubuntu telemetry, it's all anonymized statistics about package use and program crashes. It's nothing like Microsoft and Windows.

gentoo's package manager is bloat

>Don't worry about Ubuntu telemetry

Attached: post.gif (120x160, 826)

it's slow as fuck desu, but at least it has that thing about USE flags which makes the distribution more modifiable

>mfw I totally agree with you and refuse to use distributions which ask you if it's ok if they know how popular packages are

Attached: Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg (320x240, 56K)

Why is undervolting this much of a hassle on Loonix whenit's so simple on Wangblows? Wattman for Ganno slash Loonix when?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-02 18-56-20.png (662x1357, 200K)

>Calculating dependencies - / | \ - / | \ -
>god, portage is so slow!
>. . . Done!
>finally, now i can wait five hours for all this shit to compile!

Attached: 1557939559577.jpg (400x400, 148K)

How do I remove the space between tabs and global menu in Firefox if i use, like I said, a global menu panel in Plasma? The part with the red squiggle on it needs to go.

Attached: fgdfgd.png (265x133, 12K)

unironically install dwm

radeon-profile senpai
github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile

kek, yeah. Even if it were faster building times aren't better

You could right click your firefox widgets, and then go to customize, and finally uncheck Use System Titlebars... but this is broken on KDE because they don't fully support GTK client side decorations. Works in GNOME though.

here
I'm not sure wtf I did but I fixed it somehow and the empty space disappeared. Cool I guess.

>ignores all evidence itt
>keeps le privacy is inane posting
ebin

i have a gtx980, what driver should i use: nvidia or noveau?

Attached: 1480533995584.jpg (912x526, 173K)

>evidence
>literally the opt out that Ubuntu provides
>nothing of your intimate details is revealed with anonymous usage statistics
but nooooo ubuntu is just as bad as windows with photodna!

here
Apparently if I right click on the close button, the space goes away, but then it comes back as soon as I open another tab. What the fuck?

So there's no way to not get that ugly empty space if I want to pretent do be a macfag with a globalmenu?

leave my house with my phone for a bit and it suddenly works when i come back
i tried taking it off the wifi before but that did nothing
huh

Do you want to play games and have a lag free desktop? Use proprietary

Do you have a hard on for wayland and slowness? use nouveau

You could create a kwin rule to remove the decorations for maximized windows (esp. firefox)

askubuntu.com/questions/253337/remove-title-bar-and-borders-on-maximized-windows-in-kubuntu