KDE And GNOME Are Joining Hands To Build A New-Age Linux Desktop

> Yay KDE and Gnome hands in hands!

fossbytes.com/kde-gnome-joining-hands-build-linux-desktop/

What do you think will result out of this? A one unified desktop? Nothing of value? Or even more seething rage from both parties?

Discuss.

Attached: Linux-desktop.jpg (1200x675, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Inclusion-Diversity-Team
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvu3xiFmfDU
calligra.org/news/handshake-donation/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's about fucking time. Focus you motherfuckers, and accomplish something!

Nothing. There is no way they could agree on anything. KDE/Qt and GNOME/GTK ecosystems are so different from each other.

God I hope this is not fake.
There's a lot of division between software in Linux.
Drawing: Gimp, kirita, paint clones.
Office at least is unified on libre.
Music and audio: There's pulse audio but a lot of audio editors that are shit.
Video edition: there's kdenlive but it's mostly shit.
IF they seriously join forces, this is going to be great.
KDE that is not buggy, GNOME that is not botchered and uses less resources, KDEnlive that doesn't crash.
Will it be called KNOME or GDE?

also their design philosophy. it would be a fucking monster.

wrong article to create a thread for

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Inclusion-Diversity-Team

Kill yourself subhuman Jow Forumstard

nope still alive, what should I do now?

THE AGE OF Qt

BLOAT

I would rather see xfce get a complete makeover, ported to GTK3.0 and GTK4.0 than have whatever abomination is going to come out of this project

This is just inclusive shit... nothing will happend they will hire some womans that progamed a 10 line application that existed for like 20 years.

> application ""ecosystem""
> made by Gnome devs
its gon B fugged.

Always looking for trannies, aren't ya? You might be gay, lad.

Thread theme:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvu3xiFmfDU

someone already told me to kys and i'm still replying, what do you expect a grade school level insult like yours to do? i'll answer for you: absolutely nothing. I'm still here. I'll still be here. what now?

>I'm here
>I'm queer
>What are you gonna do about it?

So I see you're running KNOME... You know, I'm actually on GayDE myself

oh no he commented and changed a word around i'm shaking in my boots

Holy fuck man, if kde and gnome merge what will they use? a replacement for qt and gtk3? I just hope this speeds up wayland integration already.

>video edition
wut?
knome is retarded, gde sounds alright

>I'm so mad! Literally shaking right now!

did they pick up a name and logo yet?

> GNOME Launches An Inclusion & Diversity Team
In Russia we have a proverb: when cat has nothing to do, it licks its balls.

The only difference is that the GNOME project has shitloads of work to do.

Attached: drag-queen-8.jpg (619x349, 32K)

They're not making a desktop, they're working on the application ecosystem. Sounds like making GTK4 and QT5 applications look and feel closer.

Only KDE will survive.
GNOME is getting worse every iteration.

>The only difference is that the GNOME project has shitloads of work to do.
Yeah,judging by their desktop. KDE devs need a lot of help.

meant video editing, fucking spic

>office is unified
calligra.org/news/handshake-donation/

Gnome will decline every proposal from kde while kde will actually try to listen to them for some time, but then they'll say fuck it and go separate ways yet again.

Shit + shit = unbelievable shit

Attached: DwQ7YTvXgAAbwUx.jpg_large.jpg (396x396, 26K)

>What do you think will result out of this?
Absolutely nothing, because of egotism and because the two desktops are incompatible.
It would be like the Beatles teaming up with the rolling stones.
They would try but fail and after a year or so everyone would brush the embarrassing mess under the carpet

I don't know, if it were handled in the way Canonical handles their hackathons, I think this could be successful.

Prophetic

I just hope KDE doesn’t get cucked in negotiations.

>I just hope KDE doesn’t get cucked in negotiations.
They already are, so why waste the talent?

>KDE And GNOME Are Joining

Attached: f70.jpg (644x800, 75K)

What is a queer again?...

>even more seething rage
from an autistic community, this goes without saying.

Common term for describing you.

Good if temporary. Bad if long term.
When making designs for something it is better to have competition of ideas with somewhat regular consolidation at intervals to see what works with both.

This works both with free software and any general proprietary design.
You can compare this almost to organisations in society 2bh. During the day we consolidate info by working in the city or at our organisations. Before and after we leave our seperate ways and we tend to stew on things in the back of minds perhaps. It's where our individualities begin to take more hold on them to, persuading them where to go.

Attached: 1546880704032.jpg (750x823, 125K)

Attached: 1547886228247.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

Someone who can't code.

What's up with Jow Forums and its obsession with bloat?

>what is with Jow Forums's obsession with making efficient technology

Attached: 1563250950292.jpg (287x353, 54K)

Bloat screamers on Jow Forums only care about idle RAM usage, package counts, binary sizes and LoC though.

Oh shit, this is going to fail horribly. The Gnome devs have their heads so far up their asses that they had to cut a hole in the back of their necks.

How dare they aim for efficient technology!

Fucking kek! Gnome is committing sudoku!

FUCK

Except maybe for idle RAM usage (although the question should be if RAM is used efficiently and not how much is used), none of those things have anything to do with efficiency though.

I tried Calligra once just because I'm using KDE Neon and it was fucking awful. Libreoffice is dogshit but Calligra is just fucking sad.

2020 will be the year of the GNU/Linux desktop.

What's even worse, they got 100k to fix it and didn't had a single commit since them, probably running away with the money.

OH NO NO NO

Is anything safe nowadays? What the fuck am I supposed to use now if I don't want to support this fucking shit in any way shape or form?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-02 19-03-58.png (745x194, 17K)

Will the filepicker meme finally be a thing of the past for objectively inferior, non KDE distros?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

>hundreds more dependencies per package
no thanks

>hundreds more CIRCULAR dependencies per package
there, fixed it. We're talking KDE, give it some respect :)

>He is cooking at 35°C in his muslim infested country
Stay jelly

>Drawing: Gimp, kirita, paint clones.
How would it be better if we had fewer choices? Use whichever fits your purpose best. I use Pinta because for quick edits it's the best.
You should try out BSD, there's so little software, it's amazing.

They're scared of the Deepin chink botnet DE

>What the fuck am I supposed to use now
i3, sway, awesome, etc. the most autistic the stronger the gatekeeping

user, it was 50C in some parts of Paris last week...

what if they made a revolutionary and yet classic appearanc-

oh wait xfce allready is a thing and chicago 95 is it's best product.

Look, if you're not universally tagging your html-fucking programs to show the netscape navigator then get off my dick

i click the windows logo and i get security linux.

Saying something is efficient because it has lower LoC or ram usage is like saying an engine is somehow more efficient because it uses a carburetor
Sometimes you need some extra code in order to meet the demands of multicore and other complexities

>and nothing of value was produced

This shit is like when compiz and beryl merged. That shit is going to be so fucking bloated

I'm glad I just switched to XFCE then.

gnome is gtk which is garbage
kde is qt which is trash

Why don't all GPU manufacturers just merge and charge everyone 2000 dollars for the base model?

Trojan horse of GNOME, so they can maximize damage when they break everything 6 months later

Awww yisss

Fragmentation is literally, unironically, a GOOD THING, not a problem to be solved. I sure as hell don't want to be stuck with whatever garbage the two worst, most retarded, and most bloated DEs come up with as the "one standard Linux desktop".

If application developers are mad about fragmentation, that's an indication that they're shitty programmers and didn't write their application properly, in a way that can deal with a wide variety of different distros, DEs, library versions, etc. Instead of bitching about "fragmentation", they should fix their lazy, half-assed bullshit.

there is no reason for a DE to be doing so much computation that it needs more than one core. If you're a DE project and you need to worry about this at all, its a symptom that you're doing too much ancillary crap that you shouldn't be doing in the first place. Or that you're writing your DE in fucking Javascript, which is also a retarded idea.

>the new desktop will have the lack of features of GNOME and the lack of stability of KDE

>even the filepicker remains gnome

This is fuckin' gay, for forever you have been able to run GTK applications on KDE and Klib applications on Gnome. It's just yet another example of the stagnation in the Linux desktop arena and desire to create standards not to benefit the user, but to make life easy for megacorps.

The real redpill is simply using a window manager and not a full desktop environment. Windowmaker with dockapps and an automounting daemon does everything a full DE does and it'll run on a computer from the 1990s.

>>the new desktop will have the lack of features of GNOME and the lack of stability of KDE and GNOME
Fixed. But yes, this is exactly what will come out of this.

choices in software is desirable
choices in desktops are fine
but to this day there are still spergs arguing over shit like terminals, X11, systemD, and wanting it to turn into 100's of small programs all glued together with an outdated command line, creating an unstable (in a political sense) platform than professional software companies wouldn't dare try supporting
New-Age Linux Desktop my ass

On the contrary it's all the efforts to 'simplify' the system which result in enormous buggy programs which inevitably break, like systemd.

A system where you have a number of components all of which are designed to work together has a barrier to entry which few niggers will ever comprehend, this is why computers have been constantly dumbed down, which ironically cripples their utility for people who actually have the mental capacity to think of them as more than an animated TV screen.

White people suffered tremendously when BASIC was removed from computers, but the niggers could understand point and click, so the potential user base of computers expanded enormously.

People here bitch about phoneposting but it's just yet another stage of the niggerization of computers which started with the courting of the GUI user, instead of the user developer which was envisioned by Alan Kay and Terry Davis.

If Smalltalk had been adopted by industry in the 84-87 time period like it should have been we'd all be user developers.

What is the pulseaudio of widgets?

Attached: 800px-Pulseaudio-diagram.svg.png (800x975, 169K)

If it's not written in C++ then I don't even give a shit.

If it's in C then a pox on both their houses. C can't fucking die soon enough.
If it's got any SJW faggotry then fuck them.
If it's written in Java or C# or anything non-native then fuck that and fuck them.
If it's got any Microsoft or Google AIDS on it then fuck all of them.

Fuck you, faggot.
SJWs and the rest of you sanctimonious virtue signalling faggots are the problem. Someday hopefully we'll have a solution.

Realistically
>desktop_environments++
Which will just cause more fragmentation but hopefully they work on and stick to (doubt) a standardized interface.

>I demand you not use the most efficient language and instead write bloated garbage that takes a year to compile
Liking sepples is a mental illness.

Attached: cat++.png (200x209, 34K)

C suffers from precisely the same slow compile problems that C++ suffers from.

>bloated
youtube.com/watch?v=zBkNBP00wJE
Now shut up. You're a retard talking out your ass about things of which you know nothing.

The only reason to dislike C is the lack of memory safety and it's not like sepples improves on that.

Can't wait for yet another DE that only a % of the community uses while the rest keep going wtih KDE and GNOME.

Attached: 1547680177227.jpg (1200x1200, 381K)

Do you expect anybody who has actually compiled large C and C++ projects to believe you bullshit?

Attached: chadandbetalaughing.jpg (600x532, 40K)

>C++ doesn't improve on memory safety
Smart pointers. auto. RAII. Standard containers and the STL. C++ does improve on memory safety.

Oh, and on top of that C++ gives you tools to write sane code to accomplish actual tasks instead of a spaghetti mess of macros, void pointers, and unsafe pointers to functions.

Try writing a generic container in C that's safer and faster than a generic container in C++. When would you ever need to write a generic container? Oh just all the fucking time.

No, exceptions do not have a run-time cost until and unless you actually use them (in which case they're no more costly than manually doing error handling in the typical C fashion). Oh, but you don't even have to use exceptions at all in the first place-- you could just write error handling like you would in C anyway! So don't bring that shit up. It just makes you sound ignorant.

You enjoy refactoring code to rename type declarations everywhere? C++ gives you auto. It's safe and correct and requires less work from you.

I could go on I suppose, but I'll just leave it here because I'm pissed with myself for getting into an internet argument with some dipshits on Jow Forums.

Bitch, I worked on large C and C++ projects for almost a decade (and I mean two million+ of lines of code). Don't talk to me about how C is better than C++ compile times. It's not.

>Drawing: Gimp, kirita, paint clones.
That's like saying photoshop, paint tool sai, and coreldraw are divisions.

Different tools for different jobs m8.

> KDE And GNOME hurr durr herp derp

how about they fix their fucking bugs instead

>You enjoy refactoring code to rename type declarations everywhere? C++ gives you auto. It's safe and correct and requires less work from you.
It obfuscates code. It is evil. Programs breaking when you fuck up is a GOOD thing.

So in other words a giant dog's breakfast of features. Some of which are optional but should be used, others which are available but should not be used. Make all your choices correctly and you might possibly get memory-safe, performant, and maintainable code. Oh and remember to make sure everyone adheres to the subset of features you've chosen to use and not use and how to use them and when, and that no developer or team goes off their own way on that.

If that's unacceptable then C++ is unacceptable. If your answer is "Well then you just need to make sure you do it right!", well then you could say the same about C.

C is cancer.

OS should be a managed environment.
Its kernel is the only thing that should run natively.
All programs should be written in lisp.

GNOME
>youre holding it wrong
>wontfix

KDE
>patches the bug
>patch creates 2 more bugs next week

One good thing about C is that it discourages the developer from adding more stuff. It's painful to have a lot of code in C. This is why gtk and osx apps are relatively clean and uncluttered.

Attached: 1*7NJ2JZDHzm98aZ6emaenFg.png (783x500, 252K)