What's your opinion on gaming laptops Jow Forums?

What's your opinion on gaming laptops Jow Forums?

Attached: 71VmlANJMOL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1119, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-PH315-52-78VL/dp/B07QXLFLXT/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E69ZTYDG6M6TTZ82G0C5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

some are great but they are mostly glorified shitty 5 kilos pcs.

Why pay $2000 for a laptop when you could build a PC for a fraction of the cost and get the same or better peformance

My main laptop is a gaming laptop. I think it's great.

The amphibious cars of the computer world. Not good at being portable, not good at being desktops. Even a midrange desktop and a cheap laptop will do a better job than a high end gaming laptop.

I would never use one myself, but apparently they're a lot better with battery and heat than they used to be. If you can get equivalent specs to a tower at 1.5x the price, I wouldn't see a problem.

the portability, retard.

it's a good option if you want a small, contained setup and you don't plan to upgrade your computer too often

Some of them are truly excellent machines, like the Legion Y740.

Honestly I wouldn't spend more than 700 bucks on a gaming laptop in 20190. Anything more and you might as well as getting a proper gaming rig

About to buy pic related, some people travel alot with business and they have their place, but I believe that lots of people that might buy them probably don't really have a true need for one. I'm only at my house for 2-3 months of the year so spending the money on a desktop I barely ever get to use is pointless. When you're stuck in a hotel in the ass-end of nowhere in a foreign country for a week or more at a time, sometimes it's nice to play some games to get away from work for a bit.
Most people hating on them and answering 'get a desktop' have no idea that some people live differently to their NEET wagecuckery

Attached: 2019aero.jpg (1600x1074, 174K)

Overpriced as fuck, but if your lifestyle doesn't support desktop, it's just a-ok.

bad battery life.

>NEET wagecuckery

Choose one faggit.

Not really portable when most laptops battery won't last more than 2-3 hrs while gaming

Very expensive but still practical for students who need the portability and want to power for games. The real smart move is to buy last gen's gaming laptops off those students when they graduate and refurbish/upgrade.

And anyone complaining about their weight or bulk is a limp-wristed fag. That's what durability and upgradeability feels like.

portable as in you can move the device, eg at lan party/hotel

not battlefield on the bus,

when most people game they use a mouse so theres usually a table and where theres tables youll find sockets for power

Attached: yuno.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

NEET OR wagecuckery, which one covers you faggot

this guy gets it, tho id go up to 800-850 for the better gpu options, as those are stuck there forever

nothing wrong with a gaming laptop if you're going to be playing games at different places frequently.
I had some friends whose family had a vacation home they would visit frequently, so they had gaming laptops so they could play in the evenings.
I have a razer with a 1060 as my laptop so i can game on it when I'm out of town.

another plus is if you're in college and you have friends coming in and out of your house or apartment all of the time and you want to game in the living room while they watch tv instead of closing yourself up in your room, thats another good reason for a gaming laptop.

It's nice to have both. I DONT think you should get a gaming laptop with a rtx 2080 or some shit.

It's so worth it to have a badass monitor, nice peripherals and a rig that can run every game.

dont get extreme and you're less likely to experience buyer's remorse

>buying a laptop with soldered GPU
lmao

Attached: PhotoPictureResizer_190730_110003093_crop_4032x3024.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

They're great portable editing workstations, they're not great at being gaming rigs. They also get a lot of more hate than they deserve imo from people who don't really understand why you'd want one.

Personally, I fly/move a lot for work and I'm not going to try and bring a desktop on a flight for a two-week business trip but I also need to be editing videos aand other things in that time, and I also like playing games in my hotel room. So it's in my best interest to have one. That said I still own a proper desktop-- if you can't afford to have both that's on you.

what modern laptop that does not look of gaymer rgb assblast has moddable gpus?

Attached: tumblr_mvrhlowFgs1sqyy7ko2_1280.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

>gaming laptops
utterly pointless.

>portability
so fucking what? I get it if you actually got some use-case like
and that's valid, if you play games at different places regularly then sure, get one. If it's mostly going to be used in one place then a tower's preferable. I never play games on the go so I'm fine with a laptop with a iGPU.

this is the gaming laptop thread. If you're too insecure to deal with LEDs in exchange for user configurability then your priorities are wrong.

ill accept any laptop with rgb that i can change to white/bue

still, youve given no model so...ill assume your lyin

Attached: owwooo.png (568x509, 254K)

Been running this thing for almost 5 months, for the $600 that costed me, its amazing. Good linux compat and getting better with 5.3 so yeah.
Also LEDs are red only and only on the keyboard so its slightly less faggy than the rgb options.

Attached: 914472-864956-800.jpg (800x577, 69K)

The pic I posted is an Alienware M18xR2 which has very much gamer RGB.

Attached: maxresdefault(5).jpg (1280x720, 102K)

>"heh, gottem"

>gaming
>laptops
I mean you can have one...

moddable gpu?

Attached: oh NO.jpg (508x508, 113K)

two SLI-capable slots up to GTX 980M

980m... yeah old, im looking for current laptops

amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-PH315-52-78VL/dp/B07QXLFLXT/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E69ZTYDG6M6TTZ82G0C5

that's comparable to modern high-end models really. 1660 Ti is the top of the mountain right now, yeah? Blame manufacturers for not maintaining the MXM format.

good offer but id not spend more than

850as stated here

and im assuming it still has no moddable gpu
hmmm mr

i would but it wont change shit

nice

Attached: st.jpg (512x456, 30K)

Alienware Area-51m

Thing is a fucking monster and honestly doesn't even look that gamer except for that massive exhaust at the back

believe me i love that device however at that price i wont buy it, unless iim really well off maybe then

Attached: you know im something of a criminal myself.jpg (586x604, 238K)

Desktops are better purchases. The only reason I use a laptop for any type of gaming is because it was given to me by my older brother who did not need it anymore since he has a desktop and I am on a strict budget so I cannot get a new PC any time soon.

My main method of gaming is still console and sometimes 3DS. My laptop can only handle older titles and indie games.

based sataniaposter

Attached: 1434050733769.png (566x720, 491K)

I just hate any gamer branded product even though I play games.

If MacBook's didn't turn to shit in 2016 and they had Nvidia graphics I'd game on one.

The only people who should be getting "gaming laptops" are those with some sort of job that requires them to constantly be on the go, constantly going on business trips and staying at hotels, etc.
For everyone else, you think you need one, but you don't. Hell, I'd wager *most* people don't even need a laptop, period. And for those that do, just get a desktop and then a cheap budget laptop for word processing and internet browsing.

I dislike 99% of gaming laptops because they tend to be thick, heavy and overall an abomination of a device, looks like you can take flight on it or might turn into a transformer.

Good thing that year by year they are becoming stealthier, I wouldn't mind owning a Razer Laptop nowadays, they pretty cool.

>And anyone complaining about their weight or bulk is a limp-wristed fag. That's what durability and upgradeability feels like.
Also
>complaining about sensible heat dissipation

Go grill your nuts under an aluminum MacFirehazard.

>i9 9900K
>desktop 2080
>$4000
>1080p TN panel
It might be specced well bit they went full fucking retard putting such a shitty panel in it, even if it is 144hz

Well it should be at least portable and not cause a housefire. The other problem with laptops in general is the lack of upgradeability, especially nowadays.
Everything is soldered-on now, you can't upgrade parts that much. It would be great if you could upgrade a laptop the way you can with a desktop. Put a new motherboard in there.

How about a business-class laptop like a ThinkPad and use an eGPU for gaming instead?

>B-but you can't easily carry an external GPU with you everywhere!

If you're taking your laptop to play vidya with tight graphics in the library, in class, or at a coffee shop, you're the reason why we need a nuclear holocaust.

eGPUs are shit is why.

how are you this retarded.

I've always seen them as more practical than desktops and weak laptops. To begin with, pretty much the only thing that separates a "high-end laptop" from being a "gaming laptop" is the GPU.

I've never been the type to desire using my computer in just one spot of one room all of the time, so I've always had a laptop as my main computer. Since I'd rather not have a slow laptop with weak processing power, I start off by looking at high-end laptops. And since I'd like to have the option of playing computer games on my main computer, I hone in on high-end laptops with powerful GPUs (aka "gaming laptops").

For me, the only trade-off is battery life; which only becomes an issue in the rare circumstance that I'm somewhere without power for an extended period of time. The size/weight difference is essentially negligible, since it's only a few extra pounds. Other than that, I have no problem paying more for something more powerful than other laptops and more convenient than desktops. Gaming laptops tend to be the most upgradeable laptops as well.

Attached: 1558330437384.jpg (600x600, 48K)

>gaming laptop

Attached: ocasio-sydney-leathers-feet.jpg (1200x800, 109K)

That much money for shitty TN Jesus Christ the cringe. At least it has HDMI out

i have this setup with a thinkpad x1 carbon and an aorus gaming box with a gtx 1080
works pretty well BUT you're bottlenecked by both thunderbolt and the laptop cpu just being slower

I’ve put thought spending $2000 on the Alienware Area-51. Gtx 2060, 16 gb ram, Intel i7. The thing is My desktop is nearly the same specs but I only spent $1,000 on it. I’d sell the desktop and just do all my work and gaming from my laptop in my free time.

mobile video cards are not equivalent to the desktop models in terms of performance.

Nowadays they're just slightly underclocked versions of their desktop counterparts but otherwise their the same

The ones starting with the 1000 series that are not max-q are the same as the desktop only don't expect to get that performance off the battery, it's literally half.
I found some thunderobot brand with a 1070 for a grand last year and it was the best purchase I ever made. Very accessible interior, excellent cooling. That said stay away from any gaymer laptop that is thin, power means heat which needs air exchange to keep it cool.

honestly if you can't afford to have both, keep the destkop unless having a laptop is an absolute necessity. And I'd still recommend getting a cheaper laptop and keeping the desktop unless you're someone like and you're gone more than you're home

I wish it has dedicated PageUp & PageDown buttons

any keyboard without a numpad is a shitty one

Do you want to play or accounting?

>going on 3 week trip for work in two days
>only thing I have to play is my switch
>nobody has a gaming laptop I can borrow
>double exp buff in FFXIV will just waste away
>thinking about just buying a gaming laptop from best buy before I fly out Sunday

Should I do it? Once I am done the laptop will just collect dust... I guess I could use it on break while I'm at work.

Attached: 1494564819293.jpg (349x620, 38K)

what?

If you have limited space and are expected to pack up and relocate frequently for your job it seems perfect.

>so fucking what? I get it if you actually got some use-case like
how about bring something powerful to uni that can run matlab/autocad etc

not everybody is a virgin neet incel like you, user

You shouldn't be addicted to gaming that you need to play while mobile. Desktop is superior.

>Lelnovo but not Thinkpad
>Excellent

There's always the Surface Book if you wan't a decent looking laptop without the gaming bs

I got this for $700 USD. It's pretty good, has a good slick black desing and not that faggy space ship shit. Has a 120hz screen, gtx 1650 and a ryzen 7. Couldn't ask for more desu.

Attached: IMG-03-08-19.jpg (1040x780, 57K)

What gaming laptop do you guys recommend? I am currently looking at the Asus Strix 3,which costs $2,200 on Amazon. I have the money, but I don't want to make such a huge purchase on a potential waste.

>Dude, why no gamin pc?
-No space at home
-Bring it to work (night security)
-Take it with me when visiting family up north

I think they're a waste of everyone's resources, but thanks to a few key factors (product placement on Big Bang Theory was a huge boost) Dell's Alienware brand has grown so big that now everyone thinks that the XPS is a decent device, which means they've been steering both the corporate and gaming laptop market to where we are today (a shit show).That era ends next year as the charismatic tool responsible for both brands leaves Dell to join AMD as their new "CGO" where he will probably waste time and resources leading a team to produce color changing threadripper CPUs.

If someone could design a durable and portable device that was as modular as regular ATX hardware and had non-air cooling options, the market would probably be more robust, but if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bike.

As it stands, they are meme machines, to be sought by children and manchildren alike. The entire mobile device market thrives on short lifespans, where companies that actually produce tough, durable, upgradable devices fail because they couldn't overcome this perception. Combine that with the price of a decent GPU and you have a device that costs 4 times what a laptop should, and yet wont last 4 times as long.

My man you clearly define excellence based on your ability to impress rich kids. Look at this fucking thing. They decided that a rainbow keyboard wasnt enough of an assault on eyes and battery life, added parking lights to the back and sides. Why not add more vents if symmetry matters? Neither the 15 or 17 inch models even have a fucking numpad option. Pic related.
Look at the chassis. This is the fat sassy black chick of laptops- expensive, flashy, and an ass that's going to knock into stuff.

Attached: excellence.png (1800x1178, 1.32M)

Not that great unless its older games. The internal temps are gonna get so hot that the CPU/GPU starts throttling bad.

A gaming laptop is not a potential waste of money, it is a sure and definite waste of money.

You are either in the position where you have enough disposable income to waste on such a frivolous purpose, or you are not.

but you're asking for advice on what to buy, so here it is- get a mobile workstation. something like an HP zbook G6 with an AMD chipset and a drafting/modelling spec GPU like a quadro P2000/3000/4000. Get one with a 1080p display if you can.
Now you've got a durable laptop that wont fall apart or be rendered useless by speculation patches or poor battery life, and the only tradeoff is you need to reduce some shadow quality and antialiasing settings to get 60fps.

EIther that or keep your money, wait for google stadia, and then buy a 200 dollar chromebook.

Just bought one yesterday. I'm very happy with it, it's pretty much perfect. Except for that abysmal "ControlCenter" that Gigabyte ships with it, that's absolutely terrible.

I've begun reverse engineering it to make my own (mainly handling the non-standard Fn keys and fan controls) to not have this piece of shit running.

actually mentally ill

>What's your opinion on gaming laptops Jow Forums?
Easier to move around than a desktop, in most cases short battery life and need to be plugged in for full performance.Overpriced for the specs they get you compared to a diy desktop pc and also tend to overheat.Harder to find parts for them and work on repairing them yourself compared to a desktop. In short you pay for the mobility factor and the brand name. If mobility is your concern, i can see why people go for them. Even a mini-itx desktop or a nuc need an extra monitor which you must either carry with you OR have one in your destination.

why not build an sff system then? pic related is 1/4 the volume of a midower and can house an air-cooled 9900k/2080ti

Attached: 3A6EEDC2-4F87-49D8-B50D-C7F2B8B23481.jpg (1080x810, 80K)

You still need a monitor mouse and keyboard which wouldn't be as practical and compact in extreme cases.
Which do you think is easier to pack into a travel bag?

I'm getting one of those new Dell G3 15.
I wasn't really planning on getting a "gaming" laptop, but this one seems to pack good performance for a fair price (mostly thanks to a friend and discounts). Also it doesn't scream "GAYMER".
This won over non-gaming models because I get a better GPU and more USB2/3/C/Ethernet ports, which always come handy.
I just hope the display is bright enough, since I'm not getting the 300nit 144hz one.

This seemed a decent all-rounder with possible upgrade options.
I do webdev, software/game dev, and network admin stuff so I just wanted a laptop to carry around and cover all cases.
Hopefully I won't fucking regret it.

Attached: Dell G3 2019.jpg (913x606, 65K)

Bought an Aero OLED, love it, and it's not looking like full gamer shit.

Did you deinstall the ai tool? I have 0 documentation or even a shitty readme file on it, nothing on the internet either, imo it's pretty much data garbage.

I needed a machine that I would mostly use as a desktop at home, but that I could also take with me to uni sometimes, or when visiting my parents over the weekends. My budget was around 600€, so not enough for a dldecent desktop and a non-shit laptop.
And the only laptops in that price range seem to be marketed to "gamers". So I got a Lenovo Y520-15ikba. Sure, the battery like sucks at only around 4 hours, but since I don't take it with me thar much, I don't really care.

>Dell

you will regret it

How soon and how hard?

Which is it? Will we see Ryzen 3000 and RX5700 laptops?

I thought this was the situation that applied for me, and so I kept stubbornly insisting on "gaming laptops" but as soon as I built my first higher-end PC I realized how wrong I was.

1) limited space is a meme. Even without getting into matx/itx builds, a PC tower REALLY doesn't take up much space. Unless you somehow live in a place where you literally have absolutely zero floor space and your room is packed like tetris, you have room for a desktop tower.
2) transporting a desktop isn't as difficult as many people seem to think. Throughout college, gradschool, and adult life, I regularly travel/traveled several times a week on average, and I'd normally bring my desktop with me too. Just put it in the back seat, and put your cables and shit in your bag, there. Also if you know the place you're traveling to has a spare monitor or TV that's a suitable size to be used as a monitor, you can just leave your actual monitor and use that one while you're away temporarily.

I'm not saying transporting around a desktop is as convenient as a laptop, sure, but it's certainly doable. And I'd much prefer that to being cucked and spending out the ass for a "gaming laptop" that has the worst features of both a desktop and a laptop combined into this awkward middleman that fails at everything.
At most just get a cheap no-frills laptop capable of playing games from a generation or more ago, and just play those while you're on the go. Only time I would ACTUALLY recommend a gaming laptop is if we're talking about someone who's entire job revolving around being on the move, like a pharmaceutical sales rep or a truck driver or something.

Did you get the glossy OLED? Is there any anti-reflective coating on the screen? buying one for uni so will prolly be using it places that'll reflect a lot of light off the screen, and am concerned if it'll impede readability.

also, how's the keyboard? i'm hearing mixed reviews on it.

shit keyboard and small battery, 97kwh should be the standard in all 15 inch chassis's
if it had these it would've been a very good all rounder for work and play.

I've thought about buying a clevo but i honestly just wish business laptops came with a gtx card instead of a quadro

Fair enough, I was mainly arguing its use case for people constantly on the move as you have stated.
I own a full sized desktop tower myself and can fit it in a studio apartment just fine with two 28" monitors (one landscape and one portrait) on a small computer desk but I have seen really cramped studios and I certainly would find difficulty fitting one as you won't have space to fit anything other than a bed and wardrobe.

i bought mine during bitcoin craze. it was cheaper than desktop equivalent because of inflated gpu prices.

Bought a 1500$ as my deployment machine when I got my comission, poor little thing made it through a lot of mortars and even more sandstorms.

Attached: 1564551867020.jpg (640x676, 37K)