/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Welcome to /tpg/!

Art credit goes to @YangGang20203 on Titter

Prev Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Fuck that Pwn guys Trannycord

Attached: EA09xejXYAAFz4X.jpg (2048x1431, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.pissedconsumer.com/lenovo-refuses-to-repair-poor-quality-thinkpad-under-warranty-refuses-to-honor-onsite-warranty-despite-claiming-milspec-201709151101077.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nu thread, no furshit or trannycord this time

oh shit meant to post this on old tpg

How can Lenovo still get away with 16:9?

>Microsoft is successfully giving us glorious 3:2 and consumers don't even complain.
>Even Apple has stuck with 16:10 all these years. But granted, their userbase doesn't know what aspect ratio means, so...

Just do a 3:2 Thinkpad already, Chinks! Stick with the 6 row keyboard if you must but please just make web browsing on laptops enjoyable again.

anyone got any more papes like these?

Attached: 1564118954639.png (1920x1080, 396K)

please rate this build? checkmarks are shit i already bought. also, what is the best screen for the t440p? from what ive heard the N140HCE-EN1, but im worried because it has so many fewer color than the B140HAN01.*, but with that monitor im worried about the purported "yellow tint"

DESCRIPTION PRICE
t440p 50
i7-4800mq 70
samsung evo 860 500G 78
ac adapter 24
9 cell battery 40
keyboard 21
2x4G PC3-12800 35
t450 trackpad 13
N140HCE-EN1 50

Yes

I only got my W540 one, to which I've made a bunch of autistic additions which I think look epic and cool

Attached: Think.png (3840x2160, 936K)

Should i get a T480 or a (display+keyboard) modded x230? I need something light with a good keyboard.

Attached: 1518911578428.jpg (1242x1231, 119K)

edited one

Attached: ThinkWLogosv7ds.jpg (3360x1080, 774K)

modded x230 definitely. better yet, get an unmodded one and do it yourself, it's pretty easy

Attached: 1551053983014.jpg (968x720, 179K)

make better laptops lenovo, thinkpads are crap

Attached: crackpad t420.jpg (640x853, 66K)

stay mad

Attached: 1413448426550.png (900x1174, 1.36M)

samefag
hoes mad (x24)

>ching&chang to the resuce
lol

lenovo is shit, the casing cracks
did i hurt your feeling for telling the truth? ooops, my bad

well, fuck lenovo and fuck the shills

Thanks user! Wont it be slow and won't the t480 last me longer as ill buy that one new with warranty?

Attached: 1520130961734.jpg (691x547, 155K)

Attached: 6198231894563.jpg (492x600, 127K)

Nope, X230 is still a great machine. Plus, there's upgradibility and if you need you can use expresscard for egpu.

also see how lenovo representatives (aka Jow Forums shills, but you get the same response if you contact them) react to someone having problems with their shitty product:

>your fault!! my uncle has one, no problem!!! no problem!!! your fault
but chang, the laptop is crap

>nooo refunds!! no refunds!!
but chang, come on, it's shitty plastic, it breaks

>nooo, go away, you lying, you butthurt, china stronk!!! reeee reeee

lol, fuck
lenovo is shit

Attached: 1564781496887.jpg (3264x2448, 1.95M)

>I paid $1300 for a shitty nupad and my cheap, easily replaceable palmrest got a crack in it
>ThinkPads are the worst, least durable machines ever built
>My $4000 Apple® Macbook Pro™ would never treat me like this
>It's Lenovo's fault I dropped over a thousand dollars into their hands for a shitty nupad (that, for the record, most likely works perfectly fine still, you're just too lazy to replace the palmrest)
Quick question, if you REALLY don't want to take 10 minutes to replace a palmrest, why the fuck do you care so much about having a crack in it? ThinkPads are laptops that are meant to work you fucking dipshit, not beauty statements. Your meant to drop it off a building, and have the laptop still work, you shouldn't expect the casing to be in tip-top shape. Even then, however, it's still durable and can withstand a fall. Your friends at Apple® actually care about beauty and fashion so go suck their dick if you really care that fucking much, faggot. stay mad

Attached: 2f7.jpg (601x508, 31K)

>inb4 he calls this poster chinese

Attached: 0135794038.jpg (210x240, 8K)

sooo, my 10 year old pc just broke after fucking with the bios

ive been falling for the thinkpad meme for a while now, thinking about using the x220/x230 as a main computer but there are no offers near me that i can verify irl, theres one x201, is it worth checking it out? or should i just wait out a x220 offer?

Attached: IMG_20190702_172000.jpg (1536x2048, 933K)

if you don't want complains, make better computers, chang, you piece of shit
i have to deal with your shit quality and bullshit, no, fuck you! fix your fucking shit, you retards

make better computers, lenovo is shit and so are you, you're part of this

tl;dr: lenovo is shit, chang is butthurt, life goes on

Attached: IMG_9165_P50 Riss_Cover.jpg (2932x1744, 1.53M)

He called me chinese lol
>I'm going to post the same three images of nupads having cracked palmrests to make it look like this is a more common issue
>I'm going to call anyone who made smarter decisions than me (not buying a ThinkPad for +$1000, a shitty nupad at that) chinese and lenovo shills
>I'm not mad, you're mad!
>You're the one who's butthurt!
>Sure, I spent my rent's pay on a laptop from a chinese company that is known for making worse laptops than they used to, but ME???? I'm not butthurt!! Sad!
>Everyone is chinese except for me and anyone who agrees with me!

Why, is calling someone chinese considered an insult?

like pottery
he thinks anyone who disagrees with him is a lenovo employee, aka a chinese shill.

Attached: 45618953.jpg (495x479, 16K)

yeah pretty much
but that's not why, he's been calling everyone who doesn't agree with him chinese because we supposedly "shill lenovo"

>you need a million new pictures of cracked lenovo crap for us to think about it
the fuck? oh ok, quality before anything

>proceeds with some retarded memes, as usual, mental capacity drained to zero at this point
lol, ok chang

Attached: P_20161207_111823.jpg (817x467, 46K)

>he thinks
>responding to me in third person
yes, google that, maybe you don't know what third person means?
you like anime, don't you? it's cool, right? cartoons are great

lol, yeah, trust this guy, right here

Well yes, actually.
According to some article Lenovo ThinkPads have amassed +100M sales, so until you show me that atleast 1% of (aka one million) ThinkPads have cracked palmrests, I'll consider it a consistent, common issue. I will properly acknowledge it.
>0.00000005% of thinkpads have a cracked palmrests!!11!!!!1! Terrible quality! Lenovo bad!

how do you even know how many people have this problem? do you work for lenovo?

>1%
is that the quality one can expect from lenovo? what about other problems, also 1% for each?
so i guess half of them would have to break immediately from some kind of problem for lenovo to recognize it

fuck that and fuck lenovo

I gave an estimate of how many pictures of cracked palmrests you've shown us at 5, turns out you actually only gave 4. 5/100,000,000 = 5^-8 you fucking tard
If you want I'll lower it to a quarter of a percent. Fuck it, a tenth of a percent. give me proof that at least 0.1% of thinkpads how this issue and i'll consider it.

Attached: 72160731.png (500x535, 400K)

>estimate from the number of my pictures
lol, are you serious? pfffftt

anyway, here have some more

Attached: s-l500.jpg (500x340, 21K)

more

Attached: 4518993758_6443115d23_b.jpg (1024x674, 88K)

Attached: 4518993766_87e09d49f8_b.jpg (1024x768, 106K)

Attached: 5441606202_5370efd1e3_b.jpg (1024x768, 152K)

Attached: vtjroqrj5ap01.jpg (3036x3248, 762K)

Attached: yaKPA9h.jpg (2160x3840, 925K)

did you even understand what I said? I thought you could've shown us 5 pictures so 5/100M. You actually gave 4 so infact it would be 4^-8% of ThinkPads with cracked palmests. anyway, neither the image in this reply of this one are palmrests, the first one is from an SL series ThinkPad, cheaper, consumer oriented, not as good as T/X/W/P. The second one, I can't even tell what that's supposed to be, but I can tell you it's definitely not an older ThinkPad. Regardless, do you know that either of these are cracks to "just so randomly appeared"? or were they dropped? Just go buy yourself a macbook and you won't have to deal with a simple crack. hoes INFURIATED (x24)

these are only a few of the many you can find in 30 sec on google

Attached: lenovo x250 Crack.jpg (800x800, 203K)

I have a lenovo E470 with a 1080p screen bought it 2nd hand it has a a dead pixel im just wondering how hard is it to replace the screen can it be upgraded to 120hz

dropped or "magically appeared"?
hairline crack, big fucking deal oh boy also,
nupad, also
chipped corner, not a crack and you can't tell me this shit "magically appeared". outta here with your bullshit faggot
nupad (even though it's xx40), also

And I did your cute little "google search". overwhelming majority of them are nupads, and none of them say that they "magically appeared". Also, still not looking like 0.1%. stay mad faggot

If discord = botnet, cant we have a irc or mumble chat to relax in?

Attached: IMG_20190619_223027.jpg (3000x3000, 1.43M)

>asks for pictures
>oh shit, oh shit, so many, so many
>damage control engaged
lol, what a fucking shill

i can go all day long posting pictures of shitty lenovo laptops and how they crack, so go fuck yourself now
you asked for it
maybe i will start posting tons of pictures you can't find on the internet of broken lenovo laptops

>go buy a mac
no, you fuck, i bought a lenovo, i paid good money for it and it's shit, and it cracked from regular use, so go fuck yourself

fuck lenovo and fuck shills

Attached: ZK96H-rMigrmKLUWG3ELo22EFnbR4jBAJJpYIm4LTCw.jpg (640x441, 54K)

never buy lenovo laptops
look at this shit and look at their response
>buy another laptop
>you're lying
yep, this is them

Attached: xer8C.jpg (2048x1536, 185K)

My T440 isn't fast enough anymore for things like Java development, so I'm looking for something affordable around 800-100, what does Jow Forums recommend?

Sir ples do the needful and read the OP and check for your model, if it isnt there then you surely overpayed and got cucked hard, i (the plst above yours) payed 100 us for my t510 and havent gotten a single crack or general issue

Surely a W laptop would be better

when did I say it was too many faggot? I can also do this all day, it's an off day for me. quit showing me nupads which we have all acknowledged have shitty build quality. and get the fuck out of here with you "magically appeared" bullshit. we all know you sat on your fucking thinkpad fatass
>this shitty nupad that I spent all my money on has a crack because I can't take care of my devices waaaahh
>waaaaaah I have a single digit IQ waaaaah
>I thought spending $1300 on a nupad was a good idea waaaaah
>I've been cheated and cucked waaaaaah
>Lenovo's fault waaaaah
>samefagging this hard

Just look at all these evidence and my own experience.
How do they react? Of course they know their laptops are crap and they break, but they will never accept it.

That's lenovo for you. Better buy something else. Lenovo is shit.
Consider yourself warned.

>Lenovo refuses to repair poor quality Thinkpad under warranty, refuses to honor onsite warranty despite claiming milspec

lenovo.pissedconsumer.com/lenovo-refuses-to-repair-poor-quality-thinkpad-under-warranty-refuses-to-honor-onsite-warranty-despite-claiming-milspec-201709151101077.html

Attached: lenovo_lenovo-refuses-to-repair-poor-quality-thinkpad-under-warranty-refuses-to-honor-onsite-warrant (576x768, 16K)

butthurt faggot in full damage control about lenovo, lol

Attached: image.jpg (480x640, 43K)

>lenovo quality

Attached: aOcf3Lvdm0S7JTa9A_cGtw7tR_OtoG9G3cug0XONvbM.jpg (1200x628, 101K)

>showing another thinshit nupad
>samefagging this hard instead of accepting you made a really stupid choice
>thinking that these pictures are enough evidence to justify calling all ThinkPads bad quality
>actually buying lenovo laptops new
>from lenovo
>for real
>actually
stay mad, hoe

Thanks user, now last question. Will the laptop market change in the next years? Im willing to drop good money on a laptop, but completely unsatisfied with current premium tier laptops. Will that change?
If it wont, maybe i should still get the 480 with an extended warranty.

Attached: sip.jpg (108x108, 10K)

>you were stupid enough to buy a lenovo laptop, so you can only blame yourself

lenovo customer service in a nutshell

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-l520-core-i3-23ghz-4gb-320gb-windows-7-156-laptop-b-6.jpg (800x800, 415K)

>sl series
>not knowing the difference between the thinkpads to avoid and the ones that are good
>probably having never read the OP, or at least you never took its advice
>continuing to samefag, posting the same pictures () over and over again. Also, sidenote, looking at , I only now noticed how fucking cheap the nupads have gotten. They have stuck on lettering, not like what they used to have, on the island style (at least on xx40).

Does x230 need ssd firmware update? It's openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE.

meh, fix your shit lenovo, your laptops are crap
and fuck the vile creature shilling and doing this complete retard damage control itt

Attached: DbZdjhPWsAEaRl7.jpg (640x387, 45K)

goaway smelly iJeet

Attached: tenor.gif (220x216, 39K)

>he's this mad

I dont think so, companies want thin and light and they keep shilling thin and light very hard. If you want the T480 though it isn't a bad laptop since it has quad 8th gen incel cpu, so if you want the extra kick go for it. Warranty is a scam though, it's a thinkpad not a MacBook.

>here, have some photobucket lenovo picture, bro
lol

fuck these chink laptops, absolute shit
stay butthurt chang, keep seething

Attached: f2.jpg (850x530, 51K)

you keep shitposting lelnowos shitbooks iJeet. git gud. and even then its minor cosmetic damage, if the laptop still works who fucking cares iJeet?

pic unrelated

Attached: m'linux.png (333x510, 171K)

The power of one angry boy who got fucked in the ass by Lenovo after having paid them $1300 for a shity nupad. Stay mad, and like the shape of my post, hold this L.

consider yourself warned

thinkpads are bad quality laptops that will crack from regular use, just from regular use
if you still want to buy this shit, your choice

lenovo knows this better than anybody, but they prefer to pay reviewers and absolute idiots to do damage control and shilling on the internet,
instead of fixing their shit, it's cheaper this way

Attached: IMG_8185.jpg (640x480, 27K)

Holy based.

This is either iToddler cope or shitty bait, why don't you go pick up a T60 and see if it breaks from normal day usage?

>Yes this garbage model nobody ever recommends and not even from the relevant product line from a company most people here acknowledge has significantly declined is totally representative of the products talked about here.
Who hurt you user?

oh fuck, he touched the thinkpad, now he's fucked
he can only blame himself

Attached: IMG_8186.jpg (640x480, 29K)

bump

>consider yourself warned
ohhh watch out guy he's going to send his faggy apple friends over to suck our dicks or something
stay mad :^)
it's not like you could've just done as OP says :^)
it's not your fault little buddy, it's lenovo's :^)
our Apple® Macbook Pro™ Retina with Touchbar won't give you these troubles :^)
instead our display ribbon cable will fucking break if you open it too many times lol :^)
but that's you're fault for using the screen wrong :^)

Attached: stay mad.png (8192x8192, 703K)

oh shit, chang mad, watch out!!!11111
just don't touch his thinkpad, it will fall apart

>yes, i buy lenovo laptops, how could you tell?

Attached: len.png (980x654, 525K)

this is like watching 1911 boomers shit on glocks for using polymer
>muh plastic toys

>and here's where i keep my lenovo laptops

Attached: lenovo stash.jpg (800x599, 161K)

What kind of usage would justify that extra kick? Sorry for being a filthy consumer of endproducts.
Sent from my surface pro 2017.

Attached: IMG_20190730_140009_975.jpg (1582x1582, 691K)

>as you see, with proper care lenovo is as reliable as any other brand

Attached: ewaste2.jpg (800x533, 180K)

give me the 0.1%, faggyboi
And for the record, what ThinkPad DO you own? genuinely curious.

Polly wanna cracker?

Attached: download.jpg (310x163, 11K)

>Print Screen key just right of Alt.
Who designed this abomination

It sucks. I remapped it to menu.

Well the T60 is more of an IBM one even though Lenovo technically had acquiredf ThinkPads by then.

where can i find the T60 mainteance manual? the link on thinkwiki is dead.

Fell for the meme and bought an X220. What SSD should I put in? I'd go for a 2.5" for the speed advntage over the mSATA but I'm wondering about the brand and sub-models. Right now I'm leaning toward a Samsung 860. Should I go with the pro or EVO? Anything else I should consider?

I have a T420 (2520M, 8 GB RAM and SSD), it has heat problems and the 4200M seems to have reached it's lifespan.
I'm thinking of buying a new laptop that its equal or better than this one.

Could someone tell me some models (thinkpad or not) worth to check out on eBay?

just buy SAMSUNG EVO 860, everything else is just trash.

Wheres the best places to buy thinkpads?

I am a newbie and got my first X220. I installed arch on it and everything works fine. But I have one question regarding the trackpoint which is new for me. Is it possible to click with the trackpoint as well somehow like I can do with the touchpad? Like I said it is my first thinkpad.

I just got an x220t in the mail, and multiple distros of linux I have tried have the same problem. When plugged into AC, the mouse cursor goes crazy. (Some distros worse than others). Even with touchpad disabled and just trackpoint. Anyone encounter this issue? Fixed it? I've checked forums and have seen a few bug reports, but no fix as far as I can see.

B-bump!!

Attached: 1540458786053.jpg (1024x580, 43K)

I fixed my black-screen-after-suspend issue.
That's right, fuck you thinktard who thought I'd choke.

Thinkpads are literally the Arch of laptops when I think about it.

Attached: strike.jpg (840x544, 58K)

what anime?

can someone recommend me the N140HCE-EN1 vs the B140HAN01.*? the B140HAN01.* has more colors, but im not sure how much this matters, and its also supposed to be a bit grainy with this yellowish tint. this is for the t440p

Darling in the FranXX
do not watch, it's fucking trash, just look up cute pics of 02 and you'll get all the value it had to offer, unfortunately

Attached: 1a25BVK.jpg (2560x1440, 184K)

Jesus what did you do, put that thing through through a goddam drier? Why is it so linty?

don't talk to the damaged thinkpad sperg, he's confusing end-user mistakes with manufacturer error

Do not watch it. Don't waste your time, not even memeing.

Been a couple of years, guys. I'm curious if there is anything that should be around the $100 mark now that would be good for a kid who constantly torrents videos.
He's coming from a macbookpro (2012); is there something of slightly better specs I can upgrade him to?

100? you could get like an T400/T420. You're going to be doing some bidding, or just get lucky with a BIN on ebay. There used to be a buying guide in the OP. I don't see it now.