Wifi Extenders General

Wifi extenders are technology. What are your recomendations

Attached: images.jpg (400x400, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wire it up

Literally none.

Just get a decent AP, or get more if you don't have coverage.

"Wifi extenders" aka repeaters just make everything slower.

>Wifi extenders are technology.
Correct
>What are your recomendations
Not your personal consumer review

Fuck

W-we can r-read the reviews together...

openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s
Get some cheap routers compatible with openwrt and make a mesh, chinks sell some good stuff with 5Ghz.

Owo ty

Can someone tell me what might be the problem with my wifi? I have 3 walls between me and my router and my wifi signal is complete dogshit, while my roommates are just fine. I'm getting like 3% of the internet speeds I'm paying for like this. Never had any issues like this at previous places using the same receiver. We just upgraded the router and my one rooommate's speeds have had a substantial jump while mine are still dogshit. Not looking to dump money into something unless I know it's the cause.... Been looking at extenders, but I don't know if they're worth it

>___ are technology.

That is a spambot phrase, fyi. Don't use it, as they can actually get your thread removed and you banned.

>What are your recomendations.

If you have line-of-sight I suggest a USB dongle with 10' USB extension cord to make a wokfi. If you don't have line-of-sight and just need something for the other end of the house/building then check the electrical wiring to see if it is suitable for, "Powerline Networking." Finally, if you really just need a wifi extender then just about anything will work. The main concerns are walls or hills blocking stuff. If you can't just use a larger/directional antenna then a powered repeater device like in your image will normally suffice.

The main problem is the lack of info. How far does it need to go? What is between the two locations? Does it need to be multiple locations? etc. Good luck.

Attached: CYBERPUNK.jpg (1280x1256, 411K)

Just use a usb wifi device. That will solve 99% of your issues. A USB extension cable will help even more. That gets it away from any interference and sheilding your PC/laptop has. For shit like phones, get an external antenna if the phone supports a jack for it.

t. My Router is on the edge of my house and I don't get signal in my far bathroom, so instead of moving my router to a more centralized location in my house I'm opting to spend more money to just brute force my addiction to Candy Crush on the shitter.

You're not going to get full speed through several walls, especially not on 5GHz. Best solution is to run a wire. Also, your hardware could be to blame as well. If your AP doesn't support MIMO and/or your computer doesn't support it, you're boned regardless on speed. If either of those are true you're looking at 300Mbps max on 5GHz and around 150Mbps over 2.4GHz. Those are realistic maximums if your computer was right by your AP. Since you're going through walls, it will be substantially lower. On Android you can view link speed in wifi settings, and on windows you can go to adapters, right click, status to view link speed.

My new apartment doesn't have Ethernet only coax can I still get WiFi if I get a modem like this?

Attached: e60bx093014-actiontec-verizon-fios-wireless-broadband-router-w-2-antennas-mi424wr-rev-i-2.jpg (1280x560, 141K)

you need only an ethernet cable nothing else. connect to LAN 1 and you're done

I have a usb wifi device. This was a cheap 30$ adapter though.

bruh, I'm like 20 feet from the router and all I can pull is ~5mbps on my pc. My cellphone pulls 50 mgbps and I don't understand why.

Do you have a USB extension cable to go with it?

Are you talking about something that plugs into my initial router in order to extend range? I was talking about my wifi receiver plugged into my pc. I don't have any usb cables to connect it to.

just for reference I pay for 150 mb/s internet connection. So we're not dealing with a minor drop in performance, I could deal with that. This is an insane drop in performance.

I do not

One of these. Max 10' long. I found that they allow the USB wifi device to be positioned all over the place for best reception. That gets it over stuff like a metal filing cabnet or closer to a window, etc. It plugs into your PC/laptop on one end and the USB wifi device on the other end. If you add a dish to the setup you can make a directional "wokfi" which is fucking amazing.

Attached: rBVaJFnKd_qAAWUPAABoLkiYOOE664.jpg (805x712, 32K)

wifi repeaters are pretty trash and, at best, you get half the speeds you would get from the main router, simply because the repeater has to communicate both ways, to the PC and to the main router, halving its bandwidth to each. There are also other problems, like the repeater being its own hotspot, so if you walk between areas of the house you'll need to manually switch from one to the other.

It's better to just look for more-powerful routers capable of covering your necessary space. Or look into mesh networks. Whatever is best for your particular situation.

Do any of you use powerline adapters? I heard they have gotten a lot better and am looking for a connection that's more stable than wifi

Yeah, I've been trying to avoid extra wiring, though. I would have taken that approach months ago if I was confident my roommates would trip over and rip out the wires. If I lived here alone the router would be right next to my pc, but you have to consider the human factor. It's really not a big deal to me, but I'm genuinely curious why my connection has remained dogshit after the router upgrade while my roommate experienced substantial upgrades when both our computers are similarly spaced from the router

Which one can extend a WEP-Enterprise signal?

Well, for wifi stuff, like the USB extension cable, you string them up instead of down on the floor. The higher your antenna or wifi device the better it will connect.

fair, enough. thanks, user

Bought pic related, less than 30$ and does the job.

Attached: IMG_20190803_174719_compress36.jpg (2000x1500, 168K)

Bought a £25 extender to give my kids next door access so they can save on the bill. Went to test it. Exact same speed than me on the WiFi in my home. It’s a Logitech.

Cat5 cable
AKA WiFi cable (saw it at the library)

I had one of those. Between a week and a month, it would need to be rebooted because the damn thing would crash. Knew NETGEAR was a mistake.

Set it up in the right location and make a mesh.
Imma get a bunch of cheap dual band ones

Instead of buying a repeater, why not buy a powerline adapter?
Devolo makes powerline adapters using proprietary tech that goes over the ground wire meaning you can use them in any kind of house. They're like 40% more expensive than TP-Link but people say they are rock solid.

We had a problem in our house, for whatever reason the guy installed the router downstairs and all the heating ducts must've blocked the signal bad. Moved it upstairs and got way better signal even though it was twice as far away.
Just threw out a repeater that never worked right and bought another from Aldi it works alright but it is slower as the other anons pointed out