Hi everyone. I'm getting exhausted and desperate. I've been developing a new social network for more than 4 years now...

Hi everyone. I'm getting exhausted and desperate. I've been developing a new social network for more than 4 years now. I'll be a junior in college next semester and my social network might only be done in a year, only for web and with a lot of restrictions. Also working alone is super depressing. I have 6000$ I can use and an additional 700$ each month. I've calculated the costs of hiring 3 students for 4 hours a week for 15$ an hour, I'll lose money and things won't progress nearly fast enough. I could still do it, but it might be very slow. I also tried to partner up, but the lack of payments make them so unmotivated that they become a burden.

I don't mind answering any relevant questions.

Any idea what I should do? Thanks in advance.

Attached: ShareOn-comments1-1.jpg (1920x1840, 968K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/ZW4rKx
github.com/alexblattner/ShareOn
github.com/alexblattner/ShareOn/commit/02edb3fd0535d5928de73d83e98021edc87df0e5
shareon.me/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looks like shit stupid queer

post link to current version

Skate where the puck is going to be, not where it was

>upvotes
>downvotes
Fuck off reddit using faggot

$15 an hour ?

Attached: pajeet-support.jpg (250x250, 45K)

Hire a pajeet codeslave.

is this a hobby project?

or are you seriously trying to compete with facebook and such

what makes this better than other social networks

why should people use this over facebook?

'why should people use this over facebook'
i'd rather use console-only IRC than facebook my sides

>why should people use this over facebook?
It has le upvotes, it’s Facebook but for us redditors :D

anyway, that actually looks pretty good except for the name which just isnt that good imo

>Any idea what I should do?
don't doxx yourself on 4chins

I get your frustration. I had tried getting former friends to develop a modular software developing gig to put on our resumes but all of them insisted on being paid full on $70K+ from the start. It wasn't until after I ditched them, developed the stuff on my own to lease them to my school, and humble bragged about the partnerships and money I was getting that these "friends" realize what they were missing out on.

Have you considered open source? Since you're having trouble at the local level you might have better chances online. Mastadon did something like this iirc.

However, your best bets are to either find some oddballs who like the entrepreneurial sacrifice, or, even better, establish a MVP on your own as a proof of concept to attract help, and go from there.

the design looks schizophrenic and the controls are stupid enough that they could be cause of a nuclear accident. Sorry mate, but the market is oversaturated at this point and a sub-par idea is unlikely to succeed.

it honestly looks like shit and i bet nothing works yet after 4 years of development kek

>social network
kill yourself

Only on my localhost, sorry...

You'll be able to have groups with those disabled. The upvotes and downvotes are useful tools to see what content is appreciated on the platform. I do use reddit but I agree that upvotes and downvotes are a negative aspect of the website along with bad moding.

It's close by, provides higher than minimum wage (in most states) and also experience

Not close by to interact with them. The language barrier is also a problem.

Facebook is shit and most people want it gone. There are many reasons for that.

I know this might seem like a lie, but my name isn't Alex Martin

I never tried open source, but my project needs all details planned for good reasons. Also, what's MVP?

Thanks.

I paid a designer for that... I'm not good at aesthetics, but the controls were my idea. I want to have all things in order and harmony.

A lot doesn't work. But a lot does. There's also a lot that works but cannot be accessed at all

they simply didn't believe in your enterprise. no sane person would make an entrepreneurial sacrifice if he doesn't believe in the idea behind it.

>it doesn't work yet
wow
"4 years" of development
i'm impressed
i didn't expect a fully featured app or something but after 4 years i expect at least something usable

and now you want to hire some students for minimum wage because you're simply a shit coder...
very impressed

>facebook is shit
tell that to the billion 2.4 billion userbase
people on reddit and Jow Forums might hate on facebook but most normans dont give a fuck about privacy shit or whatever they love their facebook shit

protip dont spend much money on this project its jjust throwing money away unless u really enjoy it

Get rid of all this shit and add something unique. It looks more bloated than a windows 10 start menu. Fucking slide bar searches? Dude, no one is ever going to use that shit.

Attached: 1564847543950.jpg (1920x1840, 582K)

write a non shitty irc client instead

>I do use reddit
Kill yourself

>I've been developing a new social network
Eat a bullet cunt

>I paid a designer for that...

Sorry mate, you got bamboozled.

Aside from the companies themselves, how are discord and slack shitty irc clients? They seem pretty solid, just shit companies behind them

MVP is minimum viable product. It's the "bare bones" version of your product that has all of the unique features necessary to get the ball rolling

write a better Jow Forums (should be easy)

Impossible to make a better 4 chan.

>sophomore in college
>my life is so bad

Attached: 1535444313523.jpg (1136x640, 57K)

I had the design of the thing changed twice. The first time because it was my own, the second because she wasn't enough of an expert apparently. Redesign everything on your own is very hard especially if you do other things too. Don't underestimate the front end.

My thing can post content with various settings (anonymous or not, tagging posts, tagging people, tagging topics). Implement any content types I want. Filter content based on many criteria. Search for people, add people as friends, follow people. You can like, dislike and comment on content. You can add contents in collections. And other things I forgot.

I started this project when I was a newbie and learned as I worked.

There is no slide bar search... what was displayed was for making it simpler to implement in my website. I need to see the shit I implement. The search bar on top is on the overwhelming majority of social networks.

I'm bad at design it seems then. What's bad about it exactly?

People use Facebook because everyone is. Also the design is simple.

I'll try my best to save as much as I can, but I'll do all in my power to make my thing succeed because I think there is potential.

How am I supposed to see Hearthstone card reveals otherwise?

I did last month. I only let close friends access it. The thing didn't go well because I didn't put notifications in it yet and I had a previous design that felt old according to some of them. Might retry as soon as I improve both of those things.

Eventually you could have a better Jow Forums inside my thing

Reading comprehension skills: 0

why would normie#345632 use this

>How am I supposed to see Hearthstone card reveals otherwise?
Video games are for children, underage windows using faggot

Ur gay

4 years for this shit?
this 2 days work max

OP is just a shitty programmer. like all self taught programmers.

this thread is bait right? you could shit out a full facebook clone if you crunched for a month, but also it wouldn't ultimately matter because no one will use it either way

I also have an idea of making a minimal but very robust internet forum. I know for a fact millions would visit the site and i could destroy Jow Forums easily. But i would need at least 100k to run such operation. If not more. Money holds me back.

>100k to rebuild Jow Forums
what are you smoking?

>underage widows

my favorite fetish

>What is traffic
>What are server costs
>What is bandwidth costs

Moot or who ever runs this website said they can't pay for server costs at one point.

I'd suggest make simple video platform.
The keyword is simpl. Youtube is hot garbo and we need replacement without shitty gimmick.

Easier said than done. I program all little parts. No bootstrap, no wordpress. Good luck idiot.

You wouldn't have a lot of users from the start... you'll get ad revenue at that point too. But I do agree with you that the server costs are a bitch... mine was 9k for a month with 10 users

You have that in my thing too. Unironically. It can be any platform you want.

No just no.
Just be good at one thing.

dude users won't come over night and once you have enough users money won't be a problem any longer
you can totally ignore traffic and server costs in the beginning - 100k isn't reasonable for a Jow Forums-rebuild

>Easier said than done. I program all little parts. No bootstrap, no wordpress. Good luck idiot.
that "idiot" is actually right though.

9K month for just 10 users?!?

Wtf?

> People use Facebook because everyone is. Also the design is simple.

> I'll try my best to save as much as I can, but I'll do all in my power to make my thing succeed because I think there is potential.
You didn't really explain its potential though. Don't really see why you would replace Facebook and even if you wanted to, plenty of alternatives already exist : WhatsApp, WeChat, MySpace, even Reddit looks a lot like your thing.
It won't work if you don't add something new to the social media concept, maybe high secure features, a target audience (young/old persons, French speakers, ...) for exemple.

Ok I will help you, when do I start?

My thing can be anything. I know it sounds like a terrible idea, but why have many different platforms that just display one type of content when you can have it all in the same and just filter everything in 3 clicks, literally.

Another one right here. I want to see you try to have it all in 2 days and make it look good. No bootstrap or wordpress. Go ahead.

Yep. AWS is crazy expensive for very little.

I didn't make this thread to explain my thing... but I'll explain it anyway.

All social networks today are basically the same with small tweaks and changes. Instagram is Facebook but only with pictures and videos. The difference between Jow Forums and reddit is that Jow Forums's design is crap and only has few topics (also no upvotes and you can reply to many people at once and you're anonymous which makes it great). Those differences can be made in my thing in a few clicks. Also, when there's a new trendy social network like Tik Tok or vine I can just implement it as another post type, in fact any third party developers can program their own post types in my thing. What I provide is the ultimate experience for social media complainers like you guys. Don't like something? Just change it yourself or create it in a few clicks. That's all.

Not sure if you're serious or not. But how can I contact you?

Which tools did you use to build this and on what OS?
Please reply, thanks!

I made the decisions when I didn't know enough so don't laugh... I'm using php, arangodb, the usual web stuff and jquery. For the operating system, I used to have my website running on linux that a guy I paid set up for me, but now it's gone. All I have is xampp on my computer and that's it.

No worries mate :D
I am just a web developer like you am currently building something similar to yours but I don't know Advanced Linux and Server related stuff.

If you want to chat, give me a way so we could do so. There's a limit to how many times you can reply on Jow Forums... you can always block me afterwards.

>social network
Why nigga? WHY? Make an asocial networkless site.

I'll make the logo

why block? The more, the merrier!
We can chat on Reddit!
Here's my User Name: SingleActivity

op you've dun goofed.
You spent 4 years building something that should have taken you 1 years tops.
And its a facebook clone.
google+ couldn't compete with facebook and you think you can.
And what's worst is that you sold out... man

So... you've created a version of Facebook/Insta that lets you start threads like Reddit and be anonymous like Jow Forums? I still really don't see what your selling point is over any other social media platform.

>What I provide is the ultimate experience for social media complainers like you guys.
Ok, but most 4channers (especially Jow Forumsentoomen) won't use a new social media platform anyway, outside of for trolling, and most normies don't care about customizing the UI to ridiculous extremes.

>any third party developers can program their own post types in my thing
So you have an API? Mind posting some of the docs?

A couple other things:
>What's your advertising strategy?
>How do you plan to scale this if it takes off? AWS?
>Do you have an app? Or is this web only?

not op, but you can't rely just on advertising now.
more people are using adblockers and are concerned about privacy.

>Another one right here. I want to see you try to have it all in 2 days and make it look good. No bootstrap or wordpress. Go ahead.
i already wrote more complex applications than yours (i create applications for fortune 500 corporations) and i can assure you that the guy you were talking to is right (he didn't say two days - he said he could do it alone in a month and he is right about that).
i see that you're really confident in your social media platform so maybe i could help you out with some advice (not going to actually build anything for you because i'm too busy with stuff that actually makes money).
do you have a core feature list? how many of those core features did you implement? what is your site supposed to do anyway? in other words: tell us what your site is about in detail. (nobody is going to steal your idea - that's a thing that rarely happens. so don't be worried. it's always a good thing to discuss business ideas openly to see what's shit and what's good)
also: what programming languages do you know?

My reddit username is alexblattner. I hope I won't regret my decision...

go back

discord.gg/ZW4rKx Message me here

So he'll data mine for money then? Data mining takes capable data scientists and OP doesn't seem to have much money for that.

You already posted your actual name in the first screenshots, under the posts. You can't doxx yourself any more than you already have.

>You already posted your actual name in the first screenshots, under the posts. You can't doxx yourself any more than you already have.
based

for anyone who's interested - here is his project.
github.com/alexblattner/ShareOn

(i'm not doxxing him mods - he already doxxed himself in his very first post. a simple q00qle search revealed his repo)

Ads will be based on topics and appear on posts. I will make sure my ads aren't blocked by making the service myself.

I am only providing tools to the users. I hope my hunches and the many people I talked to gave me the right hindsight for that.

There will be a development interface and data is stored on json files basically. Also, you have your own folder where you'll be able to put files in. That part is only partially developed so nothing to show off yet...

All I have is a web app for now and when I'm ready I'll probably scale it with aws...

He did say 2 days though. I'm pretty slow, not going to lie and also, I know there's better people than me but that guy was a dick. I posted my reddit username here somewhere if you want to talk. I don't mind, you seem like a nice guy. alexblattner

My last name isn't Martin...

Fuck you dude. That's a dick move.

Seriously though, this guy has his twitter, facebook, insta, hearthpwn, and github all under his actual name. No web handle or anything. And then he posts his name here? That's just asking to be doxxed.

I see I'm not the only one who found it. The README is rather lulzy.

Also, what's stopping us from all piling in the discord?

>Also, what's stopping us from all piling in the discord?
honor?
i'm not really impressed by his site though. seems to be some sort of hobby side project he worked on when the spirit moved him.

Which is why all of the posts in the screenshot are under the name Alex Blattner. Don't make me show you where in your own screenshot.

And it really isn't a dick move by that user, if you were stupid enough to share it here. It's a step further than I would have gone, but it's not unsuprising.

>honor
>on Jow Forums

I concurs about the hobby project part though.

Do you not know how discord works new friend?

I usually only use FOSS software, cause I took the Stallman pill years ago. To my knowledge, Discord is non of those things.

He didn’t share anything that you didn’t already share, don’t worry I will help you with your project, I will message you on github tomorrow.

Yep... I make dumb decisions.

You're encouraging everyone though. Personally I don't care you know who I am. That's why I made my choice. Why would you waste your time and do this though?

Anyway. I know you guys will just forget about me eventually. I'm just a random guy with a project.

You are blessed and I wish I could walk the same path as you.

>'m just a random guy with a project
true

Don’t worry user nothing bad will happen, it’s al public stuff anyway.

>this entire thread

Attached: patrick bait.gif (400x280, 1.24M)

This. It's not as if anyone here will really do anything horrible. We're just fucking with you because it's fun and you're naive.

Being in academia, where lots of people are autistic about this kind of shit, makes it loads easier.

I wish I was high functioning autistic

Attached: B37F0F18-1C07-4E59-B54C-9ABADF48C90A.png (1092x1037, 27K)

Reminds me of 2007 Jow Forums

>github.com/alexblattner/ShareOn/commit/02edb3fd0535d5928de73d83e98021edc87df0e5
bait thread

This guy is the Winklevoss twins

Who wants to be Zuckerberg?

because he deleted his readme.md? kek

is this your domain OP?
shareon.me/

did you actually have a running version? :^)

why did you delete?

Attached: Untitled.png (1232x876, 91K)

i'm not OP. but i'm pretty sure his site was online on shareon.me/

>I wish I was high functioning autistic
It's pretty based.

This thread makes me miss browsing late 2000's Jow Forums as underage b&. Now it's all so tiresome.

2 years of commit history is a lot of setup for some bait.

good to know thanks!

Is Jow Forums actually going to incubate a social media startup?

hell yeah!
We Jow Forumsentoomen will create an alternative to FANG universe!

I've thought about a peer to peer social media program. That'd be more interesting.
Although I think there is already one.

Why come here then?

Mastodon sort of does this through its federations. I can imagine that condensing it even further to peer to peer would be quite nifty security-wise.

It will be more interesting if adopts IPFS

why not?

>Don't forget, you're here forever.

>I've been developing a social network

Will literally never take off. Doesn't matter how superior it is to everything else. Network effects make that a certainty.