What will Jow Forums do once it's illegal to use old ThinkPads or other hardware past a reasonable time period?

What will Jow Forums do once it's illegal to use old ThinkPads or other hardware past a reasonable time period?

Attached: typical gentooman going to prison for his thinkpad collection.jpg (804x485, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-copyright-20180426-story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wxxhuzjT9aM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you honestly think people follow laws?

soure?

Looks like this article:
latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-copyright-20180426-story.html

Let me guess. He was doing some shady shit soldering semi-compatible components together resulting in chemical leaks and electrical dangers.

no he was just selling illegal copies of windows

Microsoft being shitcunts as usual.

Attached: 2019-08-03_212715.png (999x2769, 1M)

Not even that, he was selling freely available software burned onto discs

>sells OSs and Software made by other companies
>gets prison time
>b-b-but it was the CONVENIENCE of it!!!
Nigger absolutely btfo

Attached: 1563139121617.png (500x913, 230K)

He is a true fedora

>download freely available software from microsofts website
>burn it onto discs
>hand them out for free
>15 months
i hope you die, haha!

i hope your cattle overlords pile up your bodies like garbage on the streets...that should wipe off that laugh from your meme pepe image.
you wont be posting anymore soon.

>redistribute proprietary shit
And nothing of value was lost.

>i-i-i-i-i respect intellectual p-property!!
lmao youll be the first to go, shlomo

I remember this, dudes dumb for selling them when he could have gave them away with the computers. What did he think was going to happen.

he was very dumb but jail time is an extreme punishment for trying to sell some counterfeit restore discs

>downloads software from M$
>manufactures clone disks in china
>sell disks for a profit

He deserves being punished for helping Microsoft out.

yeah but boomers think stuff like piracy and software counterfeit are actual huge problems. he kinda screwed himself

cringe

He should have used Loonix

Attached: 1564711241953.png (1126x1350, 1.75M)

read the eula, retard. he got what was coming to him for using proprietary shit.

He was selling them.

no

>I don't think anybody in the courtroom understood what a restore disk is
he made OS DVD's for boomers, then boomers sent him to prison

I read this article because Jow Forums didn't

The ruling was that the disks were worth 25$ a piece despite the contents being freely available, because the people hearing the case were technically illiterate and probably couldn't follow the cross examination of an expert witness. They didn't understand the disks lacked a license and could only be used with an existing one. The value racked up to over $700,000 for all the disks, AKA "lost sales".

He was selling the disks for 25 cents a piece, but this is irrelevant. He still would've gotten the gavel for vanishing the imaginary $700,000 even if they were free.

based boomers

Keep using them
Fuck stupid laws.

Distributing microsoft software should get you death penalty
Pirating MS software should be 40 years in prison

Attached: 1552482937402.jpg (640x427, 32K)

IIRC he didn't burn them, he had them pressed, which made them qualify as actual counterfeits
Then he didn't give them out for free, he sold them for pennies

Basato

Shut the fuck up boomer

>implying those companies aren't inexorably linked to the government
nice try statist

>going to jail because you put demo software on disks
the absolute fucking state

Yes but because you're so dumb to realize there are much better alternatives, and free.

>hand them out for free
No, he was selling them. He was selling software that's available for free on the internet.
Even GNU man will tell you he was asking to go to jail.

>my company pirates something like 600 Windows 7 and 10 licenses
>I tell them I'm not really comfortable with it
>Submit a purchase order for two legit copies of each for a project
>Got fired and walked out the door two days later
T-thanks

sorry but that retard should be installing linux on those machines. hes a fucking moron

gee if only there were a free and open source operating system that ran well on recycled computers hurr durr

They saved you the trouble if an audit happens eventually.

>OP unironiclly thinks his door is gonna get busted down for using an out of date thinkpad

I wouldn't be legally responsible regardless, but I've already reported them to one of those anti-piracy industry bodies because fuck them.

How do I protect myself in court from technical illiterate boomers? Do I hire a tech lawer or something?

IANAL and I think it's enforceable on software because of the EULA but hardware so far doesn't come with an EULA.
Microsoft will pull an adobe too when Windows become a subscription service.

Attached: D6ORmzZXsAARXyU.png (922x971, 86K)

Should have just sued them yourself

kek

There's linux...but wait that's free...i am out of ideas

Almost.
The software is free for people with licenses, but not free for OEMs.
He was practically being an OEM, but taking advantage of the software being freely available for license holders to get and create copies of the software to distribute.

>using microsoft
>thinks hes tech literate

>download freely available iso direct from Microsoft's own webpage
>Burn as is, no cracks or mods
>"Sell" literally for the cost of the cd because 99% of people on the planet can barely breathe and blink at the same time, let alone download and install an operating system like your 13 year old grandson whose just so good at computers he should work for google
>Go to jail because (((they))) lost as much money as Jews died in the Holocaust
When are we going to unfuck this world again? It's getting kinda old.

>break the ToS
>suffer the consequences

China doesn't have this problem

15 months in jail? that is really harsh
it's almost as if micro&soft was in bed with the jewdges

Use it anyway

That price was for the full license.
> the letter and the expert were pricing a disc that came with a Microsoft license
So a Windows 10 license costs 25 dollars to OEM.

He was selling them at 25 cents, if you actually think that's a profit after buying and distributing the discs then you're a retard.

More like break the ToS, suffer the consequences of the "law" favoring corporations.

yes, actually. That would've prevented his prison time. Read the article, dumb shit.

>Wow, this government sanctioned monopoly is totally different than the government!
youtube.com/watch?v=wxxhuzjT9aM
this

>distribute shareware
>be put in jail
welcome to 209

Even if they weren't, the ultimate goal of every business is statehood, businesses are indistinguishable from governments.

Governments are answerable to the voter and businesses are (ideally) answerable to the consumers.

The difference is that in a business there is no delusion that all consumers are created equal.

Money is little more than an abstraction of power, and the desire for wealth is equitable to the desire for power.
Ergo, the ultimate goal of every business, profit, sourced from the consumer, is equal to the power, derived from the populous.
However, inefficiency is inherent to abstraction, and thus becoming a state is more efficient than remaining a business.

For examples, see the East India company, which from 1757 to 1858 was the government of India.

>wealth is equitable to the desire for power.
No it isn't, you fucking commie bastard. Wealth is equatable to the ABILITY to amount power (with some cursory noise generated from historical factors and the human affectation of giving property to ones they know rather than ones who earn it).

The mere desire for power is nothing, which is why the politicians' ambition who coerces the masses who harmonize with his blind ambition, leads him to power in a crooked stage. But in a Fair market, he is worthless, yet the corporations shine.

Money is primarily used for and directly convertible to things which ensure survival, and power comes from the manipulation of survival instinct.
The randian view of power, which is that it is derived from violence and the threat of violence, is shortsighted and simply stupid, and fails to explain most of the concepts which underpin society.
Money is an abstraction of power.

>No it isn't, you fucking commie bastard.
Cute, but no.
Not everyone who sees corporatocracy for what it is a communist.
In fact, corporatism is probably closest to what I actually believe.

>Money is primarily used for and directly convertible to things which ensure survival
Yeah, man. I sure need this $15 bottle of wine, this $500 phone with a $50 a month plan and this $3000 computer to survive. There's no way I could live any short of having this $400 armoire and this $50 hair-cut.

Just listen to yourself, buddy. None of this is about survival. It's about LIVING. Hell, survival is, if anything, counter to that.

>luxury exists so ur wrong
Biology cannot cope with excess because excess is not natural.
Scarcity is.
Almost any animal will gorge itself to death given the chance.
Sugars in nature are rare, so humans have a sweet tooth.
The motivation behind things like gambling, buying expensive things to show off, etc. are about triggering some neurochemical release, typically dopamine.

Power is the manipulation of survival instinct.
Money is used to satisfy survival instincts.
Controlling the flow of money is power.
How do you not understand?

this is what you get for trying to use windows

oy cunt, ye got a loicence for that machine of ye?

he made 28,000 pressed OEM windows discs and planned to sell them (at cost, at least) to refurbishing shops
microsoft sells OEM discs for $25
yes, the discs only contained unlicenced, "free" software, but he didn't have the right to distribute it like that
just because something is freely-accessible, doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you want with it, including redistribution

>install linux
>sudo apt-get upgrade
>install linux

(ps. while i agree he wasn't in the clear, the sentence is too much, and i think it's dumb he got anything at all, but i at least understand why he was hit with something)

ATTENTION KIKES
YOU ARE NEVER EVER GETTING MY THINKPADS. I WILL RESTORE THEM MYSELF EVERY TIME. I WILL NEVER BUY YOUR KEKTOPS EVER.

Install manjaro

that's the joke

BASED

go hang yourself, you human shaped piece of shit-smeared garbage.

>What you in here for white boi?
>I...I sold proprietary software
>Mfw

Attached: tenor (3).gif (220x391, 741K)

I actully encourage this, it would only speed up the free-software worlds development.

try that and you gon get your wig split boi

>resell Drinks in the summer that I pick up from a cash 'n' carry and buy in bulk
>make good profits in times of heat waves etc
>this nigga takes it one step further and literally has no "buy in" investment and is selling what should be free shit

Got what he deserved DESU

you sound pretty mad vro.....

Freedom with american characteristics.

This guy is right.

lol it wasn't even that, he was distributing msdn ISOs of win installers on illegally labeled DVDs. They weren't even activated copies with cracks or janked serials, just standard 30-day installs.

why are americans such greedy retards?
fucking hell

The EULA isnt law retard.

Jails are instrument of control. They are filled with criminals who will never become proper people so actual normal people, who may get in jail only for digital piracy or other "crimes" with no victim in sight, will be scared to spend years of their life side to side with actual murderers, maniacs and thieves.

FIXERS UNITE!!! SUPPORT THRIFT ELECTRONICS!!!

r e n t
f
r
e
e

>be American
>start a business
>go to prison
land of the fee

>An EULA is a legal contract between the manufacturer and/or the author and the end user of an application.
he broke the contract thus breaking the law
retard

no it would not:
he was fucked for the label printed on the disks, not the content that was on them (which is perfectly legal)

the printed label constituted coyright/trademark infringement, even if they contained linux instead of windows installers

>selling software
he was selling the physical plastic.
25 cents

>tenor
kys

> (3)
immediately

Baste fuck shitpads and fuck /tpg/

Attached: tuxedo pepe.png (1000x1000, 120K)

Breaking a contract is a tort, not a crime. Otherwise I could sneak into my 1000 page EULA that if your name is John, you owe me $10000000.

He deserved it for allowing people to use Windows.

This man does not belong in a jail. What the fuck is wrong with US judges?

maybe try reading the article