People STILL using Office 2003

pcworld.com/article/3407759/5-ancient-software-programs-we-refuse-to-give-up.html

So, what legacy software do YOU still use, Jow Forums?

Attached: 0f206d11a0fe7de8816fe430e0ff796a-imagejpeg.jpg (784x510, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/72083056#p72096866
freora.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=license_result&gid=3&bid=3&Itemid=52
archive.org/details/OFFICE97PRO
gofile.io/?c=Lj8W2o
github.com/otya128/winevdm
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/excel/concepts/programming-for-the-single-document-interface-in-excel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not counting my old systems that all run software actually contemporary to them, I use all kinds of smaller tools that are rarely updated since they were pretty much finished in the mid 2000s.

Would CS6 count? Thats probably the oldest software I use

Office 2010 (peak Aero soul)

Office 2003 still runs natively on Windows 10.

Office 2003 with cat assistant

CS6 is 2012 so debatable but might as well be

WinRAR

last i recall office 2013 and up don't have cleartype

uTorrent 2.2.1

Adobe CS5.5 because I bought a license at a decent student discount and fuck the cloud subscription thing.

I work at an MSP that gets a lot of business from Boomers - this guy comes in with an old Vaio laptop and tells me to reinstall Windows 7 and Office 2003. Office was fine, I used Produkey to pull the key from the registry. It pulled the wrong Windows 7 key though? I ended up using the OEM key I found on a sticker. Also fuck Vaio drivers. Annoying as fuck to get manually.

office 2007
they are all the same for most people

Windows vista and software of the vista era

Yeah. Its a windows program.

Windows NT Kernel

I still use it as well, along with the compatibility pack for docx and the rest.

>software as a service
no thanx

office 07, exchange server 07, adobe photoshop 5.5, win server 2003, adobe cs6 (If you consider it old), Photodraw 2000, some sql server shit from 2003

Is there any real difference between the earlier versions of Office (specifically excel and word) and 2019 versions?

It's honestly distressing that there are people on Jow Forums that don't understand that, after a certain point, some software has simply reached the functionality that it should and should be left as is. And yes, word processing is for sure in that realm. The only updates after Office 2003 should have been things like security and compatibility updates totaling a couple of megabytes over 16 years.

You see people freaking out when people point out that your average Linux distro can't run Linux software from 5 years ago much of the time.

2019 is all cloud based and has a retarded ui compared to the earlier 03,07,10 versions

MS Paint (XP)

MGI photosuite 8.06
(Does the job easily for minor stuff and faster than Photoshop, I know it's a shitty software but I'm used to it)

The old Microsoft calculator from system 32, I don't like the win10 one

Windows 7

Linux.

XP and 2003 were so comfy.

>People this surprised companies use ancient software because it just works and there's no changes to their work environment
Is this board full of arch users or something?

Your mom still operates natively on my dick.

>You see people freaking out when people point out that your average Linux distro can't run Linux software from 5 years ago much of the time.

dude just recompile old version lmao

I don't know about 2019, but I bought the 2016 office pro suite for $10 and it's offline.

Uncle used to use 1-2-3 til around last year. He finally gave it up since his worksheets became too big and now switched to excel. Also, we're still using an old software written on FoxPro 2.5 for our business via DosBox.

I'm still using office 97

>what legacy software do YOU still use
Microsoft Windows

my oldest software may be kx project drivers for soundblasters

utorrent? old visual c++ installs? folding at home? winrar? 7zip? virtualdub even? hexchat?

Don't most of these have modern releases?

It's not legacy if they it's not depreciated and still works on current machines.

Office has modern releases and works on Office 2003 works in Windows 10.

This
>no ads in the program itself (there's that stupid one which occasionally crashes installer)
>no bloat
>just werks

Office 2013

Winamp
Utorent 221

Exactly this. Still running a lot of old software as updates to it have changed functionality undesirably without any need to; most likely out of a need to brand something as "new" to sell more copies.

UI is atrocious.

The earliest GIMP version that has rule of thirds as a guide in the rectangle select window

Photofiltre.exe because it's so fucking lightweight

>People STILL using Office 2003
so? it still works
what do you use office for that 2003 can't do?

Office for NT 4.2 does as well. At least the Word and Excel part, since they are 32bit. Sadly, Powerpoint is only 16bit, so it won't run natively.

>ribbon
no thanks

Micrografx Picture Publisher

Photoshop CS5.
uTorrent
Visual C++ 2010 (I just changed the compiler executable and SDK so I get the C++17 goodness)
Photofiltre
GSpot
etc...

Attached: 1502669699723.png (736x722, 212K)

I still use office 2007 and just recently found out that Microsoft no longer sells office licence and just sell them like subscription called office 360.
Fuck that 2007 is perfect and I don't want to download some kspico script or some shit to get latest office.

winamp

Windows 98SE. On my main rig, on the metal.

Attached: 1564419195211.png (1152x864, 229K)

Pirate or pay for the patches to make 4GB ram and multi-TB HD work?

you tried.
warosu.org/g/thread/72083056#p72096866

I got a RAM patch here for free: freora.de/index.php?option=com_docman&task=license_result&gid=3&bid=3&Itemid=52
There is a side effect to it however - this is a patch for a German version, so all my blue screens are now in German.
It's installed onto a CF card plugged into an IDE-CF adapter, which is plugged into a PCI IDE controller which, in turn, is plugged into PCI-PCIe converter, which is then plugged into MB. Onboard SATA controller doesn't support IDE mode, that's why I had to set thing up in such a roundabout way.
It just werks.
I know, it's my screenshot. Here's another one I just made.

Attached: Безымянный2.png (1152x864, 166K)

Why would anyone upgrade their office productivity suite if the old version works fine and still provides everything they need?

old bad, new good

Office 2003 just works, letters don't look different when printed in Office 2019.

All they did is change all the menus to make shit cryptic so you have to relearn every shortcut. If you're just typing documents, Office 97 is good enough already.

Has there even been significant feature editions between Word 2003 and 2016?

I guess .docx probably supports more functionality but would most people even notice?

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

And that's why we today still use horses for travel and swords for weapons.

false equivalence

>no software is perfect. there are very likely still security vulnerabilities in these older versions of utorrent

Weasel statement. That statement indicates that the writer does not know of any security vulnerabilities. The writer even flip-flops this at least once, thus lying about something he already stated as fact. That one statement alone invalidates that entire blog post.

It's not though.

More templates which most people don't use, more practical, easier to use tools, which most people don't use anyway, there's just power users bitching about how it changes with every version, integration of various media, whether files, audio, or integrated web pages, which most people don't use...

For the serious word typist, there's zero evolution. The the occasional user, it's a bit more convenient, but all in all, it doesn't make a difference.

I wouldn't use Libre/OpenOffice either because it's such a turd, it's as if you wanted to copy MS Office but fucked up every feature, which doesn't make much difference for most people, except power users who can describe each and every one of them as deeply broken.

Office 2003 or before seems the perfect compromise.

swords are still good weapons, nothing changed in that regard.

Sure. You go fight a modern war with a sword. Sure you will get far.

Windows, sometimes.

Was recently trying to find a client that I could load ~40k torrents at once (archiving many of the torrents from ex) and every modern client failed after 5k.
Of all fucking clients, old ass uTorrent 2.2.1 is the only one that can do it. UI hangs every now and then but otherwise works fine and only uses about 700MB of ram doing so.
Since I can't really trust that many connections with a known vulnerable software, I do run the entire thing in a VM+OSArmor.

>adobe photoshop 5.5,
IMO the first version of Photoshop actually worth using. Its fairly feature complete, most image alteration features added after this more speed up the process and make you more efficient rather then doing new/different things. I still sit on CS5 which now is ~10 years old since I can't tell the difference from it and the latest creative cloud 2019.

>Winamp
based *sip*

Still using Office 2003 on Windows 10, extremely fast and lightweight, 2007 was already bloated and much slower.

Ife found that 2013 is way faster than 2010

I am fed up with Office 365, 2019, 2016. 2013 was still good for me. Now you are making me hot for 2003 like it was some sort of ThinkPad. Where would I download Office 2003?

365 is sub based, year versions are a normal volume license

Not sure, but 97 is on archive.org

I'm sure you can find it with a 2 minute internet search.

Come home white man

archive.org/details/OFFICE97PRO

Attached: word97.jpg (1043x697, 67K)

2003 >>> 2007

FUCK RIBBONS AND FUCK JANNIES

whats the point?
if its just aesthetic, libreoffice looks exactly like it

>libreoffice looks exactly like it
I wish I could throw away my eye for detail and live life in ignorance like you. Life would be so much easier. *sigh*

Attached: 1555731958097.jpg (2322x4128, 1.79M)

Attached: office_forNT4.2.png (1920x1080, 324K)

...Are you serious? I can't tell if you're "pretending" or actually completely miss the point.

Office 2007, can't be bothered to convert the .***x files to .*** files everytime like Office 2003 needs.

windirstat

Attached: 1554313348094.png (378x286, 212K)

x86_64

Attached: Untitled.png (1440x873, 118K)

You need to replace your tray icons. Those flat white shits are so fucking ugly.

gofile.io/?c=Lj8W2o
This used to be available from Microsoft's website until earlier this year. It makes Office 2000 and 2003 compatible with .???x filetypes.

How? Is it running in DOSBox, or are ou on a 32bit OS?

It's a hacked NTVDM running on 64-bit Windows

github.com/otya128/winevdm

Attached: Untitled.png (1440x873, 166K)

WineVDM really is some black magic.
Everything I've thrown at it works.

It also unofficially works on Office 97 too

modern ms office has two good things: onedrive integration and export to pdf

A big one, as far as implications when writing VBA code for Excel is concerned, is the Single Document Interface introduced in Excel 2013 up to the present:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/excel/concepts/programming-for-the-single-document-interface-in-excel

Attached: MDI vs SDI.png (759x1077, 429K)

>It's a hacked NTVDM
no, it's a port of Wine's reimplementation of NTVDM