Who here stopped distro hopping and just hopping in general?

Who here stopped distro hopping and just hopping in general?

I'm comfy with debian and dwm.
What about you guys?

Attached: Suckless_logo.svg.png (1024x668, 4K)

I use arch because I'm learning and I feel like when I get sick of hopping I might just use Debian

Void + suckless ended distro hopping for me

Comfy with WIndows 10, 7, XP, MS-DOS, Xubuntu, Mint & MX.

I've been distro hopping, including on Arch, and I think I'm just gonna go back to Debian soon, when I get some spare time. Fuck this bleeding-edge noise.

Comfy with Arch

nigger tell me the DE and wm
fuckkkkkkkkmmmk

Noticed there was no point in hopping because i just needed emacs

I have been just updating sources.list for about 8 years.

switched to nixos for stability + special snowflake points because setting it up again is easy when I inevitably hop again and hop back

For me it's fedora.

Attached: 1478474585177.jpg (826x733, 116K)

Happened to me years ago. Distro hopping is a phase. I ended up going back to Windows. Zero problems, comes preloaded with any new computer, awesome drivers, and is a great OS all around.

Comfy with KDE Neon on desktop, Debian on laptop.

Debian Testing and XFCE. OTP for life

Makes Debian basically a rolling release since testing is always the name of the repo above the code-names for stable.

I'll be sticking to Parrot OS and Windows as my gotos. Putty and POSIX emulators like Cygwin make it easy enough to interface with my servers so it's not like I even need to use Parrot.

Attached: pretzels.gif (500x281, 1.38M)

I've been using arch for around 3 years now and I am content since I haven't had any major issues.
Most likely because I use i3 and slapped XFCE components like the panel and notification daemon on top which is rock solid.
There are a few annoying bugs with xfce though like the toolbar icons looking mangled and the HDD free space reading fucking up for certain SSD drives.

The only annoying bit about arch in general is having to follow manual intervention steps once in a blue moon prior to updating but it is easy with an alias and rss reader.
I am tempted to switch to gentoo once I upgrade my rig with 8cores or more.
The AUR is so simple is so simple in comparison though, I don't have to go digging around in different repos to find what I want.

I've been using Debian for 2 years as my distro. It does everything I choose to do on my computer.

I have some engineering apps I need to use for university, for that I either dual boot or use a virtual machine with windows 10.

Attached: o6rhskivmqz11.jpg (850x850, 159K)

Ubuntu and i3 for me - mainstream distro and less hassle with managing open windows

>arch
>plasma
i'm kinda nervous running an unstable distro but ehh i'll hop again if it dies on me, i also want to try herbstluftwm and frankenwm because the floating implementation is godly there but i'm too lazy to configure another wm, so plasma for me

openbsd is best.

i3 and compton = compfy perfection

Gentoo is literally perfect

Currently using Fedora 30 but I wish I went back to void and my comfy af bspwm setup. feelsbadman

i3 Debian -> i3 Arch -> XFCE Manjaro

Manjaro with XFCE just works.

Attached: 1387246743498.png (500x700, 336K)

flopped to fedora a year or two ago because after using slackware, gentoo, openbsd, and eventually debian on various laptops over the like 7 preceding years, i wanted a justwerks for my 4k xps13 and i wanted it to look decent (I couldn't do my usual bitmap font spectrwm setup because bitmap fonts don't look as good on 4k as they do on my pixlet thinkpads), plus I wanted to have recentish packages while never breaking (corporate linux is kind of awful as an idea but it's undeniable that it results in incredible support and stability), I wanted modernish features because the computer can handle it (fedora isn't afraid of new things and is an early adopter)

as an ex debian user, dnf doesn't break anywhere near as often as apt, and dnf has a far better idea of how to remove shit than apt does. a debian desktop has a tendency to get filled with random shit and cruft from packages that has to get manually removed, because purge infrequently gets everything. in addition, debian testing, the closest to fedora in terms of having modern packages but not being an arch tier update-a-minute garbage fest doesnt have half the packages that are in sid for some reason.

like there are dozens of packages that I have wanted that have been in sid for legit 5+ years through many many versions of debian and yet were never pulled down to testing or stable. this means to get those packages you either need to bite the bullet and go to sid and sacrifice everything good about your system or you need to just try to get the sid package which will 50% of the time clobber your system by pulling in sid dependencies, breaking the fuck out of your entire install and requiring you to move to sid and hope that fixes it and if not reinstall.

the alternative is using ubuntu ppas, which is suicidal for many of the same reasons, yet is recommended to newbies all the time, setting them up for major breakage

>I'm comfy with debian and dwm.
Is it as comfy as your dilator?

so now im a fedorafag running gnome because justwerks. i put in my time using gentoo for 2+ years. it was actually really comfy and I miss it a lot but the install time is just too high of a bar for me to go through it again.

slackware was comfy too but updates are kind of a huge shitfest. if you want something in that vein that doesn't ship with a kernel that still has a 0day privilege escalation from 2, maybe 3 years ago, and doesn't force you to manually download, compile, and install that kernel, just use gentoo. slackware -current also has a good chance to instantaneously make your machine unbootable. ive had this happen to 3 different machines and ive read tons of stories about it happening.

openbsd was also comfy but the community really only cares about what theo wants and theo really only cares about code correctness and security, at the cost of things actually working. minor case-in-point, but case-in-point all the same, to all of you openbsd stans out there, go try to run some of the games that *ship with the OS*, most of them are broken because of a setuid change or something from several years ago now. there have been mailing list discussions about it but everybody was basically just like "eh who cares that change made it more secure and none of us really care enough to patch those to make them work with the new changes" even though they ****ship with the fucking system and currently do not even begin to run****. this is one of many examples but since it means part of the base fucking install doesn't even work, I think it's the best illustration for anyone to see what I mean.

I stick to gentoo with dwm on my laptop and debian with kde on my desktop.

ill finish by saying i used arch for a period of time (like 3 months). it's for losers and if you use it you're a loser. that might be hyperbolic idk, pacman is kind of ass and the AUR isn't that good. if you like watching loading bars to feel important when you pacman -Syu every three hours then maybe it's for you.

arch doesn't benefit from having a console install because the only point in an arch install where your setup might differ from someone else's is partitioning or locale, decisions other distros found graphical solutions to 20 years ago (including arch, before it decided to just stop maintaining it). an arch install is easy and rather quick but every arch install proceeds in exactly the same way by giving exactly the same commands in roughly the same order, to the point where there is no reason that they couldn't just maintain a simple shell script to work you through the install and do all of the boilerplate, then drop you into fdisk when the time comes, give you locale options, etc, etc., like every civilized distro on the planet does. i understand that the whole point is to make arch users feel like leet hackors when they do it but it's just RPing and it's unnecessary. this all happened because the arch devs are lazier than shit, too lazy to maintain their own installer, which already existed at one point in time. this laziness is relevant because it extends to other aspects of the OS too, like the way they're too lazy to maintain a repository of packages that work together cohesively, so they went with rolling release and just pull shit from upstream and directly convert it into arch packages and put them in the tree immediately and hope since they're all recent they'll work together. yet despite not even maintaining a set of packages arch still manages to have an incredibly small repo that has to depend on an unaudited, user-maintained repository called the AUR for even basic packages.

you made the right choice, Linus approves

how did you get the shell work properly , i get some weird characters and i can backspace everyting erasing the prompt .

its works weird , id rather use shell itself than to do eshell and term or whatsoever .

Attached: goku.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

is dwm worth the pain of configuration or should I stick with my bspwm?

>Stopped hopping in general

Sometimes, I feel like distro-hopping because I've been on the last 3 debian stables with no excitement whatsoever.
Then I look at other distros and realize it's mostly the same shit everywhere and the only real difference is in how difficult you want it to be to install software, plus every large software suite like chrome or krita offers a .deb package, but leaves you to suck shit on most other platforms.

Attached: locon meido.jpg (306x600, 71K)

Arch and i3. I'm tempted to try dwm, though.

In my experience it doesn't need any configuration, it just works out of the box

I did when I realized years ago that Linux is pointless and been a happy Windows user exclusively ever since.

DUDE. IF YOU WANT TO CONFIGURE IT, NOT HARD. IF YOU WANT TO CONFIGURE EVERYTHING/PATCH YOU NEED TO KNOW C.

BUT CONFIGURATION IS NOT NECESSARY AT ALL.

Okay.... but for some reason alt-shift-enter doesn't get me a terminal, I fear I messed it up.

Then leave for the windows threads and don't return.

OKAY, I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE, I ALREADY INSTALLED IT NOW I JUST NEED TO IRON OUT SOME PROBLEMS
:)

>but for some reason alt-shift-enter doesn't get me a terminal, I fear I messed it up

which distro are you using? did you get it from the repos or git?

void linux, I got it from git, I probably just don't have st installed like that based retard I am, but atm I am not getting an IP or internet connectivity on my machine, I might have to resort to USB tethering until I get more experience.

I used exclusively arch based distros with i3 for a while but i decided to use debian with openbox and tint2 on my laptop for uni since the processor and ram are kinda garbage and i didnt wanna risk breaking anything with unstable packages

>void linux
hobbyist. Case closed

KDE opensuse best

Stopped when I got to Slackware. I'd always wanted to run it but just didn't know enough about Linux when i was using Ubuntu. I then went to Debian and gradually to put the work in to learn it. That was 18 months ago and I haven't moved.

What is a non hobbyist distro?

Debian.

But you can use your openbsd, arch, gentoo, void, devuan etc etc etc

I've been on Gentoo+xmonad for years now. For the rare occasions where I want a floating wm, and for those times where I want a breath of fresh air, I use sawfish: not as well known as others, but possibly the best standalone floating wm you could possibly get.
I often try something else from time to time, but I keep coming back to these.
I might switch to Guix in the future once its repos grow large enough and it implements some USE flag equivalent mechanism.
But as others have said, as long as I can get Emacs running, I'm happy.

Attached: pbs_twimg_com_profile_images_110.png (279x279, 144K)

>Laptop
Fedora Silverblue because hardware is 100% supported
>Work desktop
Gentoo
>Fuckaround VM
Plan 9

Despite this, OpenBSD is my favorite OS. I'd use it everywhere if it had: VSCode, better hidpi support, played nice with newer laptop hardware.

At least switch to Devuan and escape the Poettring botnet.

To be fair, every - EVERY Jow Forums Debian user should switch to Devuan.

>Okay.... but for some reason alt-shift-enter doesn't get me a terminal, I fear I messed it up.
By default alt shift enter opens st, the suckless terminal

I just use arch and windows 10
Used to be a mandriva fag a long time ago, but switched to debian in like 2010 or 2011. I started using arch a few years ago and it just works. Don't know if that's considered hopping, but nowadays I just can't bring myself to try anything new

Hm. Thanks for answering at all.
I have considered it, and I probably will in the future, but for now I am tinkering a little.

I never distro hopped.

Used redhat on a server and then Gentoo and stuck with Gentoo because portage was easier to use than rpm.

Heh, I probably actually really unironically don't have it installed yet.
I thought I installed the binary, but I didn't due to the fact you have to compile it for better results, but I din't do that yet either.
Brb, hanging myself up in a tree.

based

I have been on xubuntu for years now. The only thing that I am tempted to try is Lubuntu now that they have switched to lxqt + openbox.

I've never had to distro hop, ever. I've always used whatever OS shipped with the computers I've bought and I've always been happy with them.

I don't really hop on individual machines, but I try something new when I get new ones. My desktop has been running Gentoo for a long time, but I've gotten laptops since that I run things like OpenBSD and 9front on

>distro hopping
how you know this?
systemd botnet reported to you?

what

I use Ubuntu because it just works.

Ubuntu has its roots. It came from Debian. Never forget that.

dwm is pretty good, but the statusbar it comes with is kind of ass. you can install a patch to give the statusbar colors but i noticed it made switching tags feel really slow. ymmv

You glow in the dark!

nixos

I distro hopped like a bunny back in HS on a lenovo G50. I started with Ubuntu, then manjaro, then debian, then Arch, then back to Ubuntu for the last year or so of me using it. Last month I got an ideapad 310, now I'm using Arch+i3. Pretty happy with it.

I stopped as soon as arch.

I've been on Debian for five years now. It mostly werks. But I use virtual machines a lot because developers hate sticking to versions of stuff available in Debian. Might make CentOS my main driver just because of app streams for scripting languages.

I neved hopped, I stayed with Ubuntu and fucked with my install.

I only started using Linux a few months back but I've settled on Elementary. I tried Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu (testing each different DE) then Elementary in that order. I love Pantheon and the nvidia optimus nightmare that just fucking werks on here. Once I get my new laptop with no nvidia tumour I will see what Pantheon is like on Arch.

A friend of mine tried fedora and quit immediately cus rpm sucked fat dick

I fucking despised Elementary. It was hard to use and the paid software was ass.

Pretty much this. Surprisingly my journey to Linux start with arch and I used it for a year. While it doesn't breaks for me, having to config every single little thing becomes a real PITA after a while, so I just switched to Fedora.

how so? and I haven't touched any paid software so I wouldn't know. the gui software manager is trash but that's the same on literally every distro

I thought I was the only one. No rice. Just normal i3wm and Ubuntu utils. I know gnome utils kills the quickness of i3 but I don't care lol

I've settled with arch, but because the installation and configuration process was a hassle, in future installations I may hop to Fedora or Manjaro.

>slackware -current also has a good chance to instantaneously make your machine unbootable

Please qualify this comment. Surely that's if you fuck up the kernel upgrade?

-current is fine for long-term use, in my opinion, as long as the user is careful about what and when to upgrade. Installing updates every day without looking at the changelog or forum is asking for trouble.

comfy tbhfam

Attached: new pape.png (1280x800, 642K)

I'm either using Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint (Cinnamon) or Windows. Currently Windows.

this

Comfy with Xubuntu. Never leaving

Thanks, Luke.

guess your friend needs to git gud

Checked. Linux Mint does the trick for me. Came from Arch.

I ended up on Manjaro. Then a few thousand hours of video games and I guess this is where I'm staying, more out of dumb luck than anything.