/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1494091312417.jpg (1600x1200, 425K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.robertelder.org/bash-one-liner-compose-music/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The
funtoo.org/BTRFS_Fun#Playing_with_subvolumes_and_snapshots
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

try me

Attached: crux.jpg (150x150, 3K)

What are some cool terminal commands?

pasting from an old one
env BUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus XAUTHORITY=/home/myself/.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0.0 ; notify-send "Test"; touch $HOME/testfile
as a crontab entry wont send notifications, it executes since it creates and updates testfile

sed -i -e '137,139s/something/somethingelse/2g' file
changes something to somethingelse from lines 137 to 139 in the file "file", but only on the second iteration (the 2g)

Be a nice user and tell notify-send which display to use.

>DISPLAY=:0.0
wont suffice?

Nice, thanks

>;

Im being serious...has that fat, Jewish slob ever done anything that is meaningful, efficient and pragmatic? Or all that he did/does is to babble philosophical garbage out of his big Jewish mouth?

Serious question here, not trying to troll or insult anyone.

you're using env wrong
you're supposed to put the command as an argument to env after the variables
env does not modify the environment from which it is ran, so the notify-send command you run after it (because you separated it with ;) does not have the variables set

DISPLAY=:0.0 notify-send "Test"; touch $HOME/testfile should do

I use it all the time to change Makefiles on the fly on my CRUX ports and is used in Gentoo's ebuilds too to give you an idea.

man env
man crontab

curl wttr.in/?0?q?T

Did you take your brown pill today?

Figlet 'op is a fag'

I have been trying to set up dnscrypt on a router running openwrt all week. Working on boxes while they are in production sucks. Pretty much ready to give up since I can't wrap my head around how dnscrypt interacts with dnsmasq. I got it running correctly once but then everything exploded when I tried to enable dnssec. At least I learned some new terminal commands I guess.

Terrific points. I'm really starting to see things your way.

Netcat!
>nc dict.org 2628

>help
gives you an overview how to use it

>define wn gnu
gives you the definition for gnu using the WordNet database

>show db
prints a list of all databases

For less typing and scripting, you can also pipe commands tp nc:
>printf 'define wn gnu\nquit\n' | nc dict.org 2628

There's lots of potential here. Output of show db:
gcide "The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48"
wn "WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006)"
moby-thesaurus "Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0"
elements "The Elements (07Nov00)"
vera "V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms (September 2014)"
jargon "The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003)"
foldoc "The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (18 March 2015)"
easton "Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary"
hitchcock "Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary (late 1800's)"
bouvier "Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856)"
devil "The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906)"
world02 "CIA World Factbook 2002"
gaz2k-counties "U.S. Gazetteer Counties (2000)"
... and LOTS of language translators.

Attached: 1501533524308.jpg (640x480, 219K)

Anyone knows why the mouse cursor won't hide in VLC fullscreen anymore in Arch?

That post was truly awful. It is painfully obvious that you do not belong here. But that is ok, there is a positive solution. Rather than trying to fit in, you should strongly consider going to a site more suited for posters like you, such as Reddit, Tumblr, or maybe even Gaia. You have plenty of options. You will be happy, and we will be happy. Best of luck, but don't come back. Bye!

>/?0?q?T
nice

Install mpv

That's not a solution, that's a circumvention.

it still does not work, neither with env VAR VAR VAR notify-send nor with "DISPLAY=:0.0 notify"
both commands work when invoked from terminal emulator

>not trying to troll or insult anyone.
I wonder if that is true

It's possible PATH isn't correctly set up when running from cron.
Try using the full path to env and notify-send.

you are a gay gorilla nigger who eats cum
not trolling just stating facts

blog.robertelder.org/bash-one-liner-compose-music/

Okay so I'm using feh with -x to get sweet borderless images on my desktop like
feh -x /home/user/Downloads/1564900701108.jpg

But how can I specify this action directly when opening an image, instead per terminal? I'm too much of a brainlet to make it borderless either automatically when opening by right clicking and open with feg, or after opening it like this.

it works with touch...
appending full paths didnt work either

How to make mpv also print the audio bitrate ti tetminal when playing a file?

okay i figured that out
sudo -u DISPLAY=:0 DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user//bus notify-send "text"

when running from a root started crond

Why don't you just call a script from cron?

Im not good with bash syntax.
my .xinitrc looks like this

exec dwm

I want to run feh and slstatus as well.
how to do?

i have tried putting some in /etc/cron.d but for some reason they didnt work
maybe I was just more retarded then

Thoughts on MX Linux sudden popularity? Is there really some shilling/hitting going or is it all just a conspiracy?

Attached: 1564948788861.png (720x702, 65K)

They have to be in your PATH and executable.

I really don't understand the logic behind uwing a workspace. isn't every program already a workspace?

>Why don't you just call a script from cron?
so what did it mean exactly?

exec dwm should the last line, everything you want to start additionally must be placed before it. exec replaces the current process with the command provided, that's why eveything after exec will not start.

Workspaces are basically screens you switch between. I have one for programming with vim, etc, one for browsing the web, etc.

>lightweight
>just werks
>configured in a lisp
>great documentation
>builtin graphical configuration tool
How come you faggots never recommended me the greatest floating wm around?

Attached: sawfishot21.jpg (1680x1050, 88K)

makes no sense, just use alt tab

Try it for a while. Everything feels much cleaner and better organized, especially when using twms.

let's say there's no gnu/linux and you dislike bsd, what would you use?

>tfw open window ocd
Could never keep windows open if I'm not using them. Don't know how much time has been spent closing and opening up the file manager alone.

Get a designated workspace for your file manager, never close it.

There's still freedos, lol.

FreeDOS, if there is no Linux then the Hurd would have come out in all its glory.

I've heard of Plan9, didn't look it up so far but i guess it's FLOSS

How the hell do I log out of sudo su in the Arch main terminal?

I enter exit, or ctrl+D and it even says I'm signed out, yet I can still see the root colors and I'm still not out. If I try to open a browser in the terminal it still says that its not supported in a root session.

HURD

If exit doesn't log you out, you've maybe in a nemested session. Try exit again till you're logged out. Also why would you ever want to be root? Use sudo like a normal being.

nested

Would a thinkpad E480 work well with linux? Does anyone have any exprience with this laptop? I will probably install arch linux on it.

I don't have a solution, but another workatound that might interest you. unclutter hides your cursor if it isn't moving for a set time. You might want to check it out.
feh &
slstatus &
exec dwm
imagine having 4 programs open. 2 of those being used together (something like text editor and terminal for programming) and the other two being used together for a different thing (let's say a file manager and an image viewer).
You can have the windows that belong together on one workspace so that yyou can quickly switch between sets of windows. Try doing that with alt+tab. As a bonus your task bar doesn't become so cluttered.

The thing is I don't keep programs I do't use open and f for instance I have 3 programs opened, a browser, text editor and a terminal I'd probably need the browser to search stuff related to what I am doing

I kinda figured it out by accident. I removed the interface from VLC and for some reason it now hides the cursor in both window and fullscreen. Good.

>and you dislike bsd
kill my stupid self

I'm going to set up a multilib chroot to play Steam games within a non-multilib system, am I going to have to reinstall all of my drivers and kernel modules to use in the chroot or is that not how it works?

Sure. If you don't need to use workspaces don't. You are free to use software the way you want. That's one of the 4 fundamental freedoms. If you really wanted to, you could even remove the functionality of workspaces from the software you use completely.
Personally I like having things like my email client and a music player open on a different workspace. Mostly because I dislike minimizing windows since I can't un-minimize them with only one keystroke.

found the cucklet

why is the wiki down?

you need mesa and related packages but not kernel modules or firmware
posting this from chromium running in a glibc chroot (i would not install that garbage on my main system)

which wiki

THE wiki

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The
it's up

kys youre shelf

Does anyone here happen to have advice on a good distro for hypervisor purposes? At this point I'm going to run my primary OS in a VM for machine portability reasons, and I'd like to have my T420 daily driver machine have a good distro for being a hypervisor. All I really want is a distro that supports VirtualBox, since I can just compile QEMU on said distro. Thanks!

Attached: 1560467193050.png (480x312, 103K)

Saw that too, didn't find what I wanted in the cached page either so it can stay down for all I care.

are there more games like openRCT2 where all I need are the original game files and not wine?

Wait, you want to use virtualbox or qemu?
If I understood correctly you want to run your shit on a VM, if that's the case go for a minimal distro as a base one, like gentoo and use qemu for hypervisor.
You could try an xev build too

debian

gentoo isn't minimal

>gentoo isn't minimal
>recommends a tranny OS
whew lad

>tranny OS
Dilate

Attached: u2.jpg (644x500, 39K)

what are some audio players mimicking w*namp?
no ncurses garbage please.

Attached: playful_frog.jpg (354x286, 25K)

this is a friendly thread, get the fuck out poltard

is that lxqt

No, it's sawfish.

audacious and qmmp have options to look like winamp apparently.
There's also XMMS which looks like it but I think it may be an old abandoned project so you might not find it in your distros repo.

>qmmp
Neat. It doesn't have a media library though.
Guess I'll stick with Sayonara for now.

>trannies on damage control

HOW THE EVERY LOVING FUCK DO YOU INSTALL "REQUESTS" IN PYTHON3?

sudo pip3 install requests

DOSENT DO SHIT
ImportError: cannot import name 'requests' from 'pip._vendor' (/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_vendor/__init__.py)

>Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice...
How long has the OP been like that?

i found a good explanation of btrfs subvolumes
funtoo.org/BTRFS_Fun#Playing_with_subvolumes_and_snapshots

I want to do something very simple. I have Kdenlive and Krita installed on my Linux Mint OS through the Software Manager. I want to update both software to the latest versions.I know there are updates, but they are not listed on the Software Manager.

How is your software manager installing them? Package manager, flatpak, snap? All of these will be updated separately at different times by different maintainers. You might just need to be patient. I'm not familiar with Linux Mint's policy on pushing version updates, but it's probably like Ubuntu, i.e. no major version updates until the next point release. Try installing the apps you want through flatpak, snap, or appimage, you can often get the most up-to-date versions of software through these channels.

Where is that picture from? Has Richard Stallman finally lost his virginity?

I have no idea how to check what package manager it is set to.

I have come to a realization that Arch is trash. And so is Gentoo.
You can't have clueless, complacent middle-class morons who call their system Linux™ as developers and expect their os to be decent.
I was mistaken and recommended these trash OSes to someone, albeit jokingly.

Attached: 1444869381286.jpg (924x558, 89K)

He never was a virgin.

Kdenlive has an appimage, just download that.

MINIX

not really, I'd use Haiku

Eat shit and die in a ditch.
Serious reply, I didn't mean to insult you.

But it does not show up in my launcher software. Also does not show up in Software Manager, so no alerts when updates are available.

Watch the Chris Titus video where he shows how to make an icon. He uses appimage too.