If nuclear power and radiation are so safe then why are workers' doses constantly monitored?

If nuclear power and radiation are so safe then why are workers' doses constantly monitored?
Why do workers wear pic related?
Why are workers clothes stored in barrels and taken underground as low-level waste?
How nuclear waste so hot that cooling it takes a decade in a guarded pool?
Why is all non-hazardous waste being disposed in some cavity designed to last next 10^5 years?

I don't understand why this is all required if nuclear is so safe

Attached: jordan-nuclear-energy-protest2.jpg (2048x1371, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lL6uB1z95gA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Better safe than sorry. Safer than any other energy we've tried per KW produced

if radiation is so bad, why aren't you against 5G?

Sure, I'll fucking bite OP, you massive faggot.

>If nuclear power and radiation are so safe then why are workers' doses constantly monitored?

If XRay Imaging is so safe, why does the nurse step out of the room to take one? Because even such a tiny harmful dose adds up when you are doing it multiple times a day most days of the year. Same shit here, you monitor to make sure everyone stays below a certain threshold. Further more, it's another point where if something is going wrong, it can be detected. These types of safety protocols are in every industry, not just nuclear.

>Why do workers wear pic related?

Do you know if someone had to clean your shit and vomit of a floor, they'd have to wear a hazmat suit according to OSHA? That is just for human shit.

>Why are workers clothes stored in barrels and taken underground as low-level waste?
>How nuclear waste so hot that cooling it takes a decade in a guarded pool?
>Why is all non-hazardous waste being disposed in some cavity designed to last next 10^5 years?

Every goddamn industry has wasteful byproducts OP. It about relative risk. I know you've been led to believe that shooting fucking smog into the atmosphere or creating continent sized barges of plastic in the ocean is some how better that nuclear waste, but it really isn't. Properly disposed radioactive material will eventually stop being radioactive and the amount of waste produced per unit of energy is minimized with nuclear.

>If nuclear power and radiation are so safe then why are workers' doses constantly monitored?
Just to be safe.
They don't.
>Why are workers clothes stored in barrels and taken underground as low-level waste?
What the fuck? That's the dumbest lie I ever heard.
Radiation.
>Why is all non-hazardous waste being disposed in some cavity designed to last next 10^5 years?
Radiation.

>I don't understand why this is all required if nuclear is so safe
Im pretty sure that you don't even know how nuclear plants work. You are just stopping progress with your dumb shit.

It's safe BECAUSE all those things are required.
Just like flying is safe because you're not allowed to open the doors in flight.

objectively false. i wish people werent so fucking retarded about nuclear power.
t. navy nuke.

Just leaving some knowledge to the ignorant...

youtube.com/watch?v=lL6uB1z95gA

Attached: Recovered_png_file(12512).png (250x256, 8K)

Most of the answers can be summed up as "for safety".
As in, nuclear power is safe because they take proper precautions.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst and all of that.

It's continually hot because it's radioactive (so it's emitting a lot of energy). As time passes, the waste will lose much of its radioactivity due to decay.
It's guarded so people don't fucking steal the still highly radioactive fuel and do something stupid like put it where people can be around it without shielding.

Water is useful, since it's a good way to transfer heat away from the rods, it's a good way to shield the area around from radiation produced by the rods, and you can move objects in and out of the water relatively easily.

>large battery arrays would be an EYESORE

eat a dick

Attached: 1496345000334.jpg (576x1024, 47K)

>he wants to be stuck on coal and natural gas like a good goy

Attached: 1548353627604.png (1720x1152, 2.13M)

3 of the world's highest output nuclear plants are shut down. 2 due to catastrophic accidents.
Meanwhile, the world's 5 biggest wind farms are still offline because they aren't finished yet.

*3 of 10 largest*

you lying piece of shit. the leaf reactor is still on and the two jap ones are only offline thanks to that tsunami years ago, they could be partially on by now. all the south korea ones are working fine.

>lists a bunch of safety measures meant to keep workers safe from radiation
>"I don't understand why this is all required if nuclear is so safe"

Attached: 1564523483216.jpg (500x500, 49K)

What is your point?
That aside from China's mega farm (literally crossing multiple provinces in China), one nuclear plant produces the same amount of power as any three of the other wind farms in a fraction of the area?

if nuclear power is so dangerous why do radiation workers have the lowest cancer rates of ANY occupation?

>Properly disposed radioactive material will eventually stop being radioactive and the amount of waste produced per unit of energy is minimized with nuclear.

As much as I agree with your post, and OP is a faggot "eventually" is a tad bit misleading ... it's more like "after an unreasonably long period of time." In fact, so long that we are looking for a symbol to properly represent the danger of radiation in the situation that today's languages aren't used in the future so that whoever stumbles upon a waste dump knows not to enter.

Look what you did faggot, you startled my wife with your nonsense words

Attached: __reiuji_utsuho_touhou_drawn_by_toutenkou__87a882aea34ca853b17750f09fd75b21.jpg (1866x1306, 164K)

Nuclear power causes less deaths per terrawatt generated than Wind farms, deal with it retard

Attached: 1523104677024.png (536x593, 130K)

>I screeched about how scared I am about nuclear power for 60 years, why are they trying to answer my concerns with increased safety measures and regulations?

Attached: 1559624253345.png (500x590, 19K)

Stuff that is radioactive for a long time is inherently less dangerous than stuff that is radioactive for a short time, because it's LESS radioactive.
The most problematic isotopes have half-lives less than 100 years, and while things like uranium have half-lives of millions of years you can safely handle them unprotected.

His post is kinda misleading for a different reason than you claim.

No, user, good goyim want solar and wind because tony stark and captain america told them they should like solar and wind and not problematic white nationalist nuclear power. They also told the good goys to buy more onions!

because we wrote laws saying it is required and so it is done.

>solar power
>wind farms

Attached: 096.gif (800x371, 193K)

>Obviously safety precautions make us LESS safe!
I love it when you anti-nuclear retards make it plain and clear for all to see exactly how retarded you are. Really makes my life easier when I can just immediately shoot down a spasmatic retard trying to convince people that nuclear power is some evil conspiracy out to get muh renewables.

Attached: laughs in freedom.jpg (283x352, 20K)

Regulatory oversight.
The usually don't unless they're expecting to be in a potentially hot zone.
Why do doctors throw out every pair of latex gloves even if they're just taking your temperature?
Spent rods aren't stored in the spent fuel cooling pool for decades. They're put in casks after a few years.
It's cheap and easy.
>I don't understand why this is all required if nuclear is so safe.
Safety.

Because that's what keeps nuclear safe

>constantly monitored
because nuclear is a bureacracy and the paperwork for any given part likely weighs more than the part.
>pic related
you wear the same things in a semiconductor fab
stop being a dirty faggot
>stored in barrels
stop being a dirty faggot
>how is nuclear waste so hot that cooling it takes a decade in a guarded pool
because producing power requires hot things... are you brain damaged?
>non-hazardous waste disposed cavity
because retards like you would try to access it and get hurt doing so.
Play around in a landfill instead, you'd do the world a lot better catching syphilis from trash.

>greenpeace

Attached: bait desu ka.png (1233x957, 173K)

This.
>inb4 “muh non ionizing radiation” retards

UV light is non ionizing too and yet melanoma is the number 1 cancer in terms of deaths/time

if fuel refining is so safe then why do workers still wear oxygen content alarms?
if electricity is so safe then why are substations fenced in?
if coal is so safe then why do they take canaries to the mines?

If airplanes are so safe why do we get told what to do when they crash in every flight?

Radiation isn't safe

gotem

Oh no, don't tell me you're so miserable and alone that you actually had to resort to this? user, you put effort into acting like a retard just so you could have the fleeting moment of human interaction when someone responded with an insult, didn't you?
Holy shit, this is just too precious. Here, have some more, you loser.

Attached: smugtohru.jpg (373x380, 45K)

>UV light is non ionizing too
Not entirely correct. The higher part of the UV spectrum is ionizing, and the main skin cancer causing section of UV light, UVB, has a photon energy high enough to cause ionization.

Are reactors with isotopes whose half lives are below 100 years common? I only know of the CANDU reactor which uses Uranium-235. It's been a while since I took chemistry but my understanding of the situation is that although you can hold uranium with long half lives in your hands, more radioactive material in one place (a dump) will expose you to more radiation. So a full and sealed dump, although it is only a weak isotope, will be deadly to walk through

>tfw Dad and brother both ex-Navy nukes now working in the civilian nuclear power sector
>tfw hearing someone spout off about how "bad" nuclear is in the same breath as they lament the low uptake on "green" energy
Enough to make me want to shoot up the place.
(note to glowniggers: that's a joke)

Seriously though, eventually the nuclear field is going to get majority brown and then it will be an actual problem because of literal retards running it.

>Are reactors with isotopes whose half lives are below 100 years common?
Yes, they produce them in the process of splitting uranium/plutonium atoms. That's why the fuel rods are handled so carefully when they're removed and waste is handled carefully, but also why we don't have to worry so much about people forgetting what radiation danger signs mean.

would you rather live next to a nuclear plant or coal plant?

/thread

that was fast

UV from the Sun is ionizing.... how do you think photosynthesis happens?

Or are you just this retarded?

Nuclear, hands down. Great source of cheap energy and it would be cheap to get a house there since retarded soccer moms drive down housing prices with their shrieking.

if welding is so safe why do workers wear these?

Attached: 1549252453819.jpg (296x296, 15K)

Nuclear.
I'm already within 30km of one and I wouldn't want to live anywhere near that close to a coal plant.

UV A is non ionizing, you tard
or did you think UV light comprehended a single frequency?

Probably the biggest retard in the thread.
According to your logic, photosynthesis only happens with UV light, when it is widely known (at least everyone with a highschool diploma) that plants use the a wide array of the spectrum to carry out photosynthesis. Pic related, it's why you are a retard.

Attached: 2ESvsvLQweBw2ZOaK4wY_Chlorophyll+Spectrum.jpg (800x512, 52K)

dude, don't post if you don't know what you are talking about

If driving is so safe, then why are drivers wearing these?

Attached: download.jpg (183x275, 9K)

None of what you said is true, and India is working on thorium reactors which produce 100 times less waste and are many times cheaper to maintain. Not to mention most plants use recycled old war bombs for fuel these days. You know nothing op. Even the poojeets know better than you.

>and yet melanoma is the number 1 cancer in terms of deaths/time
Where the fuck are you getting this fake info from?
Melanoma accounts for 1-4% of skin cancer cases (depending on location), and it has been it the top 5 cancers with highest survive rates for a while now, generally more than 90%.
For comparison, a little over 7000 people die from it every year in the US, while nearly 150000 die from lung cancer, nearly 50000 from breast, colon and pancreatic cancers, 30000 from liver and prostate, etc.
Melanoma is not even in the top 20 cancers by either death rate or diagnosis rate.

That's exactly why nuclear energy is the safest and cleanest source of electricity.
The regulations are super strict.
Modern reactors are designed to withstand plane crashes.
Now google how many people die in coal mines because of shitty safety every year. Feel the difference.

It's possible to burn ~98% of nuclear waste in fast or hybrid reactors.

Because it is a pretty cheap and efficient way to know IF something happens.

Rather safe then sorry. In the USA about 30.000 people died in 2017 in a car crash, that makes about 0.000001% of the population.
Does that mean that you shouldn't take care while driving? After all the chance of something happening to you is extremely low.
What about planes?
Should we not have checks at airports simply because "flying is safe"?

Having high safety standards doesn't mean something is not safe, that is retarded.
High safety standards is an indication of people BEING AWARE OF DANGERS.

>0.000001%
0.01% or one in one hundred thousand.

The Hydrocarbon Jew fears the atom.

Every time I look at my electricity bills I thank a nearby nuclear plant.
I can't imagine replacing it with a coal plant or the renewable meme. It's like going back to the stone age.

Choke on a cock big oil shill.

Came here go post this

Attached: 492.jpg (1500x1500, 154K)

If candy is harmless how come they erode your teeth?

Coal since Id hate to get close to those radioactive fumes from the tower

I see the nuclear shills are pretty active today.

OP can eat a dick. I appreciate what you doing here even though it's throwing pearls before swines

Nukes are safe because they're fake.
Scam to steal tax payer dollars.
Nukes are hollywood movie magic.
Nuclear power plants do not produce energy.
Energy is harvested from the atmosphere via power lines.
How often do you see power plants? They're uncommon because they're unnecessary fakes.

Attached: 2019-08-05-204326_739x615_scrot.png (739x615, 433K)

Next you're gonna tell me the earth is flat. Go back to /x/, faggot.

Hate that channel but renewable energy is a scam most of the time.

>Coal since Id hate to get close to those radioactive fumes from the tower
So you choose coal, which actually pumps out radioactive fumes while nuclear plants just give off steam which hasn't been contaminated by nuclear isotopes because it's part of the heat exchanger cooling loop, not the core cooling loop.