/umpcg/ UMPC General

trial edition

UMPCs are Ultra-Portable Computers that are not so capable but are great Linux Machines.

Recommended Models:

Samsung Q1 Ultra
Sony VAIO VGN-UX Series
FUJITSU U Series

DO NOT SELL LEGS FOR UMPCS EBAY PRICES ARE SCAMS.

Non-UMPC Spec Reccomendations:

Nokia N900+N800+N810 (Runs Linux)
Noodle Pi (if it ever re-releases)

Attached: 69378-tablets-review-sony-vaio-vgn-ux1xn-umpc-image1-FqV19caCD8.jpg (320x336, 25K)

>DO NOT SELL LEGS FOR UMPCS EBAY PRICES ARE SCAMS.
Alright, so where should I look if I'm interested in buying one?

List of UMPC on pic.

GPD WIN1 (with hand grip and cooling mod)
GPD WIN2
IBM PC110 (Own 2 pcs and a docking station no in the pic)
MR-1 General Dynamics (IX750)
Sony VAIO VGN-U71P (2 pcs and a docking station)
Sony VAIO PCG-U1 (2 pcs)
Sony VAIO PCG-U3
Toshiba Libretto U100 (2 pcs)
Samsung Q1 Ultra (3 pcs)
Toshiba Libretto W100
Fujitsu Life Book U810 (2 pcs and docking stations)
Sony Vaio C1 series (Picture Book) (3 version: PCG-C1VN, PCG-C1MR/BP, & PCG-C1MSX)
Samsung Q1b
Sony Vaio UX Micro PC (VGN UX380CN and docking station)
OQO Model 02 (and docking station)
Kohjinsha DZ
Sony Vaio GT3/K

Attached: hz380eisudd11.jpg (4912x2760, 1.05M)

>tfw your VAIO UX dock is virtually useless because it's missing the retarded plate that props the UMPC up

CF-U1 gang checking in. I put an SSD in mine.

Attached: panasonic_u1_summary_710.jpg (710x362, 64K)

Your local library got a 3D printer?
Also seconding in wanting to know where I can buy one of these other than eBay horseshit pricing, I want a Vaio UX something fierce

Actually I've been meaning to see if I could find a model, I have a 3D printer

Attached: i came.jpg (407x342, 20K)

>I put an SSD in my CF-U1
CF-U1 machines always came with SSDs.

A friend of mine just bought one of these and is going to put an SSD in his.

They came with some piece of shit that has read speeds of like 40mb/s and replacing them with another drive and adapter can double it.
They are super dated devices. You can't get anything rugged and modern without spending a ton.

See

whats your problem man?

what's the best keyboard to make my samsung j1 into a ghetto umpc? My lenovo u110 umpc is too big for my pockets.

Gemini PDA runs Debian but it takes a fuckton of configuration to get it to run nice. No updates either, which is annoying. But overall it's as useful as any Debian build is. Recommend.

Man, you take the name bugmen to a whole new level.

how does /umpcg/ feel about the GPD Pocket? Is it worth waiting for a potential Pocket 3 or should I just buy the micro? I have a Pocket 1 atm

What's wrong with your current one that makes you want to get a new one?

I'm not a fan of the atom processor in the Pocket 1, it tends to chug a bit. Newer ones at least have an 8100Y in them. But honestly it's just because new shiny tech

I have two actually, one with a slightly cracked screen which works fine, and another one in perfect shape. I keep the cracked screen one as a parts spare.

It's a handy little machine, I run OpenBSD on it, everything just works, but I had to use a blobless wifi dongle to fetch the blob for the internal wifi.

Whats the appeal?

There are two clases of protable devices. Those which fit in pocket like smartphone, or those which fit in laptop.

They are intresting, but if I'm carrying a bag why don't bring laptop?

In the winter I edc my UMPC in my sweatshirt pocket. In the summer I use it as a handheld SimCity 4 machine at work

Heavier than a smartphone, lighter than a laptop. If a laptop is too heavy for you, they fill a nice niche.

Ultra-portable full PC functionality. Phones and tablets are cool and all but I find itty bitty baby PCs to be more useful for the things I actually want to do on the go.