What do CS students regret not doing in college

I keep hearing about all the shit I could be doing to get a decent job after graduation, what's actually worth doing? Are clubs and activities bullshit or does the leadership stuff actually matter?

Attached: e51.jpg (774x960, 92K)

Socialize and communicate with other students. Maybe make an app together or something.

That sounds more for networking, and I can't knock it since nepotism got me a job. But much more importantly, do try to look for internships and learn/work on side projects outside of classes. A CS grad with an empty Github/LinkedIn is virtually unhirable

>build up your github/linkedin
>grind leetcode
>take your classes seriously
>get a decent internship
>grind leetcode some more
>get a decent job

This is the advice I'd give any undergrad

>t. senior engineer

>literal retard advice
Leetcode is a fucking joke that no one takes seriously so shut the fuck up

>A CS grad with an empty Github/LinkedIn is virtually unhirable
I keep telling everyone I'm in school with this and nobody is listening. I'm at a point now where I just don't care anymore about them.

most retards who enter CS want to be "programmers" or get rich doing a startup. CS is applied math and if you are scared of math or don't give a fuck about math you are going to waste your time and money.

They become unhirable after getting their degree because they didn't learn anything, they just wanted to variably past the exams while thinking they will magically get a good job out after grinding university.

>but muh contacts
just get into a business school and get people worth contacting

>but muh code
go SE, they are going to teach you "programming" but you must bear a little math too.

Really? I thought having the degree was going to get me a job, boy was I wrong. I hope most people get this by now

>9
No one gives a shit about github anymore boomers.

Is it okay to have a github, but no linkedin account?

>go SE
Most universities teach software engineering through their computer science programs. It is usually not a separate degree.

learning to program

Attached: coc.jpg (1024x768, 148K)

>LINKEDIN
>LINKEDIN
>LINKEDIN
AARRGH!!! I HATE THAT STUPID SITE

Attached: Linkedin.png (587x881, 173K)

I can understand why some people don't think it's necessary. My classmates in other majors don't seem to need to grind accomplishments outside of the degree itself

COPE

What the fuck am I meant to make to put into a github? I don't know what to make.

how do you build your github?
do you just find open source stuff and contribute to it?
I'm thinking of making a dating simulator and my github name contains cuss words, how fucked am i?

>amerishart job market requires shithub for entry level monkey jobs
lol

>cope

Not github specifically; as long as you have a portfolio where you can show of your works, you're good

>be freshman, take advantage of freshman only intern opportunities
>side projects until you get another internship
>intern chain, get at least one FAANG tier
>use career fairs to get interview for full time
>whore out leetcode to clear interviews
above is the career optimal 3 year route for CS
everything else is just compensation for fucking up that path

Freshman only internships are affirmative action programs stupid

Boomers and millenials are hiring managers still though

>High GPA
>Lots of projects
>Be a tech aid

Enjoy your 125K straight out of the door.

Not even.
I use gitlab instead, and in the beginning I was constantly asked to port all of my shit over to github because it was what they were all using

practically everyone i've met that had freshman internship was asian or white

I'm ready to drop everything and become a nomad. Last year of college left and i dont know if i can do this any more :'(

me too, i have no interships or github

the specific underclassman targeting internships like Microsoft Explore heavily favor women and latinos etc

all the chicks I've seen land in this program at my mid tier at best university were weak and ended up going to MS full time in unprestigious testing roles

they later discontinued that title completely so they can act like they're on equal footing with SDEs now

Im in my second year and I'm already right where you are. fuck all these retards I'm in class with if they're my co-workers Im fucking wasting my time.
also FUCK COLLEGE these retards are teaching shit in 6mo that could be done in three weeks while saddling me with a bunch of horseshit extra classes that are entirely outside the scope of the field I want to be in.

Again, no one takes leetcode seriously

fuck those workshops and shitty internships/slave labor. you have to specialize in something useful and git gud.

>horseshit extra classes

That's how colleges make money.

Are unpaid internships worth it?

maybe they just got their interviews at my school's job fair instead now that I think about it
the recruiters made a big difference between upper and lower class, and did separate us by that

literally every fucking tech interview I've has asked me questions straight from leetcode

If college has you depressed you should see a therapist and also know that college makes a lot of people depressed (myself included); academics typically suffer from poor mental health. It does get better though, especially after you graduate. After you land your first job, you’ll forget you even felt this way and life will feel real again.

What the fuck are you on no one uses leetcode stop trying to shill it. How many are they paying you?

Im not depressed, I enjoy the simplicity of going to class and sitting there but I've already been in a similar field to what I want to get into so I know kinda what is actually useful and what is most likely a waste of time. all I hope is that my degree helps me travel.

where and how many interviews have you done, and what was your experience level when you did them?

That's more like all the node_modules she imported

Contributing to projects, forks, or your own stuff. What it is really doesn't matter. Heck, I even decided to upload the dource of all the small CS problems I was solving anyways.

> tfw compsci and worked myself to the point of no social life and depression feels doing both tutoring at my university and paid internships over the holidays and managed to land a good corporate graduate role starting next February after I graduate at the end of this year

Attached: 1549708325280m.jpg (1024x1024, 80K)

Fuck more girls. Ive been in relationships since I was 15 (28 now) so Ive only been with 6 different women and now Im fucking married... anytime it ended with one, another quickly jumped in and wanted me. Now they've all been very attractive women, I just wish I couldve slutted it up more.

not lifting enough

Attached: jobdesc.png (1032x2004, 262K)

> Tfw 28 and only had 2 relationships

Attached: 1524318518178.jpg (362x296, 20K)

That guy is actually based. Business is a bunch of bullshit, and 99% of CEOs need a literal and figurative punch to the face.

Why does pol always edit her pictures so her nose is far too big for her face, can you post the original op

>After you land your first job, you’ll forget you even felt this way and life will feel real again.

try working for government

get faang internship

Attached: googleintern.png (2074x1422, 2.02M)

>that daniel radcliffe face
so that was the OG tranny programmer?

>cs students regret not doing in college
Unironically have sex

GitLab is so fucking nice.
Though, it doesn't hurt to mirror a repository.
Even the Linux project mirrors their repository.

>2yrs xp
>55k
in what shithole?

I wonder if I should lie and say i'm a generic indigenous minority for sweet diversity creds

Well, I did drugs, sex, rock & roll, went on a protest march, hung out with cool kids and with total nerds, founded my own activities group and got a lab for that for two years, programmed Linux and Windows AND embedded.

What I didn't do was join a C# project. Yes, I know, proprietary shit. But now I see that's what a lob of job offers demand.

Attached: 1550228034948.jpg (452x423, 33K)

So, serious advice.

Don't aim to be the great software engineer.

Aim to be the great software engineering manager.

Get an MBA, jump around coding jobs for a couple of years. Get all the meme certifications.

Pick up an engineering manager gig and tell pajeets what to do, rather than compete with them each day.

For extra credit. Figure out early that company loyalty went out with the boomers. Once you stop learning from one company, move and move up.

Aim for 15-30 percent pay jumps and at least one leadership rank higher each jump

Graduate Dev to head of engineering or product owner or whatever shouldn't take longer than 7 or 8 years. Aim for maximum 35 years of age to reach that level, otherwise you'll be 45 and a team member for some dumbass webapp team

Clubs and activities are absolutely bullshit. Just be willing to move around. It'll be much more beneficial to move between cities ever couple of years and jump up levels

that sounds cool wow!
i wanna do some independent research but my depts funding sucks [not cs]

Well, the lab was already there. They were just looking for a guy who would be there for two or three hours each week in case new students got interested and came. It was an electronics lab with an assortment of parts and tools you could use for free, but there was no additional funding. If you needed special parts, you were expected to order them yourself on your own cost. But that was totally OK, we had fun all the same.

But is he being honest or has he just realized that niceness is a saturated market and is capitalizing on brutal honesty to stand out?

t. CRUD brainlet
t. fizzbuzzed UI/UX designer

sex

Attached: oops.jpg (394x412, 22K)

>she

I've made some small projects on my own, released one of them on the official platform's store. I think it was an important argument during an interview, maybe the one that got me my first job.

>leadership stuff
Oh fuck yes, people want soft skills rather than coding. No one expects you to know how to code out of the box, but every company wants you to have right mindset, optimally teamwork skills. I was just a cute little nerd with a happy face and lots of enthusiasm, but if you can somehow prove that you can work in team, absolutely go for it. Guaranteed job.

regret not learning math hard enough especially linear algebra
regret hurting a close friend because I was an insecure little bitch

Cope harder, leetcode is literally how you get into top tech

Because CS and IT in general has gotten super competitive because it's full of people who think it's a career path into getting rich quick (300k starting meme), a bunch of people in my course did a ton of "jobs" while in college, some with 4-5 """project manager""" credits on linkedin for """companies""" that literally dropped an app on the play store or app store and practically never updated it, i'm not sure if companies are more wise to this practice now however. But anyway, most of those """project managers""" ended up scraping through the course but somehow ended up falling upwards, either running VC funded companies or upper management at larger tech.

Personally i couldn't cope with all the big tech bullshit and ended up at a small scale bespoke firm.

>highest paid software jobs in the world
Dilate/cope

Faggot

how big should the github list be? Is it ok if I only have three things on it?

Bullshit advice.

>build up Github by contributing to OSS projects
>network with non autistic people
>go to meet-ups
>get part-time junior position working 1-2 days a week learning the ropes
>finish degree
>continue working junior position
>switch projects/jobs every 1-2 years
>get exposed to tons of tech and domains
>land senior job
>enjoy big $$$

This only works if you can handle management. It's going to be 90% politics, backstabbing and avoiding SJW cluster-fucks. Also, prepare to be outgunned by fucking insane people with no technical clue, because LOLFRIENDS WITH THE OWNER.

If you can't handle politics and/or stress, stay the fuck away from management.

>Signed, t. senior engineer who had a management gig for 1 year, but went back to engineering for more money and less retardation

Both, and it's a bold move while also being the right direction. That's why it's based. He's taking a risk at the truth without giving a fuck.

networking is the single most important thing to do.

The only person at my company who grinds leetcode is the tech support person who desperately wants to feel superior to other tech support people.

based

People in technical degrees undervalue the importance of networking. They think that some combination of good grades and 'skills' are all it will take to get a job, then are shocked when they can't get passed the HR wall after graduating.

Newsflash : technical jobs do not exist in a vacuum, they exist in a human context.

You will have to work with a team of engineers and deal with an entire company of non-technical morons. If someone at the company already knows you and can vouch for you, it is much easier to get passed HR.

Only brainlets can't handle politics.

Computers are incredibly easy to manipulate compared to people.

oh that's not as cool, but it still sounds fun. there's no counterpart in my discipline so now i don't have to be jelly :')
still wish my school had a good electronics lab so i could avoid buying a soldering iron

people aren't hard to manipulate either. Just flash dollar signs in front of their eyes and you get a pavlovian response.

Just got a job recently. Here are some things I wish I did after the fact.

>Put all your personal and chosen projects on Github. (So nothing that some kid can copy/paste and submit)
>Have at LEAST a 3.0 GPA to not get filtered and have some in an interview ask "Why is your GPA so low" at your 2.98
>In your data structures and algorithms classes, make all the covered ones in-class.
>Don't take only meme AI electives. Take something practical.
>Get an internship. Don't only apply to name-brand places. Apply E V E R Y W H E R E until you get one.

>Just do leetcode lmao
Not everyone is smart enough for that. There is a difference between passing exams, getting into some bullshit sales position and coding

Attached: 1564973770460.jpg (640x480, 33K)

I graduated last year and I gave up looking for programming jobs. Try IT Staffing instead which will eventually branch out in CCNA. If that still doesn't work for me rock bottom would be working at a call center and no one has anything good to say about the job.

Sure, you should try BPO companies like Accenture they are actually prioritising women in hiring Software Engineer jobs, the dumb thots during my university days got hired there and these people were only copying labs exercises back then and it makes me wonder if they are actually programming there even though their title is 'Associate Software Engineer'. Someone told me that their stats for hiring is if there are 10 applicants they will hire the only woman in the group and drop the others even though there are more qualified or equally qualified applicants.