If lisp is so great how come nothing is programmed with it?

if lisp is so great how come nothing is programmed with it?

Attached: 6matzw1vvpe11.jpg (1435x992, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/ai-society/the-lisp-approach-to-ai-part-1-a48c7385a913
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nothing that YOU know about...

Attached: 1564972232312.png (880x660, 117K)

e-emacs plugins!!

haha btfo go dialate

REEEEMAAACS

Attached: REEEEEEEE.jpg (325x325, 8K)

>how come nothing is programmed with it?
One of the more popular Computer Algebra systems is programmed in it.

Functional programming languages, including lisp, tend to prototype things that the mainstream languages incorporate a decade later. It's value is not in production, but in research.

lmao imagine thinking lisp is an FPL

Gaslighting is part of why Jow Forums is one of the worst boards.
(defun factorial (N)
(if (= N 1)
(* N (factorial (- N 1)))))

Attached: Angry.jpg (640x480, 38K)

There's nothing particularly functional about this. Really, Lisp isn't very functional outside of having lambdas and preferring immutability.
That might have been enough in the 80s when the only other relevant FPL was ML but we've moved on from then.

I read a story once where Lisp was once very successfully used to program space satellites.
Then the cniles took over because "Lisp is for AI and we're not doing that" and all Lisp code had to be thrown out.

It goes like that everywhere. It used to be "I'm not doing AI", now it's "I'm not THAT old", and it always boils down to "I don't like the way it looks on my screen". But really it's just shitty programmers trying to justify their incompetence.

>but we've moved on from then
>The definition of FPL is not immutable
Get off my lawn zoomer. Take your revisionism with you.

Attached: angry_ak.jpg (850x464, 262K)

Lisp isn't aiming to be functional (well, Clojure is, to some extent). It is aiming to be flexible, thus giving you all the freedom you need to write functional code, imperative code, or whatever other paradigm you choose.
Most people just happen to prefer functional style. But I agree that wrote shitty, non-functional code.

if women are so oppressed,
how come they live longer than men?

remacs is written in rust

Agreed, Lisps tend to be pretty multiparadigm.

Functional programming is not frozen in the 80s, senpai. Lisp has largely ignored innovations in FP since then. Furthermore Lisp has always supported many paradigms like describes.

>if lisp is so great how come nothing is programmed with it?
Uhh, AI is. Or at least was in the past, but this isn't exactly a straightforward topic or something you'll read about in every other click bait article.
medium.com/ai-society/the-lisp-approach-to-ai-part-1-a48c7385a913

One of the most important ai discoveries were written in lisp in the 70's, unfortunately due to storage failure it was mostly lost. I was tasked to recover it and it was possible to restore a vital part. Please see the line below for my work and what could be salvaged from this historical program:

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Does DOOM cease to be a first-person shooter when most new releases are centered on holding two guns and regenerating health? Just because it's archaic by modern FProgrammer sensibilities doesn't mean it stopped being a FPL. And splitting hairs about whether multi-paradigm languages are functional is irrelevant when the original point isn't dispelled by the presence of non FPL influence in the language.

>AI programmed in lisp for decades
>no advancements
>AI finally available in python in recent years
>amazing breakthroughs all over the place
really makes you think!

>remacs
oh shit, I didn't even knew it was a thing, lol

>the breakthroughs are due to python
The narcissism in python programmers is tremendous. Let's just bury the fact neural networks depend on immense hardware resources and computational time, and that they were abandoned for decades as a direct result of this dependency.

>the breakthroughs are due to python
I didn't say that, that's your conjecture.

The undeniable truth is that when hardware became good enough for those advancements, they were not made in lisp.

>muh satellites
they use python now

I don't like the way it looks. This argument is good enough. No amount of screeching from you about competence will bring life to the dead body of lisp.

I don't like the way algol derivatives look

>))))))

> ~>
*blocks your path*

Okay.

It is some mediocre times we are in.

Functional programming stuff are just for old uni professor who didn't code something interesting for like 20 years old

Flight search and pricing databases are written in lisp so whenever you buy a plane ticket you're depending on it

prove it