Why do many still use the MP3 format?

Why do many still use the MP3 format?

Attached: 1563943390815.jpg (1024x1600, 251K)

because it's standardized because of its file size
but that's also a good reason not to use it

because 99% of the population is tech illiterate

why do people still use jpeg?

Because no one cares about formats apart from does it work without having to do anything besides opening it. For downloaded music I have a few mp3s but mostly aac files, they work so why would I care which is which.

Because most cameras don't give you any other option. Plus websites like this one.
It's a similar situation to MP3, but not quite the same.

its the king

>Because most cameras don't give you any other option
What kind of first gen digital camera do you fucking use? A good chunk of fucking phone cameras even supports raw by now what the actual fuck are you on about?

Most cameras are phone cameras and anything other than jpeg is rare.

iOS supports RAW images natively since version 10 and Android since at least 2015. Most phones can very much save in other formats than JPEG.

But can they love? :(

why do so few use other than the MP3 format?

24/96 flac or bust

MP3 320 is sufficient and supported everywhere, therefore "worse is better" applies.

name one (1) thing that is commonly in use today and doesn't support AAC

raw is not really an image format since it have to be processed to be properly displayed.
Nobody actually use raw as final file, you only makes raw files to process them into jpg, tiff or whatever.
An actual raw file looks like this.
It's like a source code you have to compile into a binary if you prefer

Attached: bayer.gif (396x396, 51K)

Raw is a commonly used catch all term for a variety of as unaltered as possible image formats. But yes if you take raw literally then yes it look like your post.

what else am I gonna use

Any of the album torrents I download that is available in MP3 format only.
I download lossless when available if the source is vinyl or some potentially artifacted shit and I get unreasonably paranoid that the codec will fuck up, but I can't pass blind ABX tests so it'd be stupid to waste space in something I can't hear.

OGA Vorbis or Opus
Both are better than MP3, both can be read by any audio player nowadays

Because filesize is lower, and at 320kbps the quality is more than good enough if you're listening with crappy earbuds or speakers, and most people don't have high end audio equipment to benefit from lossless audio.

Because it makes you angry.

Attached: cool face.jpg (550x499, 43K)

If we can all play it, then it's the best format

Because... I already have a lot of mp3s? Are you stupid or something?

Attached: 1538842644419.jpg (720x300, 55K)

>he doesn't convert his MP3 to FLAC for increased quality

Because it's good for your health. I can play mp3 on almost everything. I don't have space for flac files, those are fucking huge.

You'll regret saving this trollface in .jpg in a few years when you open it for some nostalgia and realize jpeg rot has ate the most of it away.

What's wrong with mp3? as long as you don't re-encode it, it should be fine.
what.

My vehicle's 2016 model and can only support mp3

It's widely supported and "good enough". Other codecs don't give you a sufficiently large improvement to bother, and they're often not supported.

High kbps mp3 is just as good as m4a-aac if you're not an audiophile who's autistic about soundwaves or some shit

because 320kbps mp3 is nearly impossible to discern from lossless audio in a blind test, while being a fraction of the filesize
what's your case AGAINST mp3, op?

Attached: my-hero-academia-1161808-1280x0.jpg (1280x724, 73K)

he's purposely saying an incorrect thing for humorous effect

Attached: 1496762365125.jpg (699x485, 68K)

Because it's what they have always used.

This is false though. I can tell in the bass response with good headphones.

I do. Audible sound quality isn't worth the extra storage.

because it makes music, lol OP what a dumb question.

Because it's the de facto audio format. I personally use opus because I'm autistic.

The absolute state of Jow Forums - """technology"""

THE PATENTS HAVE EXPIRED

Best in quality / size ratio

That's the only legit answer desu.
But it only applies if you're selling music or hardware that can decode mp3.

>Best in quality / size ratio
lol no. it's not even in the top 3.

Because most normies will never get to experience good audio equipment
Opus annihilates mp3 in every way possible. If you're going to use shitty-lossy for muh filesize you would be using VBR instead of CBR encoding
Not even close. If you were ratio pinching you would use opus

It's the only format pic related read.
Also mp3 is opensource now.

Attached: portable-mp3-mini-usb-flash-mp3-player-lcd.jpg (800x800, 31K)

>waaaaah moooooooommmyyyyy they said audiophiles are retarded Waaaaaaaaaaaaah

I can't tell the difference, maybe because I use it for ASMR and though really cheap in-ear phones.

>literally "MP3/WMA" printed in large letters on the front of the device
>"MP3 is the only format it reads"

>trusting chinese products

Plays on absolutely everything
Uses very little processing power to decode, so your battery lasts longer than with AAC or Opus
Sounds great at 320 kbps
Utilities exist to trim, fade in/out and adjust volume on files without re-encoding

WMA sucks though

Macshit.

Patents are long expired, so it's as free as ogg.
Supported by literally everything.

By jumping over to AAC you're just continuing to allow yourself to be cucked by the Fraunhofer Institute.

The vast majority of people who claim to hear the difference between 320kbit or even 256kbit mp3 and flac are fooling themselves, or have gotten a poorly encoded track from some shitty site. Double-blind tests have shown this.

The vast majority of people don't even have equipment good enough to be able to tell the difference even if their ears are good enough.

Attached: crock-o-man-original.jpg (405x720, 39K)

My entire private CD collection is archived in MP3 plus my entire commercial stock music library(2000+ CDs). I'm not THAT bored to convert all the stuff.

isn't FLAC the best?

this

why do I regularly download 720p versions of old movies that have had FHD releases for years now?

Because I want to hoard my data efficiently and finding 100-300mb versions of my 4000 songs in FLAC is a pain in the ass.

Because the loss of information is trivial and meaningless to anyone who isn't a mouthbreathing autist whose wasted body should be dissolved into the onions vats.

if your a huge faggot, it is the best

those double blind tests are done using shitty equipment; not valid