Jow Forums's opinion of the Mac Mini?

What does Jow Forums think of the mac mini? Of course Apple sucks and everything, and is commanded by a sodomite, but everyone should at least admit that OSX is pretty good software. And the Mac Mini is the cheapest way to get ahold of it besides stealing a mac from your university. Are they worth the price, new or used?

Attached: 007-mac-mini-2018.jpg (1198x675, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J-wHQEiDKr4
simplynuc.com/islay-canyon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you actually need something in that form factor, it's actually a solid machine.

Especially if you need 10gbps networking.

You can build a hackintosh nuc with a better spec than the lowest spec mac mini for half the price.

Only a moron would buy a mac for home use at this point.

I didn't realize that, could you perhaps point me towards a tutorial on how to do that?

Lets see it then.

Especially with 10gbps networking.

I'm not a fan of MacOS, but I guess if you absolutely NEED it and this is the cheapest option, then the conclusion is self-evident.

Even apple aside, I hate "mini" computers because unless it's an actual laptop, you gain nothing from it being in a small form factor. You just get the downsides of a laptop with the downsides of a desktop but with none of the benefits of either.

The NUCs are all larger for comparable specs, the Mac mini is the smallest formfactor for it's power.

If you're fine with that, NUCs are an option, though it's nowhere near half the cost, maybe 30% cheaper though.

It's very small and generally "just werks", while still maintaining some degree of upgradeability and serviceability. You can stuff 2 SODIMMs and 2 2.5" drives in there.

To be fair, no NUC that I know of comes with 10gbps networking, AND 4 Thunderbolt 3 connectors like the Mac mini.

Not to mention, the mac mini is simply smaller than almost any NUC on the market with that level of CPU horsepower.

>OSX is pretty good software
hahahahaha
aaaaaaaaahahahahhahaha

fucking faggot

I'm guessing you've never owned a Mac. I'm not saying that OSX justifies the price of a mac, but if it was comparable to Windows 10 in price, most people would use it instead.

>pretty good software

Attached: 1546660284968.webm (990x720, 2.45M)

No software is without its vulnerabilities, and while that may be an egregious one, I am talking about for everyday use. OSX is intuitive and justwerks most of the time, which are the main reason that people like it.

>vulnerability needs physical access to exploit
wow it's nothing

They are great home media centers

Old, also fixed like 2 mayor releases ago

if you're total noob dont listen to

Attached: 1533941827382.png (828x1418, 166K)

fuck off, iJeet

>root access vunerability
>have to wait 2 major releases to fix it
iToddlers BTFO

For real though why is the macshit mactard mini cooper such a horrid steaming pile of dogshit? You would THINK Apple would at LEAST not fuck this up and yet they did. GG

Attached: mac_mini_vs_hades_nuc.png (1625x1568, 915K)

The base model one isnt, pretty sure the gen 8 i5 nuc shits all over the basemodel mac mini for about 300 dollars less, the only issue is less ports, and no 10gbe, nothing a usb c adaptor cant fix though.

the non gaming nucs are way small than a mac mini, like 2 inches by 2 inches by 4 inches.

Why did you use the lowest end CPU for the mac?

It can come with a 6 core i7 that can clock up to 4.6Ghz

>nothing a usb c adaptor cant fix though
You'll never see the performance you'd see with an integrated NIC.

seething mass-replying poorfag pajeet

Because it thermal throttles and overheats THE LEAST. Even then clocks drop to 3GHz after a few minutes.

I'm actually using one right now. Not by choice tho, parents got it for me for my birthday. It's an absolute piece of shit tby senpai.

You could use a usb network adaptor, the gen 8 nucs all support those 32gb ddr4 samsung so dimms too, so the 300-350 you save on the base model build/hackintosh you could spend on 64gb of ram.

What does the base model have 8gb? The only advantage the mac mini has is more thunderbolts.

>Because it thermal throttles and overheats THE LEAST. Even then clocks drop to 3GHz after a few minutes.
So what? For most tasks the mac mini is going to do, burst performance is far more important.

It thermal throttles to around 3.3-3.5Ghz, which is still above it's base clock of 3.2Ghz, on all 6 cores.

That aint bad, it's throttling, but it's not TERRIBLE.

Burst of 4.6Ghz with a steady ~3.4Ghz all core load? That's solid.

Get a NUC and put Linux on it.

>OSX is pretty good software
except that apple is heavily into the practice of planned obsolescence. All of my mac products i bought years ago run half the speed as they used to and just monitoring the process cpu usage you can tell that they really don't give a fuck about older models. The OS support lifetime is about 1-2 years and you have no choice to upgrade because they'll stop major security updates. Linux also runs like shit with missing drivers on mac hardware. Good luck with that.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

So spend 400 dollars more for the basemodel, ill spend that money saved on 64gb ram instead of 8gb.

Good luck getting that from apple without paying 750 dollars.

>The OS support lifetime is about 1-2 years and you have no choice to upgrade because they'll stop major security updates
what are you talking about?

I'm using a macbook pro from 2013 and it's still great.

>Good luck getting that from apple without paying 750 dollars.
Why would i do that when it has user replaceable DIMMs just like your NUC?

They are over priced. New or used imac is the best deal on Apple hardware.

It's complete and utter dogshit compared to
FOR EXAMPLE, notice ANYTHING about the I don't know, fucking GPU and vRAM?

>It's complete and utter dogshit compared to
>4c/8t @ 3.1Ghz base and 4.2Ghz boost
vs
>6c/12t @ 3.2Ghz base and 4.6Ghz boost

Lol, imagine being a retard.

Makes a change appfel usually solder them on, but the point still stands, you pay almost 400 more for the same spec, once you priced in the ram its still going to be 400 more. Not sure what your point is.

>Why did you use the lowest end CPU for the mac?

Because the base model mac mini is approx the price of the hades canyon (minus ram/hd)

Those 6 cores throttle to under 3GHz < 4 cores at 4.2 GHz

So nobody is going to mention here how massively dogshit the GPU on this thing is? K

After 5 consecutive Cinebench runs it stablized at 3.3-3.4Ghz

What gpu is it? the 8th gen nucs all have a iris plus 655 as standard, even the measly i3.

That isn't in any way indicative or real world efficient stresses. Try prime95 with small FFTs with AVX enabled.

That's the kind of sould crushing load something as simple as video encoding will put on CPUs.

see

An hour later still no sign of a tutorial that doesn't take 20 hours to complete for an unstable osx install that you have to babysit forever as updates keep nuking your system.
But just build a hackintosh dude SPECS they're like so much better when you buy intel trash with glowing gamer skulls on it

Oh damn, its the 630, yikes.

Why not windows 10 LTSC?

OK, shit you convinced me bro, ill buy a MAC instead.

Nope.

>But just build a hackintosh dude SPECS they're like so much better when you buy intel trash with glowing gamer skulls on it

That's the mentality of poorfags who can't afford the good stuff so just have to trash it to ease their butthurt, kinda funny really watching them sqauwk like 5 year olds

To be fair, anybody who buys apple products has more money than brains. user, do YOU have more money than brains?

Attached: average_mactard_on_his_itard_bike.jpg (410x550, 241K)

poorfags, lel

>hurr durr buy a mac because its better because its expensive.

If you are going to LARP at least try harder.

Running a mid 2010 iMac. It still works, runs the latest MacOS and performs even better than when it was running OSX lion.

If I didn't need a serious upgrade for work it would last me another 3-4 years easily.

Holy Shit, iTODDLERS BTFO in this thread, kek.

My point - proven
go be poor elsewhere children

Windows 10 LTSC would be a better experience on an i3 dual-core sandy bridge chinkpad desu.

t. L2 mac AND pc technician

Late to the party but I've got a 2014 i5 mini as a home server handling torrenting, an iTunes/Plex server, handbraking files all the time (itt hoarder) and a few other things like acting as a homebridge server. It was cheap-as second hand, i just replaced the hdd with an SSD and it's been constantly on for three years without any issues. So it can be good. What i wouldn't use it for is any professional work, despite what their marketing says. It's for casuals or server use.

Attached: macusers.jpg (480x320, 24K)

here's why every apple user is a fucking retard:
>sees apple ads in TV about how user friendly macs are ("computers for the rest of us", aka for idiots)
>friends recommend apple products because they are apple users themselves
>"minimalistic" design appeals to the retard, he can't predict that the materials used are designed to be so flimsy to break, also ignores how other products are more ergonomic to use since those aren't just slabs of aluminium
>compares $2000 applel product to the only other laptops he's ever used: $300 walmart trash and is amazed how ""premium"" apple is
>begins to use mac OS and since it's a bit more user friendly he believes it's the greatest thing ever
>now stuck in the apple ecosystem, has to buy a new model every 3 years because some of the hardware broke (planned obsolescence)
>likely a dumb poorfag so he has to take a loan just to buy the fucking computers
>even recommends apple to friends and tries to justify his position with unrealistic claims ("muh special functions only apple has", "I have a higher status in society if people see my computer", "it just werks", "muh special application NEEDS mac OS")

>worst of all, he doesn't even notice how much he has been cucked

tl;dr macfags are fucking retarded

Attached: lagOS12.jpg (1170x1618, 525K)

youtube.com/watch?v=J-wHQEiDKr4

mac mini standard model $799
nuc i5 8th gen $448

>no 10GB/s
>only 2 Thunderbolt ports
>In that configuration probably twice the price of the mini on the left side
Are you actually arguing for the Mac mini?

The one on the right looks so much cooler too I bet I could run overwatch on this little baby

Attached: 1515328711961.jpg (1536x2048, 498K)

Hades canyon is basically the same price as the base model mac mini, though the hades canyon doesnt come with ram/hd

look at the GPU specs

Why pay MORE for a GPU 20X weaker and slower? Remember gaming isn't the only use for a beefy GPU you closet /v/tard.

ironic thing is that faggot actually has a macbook pro, lol.

Attached: mac meme dude.jpg (1000x736, 133K)

not for me, I have a macbook air 2013, its slower and overheats on the latest OS, this never happened with Mac OSX Mavericks, the OS that it came with where everything ran smoothly and battery lasted the entire day. I would still use it if it weren't for the fact that they stopped support for major security updates.

The same happend with my ipad and iphone, it would run flawlessly with the operating system it came with, but with each upgrade it becomes slower and uses more battery. For the macbook I've tried using several linux installations, and even windows, but they all have terrible compatibility with apple hardware.

Attached: gabriel_dropout_45-646x1024.jpg (646x1024, 296K)

Dam, how much more of a mactard macfaggot can one be? Did he set the world record for that?

he posts here though

Attached: mac meme dude meme.jpg (1000x3000, 458K)

Have you tried LTSC windows 10? I got it to work with an old mactrash air but then the battery blew up and I didn't feel like getting fucked in the ass for the repairs so I threw it in the trash (literally).

even the $450 dollar i5 nuc hackintosh build has a better gpu, beats the base model in real world performance.

Sure it has less thunderbolts and no 10gbE, but are extra thunderbolts and 10gbE worth almost $400 more?

As was said, you could spend $300 on 64gb of ram and a better ssd still be equal in price to the 799 mac mini but have 8x more memory, a faster ssd, better performance and a better gpu. the question is can you live with a couple less thunderbolts and having to use a 10gbE adaptor?

I think the base mac mini should be more like $599 then it might be worth considering.

Attached: dead.png (633x772, 10K)

hes in this thread right now, lel

i configured my hackintosh 5 years ago by copying 3 files and havent touched it since and it still works perfectly on the latest version

if you put openSUSE on it, it will run very fast.

and very hot, but whatever

Attached: bestsuse.png (802x600, 190K)

Let's get this straight.
Macs are only good for their software like imovie and garageband.
Now the os itself is fucking shit. Only reason to use it is to port to the app store since it is necessary for some fucking reason.
Just get an older macbook it works as well as the new shit and doesn't require a keyboard and mouse combo with a screen. You can get a used macbook online for less than 100 dollars.
Only get a mac mini if you don't have access to a shit macbook and/or you have to port something to mac os and app store.

>Have you tried LTSC windows 10?
in fact I have, it still overheats and runs just as bad with a full installation of Windows 10. Theres no saving this macbook unless you upgrade it to the latest OS but its still slower and overheats . I've tried Linux, but theres too many complications with driver support and then you realize you're just better off with latest macOS.

>Now the os itself is fucking shit.
no

that gay as shit skull lmaoooo

Anons how is performance in linux on the mac mini?

Not an argument.
With linux and even windows it is easy to edit the os and the files in it.
With mac os you are forced in this baby mode where to install basic shit you have to.install apples dev kits (not the name but it is what it is) to install basic shit like git. With linux you just type sudo apt install git and Windows you install the exe file.

Basically you don't know shit about the os, so it's shit

NUC:
> mobile quad core i7 (cope edition)
> gaymen design
> plastic shit
> huge power brick on the power cable

Mac Mini:
> desktop 6-core i7
> professional design
> aluminium case
> PSU is internal

your choice

Not to mention native apple support due to it being an official apple product.

Sure you probably COULD get a NUC running MacOS, but it's nowhere near as easy, especially since getting a signed ISO requires you to already own an existing Mac that can sign the latest ISO for you to use on the NUC hackintosh.

it's not nearly as simple as the retards in this thread are implying.

No one wants to use fagOS.

It's great operative system

You're wrong, but no one is forcing you to use MacOS, the OP specifically was asking for MacOS.

>> aluminium case
>> PSU is internal
Thanks, I hate both of those things. Now I can officially cross the mac mini off my wishlist.

Not for the mini, but for SFF in general, it becomes a fun task to build a machine that is small, powerful, quiet and runs fairly cool. All can be done with smart choice of cooling components, good cable mgmt, etc. Any retard can put together a machine with a ratsnest of cables inside its metal shell.

For the mini particularly, it offers a high degree of post-purchase modularity compared to other mac options. You can upgrade graphics with egpu, you can upgrade storage through any of the 4 tb3 ports or usb3 ones. You can directly upgrade RAM. Only thing you are stuck with is the CPU, which is mostly the case with desktops (people tend to replace the entire computer when they replace the cpu because often that means also replacing the mobo and RAM).

The new nucs are shit. Islay canyon or whatever they are. Soldered RAM and low tier discrete graphics.

Late 2012 Mac Mini Servers are decent. Quad core, USB3, 2 drives, and can be had for fairly cheap.

I'm using 8 of them for some testing. Though getting mine for $Free.99 didn't hurt.

They're mini-NUCs, the Hades Canyon NUCs are specifically higher specced higher powered NUCs, they're a niche within the NUC niche.

What the fuck are you on about?

Whiskey Lake-U and Cannon Lake-U are the only two i series NUC's with onboard RAM. And have you ever used one of them? The Cannon Lake i3 isn't terrible.

simplynuc.com/islay-canyon/

Underage b& detected.

>GG
>That skull
Underage confirmed

>simplynuc.com/islay-canyon/
Yeah, and? These are Whiskey Lake-U's.

They're fine for what they are.

>increased price
>soldered ram
>no tb3

Just no. Go shill elsewhere.

Are you literate?

>but everyone should at least admit that OSX is pretty good software.
No.

Is there a way to turn off the glowing skull of death because now I really want that NUC desu. The whole reason I wanted the mac mini was to do some 4K video editing but I had no idea the important stuff could be accelerated by a GPU that much.

Attached: thinkingbird.jpg (1024x768, 218K)

bumping for this