How do you feel about having an useless meme port on your high end GPU?

how do you feel about having an useless meme port on your high end GPU?

Attached: virtual link.png (881x482, 431K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#DP_PWR_Pin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How is it useless?

Thunderbolt 3 supports DP 1.4

>Properly implemented USB-C
>useless meme port
The absolute state of (You).

whenever it can pass 100w, it will be pretty useful as a one-cable solution to power and send data to your monitor

feels good man

What do you mean? Now I can play Candy Crush in 4k.

then use a dp cable lmao

>power and video from one cable
>this is bad

Can it power up a monitor without needing a plug? Usb-c should provide up to 100w, even high end high freq monitors can't exceed that.

>even high end high freq monitors can't exceed that
Sure they can.

Hell, even 60hz panels can exceed that.

The new 31" sony reference display peaks at over 350w power draw in HDR mode.

can you actually power the monitor from the gpu

>Let's pass another hundred watts through a voltage converter on the GPU which is already thermally constrained
>Let's also pass that hundred watt load through a DC cable with variable length and QC so that idiots can potentially fry their expensive GPUs
>All that just to get rid of a power adapter which you never touch anyway

Technically, it can be done, but it's stupid, for the reasons stated above. I bet it can power one of those 15inch portable monitors though.

>future proof hardware is bad
More and more displays are being released with USB-C connector, what the fuck are you even trying to say here you absolute fucking embecile.

Attached: ports.jpg (700x444, 25K)

>food and drink from one tube
>this is bad

Meant for

>Let's pass another hundred watts through a voltage converter on the GPU which is already thermally constrained
No idiot, it will pass 12 V straight from the PSU, and the monitors power supply will handle the rest

get a more energy efficient monitor lol

It's supposed to be for VR, where there's not even a VR Device on the market that actually uses VirtualLink
It's my favorite meme

>i have no idea how electricity works

what the fuck kind of stupid nigger comparison is this
>Oh no you can't have DATA and POWER through the same cable because the monitor MIGHT THINK IT TASTES BAD
I don't mix coffee with my food because that would be disgusting, but a monitor is the a fucking person and cannot feel disgust you dumb nigger

I can wipe my sweaty salty balls all over the monitor and it won't even know

>an useless
nice English retard

What the fuck are you on about you absolute fucking troglodyte? Acer KG271A 27" 1080p 144Hz monitor draws ~21 W.
And guess what, the 4k 144hz 400 Nits models don't draw that much more either.

>useless meme port
>It's supposed to be for VR
fitting

that's a good thing heres why

that;s what you get for buying basedvidia

>future proof
It's a dumb gimmick. Just use DP.

>Jow Forums - Technology

DP is shit

At least it works with an adapter so it's not entirely useless.

Are you a literal retard? You understand that a 100w device still requires 100w regardless of the voltage?

aware me

But it's not going through the GPU's VRM like the other user said so who cares? It goes straight onto the card and out the port.

Except that your point was that you needed to pass 100W through the GPU VRM which isn't true

that is DP, just over usb

>food analogy
>doesn't even make sense
fucking burgers

Imagine being at computers.

How can you tell that he's English?

Tell me why i should fucking care? idgaf about hdmi, DP or USB-C as long as it works.

So? Just use DP over DP.

one of my panels eats roughly 200w. i have 3. so yeah get fucked wattlet

I like it.

They put that on there, but removed dvi ports. Can't even hook up my old monitors without an adapter

I too hate having more features on my cards.
Everytime I look at the products I buy, I think, damn, if only I could do less with them.

Good. Fuck DVI and fuck niggers.

> ITT - Stop liking what I don't like (and can't afford)

>just buy and use a different cable for no reason lmao

I'm well aware, I replied to your original claim that the GPU would have to do voltage regulation.
Now you're backtracking to the cable not being able to handle 12V 8A or 100W.
Do you even know how electricity works?

You can use your phone/tablet as display, sounds nice.

Why 100W? Decent monitors use, like, about 35W.

Not that guy, but 100w USB-PD is 20V only. The GPU would have to have some sort of voltage converter if it were to be USB-PD spec compliant.

I would assume for MST support.

I hate it. Displayport sucks.

>hah, he misspelled a word, his argument has been nullified!

>It's a useless meme port because I say so!
>argument

USB-C monitors exist and they're not expensive or out there.

it's funny because the op is actually grammatically correct

Turning 12V to 20V is trivial
There is already several power rails on a GPU, one more isn’t a problem
In terms of minor rails one for USB PD would be one of the bigger ones, rivaling the GPU memory for the amount of power that has to be delivered

Is USB-C the future? Seems like all companies agree to an extent it should be used. Just make a standard and stick with it Jesus Christ people. I'm annoyed Display Port is ignored even though it had huge potential...

Are there any downsides to USB-C or any significant things to note?

the only downside is that companies are free to do whatever the fucky implementation they want with usb-c. so you never know if a usb-c device will work on your machine

Those are all low voltage rails. A boost converter has a significant power loss that will need to be dissipated as heat.

The spec allows absolutely everything this side of piping through hot coffee through the cabling, but the absolute vast majority of it is strictly optional. Is that USB-C hole just plain ol' USB 3.1 data, or is it one of the faster variations (such as USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, who comes up with this naming jesus fuck) or even Thunderbolt? Does it support that DisplayPort piping thing? Or analog audio? How about power delivery, and does the cable even work properly or will it just fucking fry $1,500 worth of electronics when you jam it in? Oh yeah, what about those proprietary bullshit extensions some manufacturers just piled on to fuck with you? Who knows, roll the dice!

It seems like the whole thing was purpose built from the ground up to undo decades of "square plug into square hole" convenience and force you to buy everything from the same manufacturer or spend needless time just figuring out the standards if the damn thing works. It's just bad ideas all the way down.

don't worry, faggot, you can't afford that card anyway
imagine getting this card and still using dvi or vga screens
i actually wish my 1080ti had this for my lg 4k screen

Hmmm If only GPUs had a large apparatus for dissipating heat

Even funnier because the retard managed to commit a grammar mistake on a simple 3-word sentence while trying to call the other retard out.

>Better than HDMI and just as good as DVI
>Shit

Attached: 0467903568.jpg (695x712, 125K)

>How about power delivery, and does the cable even work properly or will it just fucking fry $1,500 worth of electronics when you jam it in?
This is also part of the spec, there's a handshake involved to provide power.

I know, it's a shame VESA stereo glasses didn't really take off.

Attached: 375_3101_1__29512.1363808640.jpg (960x1280, 244K)

ew

>Properly implemented
Valve cancelled the Virtuallink cable for Index, stating:
>[...]Our current testing indicates the VR connection may fail to establish in a reliable manner.[...]

>DP
>better
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#DP_PWR_Pin

>Standard DisplayPort cable connections do not use the DP_PWR pin. Connecting the DP_PWR pins of two devices directly together through a cable can create a short circuit which can potentially damage devices, since the DP_PWR pins on two devices are unlikely to have exactly the same voltage (especially with a ±10% tolerance).[44] For this reason, the DisplayPort 1.1 and later standards specify that passive DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables must leave pin 20 unconnected.[9](§3.2.2)
>However, in 2013 VESA announced that after investigating reports of malfunctioning DisplayPort devices, it had discovered that a large number of non-certified vendors were manufacturing their DisplayPort cables with the DP_PWR pin connected

Absolutely brilliant design. /s

it's for virtual reality headsets you dumb fucks.
they're not gonna make them with usb/hdmi breakout cables anymore.

i dont know, what is it like?

Attached: ports.jpg (800x533, 48K)

I hope everyone just standardises on HDMI 2.1 soon. HDMI seems to be better than DP in pretty much every way (better connector, no issues with different types of cable) and historically DP's only advantage has been support for higher refresh rates. 2.1 evens the field there so I really can't see any reason to keep using DP.

>tfw DVI Boomee

I'm still annoyed DP even exists and people didn't just wait for HDMI revisions.

HDMI was never very good, we only accepted it after all the media companies ganged up like a group of black men and shoved their HDMI cocks down our throats. We already had a perfectly good connector with DVI; even today, video cards all come with DVI, and I personally still use it.

The ONLY innovation that HDMI brought to the table was audio support, which made it nice for Bluray players, video game consoles, etc. Other than that, it's dogshit and only exists because of companies trying to stop video capture shit with HDCP (and failing miserably).

Without some VR setup, what can I use that port for right now? Does it even do anything?

It’s only dogshit because it traditionally lags behind DP (2.1 comes out better than current DP version but isn’t widely implemented yet), it’s fine otherwise and supports everything people might want to use
HDCP also isn’t limited to HDMI, its first ever version started on DVI and by 2006 it was on displayport

These threads are my favorite because a large portion of Jow Forums shows how stupid they are when they dig their heels in and resist change. Just add it the the list of one of the many ways that the future is going to pass you by.

Digital audio over the same interface was a revolution. DP was just more of the same which is why normals don't give a shit about it and I have yet another stupid cable I have to deal with.

charge your phone with a usb-c to usb-c cable

>new is better
>squak squak dinosaurs
I hope they payed you for that post at least, meanwhile things regress and you call it progress for anything other than shareholders.

>things regress because they're different and I don't understand it
is it baby duck syndrome or are you a 2nd wave boomer? either way it's hilarious watching you always lose

>a shared bus that can't even traffic shape for bandwidth or latency
>high res monitors
Good luck with that.

Literally anything that isn’t more of the same is a regression to faggots like you
Also actually thinking paid shills post here is just this board’s version of da joos at this point

>rent everything from the cloud, own nothing
>overgeneralize all hardware
>lock content into rights hellhole walled gardens
If that's progress to you then you're a shit eater.

I still haven't even tried mine. Might try it with my ultrawide if it's any good, but I really doubt it. I'll stick to DP cables desu.

>/s
what the fuck is this

so let's add more heat and waste more electricity because having an extra cable is a world-ending abomination!

Literal reddit shit

HDMI has a better connector than DP? how? I use both, they both seem to be just a connector, they don't seem to have any striking feature for one to edge out over another.

HDMI requires a license while DP is open source iirc, making DP much better but it won't be a standard much like HDMI is the de facto standard since everyone uses HDMI now

DP connectors can't be unplugged without pressing down on a latch. That sounds fine until you're reaching awkwardly under a desk trying to unplug them from a GPU surrounded by a nest of 5 other wires. You can either:
>press on the latch without trying to support the rest of the connector, at the risk of damaging either the cable or the port on your card
>try to get your fingers around the back of the connector, which is often not possible depending on the geometry of your case
>or try to semi-support the connector by gripping its sides- good luck if you have other cables connected to either side of it
It's the very definition of a first-world problem, but it makes you ask WHY? Nobody has any issues with HDMI. Nobody has ever had an HDMI plug come out accidentally. Why would you add a latch to that?

>DP connectors can't be unplugged without pressing down on a latch
Never experienced this in my life. None of the GPUs I have used from either AMD or NVidia have ever had these.

then your cables haven't had the latch, because that's where it catches.

I've ground off the hooks on several sets od DP cables I own (usually only on the PC side tho)

The latch is on the cable not the GPU

How much power does a normal display use? If it's less than 100w you could power it over USB-C which would be nice.

Ah, I figured it was the port. I usually just go with AmazonBasics for my DP cables. Works well enough. No latch and they last as long as the monitor unless you're constantly fiddling with them.

indifferent

Will it really? I don't have any USB-C to USB-C cables to try.