So what is actually a car computer?

So what is actually a car computer?
Is it just for control?

Attached: car-computer-inside.jpg (400x332, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
youtube.com/watch?v=Ooou16vyM5o
youtube.com/watch?v=e7A1hhx7f0A
motec.com.au/gp-models/currentrange-m1series-gp/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The on-board computer controls things like locking mechanisms, temperature, systems like a digital dashboard, and in more modern cars even things like the brakes and gas.

Honestly these days, if a hacker broke into your car they could accellerate you into your nearest tree and you would have no choice in the matter. Always buy a well-running shitter.

i think the computer controls your engine, not just doors, even very old cars have computers

In the old days it was fuel injection only but nowadays a bunch of things, they even come with "drive-by-wire" now, as some user previously said in theory some hacker (or glownigger) can even drive you into a tree.

basically an arduino with 10 times as many i/o channels.
controls literally everything in a modern car. from door locks, to air fuel mixture, to ignition timing, to the reclining seats.

So these things can be accessed remotely?

Old car computers control engine timings and record odometer/etc. New cars like Tesla have most of the car primarily controlled through computer.

(OP) #
It is called as “head-unit”.
It have plenty input for the sensors, and many output for the status leds and so on. It runs a software ehich takes the signal data, converts it, checks it and interjects or displays it.
It also runs a so called “watchdog”, which checks for the instuments in your car and it is responsible to make sure the status LEDs and other user faced feedback devices ACTUALLY working.
You know a LED can die easily, your instrument maybe does not even reacts to the signal (speedometers tends to freeze, yes) so it checks their power consumption to make sure they actually working (it does plenty indirect checks, crazy, if you asks me), and reboots the non working devices or stops the car. You dont want to let your engine die because overheating just because the overheating statusled doesnt working, which costs ~ 30 usd to swap, while an engine over 10 thousand, even more.

it has a (((black box)))

Some calls it as MCU too, i forgot it.

A head unit is a stereo, this is called an ECU and the rest of your post is equally pants on head retarded

no

not on my bmw

Anything that communicates wirelessly with anything else can be hacked remotely. Adding CAN bus and having the computer do literally everything with no standalone processes just makes the system even more vulnerable to control.

It's a computer like any other.

Only if your cars bluetooth or LTE can access the canbus which is pretty retarded but some jeeps or something have some exploits for it.

lol
youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

OP means the ECU, not head unit
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Attached: 1563754551961.jpg (886x1002, 524K)

The “head-unit” is NOT a stereo. Maybe i made a mistake with the MCU, but Daimler calls this stuff as head-unit”, for sure.

That has nothing to do with the ECU but rather the RF key the car uses, pretty much all it does is amplify the signal from the key usually hanging by the door to the car thinking that the keys are within the range of the car letting it start.
Search for car head unit and see what comes up you fucking third world street shitter.

Not on old systems. Definitely on new cars.

pretty fucking cool imo
fuck them for stealing but overall pretty interesting

Yep, it's radio related stuff not computer related. Someone stole my sister Renault Megane that way :( fucking gangs from Eastern Europe.

All you need to do to avoid this is to not keep your keys near the door, put them near your coffee maker or by your bed near your phone to mitigate these sort of attacks

Tuning ECUs looks like a cool hobby.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ooou16vyM5o

Yeah, but the point is the fact that it has so many wireless access points directly linked to CAN. The radio is probably linked to CAN these days. Any channel that interacts with the ECU can be exploited. That's just the only video I could find.

Old cars (like 70s and early to mid 80s non japanese cars) uses relay.

So you are telling me,this frickin metal box, hidden in the car with plenty cables, which does this things can’t be called as head unit?
To me who literally developing the neighbouring parts?
You saying it is impossible for this box to do the serve the entertrainment purposes too?
Meh, mate.

This guy messes a lot with stock GM ecus for tuning. youtube.com/watch?v=e7A1hhx7f0A Pretty sure this video is talking about what ecus have flex fuel sensors for e85.

If the engineers were not retarded non critical systems should not have write access to the canbus but should only be able to read from sensors. The only part that really bothers me is the increase of having LTE modems in cars. That is fucking scary.

No you daft fucking cunt, its called the engine control unit not a fucking head unit.

> So what is actually a car computer?
Something boomers don’t understand and thinks are unreliable trash as he sits out with the hood open to his 68 Camero, hovering over his carburetor with a screwdriver and a can of starting fluid

this poster has got to be the most retarded one ive seen on Jow Forums

logged in to say this

Then i misunderstoos something, my condolences.

It doesn't bother me either really, just answering that other guy's question of whether or not it was possible. What would be the point really other than for theft.

Anyways OP, if you're interested in a more hobbyist level of engine management check out microsquirt. Just a simple ignition and fuel computer. Or EDIS which is just a simple standalone ignition module.

There are multiple ECU units for different electronic functions. The reason why modern cars shit the bed faster is because most electronic functions are centralized into the infotainment console to a point an actual operating system is required.

Isn't messing with your ECU dangerous? You ruin something and your car fails and you crash or something?

You guys don't mind paying extra for to unlock features in software do you? You're not poorfags, right?

Attached: 13150[1].png (1033x775, 875K)

Computers are on off switches, go put the rest together

Quite literally incorrect.

>$4k
Does it really make any difference?

being able to tune an engine for different components does if you install different components or remove something like EGR
but if you just leave it, unless you drive a mememobile like a 86/brz then it's not worth it at all

*dabs on motecfags*

Attached: syvecs_s7.jpg (1024x941, 70K)

Not really. If youre working on a car new enough where it controls that much it's probably not easily tunable anyway.

The worst you'll do is break your engine, especially in a forced induction car or with a really uneducated tune (ridiculous timings etc). I guess that could cause you to lose brake vacuum which makes them harder to press and you could crash if you're not expecting it

No. It's only for race cars that need to control literally every aspect of the software. With high-end ECUs you're paying for the plug and play aspect mostly. They've already worked out all the details, interfacing with various PDMs and controls, the tuning, software and firmware, etc.

motec.com.au/gp-models/currentrange-m1series-gp/
They're taking the piss with all the variants they offer. The competition doesn't rip you off quite so blatantly. Unless your tuner is a fussy cunt who thinks he's Shane T and won't play with anything else, there is usually a better option.

> The reason why modern cars shit the bed faster is because most electronic functions are centralized into the infotainment console to a point an actual operating system is required.
In reality despite complex ECU systems cars have only gotten more reliable as time has passed
Electronics being so unreliable is a spook from the 80s when early fuel injection was genuinely shit
Anything short of the actual ECU that controls spark and fuel going out means the car will still start and function even if some features are unavailable and performance is reduced

Sure but imagine you choke the car and it stall while you're driving. The brake and steering wheel get stiff as fuck and you won't be able to do anything.

You can stall your car by disconnecting your MAF sensor alone, so I don't think it's that crazy.

If you stall your engine, it doesn't stop turning immediately. It keeps spinning and generating vacuum for your power brakes, and keeps driving your power steering pump.

If you blow up the motor properly, you could put enough oil down to crash, and I guess if you had an auto or a DSG you could make the transmission engage two gears at once, lock the driveline and crash that way.

never mind me

>You can stall your car by disconnecting your MAF sensor alone, so I don't think it's that crazy.
Bus rider detected
MAF sensors are not a critical sensor
What do you think happens when a MAF goes out? Oh that’s right the car still runs and throws a code because the computer knows the tuning of the engine and can fallback to a factory tune if sensors are unavailable
Most sensors on modern EFI are strictly there to adjust to environmental variables for better fuel efficiency and emissions, only a few are actually needed to run the engine such as crank and cam sensors

One time, several years ago, I had a bad engine gasket and the car just shut off while I was driving. I was very lucky nobody was around, the brake wasn't really working without the engine running.

Sounds like what happened to M. Hastings and Paul Walker.

Check in some old car, disconnect the MAF and see if it keep going.
Since we are talking bout messing with ECUs, I assume you're talking about older cars.

CHECKEN EM ZEROZ

also, yes, that's how I learned to program, by making small services that I never released outside of github

>the brake wasn't really working without the engine running.

Yes it was.
You just have to press harder because no power breaking.
Shit was on your exam.

Probably, but it is pretty intense when you're out there.

The most pants shitting experience I ever had was driving the world's ricketiest box van loaded full of car parts through a compound of tightly parked brand new cars.

The dash was lit up like a christmas tree and it kept dying. Without power brakes, and 4 way discs, the thing would take like 200ft to stop from 20mph. It died on a downhill corner literally inches from a car, and it was only because I was already hanging off the broken power steering I didn't go into a car.

10 minutes later, parts of one of the glow plugs started to fall into the engine, causing the thing to sound like a train and shoot plumes of black smoke all over the compound.

From that day on I've relished power brakes and power steering.

I’ve done it on my 2000 crown Vic for shits and giggles and it still ran
Don’t know if 2000 would be considered old yet, the platform goes back to 1992

this thread is full of some of the most ignorant shit i've ever read on Jow Forums and it makes me wonder how many underaged posters lurk here because i'm positive some of you people have never even looked under the hood of a car let alone know what the fuck you're talking about

almost every car made in the 90s is controlled by a computer but it is more like a microcontroller than a desktop processor and it is purpose built to direct current through specific wires and is integrated almost inseparably from the engine and electronic accessories. they are closed systems. its only within the last 5 years that they have been putting computers in cars that are even capable of interacting with anything beyond the ODB plug

it really depends on the car and how its designed. saabs won't work for shit if the air mass sensor stops working but that has more to do with questionable design decisions, my sister drove a corolla without a functional exhaust system for like a year and got better fuel economy

>software
I think this is what really sells Motec, they have good software for manipulating race data. There are several other brands that have good hardware and support, but not very many have a data acq system that's easy to use and that you can use to quickly make decisions without having spent the effort to program literally everything in yourself.

It has been a couple years since I've been involved in that though.

A lot of cars will just send you straight into limp mode if it detects a MAF sensor issue.

I assume you mean ecu, not some radio computer or tablet or whatever. In the most basic form, ecu takes the input from sensors around your engine and returns amount of fuel to spray from injectors, plus other stuff like ignition advance. It's really not as obvious of a task as it sounds like, and then you also have tarbo and then you have positive pressure and you need even more math magic to keep it going properly. Then, you have other stuff like immobilizers and whatnot, but let's consider it as a separate computional devices. Car computer controls the engine.

maybe yuropeen cars but most will just make it pig rich to make sure it doesn't lean out

If I want to change the total KMs registered of a car, where should I start?

Attached: queen of birds.jpg (480x640, 36K)

If it's a GM car with the OnStar botnet, yes. If it's newer than 2014, most likely yes.

How? No wifi, no bluetooth, no data, only a serial port under your butt while you drive. Try accessing that.

Depends on how remote. OBD2 is always a thing, as is bluetooth.

Newer cars have full remote of both IKE and ECU.

Depends on the car maker, often it's stored in the instrumental cluster module or in the ECU itself

It's like you've never heard of CAN or aftermarket ECUs.