/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ thread!
No edition today, I apologize

Last thread ---
NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Re-purpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding OK here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
Server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
---

Let's see your setups and discuss what you do with them. What projects are you working on?

Attached: prettylab.jpg (4032x3024, 2.45M)

Other urls found in this thread:

workaround.org/ispmail
amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Chromebook-Storage-SR16SHELF/dp/B014TII622?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6
ebay.com/itm/mSATA-Mini-PCI-e-Express-SATA-SSD-Slot-To-7-Pin-SATA-HDD-Convert-Card-Adapter/401174988651?hash=item5d67e4876b:g:OzoAAOSwUKxYdIQT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DNS/DHCP, samba, rendering/mining, and web testing server on the left there

Attached: IMG_20190805_145335.jpg (3024x4032, 3.62M)

>Having your rack on wheels
>Purposefully have the ports facing forwards anyway
Autism

That just looks loud as fuck

dead silent unless rendering or mining (which I do at night for cheap electricity). the white house helps me sleep and it heats my house pretty well in winter

Is ripping all youtube original content considered data hoarding?

What's best/user friendly OS to run if I want to run a NAS, torrent box?

Attached: 1421930999396.jpg (681x1024, 126K)

Any cheap drawer like servers?

Attached: 1449330691501.jpg (989x607, 49K)

>monitor & KB on the floor
What?

only needed if I have to mess with bios

I have a Qnap NAS, a Windows server, an Ubuntu server, a Daphile music server and a Nas4free build. They all serve my purposes.

Still, you should get a little table to set them up on. Don't want to nitpick, but you should make it easier on yourself for use.

it's pretty infrequent that I need to as I administer it over ssh. The picture doesn't show it well, but the monitor is flush with the table -- no point in wasting space to hold a monitor that isn't even plugged in 99% of the time

Ok gotcha

>>Do I need a rack and all that noisy enterprise gear?
Yes you do you insufferable faggot. If you're not drawing at least 2kW of power, then its not a proper server

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 9.46.48 PM.png (3360x2100, 1.3M)

I'd also like to use ALL my old USB drives in a server at some point. I have multiple USB pci cards I can put to use.
>I don't like wasting any storage

best email server software?

workaround.org/ispmail

I have a 24 x 10GB switch and 3 x 10GB cards at home but can't find any motivation to set it up.

>bixnood
>M$ "AD" "services"
>ESXgay
>2KW

You sure are a fag.

Company is offering 19 500gb HDDs for £100. Worth it?

what would you do with them if you had them? If you don't want them, how much effort would it take to sell them and what profit would you get? it's not even 10TB.

I definitely want to use them, they are probably too small to keep any TV or movies on them though. I have only just started my small Ubuntu server with 8tb, is there any way to combine the hard drives together without the risk of data loss?

Of course, but do you have the capability to hook up 19 drives? They are old drives too and if they are from a company, probably used heavily. How much is a brand new 8TB external HDD in royal crowns? I would just get that and be done with it.

I'd like to set up a web sever but my bandwidth is limited so its pointless.

Yeah you're right, I currently am only using a pc with 6 SATA slots so I would have to get new parts to support all the drives. First 8TB hard drive that I found on amazon was £140, so not that much more. I'll just look around for a good 8TB hard drive. Thanks for the help

The RAID FUD on the net is insane. Not speaking of RAID5, some even claim that RAID6 is unusable with modern high capacity drives now due to rebuilding failure.
I shucked 3 He10 8TB out of mybooks so far, and want to do a HW RAID setup with HAMMER2.
RAID6 is the way to go right? Or maybe 5 would suffice after all? I want approximately 30TB of usable storage capacity, with the option to expand to moar later. I don't have the space nor drives to have proper backups of all my data with this setup--so the array itself should be fault-tolerant enough .
Any recomendations? Should I just go with 5x8TB RAID6? Thanks anons.

Attached: 1557305040452.jpg (475x352, 37K)

Well I mean there's always ZFS or Btrfs. But it's a lot of trouble to go to for not much space. If you were getting the drives for no cost other than going and getting them, then I'd say sure, why not? Similarly I'd jump at that if you were getting, say, 19x 2 or 3TB drives for 100 bongs.

I read an article a few days ago saying 6 was deprecated. Their reasoning? The cloud exists and you should be using that instead.

What's the smallest/lightest case I could shove an old ATX mobo into? I feel like recycling the internals of my old PC

nice.

>racks of shit all over the house with 50 cables to watch movies

there has to be an easier way, why not just upload all the movies i steal to an offsite server somewhere and watch them in any browser anywhere?

Freenas or OpenMediaVault

If you just want to watch movies, even a simple NUC is enough. You don't need a rack.

post setup

Would a pi be the easiest thing to setup for a tech-retarded family member to use as a backup? Was thinking owncloud or Syncthing and having weekly backups from the desktop and phone. Ideally it's a set it and forget it system that I'd remote ssh to if needed.

So, should I go 6 with that setup? What do you think?

I don't have near enough knowledge to say what one is beter. For what it's worth I've purchased 5x8TBs and plan on putting them in R6 initially, since i only currently have ~10TB of data. But eventually I think I'll go R5. 1 parity is enough for me since I actually have backups.

Anyone tried running a server from an old laptop?
I've got pic related
>Intel Celeron Processor T1600
>1 GB DDR2
>500 GB 5400rpm HDD
>Optic drive (not working)
I got it for 15$, I was thinking of replacing the optic drive with HDD caddy, and have the internal and the new HDD in RAID1, and then booting from USB flash drive, though it uses USB 2.0.
Although the battery barely last an hour, but at least it can beridge the gap between power outage, a server with it's own UPS.
Good idea?

Attached: dscf5263.jpg (800x600, 79K)

Upon further investigation, it seems to be fine with error rates of 10^15, but not 10^14 (according to a failure rate calculator, the chances of a succesful rebuild with that and RAID6 are negligible)

sup nerds

currently in the process of setting up FreeIPA for centralized auth + LDAP for web services + DNS

those specs are pretty bad but laptop servers are good n comfy. It's like a built in KVM and UPS, I got by for years on a couple laptops running Proxmox. Though I wouldn't suggest using a flash drive as boot disk if you're going to be writing to it (syslogs and such), it'll kill it very fast

Attached: hsg-20190728.jpg (3800x1910, 2.01M)

you should dumpster dive 10x better laptop, srlsy

You can put a few laptops in a cluster, such as k8s or docker swarm

amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Chromebook-Storage-SR16SHELF/dp/B014TII622?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6

Attached: file.png (1024x576, 520K)

>those specs are pretty bad
I know, it's a very old laptop, and I got it for like less than 20$.
I don't want to spend 500$ for specs I don't need.
>comfy+UPS
That's the reason I wanted one.
>Flash drive boot disk
I don't think I'd do much writing on it.
Usage is just NAS, and maybe a printing server, and a torrent box.

What do you run on it? I have a media server/seedbox for plex etc, a music server for mopidy & icecast, a storage server that does daily & weekly backups sends data for offsite backups and provides storage capacity for everything else. I am running out of things to implement on a hsg set up..

Attached: 18iy282587lxnpng.png (1600x900, 2M)

That's not mine, it's from plebbit/homelab.
The laptop stack in the picture is running a k8s cluster if I remember correctly. At that point you have the option of running almost anything, really.

What I run is
>old gayman pc parts in a new fractal r5 case with 5x8TB drives
>docker with a lot of the LSIO containers
>pic related
>pihole
and occasionally I lab in the azure subscription I have from work

Attached: file.png (189x767, 25K)

I don't have any spare hardware, computer or sbc. I only have my pc with 8gb of ram running Windows. Can I do anything to get started with homelabs? I'd like to run some servers, maybe host bitwarden and a VPN, who knows what else.

I have!
I needed something quiet and didn't have any money.
Got an old HP laptop with a broken keyboard. I ripped the keyboard out revealing the CPU backplate that got really hot. I put some thermalpaste on it and just placed an only CPU cooler block.
The laptop fan suddenly ran on the slowest setting and the laptop became almost quiet!
I scrapped it later though. Didn't like the lack of raid.

You can enable Hyper-V or download virtualbox and boot up a few VMs and toy around with installing software on those.

2 VMs with 512m ram each is plenty to get started with selfhosting. If you're super broke a raspberry pi or second hand hardware is decent if you just want to test the waters with a server and reliability and shit like that.

What did you use it for?
I'm in the same situation, because most server cost a small fortune, and i already have the needed parts.
I though a NAS and torrent box would be good idea?

Would it be a bad idea to run an hypervisor inside a virtual machine?

It's possible, but diminishing returns and all that..
What are you going to use it for?

I'd go RAID6, especially if you will not have backups. With RAID5 you only have 1 drive worth of redundancy and if that one drive fails, all your data is one other failure away from death. Checksumming so you can detect silent corruption may also be nice to have. I don't know what HAMMER2 on HW RAID can do, but it would be very nice to have a system which can not only detect silent corruption, but also rebuild it from parity. ZFS can do this, I'm not sure whether HW RAID with HAMMER2 can as well. Beyond that you will still be at risk of severe hardware fuckups on your server. If your PSU goes bad it may take everything with it, maybe you get a bad cable and shit catches fire or melts your drives before the PSU protection kicks in or something. Maybe the drives work perfectly fine but your SATA controller/HBA/RAID card goes bonkers and starts corrupting shit or who knows what. Maybe you run into some software bug, or maybe you get ransomware, or maybe you simply fat finger one single wrong delete command and fuck yourself up anyway despite having rock-solid hardware.

I would heavily suggest having a backup. Keep in mind that your backup only needs to be as large as your data, not as large as your array. You don't need to buy 30TB worth of backup storage right off the bat if you're only using 2TB on your 30TB array. I'd even choose a smaller array with some backup over a larger one with no backup at all. Also keep your backup media offline and physically separate from the main server.

I just wanted to try Proxmox and since I'd have to install it and all that, I thought that maybe I could run VMs inside of that, but thinking again about it now it sounds kinda useless and problematic

>I wouldn't suggest using a flash drive as boot disk
Why not?
I'm running FreeNAS on two USB drives in RAID1

like I said, it depends on how it's mounted and how much write activity there will be. It's fine if you're mounting it read only and storing logs on another disk, but if it's a regular root disk with your system constantly writing to syslog and such, the drive probably won't last too long

>the drive probably won't last too long
What kind of drives are you using?

I'm not using them. They asked about flash drives, many of which are made with really cheap flash memory that isn't made to be constantly written to for all of its life

Hi frens, long time no see.
I bought another hp microserver, i need to stop.
Also bough a bunch of ultra slimline patch cables that are really nice and easy to route and flexible. vnice, you guys should try them
I'm going to try set up some HA with my other gen8 and make a ups out of 19650's for my router+webserver. The goal is to make a 6x9's webserver as a project

Hi Bixnigger, I installed vsphere the other day, are you proud of me? I still use hyperv for most of my hosts though. also storage teiring on exsi is shit, what's your storage setup?

buy a rack, they are so cheap

I hope you are seeding it all user.

based ikea table poster.
auth on loonux is fucking shit. M$ got it right with AD
If you are worried about write cycles, buy a usb>m.2 adapter and put a m.2 drive in there.

freenas doesn;t really hit the drive that hard, try running windows-to-go off a usb long term, it'll RIP most of the chink usb drives within 6 months

Attached: IMG_20190728_225926.jpg (2592x2473, 1.15M)

>freenas doesn;t really hit the drive that hard
I know, it's just me being paranoid.
GNU/Linux load everything to RAM

Yeah I'd like to run AD but worried about having pirated Wangblows server as a core piece of my infrastructure. Might try Azure AD since I think it's in the free forever tier.
Also how do you like that Sonicwall? I'll have a chance to get a matching pair from a client and wouldn't mind toying with the HA but I don't see myself preferring it over muh pfsense

Where the fuck do you people get the money to buy these things?

Attached: the amazing springman.jpg (640x853, 90K)

step 1: get a job
step 2: save up some money from said job
step 3: ???
step 4: install gentoo on your new hardware

/hsg/, can any of you tell me if I should expect any performance degradation if I put a 10Gbit NIC in promiscuous mode and bridge it with an OpenVPN tap device?

My home server is currently running a regular 1G NIC in that configuration, performance is obviously fine but I've never played with a 10G network and don't know what to expect. I'm currently still waiting for Chinkland delivery of some 10G NICs, so I can't just test it out myself but would like to know if I should expect trouble.

>Anyone tried running a server from an old laptop?
Yes I run iSpy on a samsung nc10 as a cctv for my room. I also installed an ftp and telnet service on it to manage footage remotely

Do you have a .edu account? If so you can get Windows Server 2019 licenses for free from Microsoft Imagine (or whatever they renamed it to this time).

I have two freenas boxes, various windows laptops and a windows desktop. Is there something I could run off a raspberry pi that can monitor all this shit? Like temps, uptime, CPU usage etc? What is it I'm even looking for?

>Is there something I could run off a raspberry pi that can monitor all this shit? Like temps, uptime, CPU usage etc? What is it I'm even looking for?
If you find something, make sure to make a thread about it.

why do they call the pi 4k if it can't output 2 hours of 4k?

My server is usually only access locally, but I want to forward a port so I can stream VLC to my friends.
How can I not get hacked

Attached: 1565116293055.jpg (720x360, 40K)

bump for my favorite thread on this whole website. (my uptime usually is way longer but we had a bunch of thunderstorms here recently and power went out for longer than my UPS could handle it)

Attached: 2019-08-07-09:52:43_screenshot.png (937x619, 151K)

this is perun. perun is my nu-server that handles more eXtreme tasks like downloading the newest shows from usenet. weles, my og-server, hosts my git repos and also is a destination for encrypted backups of my notebook and desktop. life's good

Attached: 2019-08-07-09:55:34_screenshot.png (977x620, 123K)

Unrelated, but which font do you use here user? It kicks ass.

1x 10TB drive is a little more expensive but way less trouble.

well if you really want that feel of running your own web server you could set it up at home, rent some cheapo VPS for $5 or so and configure it to act as a caching proxy. it just fetches data from your home server and then serves it to your visitors.

having said that: unless you want to host some popular site or big files you don't need that much bandwidth. your typical 10mbit upstream is enough to host a simple blog.

>Terminal: termite
>Terminal Font: Iosevka Term Medium 12

Attached: 2019-08-07-10:48:30_screenshot.png (1056x655, 146K)

Thanks a lot user.

I have x230 with a broken screen running:
jellyfin, tvheadend, transmission, sonarr, radarr, headphones, jackett, mpd, openvpn, pihole, homeassistant, airsonic etc. etc.

I turned my old laptop in a nextcloud thingie.

Now i want more, what would you recommend for a poorfag?

Attached: minitel.jpg (1024x769, 71K)

One of my servers has a £90 supermicro board, a celeron g1610t I had lying around and 8gb of ecc ram cost me like £35. I had 4x4tb wd reds already. HDDs are even cheaper now so it's really not that expensive.

Can I install VMware 6+ on my x3400m3?
Documentation says maximum 5.1
Actually on xcp-ng 8.0

it's the power of a 4k monitor

>Not using 2kW of power
>When your servers are pretty much idle

Exchange

Enjoy your shit quality

Its fine for your use case

Hyper-V is fine i guess

> storage teiring on exsi is shit
Are you referring to vFlash Read Cache? Or vSAN?

> what's your storage setup
For vSAN, 3x 800GB HGST SN200 as the cache tier and 24x 480GB Seagate 600 Pro as the capacity tier. For Storage Spaces Direct 24x 4TB HGST UltraStar 7K4000. Both spread across 3 hosts.

From this i've learned U.2 drives are obnoxiously power hungry and difficult to cool and that AIC are the way to go.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 7.16.35 AM.png (678x824, 87K)

>broken screen
Did you remove it?

y, also flashed bios with patch that removes the lvds so I can use multiple monitors with ease (it also acts as a media pc and nvidia game stream machine)

there's really not much to it.
you'll want a collector, a time-series DB, and some method of consuming the data. For me I use telegraf for collection, influxdb for storage, and grafana for pretty graphs and some simple python scripts for reporting on the data in influx

Uptime isn't an issue for me and I have backups. Is there any benefit to me using RAID 6 over RAID 5 that justifies the loss of total capacity? I have 4 3TB WD Reds.

How did you make it work?
I have X220t with broken screen when I removed the screen it won't boot up.
I guess it detect the lack of screen or something.

are 4tb WD reds still good or were they given those shit clicking motors?
also my OMV box seems to be shitting the bed
are there any alternatives for just NAS/torrenting/docker containers? Thinking of switching to ubuntu server

Maybe you have to set the bootup screen to VGA or whatever.

No, I mean tit detect that the monitor is removed and won't bootup as in it won't power up.

best mailing list software? I'm looking at mlmmj but open to other suggestions. must be MTA-agnostic and hassle-free

Attached: 978f23d44317bc0c92d1690a61967a41.png (203x183, 41K)

screenshots were taken on my 1920x1080 notebook though

I installed Proxmox on it and put a Nextcloud instance on it.
And then i had testservers that where semi important. Like gameservers or if i needed something like a website, teamspeak or just a CTFbox.
Im not sure if i would use it as a Nas personally. Unless you can get another harddrive in there and raid them... Putting all your egs in on basket or all your bits on one harddrive never ends well.
Unless its just a way to share stuff temporarily or if its just a repo for you media/files that exists elsewhere.

I thought about getting something like this to get a RAID 1 going
ebay.com/itm/mSATA-Mini-PCI-e-Express-SATA-SSD-Slot-To-7-Pin-SATA-HDD-Convert-Card-Adapter/401174988651?hash=item5d67e4876b:g:OzoAAOSwUKxYdIQT

Does anyone have any recommendations of software for monitoring disk health? I have 10 disks in my NAS and about to expand to 15, is there some dashboard where I can see how they're doing? They're all in a zfs pool if it matters.

Bump

Attached: 1561034656452.png (377x330, 7K)

It is impossible to be hack-proof. Just don't put anything important or identity-related on there.
t. spook

Authenticate it with your own OpenLDAP instance. That whould keep you going for the next two three weeks...
Its cool to know when youre done!

>Using an EE router
At least get your own. Just ring them up and ask for your ADSL modem credentials.

on the subject of routers
I have a netis wf 2780 and it worked great for the first two days after installation and then while the wi-fi range stayed the same as well as the signal strenght the speed of the wireless fell throught the floor. I thought I might be getting interference from somewhere but wi-fi scan picks no other bands and my neighbours are far enough for me not to get any of their signal. Switched channels and found one which seems to work but it's still worse than it was initially. Did all updates and stuff and I don't know what might be causing this drop in quality.

>mdadm can replace a failing drive in a RAID6 by copying directly from an old drive to a new one
>no extra stress on the rest of the array, unless the old drive errors
This is a really cool feature. I didn't even know about it until I looked it up out of necessity.