>you cant wipe an ssd

Who designed these pieces of shit? How am I supposed to get Win10 + all of the other spyware my pc probably shipped with off of my ssd?

Attached: 450437524.jpg (763x893, 107K)

google is your friend we will just sit here and laugh at you

An SSD has no moving parts, it's not affected by dust so you don't need to wipe it

I know bro but so far all I've come up with are shit tier shareware and stuff I'm not gonna buy
Come again, compadre? What about bleach?

Attached: 18563736474.jpg (600x900, 44K)

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

thanks user you are so cool unlike these other nerds

suck it, Jow Forums

Dban, quick erase (1 pass 0s). That will be more than enough to wipe everything a standard full disk format won't.

As for security, I can't find any articles on being able to recover data off an SSD nuked with a single pass of 0s.

dban doesn't work on ssds

It does, I've used it on a PNY/Kingston/Samsung/and ADATA SSD. None of them had any recoverable data after OS install even with a recuva deepscan.

If you can find ANY articles proving that you can recover data off an SSD after a single pass of 0s AND OS install, please show me.

You know the tubbers got your're rubber you know hes going to tub you, hes tubbing right behind you, hes tubbing at your're door...

Format c

BTW I know about overprovisioning but I suspect during the OS install the wear leveling kicks in and corrupts whatever data is left in the overprovisioned NAND cells.

There MIGHT be some data fragments that MIGHT point to a complete file but at this point you'd have to rip the NAND chips off the SSD and examine them in some faggot CIA nerd lab because a recuva deep scan didn't find shit for me.

>wear levelling
you're not wiping every memory cell when you use dban. recuva don't do shit but a 1 hour data forensics/recovery session on the hardware will find remnant data without a doubt.

Of course not, the overprovisioned nand cells retain some of the old recoverable data but it does wipe 80-90% of the entire SSD. The 10-20% of OP will however become next on the chopping block which is used up as the OS is installed. Also deepscan from recuva IS on par with said 1 hour data forensics.

Find me at least 1 article proving successful data recovery after an SSD has been nuked with 1 pass of 0s and an OS has been installed. Remember full file data recovery, no 90/100 4KB blocks.

I was actually talking about hardware forensics: it isn't too difficult for a commercial data recovery op to pull data from flash cells directly (e.g. when flash controllers burn out) and any remnant data that may exist in them rather than interfacing through the controller's cell-block mapping. I don't like to trust black controllers and most especially black box consumer product implementing a cryptographic system but ATA secure erase is supposed to flash (which I'm under the impression is different than overwriting them, but NAND tech isn't my niche so don't take my word for it) every cell simultaneously and usually in under a few seconds rather than spending hours battling with the controller when trying to erase the disk. if your threat model is okay to potentially keep remnant data around for a while and then you do you (and I assume you're maintaining FDE with rotating keys and sane KDFs anyway) but I for one don't potentially want even a partial RSA key left on disk for an indefinite period of time once it's purportedly wiped.

ATA Secure Erase can work, depending on the manufacturer. It might also do nothing. Good luck.

Yeah what the guy after you said. I'd much rather nuke with 3 random passes if I wanted to be more certain of full data erasure. If the controller is compromised then so is the secure erase thing.

Anyway just really surprised how effective just 1 pass with 0s + OS install seems to sanitize an SSD. Wish I could have this disproven though, it doesn't feel right (too easy).

diskpart > select disk > clean all

On Windows 10, make sure you run a command line as Admin & run [del /f /s /q c:\*.*]

literally just make a new partition table and mkfs again if you don't wanna do that
Full with is not recommended for ssds cause they have limited write cycles

Attached: da8c92f4ecee7dcacb4ac51136dc7621.jpg (1142x799, 177K)

or don't be a pedo and you won't have to worry so much

>How am I supposed to get Win10 + all of the other spyware my pc probably shipped with off of my ssd?
Overwrite your partition party and you'll remove all of that.

Not him but what about block size (aka allocation unit size)? Would using say 2MB make any difference than using 4KB? Because I wanna do that.

dh should be a one to one copy. If a block failsba higher size may be deleterious, but if I'm not concerned about that I use 50M for my flash drives. People have done tests on SO as well

Attached: phanpy_by_clinkorz-d7r29mv.png (600x600, 144K)

There's a built in function to remove all power from the drive, and then it loses the data in matter of seconds. It can't be recovered.

>giving copies of your tax returns and credential databases to absolutely anyone when you sell a disk on ebay
get secure son

as long as win10 gets DELETED I'm fine. I don't want it to necro or anything, which is exactly what that piece of shit OS does when I delete shit like cortana

/thread/ (?)

>secure erase

idiot

If you write the entire disk with random data it will.

The thing with SSDs is that you have to wipe the whole drive at once. Doing it file by file doesn't won't really work reliably.

not exactly, see

Just never sell. Shit is probably worthless anyways.

sensible_chuckle.jpg

This only do it 2 times to to also get the over provisioned regions

literally fill the ssd with shit (write a python script to write e until the drive is full or something) then wipe it
retard op as per usual

New partition table will do that. Just make a gift table and reinstall clean.
Yeah its really a needless hassle security wise to try and safely sell old drives. Just thermite or drill when they get decommed imo

might be a techlet with this post but a while back i read somewhere that ssds can be "wiped" in one second by doing something with the "voltage?"
anyway
but the manufacturers have for sure some sort of tool for that purpose that supposedly works well enough to sell the used drive

Attached: 1563006676806.png (1920x1080, 2.66M)

>hassle security wise to try and safely sell old drives

i know
i run magnets on mine, leave them underwater for a month and then toss them in a sidewalk drain

>wiped" in one second by doing something with the "voltage?

any truth to that?

kek!

only truly safe way to wipe a SSD requires an Oxy-Acetylene Cutting Torch/

Caught me off guard

DumbassBAN

Yes? Are you this stupid?

>copy large files
>paste large files
>fill drive
>delete large files
????????
does this work?

> you can't wipe an ssd
AHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA. wow. what a poorly educated fucking moron.

am i retarded for not knowing what OPs on about? in what fucking universe are you not able to wipe an SSD?