Back-ups

How do you guys backup your configuration files and system settings? You do backup... right, user?

Attached: 2e8b93263b3f87cb4175370c56d8683e.jpg (1200x1200, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synchronization_and_backup_programs#Single_machine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

git

borgbackup as a cronjob to an offsite system

dd full hdd because lazy

tar / | gpg | ssh > cloud

noice. which cloud?

transip stack

whenever somethings breaks i just reinstall windblows
been doing that for 15 years

configlet

BackInTime (rsync)

This, except I run it hourly as a systemd timer and manually when backing up to my local HDD

Also I'll just say that borg is a brilliant piece of software. Should be the gold standard for backups.

takes 30 minutes and works perfectly everytime
no need to learn new tricks
:P

What does Borg do that others dont?
rsync
tar
etc

I just copy the stuff to another drive using `mc`. Considering I only have about 10GB of data now there's not much of a reason to make it more complex than that.

Those two you mentioned offer now versioning. Imagine you accidentally overwrite a file that's important to you (which is in fact more common than accidental removals since those go in your system's trash location usually). Or imagine you delete something and realize you needed it, but it's already been removed from your backup. Or imagine the file gets corrupted on your source drive and the corrupted version replaces the backup. Backups without versioning can't really be considered proper backups.

Additionally, borg does deduplication, which reduces your archive sizes considerably (kind of like compressing your rsync backups each time, but more efficient)

you should still separate data from OS

OS failure won't destroy your data, but drive failure will

Just look at how borgbackup BTFO others. By far it has the most features of any backup application.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synchronization_and_backup_programs#Single_machine

>now versioning
no versioning

Also borg has other cool stuff too, like virtually mounting different versions of backups as drives, verifying backup integrity, and "append-only" which prevents cryptolockers from overwriting your previous backups even if they try. It's also very fast.

Thank you anons

tiddy

Sure. It's pretty straightforward to setup so it's totally worth it if you have important files. I use borgbase for remote hosting with it, been great and it offers append-only if you're paranoid about your stuff like me.

Honestly the only config I have backed up and think is important is my vimrc, but I think I could make it again since most of it is muscle memory. My zshrc is also pretty comfy, but mostly unnecessary.

Yes but what about backups

Microsoft has his files and settings
its a windows thing

MOMMY

Sauce pls

yadm the repo is on a hetzner box.

Ewa Sonnet

i manually grsync two partitions, for the main OS i should start backing up all the installed packages but i don't feel like that.

just export your installed packages to a file
backup /etc/
done

rsync to my nas (zfs triple parity), which i back up on tapes monthly

you don't even rsync?

cuz gpg

I would backup her con fig if you know what I mean

remember when she tried to have a singing career lmao

Encrypts and pushes everything to transip stack and google drive.
I dont use Linux outside of work/servers.

Attached: GoodSync.png (256x256, 14K)

Do this too, gotta redo my cronjob after moving servers.
Also was messing with match user and force command in the sshd config to make the key I use during only work for scp.
Figured out that part, just can't figure how to kick the user off if there is no command passed to start with.

>just
i don't feel like even doing that.

i just make a stage 4

Attached: 1564207737020.png (490x690, 266K)

I encrypt my stuff and upload to the unlimited google drive account my college gave me.

Mate I got your answer

Match user for sftp-subsystem
Allow only internal sftp commands
Set chroot to /*/*/backups
Make sure the whole path to /*/*/backups is owned and only writable by root

On the client side, don't use scp, its not within the scope of sftp. Instead mount the sftp-chroot locally and run backups to it, then umount.

Also you can set the sftp user to /sbin/nologin in your /etc/passwd

its literally a list apt will spit out
you can literally apt install and be restored.

fkng mods