/pmp/ - Personal Media Players General

ClearPod Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1565057230042.jpg (1114x1130, 232K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dc9znp_Mrwc&t=0s
iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/
ebay.com/itm/Clear-Crystal-Plastic-Cover-Case-For-Apple-iPod-Video-30GB-Classic-80-120-160GB-/153051392519?txnId=1896024286005
mediafire.com/file/yubhx0jmlvmnoiy/iVideo_Dark.7z/file
ebay.com/itm/PCBoard-for-Samsung-HS12YHA-HS12YHA-A-REV-A-120GB-Hard-Drive-Guaranteed-To-Work/183786889108
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

im seriously considering getting a 5.5 iPod classic, but I still can't get over having to then carry both a phone and an iPod. please convince me and push me over the edge anons

My sister-in-law gave me her old iPod Classic 120GB

Rockbox without modifications? Stock battery & HDD

Already have a Sansa Clip+ is it worth the effort?

Depends on how worn out your clip is.
If it's in decent shape, then keep the iPod in a drawer until you need it.
Otherwise, go crazy.

Please help me friends, I just recently put in a 3000mah battery for my rockboxed ipod and it was working just fine

Then I decided to play music on it until it shut itself off, I plugged it in so it could charge all the way back to 100% and calibrate the battery. But after trying to plug it into several different USB ports and wall adapters, in rockbox and in original firmware, it doesn't charge properly. At most I got a sliver of battery life on the indicator, but now I think it doesn't charge at all.

It's doing the "very low battery" screen and won't get out of it. Logic tells me that the battery has been deeply discharged. Does Rockbox not protect against deep discharge of batteries? Did I/rockbox kill it by letting it drain completely?

Attached: image.jpg (657x527, 161K)

Are you using a hard drive?

No, iFlash quad with a single microSD

Well, that's unusual.
Power cycle it a couple more times and then come back.

So just turn it off and on a few times with menu+select like normal?

Yeh, or you could just use your're phone as a portable media player like everyone else. Then youhave one less autistic trait to be ashamed of.

Attached: 1563944515120.jpg (1000x1000, 290K)

No, discharge the battery completely and then leave it charging for between a night and 24 hours

Fuck off, 8gag refugee

What do you mean?

Wear the battery out completely, and then charge it again until it's completely full

Is there a PMP worth upgrading to from a Sansa Clip+ for, say, less than 300USD, that'd be worthwhile beyond just using my phone?

I've been a Clip user since the first one came out in 2007 and have been using the Clip+ since its release. Whenever one breaks, I always just order a new (used) one, but it's become apparent that even the better-kept ones aren't holding up much anymore.

Attached: 1349349147935.jpg (806x617, 82K)

ipods aren't particularly heavy or bothersome in any way unless you wear girl jeans.

Get a Zune with a broken hard drive, and an iFlash card, since zunes use the same hard drive interface as iPod classics

That's what I was trying to do originally, and what fucked me over in the first place. I can't get it to charge more than ~5%, let alone 100.

Your battery might be defective, then

Attached: md_loot_2013_09_18-03_r50-big.jpg (1920x1080, 788K)

>he doesn't just use Spotify

Attached: images(2).jpg (227x222, 5K)

Do those skip often when walking around with them?
Used to jog so hard with my old ipod I was able to even get it to skip every once and a while.

They've got buffer, mostly can stop access for a couple of seconds.

Are there any Rockbox themes that make it look like the stock iPod interface?

can you still get anything good for under $20? all the clips have shot up in price

iClassic for the iPod Classic, PodOne for the monochrome ones

pictured: a man in the throes of ecstasy at finding another fellow man who also does not just use spotify because he cares about his music collection also

Check out this absolute unit
youtube.com/watch?v=dc9znp_Mrwc&t=0s

Attached: thiccboi.png (561x331, 125K)

>downloading music

Have fun listening to the same stuff

Give one justification for using a standalone PMP instead of simply using your phone.

(Hint: You can't.)

Attached: tumblr_nf3yzyFoZO1ttu8odo1_500.gif (500x657, 1.59M)

can't you literally buy bigger backs to these fucking things? i've thought about getting some big battery for mine and switching from ssd to iflash.

Attached: KIMG0029.jpg (1920x2560, 406K)

Bought a used Walkman A35 a couple years ago, and I still use it regularly. It was about 130 bucks, but I think it was worth it. Nice quality build, expandable storage, physical buttons, EQ is prettty easy to use, runs anything I throw at it, battery life is good. Only downside is that it's all in Japanese, but honestly, it's not that hard to figure out.

What I'm still not understanding is those several-thousand dollar Walkmans that are available for purchase. What's the deal with those?

main good thing is battery life, wont rape your phone battery from listening to music, also good if your phone dies you can still listen to music
>in any way unless you wear girl jeans
I wear super skinnies and carry a wallet phone and ipod with no issues
a lot of the batteries are dodgy because theyve been sitting in stockrooms form a decade, ive had this issue with a few batteries
damn thats pretty cool

Attached: ipod.jpg (1479x1863, 525K)

Do not reply to spammers

Hey, you used my picture.
Yea, you can go from a thin back to a thick back, which is is the same one they use on the 80gb and 160gb models. You'll also need a new headphone and hold switch assembly, because the thin-backed versions don't fit the same way and the cables are slightly different.

Attached: 20190807-184210.png (1080x1217, 1.96M)

Hey how do you set custom wallpapers like this?

You need bitmaps saved on your ipod, specifically 320x240, and a theme that supports backdrop setting, or modify a theme to allow it.

i have a 128gb ssd is it even worth going iflash? right now its just a side project i havent decided to delve into. side note i'd love to have that clear case.

Attached: MikuGreen.jpg (320x240, 10K)

>"very low battery" screen and won't get out of
happened with me as well with the same setup. I do think it's a firmware problem and not a hardware problem. I can't remember what I did as it was long ago but makes a good suggestion.
Also, try booting into stock firmware and get it charging.

stock firmware on the newer clips are not that bad. Not that they're good compared to Rockbox, but overall usable.

I haven't found a better player than the clip for my purpose (exercise). It's cheap, small, can hold a huge amount, has all the physical buttons you need to use it without needing to look at, and has a clip for comfortable wear.

My phone looks like this. Your move, Bat-creep!

Attached: 5kEFdtR2EjbQKOeY.jpg (800x600, 38K)

I used to have a phone like this, and i'd easily go back to it, but as far as im aware they're not really supported and hard to find without paying some meme amount for it.

Attached: 51TK3YYQvQL._SY300_QL70_.jpg (249x300, 18K)

>iflash
That depends, a SSD comes close to using the same amount of power as a hdd.
iflash.xyz/runtime-shootout-2016-quad-dual-solo-msata-vs-original-hard-drive/
If you want it to be faster, then go for it.
I got the clear panel for $9 and the clear case for $3, both shipped from China, and they've been great so far. The only downside is that the edges on the clear panel were kind of rough, but not a deal breaker, especially since I keep it in the case.

>these people use dedicated devices for music instead of their phones

Attached: 1565082347145.jpg (919x960, 132K)

Why are you on a technology board with a flip phone? Are you poor, a luddite, or a schizo?

>flip phone
>its still technology

Because it does exactly what I need it to do without making me pay out the ass for data plans with hidden fees and contracts. Being high-tech doesn't mean falling for every trend and fad, nor does it mean paying for shit you don't want because Everyone Else Has One.

Again, do not respond to spammers

>turning your back on a portable computer loaded with features because you're cheap and pretending like it's for counter culture reasons

it is fun, you're absolutely right! getting to know a piece of music inside and out is one of life's greatest treasures. and even with large file sizes, the cost of storage these days is so low that you can fit so much music you'll hardly have to listen to the same piece of music twice.. as if you'd even, for the aforementioned reason, want to!

Late reply but thanks for the info.

Attached: 1538215913381.jpg (400x400, 40K)

having a wide array of single function electronics that can be interlinked together in flexible ways is superior to having a single device that does the same things prima facie but is inflexible to emergent use cases.

the right place to practice minimalism is in the focus and design of each individual device, not in lowering the numeral quantity of how many you have

if this sounds familiar it's because this is the linux philosophy

*unix

why the fuck would you use a phone to listen to music? what the fuck is wrong with you?

i wish they would still make feature phones like this, most of the new ones are made out of cheap materials and don't look nearly as good as this anymore

What case is that? On the right in pic

What rockbox theme?

In awe of the size of that lad

Attached: 2579054349.gif (480x270, 1.55M)

just passing through, dont mind me

Attached: hiby r3 kanas pro yinyoo pink floyd dogs.jpg (1029x1300, 427K)

Hey, what do you guys recommend? If the classic ipod is the best then where do I cop one for the cheap?

it's a modified iVideo theme i did to make it flat n dark mode. also did a light version mod too.
I can upload them if anyone wants.

This is the exact one I bought. It snaps shut tightly and has a little slot to open it using a coin.
ebay.com/itm/Clear-Crystal-Plastic-Cover-Case-For-Apple-iPod-Video-30GB-Classic-80-120-160GB-/153051392519?txnId=1896024286005

>No marketing
>Refused to use the same app kit as Phone OS
>Gutted it's budget for the Kin like a year after release
Why did Microsoft send it out to die?

Attached: 6E2EA350-F39C-49A7-B584-2ADBDFE8CD7F.jpg (750x563, 43K)

You fuckers are autistic. I just use my phone with music subscription. I don’t have to sync shit or carry extra shit. I download all the new shit I want whenever I think I want something.

My brother used to do Pepsi or Coke rewards back in 2008. One week he won a Flip camera, and the next week he won a Zune 8. It was a cool player but he sold it to buy a new gpu.

fuck off brandon

>cheaper than paying the jews however much spotify or apple music is
>avoiding shit dacs
>not draining the battery life on your phone / way longer battery life
>can hold way more downloaded music than a phone
>not limited to whatever is on popular music libraries
>physical buttons
>not reliant on cell towers

dumb anime poster

>covering the album art with text
>at all
cringe

Plz do, broski! Just call it "iVideo Dark"

This happened to me too. I just left it to charge and the battery error went away in few hours.

Hey autists enjoy music too, and sometimes they're willing to go the extra mile to carry something extra so they can enjoy them longer than others

mediafire.com/file/yubhx0jmlvmnoiy/iVideo_Dark.7z/file
Im like 90% pos i put all the files needed in here lmk if it's not working

Attached: 4.jpg (320x240, 4K)

I got an iPod Shuffle 4 for $6 at Value Village awhile back; just figured out how to put music on it with Linux because I'm retarded and it's taken me that long. It's charging now and I'm gonna try it in the morning :D

autismo.

Attached: ed0b41bf-b71d-42f6-81ce-971877efac93..jpg (3456x4608, 2.08M)

FiiO?

Looks like a M7.

>he rents music
>he needs an Internet connection to listen to his rented music

I'm considering getting a PMP, few years ago you guys recommended the Classic 5G over everything else, is it still the best pick price/performance wise?

Attached: 1465863603243.gif (300x262, 1.84M)

Yes

Yeah seems so.

Has anyone tried this? It's a 120gb zif drive that will fit into a thin ipod classic, according to head to, it's compatible. I don't need anything larger than that, and it's cheaper than one of those aftermarket flash boards not even including a memory card.

ebay.com/itm/PCBoard-for-Samsung-HS12YHA-HS12YHA-A-REV-A-120GB-Hard-Drive-Guaranteed-To-Work/183786889108

>head to
Head fi*

Attached: 1563895803841.jpg (1500x1059, 458K)

But why would you use it? Cheaper isn't really a problem when the flash variant costs 30 bucks.
Enjoy reduced battery life and higher failure rate I guess.

>Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for Samsung HS12YHA 120GB 1.8" ZIF Hard Drive. This hard drive also has Apple p/n 655-1501A. You will receive the entire hard drive with the PCB still intact. This way you can power up the drive and verify the PCB works properly.
This is a listing for a dead drive with a working PCB, I hope you realize that.

>why carry around ONE device when you could carry around TWO devices!

Attached: 700.jpg (200x313, 10K)

Why carry around a toolbox when a multitool will work just fine?

It's not that black and white. Smartphones are jack of all trades devices. Better DAPs, cameras, cellphones, etc. exist that each do one job well.

the Fiio M5 is pretty nice, just a bit annoying to navigate being so small

Attached: IMG_20190805_201924.jpg (4032x3024, 3.5M)

>THREE devices!

Attached: 1564785507203.png (455x471, 48K)

What?

Don't forget
>can't transfer ANYTHING without the Zune software
>can't play or organize on a folder/file basis

Almost positive I got everything done properly but my iPod still jumps into a sad iPod, "very low battery" loop. I got it to the restore screen once but my computer doesn't recognize the iPod. What am I doing wrong?

Attached: AmIStillDumb.jpg (724x966, 167K)

>Hard Drive *Guaranteed To Work
Letting the Chinese on eBay was a mistake

Literally the first word of the listing is "PCBoard".

If you put "Hard Drive *Guaranteed To Work" anywhere near a listing for something as-is with a hard drive pictured, you know 100% you're trying to scam someone

Step aside, plebs.

Attached: 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181008210021424_COVER.jpg (4032x3024, 2.85M)

My PMP works better as a PMP than my phone does

>leaving laptop stickers on

Keep it connected to the PC and let it charge overnight

And how else would you advertise a PCB for a hard drive that's guaranteed to work?

How tough is an ipod 5g reshell?

Looking at getting a beater with good guts and fixing it up.

The hardest part's getting it open without damaging the shell and that won't be an issue for you

DEAD HARD DRIVE, WORKING PCB like a normal auction