So I have an extension that opened YT links into a cool iframe element that followed you around on the screen...

So I have an extension that opened YT links into a cool iframe element that followed you around on the screen, so you can continue scrolling the page and watch your video while at it. Except now it doesn't work, and I checked the extension's web page and it was no longer maintained, and a while later the author deleted the extension alltogether.

Did YouTube make some radical changes to its API, and is there an alternate, maintained version to this extension? The one I'm using is called Youtube Link Title.

Attached: yt_1200-vfl4C3T0K.png (1200x1200, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/videos/
googleapis.com/youtube/v3/videos?id=xvZwYadmgPw&part=snippet,status&fields=items(id,snippet/title,status/privacyStatus,status/embeddable)&key=AIzaSyDWxOr4Li4A6HtYx9k7bVbCQ68vpwJJuoc
console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/overview?project=862749692571
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

It doesn´t work now. You have to do this. Open new tab, add to bookmarks, click on more and put this on URL:
document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0].requestPictureInPicture();

Sounds hella practical.

Hey OP i use the same script and it just stopped working for me too. We need to fix this.

bump

Is this awesome script really just going to stay dead?

One thing i've noticed is that videos that were posted more than several hours ago still work with Youtube Link Title. You can try it here:
reddit.com/r/videos/

But newer videos no longer work. Did Youtube do a stealth api change?

this issue affects all linkification extensions i can find for youtube links. most definitely youtube changing their api.

so is it a case of simply changing the api key? I have no experience with coding.

The script is gone on greasyfork now too.
This sucks.

I tried looking for alternatives, but none can do what Youtube Link Title could did well. Maybe the code just needs fixing? I can post the code if someone wants to look at it.

bumpp

This is literally a fucking feature of YouTube now. Use Enhancer for YouTube if you need a bigger view.

>Enhancer for YouTube

That's not what we're looking for. We want an iframe to appear when you click on a youtube link.

It does that though. Both native YouTube and Enhancer for YouTube. Enhancer just has the added feature that it does so on hovering if you enable that.

I've solved it:
>Set up youtube link title
>Enable "Look up info only when link text is URL"

I tried it. It doesn't work. The only thing that still works is 'hover image on link'.

I liked it because it worked as a linkify and an embed with a preview all at once. Why the fuck can't nice simple things like this ever just be left alone

bump

Looks like the API key might have expired.

googleapis.com/youtube/v3/videos?id=xvZwYadmgPw&part=snippet,status&fields=items(id,snippet/title,status/privacyStatus,status/embeddable)&key=AIzaSyDWxOr4Li4A6HtYx9k7bVbCQ68vpwJJuoc

>"Access Not Configured. YouTube Data API has not been used in project 862749692571 before or it is disabled. Enable it by visiting console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/overview?project=862749692571 then retry. If you enabled this API recently, wait a few minutes for the action to propagate to our systems and retry."

I replaced the "String.fromCharCode.apply" section of the script with a working key, and that fixed it.

Literally just use Opera if you want that feature..

what exactly do i replace? I've never done anything with code, much less an api. Do i just replace a string of code in the script? And i cannot find this api key.

I'm in the same boat as OP.
Please elaborate more.

The key is this part of the script:

>String.fromCharCode.apply(String, [107,101,121,61,65,73,122,97,83,121,68,87,120,79,114,52,76,105,52,65,54,72,116,89,120,57,107,55,98,86,98,67,81,54,56,118,112,119,74,74,117,111,99])

That's just an obfuscated version of 'key=AIzaSyDWxOr4Li4A6HtYx9k7bVbCQ68vpwJJuoc', the second part being the actual key. You can request your own API key from Google (or find one somewhere else) and test it by copying the URL in and replacing that key with yours. If it comes back with the actual video title instead of an error code, replace the part I quoted above with 'key=' followed by your actual key. Keep the single quotes around it.

Attached: api.png (1021x236, 29K)

Thanks friend I got it working it from what i can see.
Back to how it was before the api change from a few days ago..

You wouldn't happen to know a way to make it so that clicking the thumbnails at the end of the video plays it in that player on the page and not a new window? That was a feature YT link used to have but then lost after an update.

Not the other guy but I got it working as well. Really appreciate the help, thank you.