How different is Gimp and Libre Office from Photoshop and Office...

How different is Gimp and Libre Office from Photoshop and Office? I am thinking in moving from W10 to Linux but the lack of those programs and the fact that i don't time much time to learn about the new ones hold me back, any user here that went from windows to Linux can tell me if it was worth it?
Also, are Mac really that bad? I have never use one but they seem to have the advantage of having a native Bash shell while having all the nice programs like Photoshop and Excel, are they really that bad? anyone here have any experience with them?

Attached: image.jpg (620x330, 16K)

Krita is better than gimp and libreoffice is pretty good as well.
But I mostly use google docs anyways.
You can try them on windows too.

Stay away from gimp. Its terrible. Use krita or kolourpaint if you need an mspaint clone.

gimp is fine, it's not for brainlets

libreoffice is nice. gimp is utter shit. just use photoshop in wine.

Photoshop should not be used ever by anybody, it's nonfree software and the enemy of your freedom.

because when I need to get an image edited my first concern is if i can read the source code

That should absolutely be a concern because if you use the program for an extended period of time, the chances that you need to make changes to it to fit your workflow are very high.

to even get gimp to be usable you're going to need a multitude of changes. you get better results just using photoshop.

Once you make the changes to gimp they're done and you never need to make them again. But Photoshop can never provide better results because this will never be possible.

SoftMaker FreeOffice is literally killer Windows 10

i don't think I've ever seen a gimp install with anywhere near the capabilities of photoshop. it's always clunky and obnoxious to use.

If gimp is inadequate then modify it to fit your needs. Photoshop does not have any capabilities because it can't be modified, it's useless software.

Just have a VM with Windows and Office in case you really need to send a perfect DOC file or something. For your own use, LibreOffice is good enough.

>Also, are Mac really that bad?
They're not bad at all. They have both rabid fanboys and rabid haters, but don't let them distract you.

They are worse. Also, Linux is worse, sadly. I know some are going to start screaming but it's not even a comparison.
Mac is not just an OS. You buy their hardware and software and are locked in this. Also the price is much higher.
I suggest dual booting Windows and Linux and using Linux just for things that are exclusively for Linux.
I know you can run Linux directly in windows and there is a new windows terminal but I have no experience with these.

Your best bet for office is going to be WPF office community edition. The ui is identical to office so it won't be too much of a learning curve

I'm not putting in years of fiddling with shit to try and get something on par with photoshop. for image editing I'd rather just have something that's usable out of the box.

WPS*** fuck you phone typing

They are different, none of your skills with photoshop are transferrable to gimp because they are fundamentally different programs that strive to achieve the same thing.
Also how the fuck are you planning to switch from wintendo to Linux if you don't have "time" to learn new programs like lmaooo thats a recipe for another onions-infused disaster.
Linux can be a better and more comfortable platform to use if you're willing to invest some time and effort into wrangling it to it. Just forget about out of the box experience, it's not there yet.

As for office - I use libreoffice in a corporate environment and other than making sure that documents meant for sharing with other drooling corporate drones are either in PDF form (preferably) or OOXML if meant to be edited I had absolute ZERO complaints about bad formatting etc.

It doesn't take years. Meanwhile Photoshop isn't usable period and never will be.

and if were really that easy to fix gimp; it wouldn't still be shit

Use Krita or PS with Wine, also use OnlyOffice

photoshop is both intuitive and feature rich; gimp is gimped

No one can fix gimp for your particular specific workflow. You need to take responsibility to do that.

or i could just use a program that isn't shit to begin with

What freetards don't understand about why proprietary, GUI-oriented software always dominates over FOSS is that most users don't care about source access and the ability to modify and fork programs. People are lazy, so what they care about is whether or not it works well OOTB with as little modifications and tinkering as possible. GIMP is a horrible example because its UI is dogshit and it lacks a lot of features compared to Photoshop. Most people aren't going to bother modifying and recompiling GIMP if there's another program that just works right away. If anything, GIMP is more like MS Paint than PS.

If you want a good example of FOSS, look at Blender. Their UI was a complete clusterfuck 8 years ago, but the new 2.8 update added a lot of requested features and rehauled the UI so it's more intuitive to new users and you no longer have to memorize 5 million keyboard shortcuts on your first week of using it. Now people are loving Blender and want it to replace Autodesk, because a genuinely good FOSS program will beat proprietary software any day.

>photoshop is both intuitive and feature rich
Disagree, you have baby duck syndrome. What it is actually is spyware and botnet.

Not claiming it's not botnet; I'm claiming it actually works as image editing software well; unlike gimp.

Libreoffice is a great substitute for MS office and you should have next to no problems switching. When it comes to Gimp vs. Photoshop, the reason most people dislike gimp is becaude it does many things very differently from photoshop, so people who know photoshop have to relearn a lot of stuff. People who mever used photoshop, usually have no complaints about how things are done in gimp, and feel the photoshop way is weird.
So if you use photoshop (semi-)professionally, maybe you should just continue to use it in wine. If, on the other hand you just need to do basic shit like resizing images, adjusting colors, and making memes, gimp will do just fine.

Disagree, the UI in photoshop is way worse. Also most users DO care about the program being modifiable and forkable because it means the end user has more freedom.

Photoshop does not meet that description.

It doesn't though. I will agree that it works really well for spying on you.

>hunter2
All I saw was "*****".

>I suggest dual booting Windows and Linux and using Linux just for things that are exclusively for Linux.
I suggest doing it the other way around. Why would you use windows for things you can do in Linux.

Because he already works in Windows. But I agree both are viable options.

>Also most users DO care about the program being modifiable and forkable because it means the end user has more freedom.
You've never been around people who do things that aren't programming or sys admin on their computers, have you? You have to realize that for these people, opening a config file or using a GUI SETTINGS MENU is too much work for them. I've worked in IT before, even people who do video editing and photography don't care about source access. They're just wondering how to use the program and get on with their lives. Until FOSS starts catering to the laymen instead of telling them to fix it themselves, it will never be as successful as Adobe.

I'm not saying those users will do it themselves. They will pay someone else to modify it just like they pay Adobe. The layman understands that often changes need to be made and that they will cost time and money. The only people who don't seem to understand are adobe shills like yourself.

or they can just use photoshop that's there, instead of paying someone in an attempt to fix a broken program.

Photoshop also costs money and is permanently broken and can never be fixed.

>adobe shills like yourself.
I fucking hate Adobe and wish it would burn in hell. I don't want people to use PS, but for most professionals, it (and Affinity Photo, another proprietary program) are the only real options they have. I just wish someone would learn from the Blender people and make a FOSS PS alternative that just works out of the box, so then people can switch to it and tell Adobe to go fuck itself (much like people are doing to Autodesk right now.)

>!i don't like this GUI"
>hey i have an idea, i will hire a programmer to modify the source code so it will be different
Do you really think that the average user out there who dont even know what source code is, think like that or that even that sort of situation happens often? in a professional environment maybe but the end user?

other than botnet in what way is it broken? it works perfectly.

A bunch of retards saying gimp is unusable and that you should use photoshop on wine or whatever and that is better to use krita. What a bunch of nonsense! I use krita everyday and it's only good for what it is, drawing and painting. I't garbage if you try to put just a tiny bit of text, its just awful. Gimp has it's purposes and at drawing it sucks, but it's good for everything else. If you try gimp on windows you'll see it takes half an hour to launch, in linux it launches in 1second. You don't need to make any changes in the source codes likes those lunatics are talking about, if you wish to, you can, but it's not required AT ALL. You can change keyboard shortcuts in the settings if you don't like the defaults tho. Libreoffice is great, if you open files created on it on ms office, the formatation will get a little wonky, so avoid office and only send pdfs to people to avoid page numbers getting wrong. Macros of spreadsheets aren't the same to, so if you use them, keep that in mind.

It doesn't allow source code access

>I just wish someone would learn from the Blender people and make a FOSS PS alternative that just works out of the box
this is really the only way a foss image editor will ever take off

gimp cant even do filter layers.

that's not broken you freetard. if it works well i don't need to do shit

People who use proprietary programs aren't professional in any way.

Yes. It's no different from a normal person hiring a plumber to fix your toilet.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1538831549787.png (620x434, 80K)

It doesn't work well though and it never will.

>People who use proprietary programs aren't professional in any way.
but like, 99% of professionals in any industry use propriety software

>Yes. It's no different from a normal person hiring a plumber to fix your toilet.
it's completely different; and no one's going to pay likely a quite large sum to get someone to fix a broken program for them when there's an alternative that works fine

I know you're just fishing for (you)'s but damn freetards are delusional

the more proprietary software suppor, the less reasons to switch

i like gimp more than photoshop. it feels more intuitive to me. i've also used it since i was 12 though.

What's so bad about Gimp? Why would Krita be better? I almost exclusively use Qt apps (I run KDE) but Gimp is an exception as it always was considered the best foss image manipulation program and did a pretty good job in replacing photoshop for me.
I read Krita is just better for drawing. Strangely I can't use my touchscreen to draw with it even though that works with Gimp.

Those people are not professionals. Professionals need source code access to adapt the software for their workflow. Businesses that don't understand this will never have their expenses under control.
>it's completely different; and no one's going to pay likely a quite large sum
It's not different and you don't have to pay a large sum. Photoshop does not work fine and is not a valid alternative.

Photosph doesn't allow you to edit certain pictures. That's a bug and nobody can fix it which makes Photoshop broken software.

>Professionals need source code access to adapt the software for their workflow.
you realize literally no one who's getting paid to edit images is using gimp, right?

I use those on Windows so..yeah. They're the same shit unless you're autistically into word processing or image manipulation.

I don't want (You)s, I would actually prefer you adobe shills stopped posting altogether. Sick of seeing you cucks show up in every thread screaming about how it's impossible to draw a picture without depending on some botnet

are you fucking retarded?

Nobody actually likes adobe. it's just their software is clearly better than the alternatives; so we have to deal with them for now

You surly are.

That isn't true and you're a shill. Leave this thread now.

Nonfree software by definition cannot be better than anything. The whole point is that the software is intentionally crippled to lock you in.

Do you need an image editing program for work purposes or personal? I use both Gimp and photoshop CS2. Each has its advantages, prefer Gimp's UI and lasso tool though. New Gimp looks pretty good and starts a lot quicker than before. Run photoshop in a VM or Wine and try both.

Attached: GIMP 2.10.12.png (1917x989, 147K)

why don't you share your enlightened binaries with us

>you're a shill
says the freetard

>Nonfree software by definition cannot be better than anything.
that's uhhhh quite the hot take

GIMP is shit
libreoffice is shit
linux is shit
Windows is shit
Mac is shit
Programmers are shit
Computers are all steaming piles of shit
Computing is shit
Jow Forums is shit

Attached: agent 47 tings.png (640x676, 483K)

Only a slave with stockholm syndrome would insult a free man for being free.

based

only good post ITT

I don't know what your workflow is so I can't help you.

I don't shill for anything. If you don't like gimp then use krita or write your own. There is no excuse to use botnet software.

No, read the EULA, it's shit.

GNU/Linux*

Krita is a paint program, and GIMP is image editor.

You're like those faggots living up in alaska thinking they're so fuckin cool for being free

>I don't know what your workflow is so I can't help you.
oh no, i don't want your help, i just want to see these amazing modifications you've made

If gimp is so terrible, why does it scare adobe so much they feel the need to sponsor this thread every single day?

Linux is a kernel.

Indeed.

Attached: baby duck syndrome.jpg (716x207, 103K)

>SoftMaker FreeOffice
First time I've heard about it, tried LibreOffice, OpenOffice and WEP Office. Disliked them all.

Not posting them now because they haven't been fully tested, but you can pay me for them when they're ready

Attached: 1540523865199.jpg (633x651, 48K)

GIMP is great and every non-professional should absolutely default to it instead of expensive Photoshop. People sperg out because the buttons aren't identical to their current (possibly pirated with tons of malware on the side) Photoshop and learning anything new is impossible.

Also I don't know why you had to make this thread anyway, both GIMP and Libreoffice are available on Windows as well. You could have just installed them and tried the UI yourself before installing a different operating system.

gnu is the only non-shit part of your system

>He thinks after all this begging I'm going to send him my patches for free

>begging
i don't want to use gimp, faggot. I'm perfectly happy with photoshop. just wanted to see you're full of shit

stay with windows 10
just the nature of your question tells me its the right thing for you to do.
I'm a pro that runs Win10, Win7, Ubantu, Adobe CC (full), LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and MS Office. Adobe Photoshop is a fully pro tool. These people calling it botnet cater to their paranoia and cheese pizza than doing pro work. Gimp is not near Photoshop, and never will be now that Adobe is raking in the big bucks on subs. LibreOffice is okay, but on serious documents I still go with MS Office.

Just get a second, cheap box, burn the ISO dvds of the distros you are considering (Debian, Arch, Ubantu, UbantuMATE, etc.) see which one you feel best with, and install that, using it on the side.

Don't jump away from the sophistication and fluid smoothness of win10 just yet. Win10 is good, if you disable and uninstall the bs like OneDrive (*ugh*) that bogs it down. If you were to f**k things up, and couldn't go back to Win10, you'd probably seriously regret it.

Attached: Ubuntu-Sexy-Wallpaper-4.jpg (1024x768, 129K)

>Professionals need source code access to adapt the software for their workflow. Businesses that don't understand this will never have their expenses under control.
what a serious load of turbo-crap-spew-projectile vomit.

I'm a pro, I'm ACE cert, Adobe CC-full, write in several languages plus all the usual HTML5/CSS3/JS/SASS {LESS} shit. Why do I need access to Adobe Ps source code? It already has features to automate.

Save money? How? By making their Ps users keep screwing up already good code?

the absolute state of Jow Forums

Attached: 164395495-ibm-wallpapers.jpg (1920x1080, 355K)

/thread
t/y

Attached: 18f51826325238fc74ad7148d8abd8cf-700.jpg (1244x700, 127K)

krita is just paint fucking retard

Libre office is really good. Their grammar checker is also the best I've used to date. Even on windows I use libre over microshits garbage. And Gimp, well Gimp is kinda shit.

LibreOffice just werks, should be suitable for any home use
GIMP is trash, Pinta is what I use

Dude you can't just lie on the internet

You don'thave to use gimp. However, being happy with a nonfree software such as photoshop is the action of a cuck and/or shill. You disappoint me.

If you can't imagine why you would need source code then you haven't been in the industry for long. All your certs don't mean shit without experience. Come back in a few years. Also, throw your certs away and never use that software again it's actively harmful.

You can run both under Wine just fine, saving you the need to learn new software. Office 2010 also works but I've not managed to activate it so I'm using 2007 instead.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-07_22-35-34.png (1360x768, 135K)

Wut? ..jeez louise

If you're a Photoshop power user GIMP isn't even worth mentioning. If all you do is make shitty memes then it's a viable option.
As for Libre Office I would just recommend learning LaTeX.

photoshop has more tools and its easier to use than gimp and guess what, even brainlets can understand it
only freetards praise gimp because
>free
>no botnet

Attached: 1565032326227.gif (251x224, 1.59M)

only cucked proprietards praise photoshop because it's heavily advertised, it isn't easier to use in any way