16 GB of RAM no longer enough?

what the fuck is wrong with the current state of computing? how the fuck is windows 10 using 12 GB of ram when i only have firefox and mimic (a derivative of chrome) open? i even have superfetch turned off

Attached: b2c24826-9a9a-4409-b103-fcf64fdfefb6[1].jpg (1125x750, 164K)

how long has firefox been running for? it likes to take up lots over time, even with no tabs open

and im still using 4gb of ram

>superfetch turned off

Lol, fucking why? Are you retarded? Free RAM is literally wasted RAM.

In your aimless quest towards a meaningless goal of more "free RAM" you have gimped your system. Congrats

Are you aware that OSes use free memory as a cache to speed up things, and will return it as long as it's needed?

it's off because microsoft fucked the implementation and it affects gaming

It's not actually Superfetch doing that. Superfetch is just encouraging the real problem which is Window's inability to manage and free up the memory standby list in a intelligent manner once it ends up consuming all your RAM as standby.

The problem with gaming literally goes away even, with Superfetch enabled, if you have something that watches and clears the standby list before your memory hits less than 512-1024 MB free. Something like Intelligent Standby List Cleaner, which is aptly named.

You get to claim that your RAM isn't enough when you are actually doing something and RAM limitation inhibits performance. What you have there is an idle computer that's using RAM like it should when idle.

>Free RAM is literally wasted RAM.
Until nu-devs and Pajeets bloat up the software so it's no longer "free RAM" and instead "required RAM." Can you think any further than slogans?

Why not just get 32GB? Costs about the same as 16GB did around 5 years ago. I have 64GB and still don't see my RAM usage go past 8GB unless I am doing other things. Constantly have over 40 tabs in Firefox, around a dozen addons, always have a YouTube video or a movie/show going, and have a game open for idling. Only ever goes above that if I am doing VM shit or programming in my shitty editor.

Your shit's fucked my dude.

>Firefox and mimic running

There's your problem. How many tabs do you have open total? Try and find something like The Great Suspender or an equivalent that keeps your tabs but unloads them, like glorified bookmarks.

I technically have 115 tabs "open" between 8 windows but like 100 of them are suspended and my RAM usage is like 1.6GB

>Windows: "We use RAM to cache things so everything is fast."
>Also Windows: *is slow as shit*

Attached: honk.jpg (1080x810, 93K)

Linux has shit low memory performance too. Turn off swap, consume all the memory, and the kernel starts acting like a retard.

>4gigs of ram absolute ramlet in current year
>running xfce shitbuntu polluted by GnomeSHIT
>throw plank dock on there
>bloat up muh firefox with extra shit
>run more programs in background
>still free ram
>werks on my machine

absolute state of pajeetsoft

Attached: laughing.jpg (800x450, 61K)

Are you retarded? RAM clearing is extremely quick. There is literally nothing lost by using downtime to predict and fetch things the user might want. Or at least it should be assuming OSs implement it right, which so far only really old OSs seem to nowadays.

You know Linux does this too right?

It does that with swap on too, just takes a bit longer. It's always been an issue but the answer users always get is "stop using so much memory" or "buy more RAM" so users end up super anal about managing memory usage despite it being such a prolific kernel problem for decades.

>microsoft winshit
Found the problem.

>use XFeces
>is surprised their feces only weighs 700mb
Hell, you can go further and use Gentoo with Openbox and use a grand total of 300mb with Firefox going full blast with YouTube on one screen and sixteen Jow Forums threads on another, no addons.

How much RGB ram do I need before people think I'm cool enough to date me?

>300MB
Firefox is way too bloated for that. I'm on i3 and Arch, a bunch of firefox tabs gets me up to like 1 GB of RAM usage. 10 firefox tabs is like 900MB.

>wasting money on 32/64gb
>memory that will become useless in a few years

>It's not actually Superfetch doing that.
>Superfetch is just encouraging the real problem which is Window's inability to manage and free up the memory standby list in a intelligent manner once it ends up consuming all your RAM as standby.
so, superfetch IS causing the problem.

This is normal, if you consume all memory and ask for more then there is no answer. Restart Firefox, you don't actually have a reason to keep it running for two weeks straight.

No, because the problem can occur just as much without superfetch if you are running other programs on your machine which fill up the standby cache in their own way (of which many do). The very video game you are running fills it up and basically ends up gimping itself.

Windows, without any virtual memory, can consume literally all the memory and still not hard lock as hard as Linux does under the same circumstances. You can literally test this easily.

Meanwhile Linux at that point requires a power cycle or waiting 10 minutes for the kernel to process one of the 6 alt+sysrq combos you use to safely rectify it.

That is just straight up Linux being absolute dogshit.

May have been luck of the draw. I posted several screenfetches on the desktop threads here back in the day. Never once did my memory usage go above 300mb without me legitimately trying (e.g. spamming firefox windows, tabs, and a VM). Managed to get it up to 6GB out of 16GB with the same amount of shit that would have used around 20GB on Windows. It was hilarous and I miss it. Couldn't get Gentoo to work with WiFi though (despite doing everything correctly, mind you), so it wasn't practical. Ended up switching to ArchLabs for that functionality alone. Still less bullshit than other distros, but not as good as Gentoo was at the time. I should add that Gentoo pulled from legacy versions of Firefox. I think the version I had was 49, give or take 3 versions either way.

Not at the rate we are going, user. Programs have been using more and more.

>despite doing everything correctly, mind you
Git gud

Nah it was honestly probably because of the proprietary drivers it needed. Gentoo doesn't play nice with that, and even when you pull from proprietary repos it still doesn't like to work. Tried for two months and even looked up how to force it, but nothing ever panned out. No amount of kernel modifications or scrote tickling made it like me.

What broken hardware do you have which require blobs not provided by linux-firmware package ?

Uh, you guys realize most OSes will try to limit RAM usage to what's available, right?

If you run Windows on 8 GB, it will use less memory than if you have a machine with 16. Yes with superfetch disabled on both.

because windows does not free it fast enough to accommodate uncached programs to launch, causing allocation failures

Honestly don't remember what it was. I just remember looking it up and having a minor panic attack because it wasn't supported and the process to get it to work through proprietary repos was autistic and needed fourteen different dependencies.

I've since stopped using that laptop as well because the screen needed to be repaired and I couldn't be arsed.

provide real evidence that windows is just deciding to consume ram willy nilly because it sees you have X gigabytes installed

I use Blender and Unreal Engine 4 with 16GB RAM and it's definitely not enough for those.

>proprietary repos
Never had to do that. Anyway, seems like the problem was with kernel, not with distro provided userspace.
>despite doing everything correctly, mind you
Could have started of with the fact that you couldn't into configuring and compiling a kernel instead of using default configured one.

ue4's ram usage is absolutely obscene

Unused RAM is wasted RAM

Didn't use a default one. Configured it from the ground up when I compiled it. Just didn't like the drivers.

wasted ram is wasted ram, stopping me from running all the programs i would like to run simultaneously

I literally JUST upgraded to a 16gb kit. It's enough.

You won't be saying that when the webshits and pajeets fill it to the brim with poo.

Usually mines maxes out at 6gb with firefox and chrome open all day.

It's the kernel that shits, not userspace. Well, userspace shits too but only because kernel requests start to take an age. Windows will straight up kill the biggest hog if the system has been nearly memory locked. On Linux, it gets to the point where all you can do is very slowly raise elephants.

What the fuck is wrong with the current state of society? How the fuck is people still don't know how ram works when already windows 10 (a derivative of NT) is out? I even am so stupid to turn off superfetch.

Moore's Law

You can see the shit for yourself if you really wanted to
Do a cold boot and see idle RAM usage
Remove a stick of RAM and cold boot and you'll find idle ram usage is lower
If you have something like 32GB and reduced it to 16GB there might not be a difference but going from 8GB to 4GB could mean the difference between Windows taking 3.5GB to only taking 1.6 or so

Yeah probably. I only needed it for gaming desu. 8gb is still perfectly fine for desktop use. I would even edit videos in premiere with only 8gb. People really exaggerate ram.

I think you missed a word there, unless you're saying you disabled superfetch while knowing it's retarded to do that.

Attached: haista_vittu.gif (360x240, 1.86M)

i have 8gb of ram and i never run into page file. what are you guys doing wrong

it's not thatbwe're doing anything wrong, it's just that we use our computers to do stuff that uses more.

I have never seen a speedup with superfetch despite running off a HDD. I have, however, run into plenty of out of memory situations because superfetch (or some other bit in the bowels of Windows) lacked courtesy. Fuck that rubbish.

i've read that when you have more RAM, applications allocate more RAM for no reason. So if you have 32 giggabites of RAM, chrome might hog 14, but that same chrome workload on a PC running 8 jiggabytes of RAM would only use 2-3

It's actually better with swap off. No matter what you do Linux usually becomes completely unresponsive and unrecoverable once you hit 100% memory usage. I think it's supposed to close processes to free up memory after that happens but I've never seen it happen.

Terry Davis had the right idea of the OS just crashing once you max out your memory.

>want to run program A and program B at the same time
>program A is running
>the developer of program A comes to Jow Forums where he learned that "unused ram is wasted ram"
>program A is hogging all the ram
>cannot run program B because ram is full

thanks Jow Forums

can I trick chrome or any other program to believe my PC has less RAM and thus make it run more efficiently?

It's more about memory speed these days with the avg 8gb gpu and 16gb of system ram been more than enough if u have a decent ssd setup

That said next gen will push insane memory capacity at insane prices because of complexity creep and cost to manufacture steadily rising once we go smaller than 7nm+

32gb gaming gpus and 128gb of system ram probably won't be needed for the next decade or two with how slow gaming and consoles have slowed down tech advancement by pushing it all to the software side of things instead of brute forcing everything
Maybe in a year or so we will see 16gb gpus for mainstream gaming but honestly with shit small resolutions under 3-8k it's not needed yet
8/11gb with memory/texture compression and newer apis handle it all alot more efficiently same with streaming and ssds

Nice bloated system. My Windows 10 is using 3.1gb RAM watching YouTube and 4 tabs of Jow Forums open.

that's over three point one billion bytes just for an operating system and a few webpages

correct, at least i can still use a system where shit has crashed. can't use a system that has locked up for 10 minutes grinding away on the swap.

Yes, I agree. Windows is bloated and so is the web. But OP is just a fat American.

Yep, it's time to upgrade to 32GB+

The OP just said he's doing nothing.

tfw your SSD has 200x the amounts of reads than you have actually used.

Operating systems are meant to stay the fuck out of your way and obediently execute the ACTUALLY USEFUL PROGRAMS that run on them. That includes not gobbling up RAM.

Unused ram is wasted ram

>it affects gaming
I would blame the gpu/cpu/hdd with that amount of ram, post speccy

Most people don't do anything with a computer that needs anything more than 8 GB of RAM. That's with a Win10 machine, fully updated, etc.

wasted ram is wasted ram

even 8gb are enough
>windows 10 using 12 GB of ram
no it doesn't

what happens when you use something that uses up more RAM? from my understanding, windows 10 will increase its RAM usage when the RAM isnt needed elsewhere, just to make things run smoother, but then will reduce RAM usage as needed for something else. have you noticed any lag when doing something RAM-intensive that you wouldnt expect with your amount of RAM?

read the actually useful programs also gobble up RAM without any consideration for the other programs you want to run.
there's no such thing as multitasking anymore when each program you run wants to use your system's RAM

Versions that cached the same but didn't have so much retardation running in the background, ran much faster than 10. 7 and 8.1 run nicely on older hardware while 10 chokes.

forgot to mention that i had an instagram ripper running that was using 5 GB of RAM
but even with that closed, RAM usage is at 7 GB
firefox always tends to use a gig of ram eventually regardless of how many tabs are open

>have "only" >8 billion bytes of ram
>have to close UE4 if i want to modify & compile code
>have to close visual studio AND firefox if i want to edit a map or change some blueprint code
>have to close UE4 so i can open firefox to look up UE4 documentation
>UE4 steadily leaks memory and dies even when you leave it completely idle
and we haven't even reached peak bloat yet

>have "only" 8 million bytes of ram
>most Linux distros won't boot
What is the world coming to?

I have 16gb and I still don't feel secure. I fell like I need 64gb.

>his retarded ass thinks SSD reads impact the SSD in any way

Hell, didn't Google or someone just put out a recently that said that even writes don't matter much at all but instead almost solely the temperature they operate at?

>getting mad about retards taking a statement that deals nothing with application development as a statement about application development

Jesus the amount of autism. And regardless it's still perfectly fine, and even optimal, to do if the developer keeps the shit in standby memory like they should where it's able to be repurposed by another program.

Just because every lazy ass developer doesn't today and locks down everything it wants and more doesn't make the statement any less true.

The operating system does that, not the applications. Nice get tho.

If you're not 100% sure you need more RAM, you don't.

It's called cache. Why wouldn't you want to utilize your RAM? It gets freed up once needed. Unless you have something horrible fucked up, works fine on my LTSC install though.
As for always the amount of RAM you need depends on your use case, 16GB wasn't enough 5 years ago for someone doing video editing for example, if you only game, 8GB will still be bought for 90% of the use cases.

It's amazing that people are so clueless when it comes to a technology forum.

Attached: 1565193253361.jpg (596x600, 176K)

Disk cache is good, prefetch/superfetch is bad, not the same thing. With modern NVMe drives with hundreds of thousands of IOPS and read speeds in the 3000MB/s, you really don't need the overhead of a badly implemented caching algorithm that only works for binary files in the first place.
Superfetch is legacy software, just like ReadyBoost, it's from a time hard drives were popular and it actually made sense, it doesn't anymore.

Attached: 1565197898388.png (538x480, 170K)

>chrome-based browser, infamous for being memory whores
>windows 10, infamous for being a memory whore
jeez it's almost like this software is more demanding than it needs to be or something.

>4gb ramlet
>Firefox open with 92 tabs in 2 windows
>watching 7 hour twitch stream in smplayer
>71% memory being used
WTF are you doing OP

Js frameworks and electron happened

Literal lies.
My PC uses 6-8gb at most, and that's when I'm gayming with Mozilla open in the background.

you must go back

>mimic (a derivative of chrome)
found the problem

this OP, just remove one or more of your RAM modules and use will go down. systems with more RAM are actually slower because programs like chrome and OS parts like superfetch try to eat all the RAM but get computer indigestion when they do. you don't let your dog eat the whole bag of kibbles, why would you do the same with your PC?

Attached: 1381174186373.gif (250x230, 2M)

4gb is enough

I'm running 16GB RAM, and even with 24 tabs of Chrome open, HTTrack running, JDownloader running, and Spotify playing some tunes, I'm barely past 6GB.
What the fuck, user?
I've been considering getting a 32GB kit, but if I almost never hit over 10GB, I'm not seeing a point until fuck huge sale.

>what the fuck is wrong with the current state of computing?
modern software, like windows 10 and chrome
still running 4GB on debloated win7 (which boots at 400MB of RAM) and using firefox with unloadtabs

even though I'm building a PC with 32GB of RAM, I will still be running debloated win7 and using firefox with unloadtabs
also make sure that no programs boot on startup unless they should be
if it were to give it back as soon as it's even remotely needed then maybe
but if there's nothing to use it for then it can fuck off and keep it free for other things

so how does one control how much a program is allowed to allocate?

I usually run 10 tabs in Vivaldi with one of them streaming music or video, have a game in the background and constantly alt tabbing. Op is just retarded per usual.

>It gets freed up once needed
read the thread

>not having 64GB of RAM in 2019
I hope you guys don't do this. Right?