I just landed my first developer job at a cool startup. When I was in the office...

I just landed my first developer job at a cool startup. When I was in the office, I noticed that most of the devs were super nerdy and fit the stereotypical skinny "hacker" type. The company is big on teamwork, and I want to fit in with the people I'm going to work with. I'm a powerlifter that loves technology, but I'm not the stereotypical "hacker nerd" that grew up on IRC, Arch Linux, and anime.

What are some "nerd programmer" essentials I should get familiar with to increase my credibility?

Attached: nerdCred.png (1400x1400, 120K)

A noose

anime
video games
crossdressing
being autistic and having no social skills

slap random JavaScript framework stickers on your MacBook Pro and only code in Visual Studio Code with dark-themes while sipping on a cup of Starcuck iced-machiate fappucino

you won't fit in unfortunately
powerlifting, while a fun hobby, is extremely inefficient, impractical, and not behaviour fitting of an engineer

From what I’ve seen at startups, being fat and having a neck beard and poor hygiene are musts.

you must also be completely repulsive, physically and socially

cue *cringe*
lol... this I can do
Powerlifting is all about efficiency. It's about moving as much weight as possible between two points.
I won't sacrifice my physique or my personal hygiene, so this is out.

come in on time and stay as late as you have to to make sure you're doing your job correctly

>moving as much weight as possible
that has literally nothing to do with efficiency, you haven't factored energy usage and resource constraints into the equation
>I won't sacrifice my physique or my personal hygiene
those things have nothing to do with efficiency, like i said you are not an engineer and will never fit in, try joining the marketing department

The trick is to literally just be whoever the fuck you are and fuck trying to fit in. You are there to work and if they decide they don't wanna know you as you are, their friendship is not at all worthwhile since it'll be fake.
Develop your software and be friends with those you just naturally become friends with.
You fucking loser.

Power lifting is all about efficiency through inefficiency since you're always changing to stress different muscle sets that are not developed to handle it. This makes them more efficient. Training is always about increasing capability and the body will always find the most efficient way possible.
You absolute fucking moron.

>stressing muscle sets that you would otherwise not use is efficient
>increasing capability for no reason is efficient
no
first step to fit in would be to stop repeating brainlet Jow Forums memes like anyone cares

Who cares about trying to "fit" the role? If you're a competent dev your work will speak for itself. Also I'm a lanklet nerd but I'd respect anyone devoted enough to commit to lifting

I think you could rethink what the words "increasing capability" means in light of the "no reason" argument you're making.
If you are incapable, that's against our genetic predisposition as animals that developed over hundreds of thousands of years, through millions of iterations in harsh and deadly environments, so making yourself more capable is a fundamental importance.
I don't go on Jow Forums, either. This is just basic biology.

>This makes them more efficient.
no that increases the amount of tissue
high reps and low intensity are efficiency, cardio is efficiency

none of that matters because you didn't ask WHY you're becoming more capable
case in point your powerlifting is a fun hobby but will not make you better at debugging javascript and in some ways could make you worse

Health and well being are important factors in being productive. If you want to become more than a basement programmer and lead a team or a company, you need to have some level of balance between your skills as a developer and your health. The guys that "eat sleep code" and live off 3hrs of sleep and cold pizza rarely move past "that guy that crushes bugs". It's the good looking and put together developers that crack 200k and crush pussy.

health and well being are fine when done without compromising efficiency
>crack 200k and crush pussy
neither of those things have anything to do with being a good engineer

Sure buddy

>extremely inefficient

40 minutes are the longest a lifting workout can get. You do them 3 times a week. Most people use that time to goof off. Ironically, lifting makes you feel feel even better than most things people do in their free time. Being in shape is never impractical.

>It's the good looking and put together developers that crack 200k and crush pussy.
is this the fabled "brogrammer" i've been hearing so much about?

you should focus on being yourself and all of the dweeb coworkers you have will bend the knee

memorise every line in The IT Crowd
>and maybe listen to some Guided by Voices for good measure

Attached: small_person_racist.jpg (661x709, 102K)

/thread

>I’m a powerlifter

Attached: 506853C0-A4BC-432C-97F8-F0F5509AEE1F.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

it's pronounced ay-niss

Powerlifting is gay. Also, don’t try to fit in with people. They will discover you’re fake and you will be worse off. “Just be yourself” is true. Either you become friends with them all or you don’t.

>What are some "nerd programmer" essentials I should get familiar with to increase my credibility?
Don't. You also don't need to, aside from demonstrating that you know what you are talking about.

Trying top fit in with a group of socially socially maladjusted freaks is a bad idea, literally just be yourself.

You have been visited by the Laura of not great, not terrible threads.

This thread is currently reading 28 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 108K)