Television General

What kind of TV do you have?

Thread topics:
• Best TV you can purchase in 2019?
• What are you using your TV for?
• Chromecast, NVDIA Shield, and other methods of watching your pirated films
• LG vs Sony
• Laugh at Samshit TVs

Attached: 917X-r4zWPL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1083, 518K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/14535/realtek-demonstrates-rtd2173-displayport-14-to-hdmi-21-converter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1510500-pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide.html
youtu.be/IBH4g_ua5es
avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1510500-pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide-86.html#post57119236
elgiganten.dk/product/tv-billede/fladskarms-tv/24415/lg-55-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55um7400#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a Samsun Q9FN in the bedroom/PC room and LG C8 in the living room, but I'm buying a Sony OLED in 2020 and selling the C8.

>Best TV you can purchase in 2019?
Sony A9G, but honestly it's not correct to buy 2019 models now as full HDMI 2.1 will be available next year so it's more value to wait.

>Chromecast, NVDIA Shield, and other methods of watching your pirated films
Nvidia Shield is trash compared to Apple TV + Plex + Infuse.

What is the HDMI 2.1 limitation that the 2019 models that are claiming to have 2.1 hdmi implementation have?

Some cheapo 55" IPS, HDR, 4k POS
Works well enough for the price though, connected to PC

some old 32" 720p thing that my grandfather used to have. I got it when he died since I was the only one in the family without a TV, and everyone else's TV was larger.

I don't really need any more TV than that, but I'm thinking of trying to find a 1080p dumb TV simply because I suspect that if I ever want a bigger TV, I'll have to get one now before dumb TVs become impossible to find.

I think LG's newest TVs like the C9 have full HDMI 2.1, while Samsung has some limitations like no eARC. Sony can do eARC but can't do 4k@120hz so there are some technical differences between what each manufacturer (except LG) does with HDMI 2.1 at the moment. Next year they'll all have full 2.1 though.

You are all my freinds

these days you can get shit like (dumb tv) for 300 yuros

>2017 buy a Samsung UE50MU6100
>2019 all HDMI ports cut out signal randomly
>10 seconds of black screen before resuming the feed
I fucking hate Samsung TVs with a passion. It's out of warranty so no free fix. I bought a new TV yesterday hope it is better than the Samshit.

The Nvidia Shield is the shit though. Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, it has it all. Price is kind of high, but you get an awesome machine in return

4k 49" sony piece of shit
it's so fucking slow and lags all the time, i hate this tv OS trash

I have pulled two TVs out of dumpsters this year: 50" 1080p TLC smart TV and 40" 1080p Emerson LED TV. Both in perfect working order.

>spending money on TVs

Any anons run a custom firmware on their tv? Is it worth it?

Is it possible to rotate Roku OS to be vertical?

>What kind of TV do you have?
Pioneer KRP500A in den
Pioneer KRP500M in living room
Pioneer PDP-428xd in bedroom
Some 1080p Samshit smart TV in elder daughter's room. Just awful but she doesn't mind and it serves its purpose for watching Tiny Pop.
Approx 25 CRTs dotted about the place, monitors rather than TVs. Most not in use at the moment but I do have a PVM-2950QM and KX-27PS1 "Profeel" hooked up for retro gaming.

My Kuros have a good 80k hours left on them so I'm not in the market to buy a new one, plus I detest smart TVs and their shitty apps with planned obsolescence. Far better to plug in an HTPC.

Best bang for the buck TV is the Hisense H9F. Mark my words. It's already getting better reviews than every TV at that price range.

Best bang for the buck are those 300 yuro ones that use the second revision 55" 4k IPS panels that get shat out by the masses
Pick a TV with one of these that doesn't have """smart""" features
If you need anything more, then yes the ULED H9F is great next category up

>LG 55" C7V

HDR, HDR10+, DOLBY VISION is bullshit.

only the 10 bit colors are meaningful, the metadata will never work as intended as every device has different implementations and capabilities

>IPS panels
lol no thanks. i prefer my blacks to be black instead of dark grey.

A 50" 720p plasma from ~2008 or so. (It might actually be 1366x768, not sure.) Still looks fantastic considering its age.
When it dies, I'll probably replace it with a reasonably high-end 4K VA. Not an OLED, I need to to safely display a static desktop for any period of time.

Lg > samsung > sony

Did you miss the part where he mentioned the price? Show me 55" 4k OLED pannels ~300 euros dum dum.

Is there any reason at all to get a TV rather than just buying a monitor of similar size? Only boomers actually watch television anyway

>Hisense
poorfag here

i got a 55" Hisense H8F coming my way soon. did i fuck up? should i have gotten a TCL 6 series instead?

TVs are 3x cheaper per inch. And remote controls.

Not him but the H8F has actually gotten very good reviews from what Ive read (User reviews plus outlets that have said it performs better than LG and Samsung monitors priced twice as much.) Im looking into getting the 50in model myself. The TCL 6 series is also great so I dont think you can go wrong with either one.
Basically this. Even if you dont watch tv, some cheap $300 4k TCL tv can offer way more features than a $400 1440p monitor.

Shouldn't monitors be cheaper, all things equal, because no TV tuner, smart features, wifi, etc?

but they aren't. I think it has to do with pixel density and other panel qualities since monitors are supposed to be viewed nearby while TVs have a few feet between the viewer.

I'm still using a CRT with no intention to upgrade because I barely watch TV.
I watch stuff mostly on my computer monitor.

Why? I hear sony use lg panels, why sell existing lg then?

I dont have a tv but if I were to buy one it would probably be oled

>i got a 55" Hisense H8F coming my way soon. did i fuck up?
Should have gotten the H9F.

Monitors don't have economy of scale working for them
Much smaller market with traditionally higher margins
Some argue that monitors are higher quality and that is why they demand a higher premium but the they shitty QC exhibited in recent times leads me to believe that is not true anymore

Pixel density isn't an issue, we put 250+ PPI displays in cheapshit phones all the time
A 20" 4k panel in reality should be easier and cheaper to make than the 40"+ in TVs but almost no one buys 20" 4k monitors in comparison to TVs

>no one buys 20" 4k monitors
Because they dont exist

It's an LG 43" IPS 4K HDR TV that I got for $230 and it's still $230 apparently. I bought it earlier this year in February.
It was actually difficult to find a 1080p TV in this size locally that wasn't more expensive or equally priced to 4K HDR equivalent for some reason, I didn't want to buy it online so that's mostly why. I just bought it earlier this year.
Connects to my Desktop for Upscaled Anime
LibreELEC on an ODROID for other shows in my NAS where I don't want my Dekstop on for
and Chromecast for everything else (Twitch/YouTube/Live TV via Mobdro)

Attached: LG-43UK6400PLB.jpg (1100x730, 287K)

24" ones exist
Still my point stands though
Small 4k panels should be cheaper but since no one really buys them nearly as much they are not made in nearly the same quantities

why tho? anyways, i couldn't find one in 55" and didn't want (or could afford) a 65"

There aren't really affordable 55+ inch monitors.

Also people do live in places with more than one room. Living rooms, home theaters, bed rooms are a thing you know. Once you grow up, you'll figure this out.

Attached: pc2.jpg (4032x2268, 1.72M)

Bring back plasma

Let's assume you don't need a TV tuner or anything like that.
If a display is 32" or smaller, it will be sold as a "monitor". It will probably have Displayport in and may have freesync/other gaming-specific stuff.
If a display is larger than that, it will be sold as a "TV". Provided it has an RGB subpixel layout, accepts RGB or 4:4:4 input, and allows you to turn off any aggressive image processing it might perform by default, it will work in exactly the same way as a hypothetical "monitor" of the same size (which generally don't exist).

You don't generally get to decide which you buy. There aren't any 27" TVs or 55" monitors.[1] You decide on which size you want, and then you buy whatever display is around that size and affordable. If it's a "TV" and you intend to connect it to a computer and read small text on it, you also need to make sure it's suitable for that purpose (rtings is good for this).

The line between them is very blurry now. As a general rule, larger displays are higher quality than smaller ones, so it's worth considering large TVs for use as monitors provided you have the space and perform the above suitability checks. I'm currently using a 32" 4K monitor, and it's fine but I kind of regret buying instead of just getting a 50" TV and sitting further from it.

[1] inb4 an autist reminds me about BFGDs and tiny bedroom TVs and other random exceptions that nobody cares about

sony have better processing than lg
and thanks to that’s better picture

my sony have hdmi 2.0b with eARC.
120hz is of no use for me

This

Still using my 60in Samsung Plasma and the blacks are BLACK.
Also the red detailing around the perimeter is core

Attached: plasma.jpg (880x880, 40K)

TVs also have freesync and HDMI forum VRR now
I guess what is neat Is that Samsung did a software update on their some 2018 TVs to enable freesync

>Nvidia Shield is trash compared to Apple TV + Plex + Infuse.
Bullshit
Shield is more flexible than any other streaming device out there

How do you guys that watch stuff on monitors ever invite girls over for Netflix n' Chill scenarios?

They don’t
Anyone who exclusively buys monitors basically admits that they are alone in their house always

Don't they get lonely?!

Nah they have their anime figurines to keep them company beside their backlight bleeding Asus IPS monitor

Pioneer LX5090H
HTPC

The black level is somehow fucked even though it only has 5k hours on it (checked through serial that it hasn't been fiddled with). It's almost LCD bad, but at least it's still watchable unlike an LCD panel. I need to get it fixed, but there is so much fucking info about these things out there and 95% of it is shit.
I was thinking about picking up a C8 but I'll probably wait until next year at least, since I'm going to need a new AVR as well and I just can't be bothered.
Hey fren.

What do you guys use for sound?

you are getting red tint on black screen in full dark room?
try to switch to PC mode

From experience, a large enough monitor with close enough seating suffices as a small TV.
But really, even for watching content alone, TVs are always better.

5.1, B&W speakers and a 12" ported SVS sub. No particular reason for going with the speakers other than the price (second hand).
Just grey blacks, no red tint. I haven't measured it yet but they are really bad. I did a reset and it fixed them. It brought on other issues as expected, so I undid it again.

How long is it going to take for HDMI 2.1 to matter?

It's depressing how bad the gamut on most sub $1000 TVs are. Most shit barely gets past rec 709.

The Vizio M657 has a samsung q-color filter and good input lag. Apparently it's got a shit backlight, but how much will this matter in real life, away from the world of specsmanship?
It'll live in a poorly lit room and never play HDR content. I'm thinking 300 nits is fine.

Attached: dofferson.jpg (500x500, 42K)

When Realtek releases it’s active DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter chipset and even then that wouldn’t be full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 because of the limitations of DP 1.4
RTX Super or even the 5700 XT should have shipped with 2.1
It amazes me to think that it has taken this long to get a single HDMI 2.1 source

>It's depressing how bad the gamut on most sub $1000 TVs are. Most shit barely gets past rec 709.
Viewing angles (and yes they very much do matter even when viewed head on) and black levels are far more depressing.
>Apparently it's got a shit backlight
How so?
>It'll live in a poorly lit room
Good luck with that black level.
>I'm thinking 300 nits is fine.
If you want to go blind, then sure.

>300 nits
>going blind
Pussy

Attached: 1549619849964.png (885x653, 134K)

>How so?
Because it maxes out at only 300 nits and has only 20 local dimming zones.
Black levels are not great at 0.18cd/m2 but still leagues better than my current cheapo IPS that looks light gray in the dark.

I can get this thing for $630 due to a costco price misprint, are there superior 65"ers at that price?

46 in Viera. The image is shifted over like an inch and somebody used glass cleaner on the coating. It's not really noticeable though, and it was a steal for 25 bucks.

When?

Besides the size what other advantages does a TV have over using a monitor?

According to this it's in the upcoming quarters so either Q3 or Q4
anandtech.com/show/14535/realtek-demonstrates-rtd2173-displayport-14-to-hdmi-21-converter

Unironiclly some of the video processing you get with TVs
I used to use something called smooth video project on my PC and monitor which used motion interpolation to make 24 FPS video go to 60 FPS
I have an X900E which has that shit built in and it does it to 120hz for that ultra smooth camera panning an anime

Ah, I see. Trust me, the brightness is not an issue if you just want to watch SDR. You will not want to run it anywhere near that in a dimly lit room.
If the tv is like the one rtings reviewed, then you should be OK with local dimming off. It will not look black in a completely dark room, but it should be reasonable if there's a bit of light.

That's gonna be a yikes from me.

I guess if you are an ultra purist that only cares about viewing or hearing things "like they should be" I guess it would be a yikes

I got out of that line of thinking years ago because once you sit down and setup all of your displays for the best accuracy everything just looks the same from one display to the next unless your previous display was just that shit where you would see a difference

When I first got my X900E and setup everything to be accurate it didn't look much different than my BenQ VA, I legitimately started to get more enjoyment out of it when I started fucking with the adjustments they give you
Something I noticed right away was that turning up color settings doesn't immediately crush colors, I guess that has to do with the 10bit panel

Have you seen 300 nits? It isn’t that bright dork. Discredits everything you say because you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

Sony Bravia 55" KDL 55HX801P from like a decade ago. 1080p 240hz this TV is a goddamn tank with every feature I need and synergy with other Sony products.
miss me with all that 2019 bullshit

Y'all pirate?

>How long is it going to take for HDMI 2.1 to matter?
not until 2020 models

yes

television rules the nation

Does anyone still watch broadcast TV?

Anyone got or know anything about Sceptre TV's?
They're priced well and don't appear to be fucking Smart TV's so I'm thinking they're worth it unless they're total shit

Yeah, only about three times brighter than what you would want in a dimly lit room, you absolute fucking retard. If only there were industry standards that ensured consistent results when mastering content and reproducing it...
And the correct unit is candela per square meter.

>Sceptre TV's?
shit

Can you explain why?

I own a Samsung QN55Q6F. Got it last black friday for like 700 bucks. No FALD, but it's great other than that.

generally low quality garbage

THIS, not a smart tv though

I have the same and it's pretty responsive. I most often use it as a device to cast videos to.

reminder that this timeline sucks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

I love how you hipster shits who have no idea but heard something cool that got fucked over and meme it over and over again, without even knowing anything about the technology and it's downsides and why it didn't become dominant

I'm gonna buy LG 65" C8 talk me out of it

- cheapest LG TV - non-smart 43" HD LCD
- presentation stand which was half the cost of tv
- xiaomi tv box
My CRT died recently, was 32" SABA with wdtv network player

Maybe reconsider if you're going to play 9000 hours of the same game or you will have it facing directly towards the sun. Otherwise a solid choice.
rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

I thought zoomers are not using TVs anymore?

There's a difference between having a TV and watching "TV". Only literal retards and really old people actually watch "TV" these days.

not using TVs as in not even owning "big screen thing"

this is boomer board

Doubt that's true. But I'm sure less zoomers own TVs than people their age did 10 years ago.

>Nvidia Shield is trash compared to Apple TV + Plex + Infuse.
Lol not true

LG UK6200PLB 55'' for 425 yurobucks (4K IPS LED) or should I look into Hisense/TLC, even if it's a bit more expensive?
That LG one seems like great value for the price, but everyone keeps raving on about the chink brands. I don't really care about brand, just want a good value panel, since I'm not looking to spend much right now.
Do I pull the trigger on the LG?

Kuro bro here.

Have you done this?
avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1510500-pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide.html

My 500A was a little grey when I got it (no red tint though) and this sorted it right out. Maybe skip the reset and go straight into the service menu and tweak VOL SUS to see if that helps.

Amazing screens when they're optimised though. I honestly wouldn't trade mine for 4k OLEDs or any other contemporary technology.

youtu.be/IBH4g_ua5es

Yes and no. I only got a proper serial cable recently so I haven't messed a lot with it. I used the method here so I could undo it again, which I did:
avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1510500-pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide-86.html#post57119236

I got "OLED" blacks without doing anything else. I watched a movie and only noticed the "black lag" in the black bars and worse image retention (on fade to black). I checked for the magenta sparkles and it did have those, but I'm not sure what else. I'm going to see if I can get it fixed without a reset. Need to find the commands for changing voltages though, as it's a pain to do it from the menu.

I got a 55" 4K Samsung TV a year ago on black friday for like 400€. Has a decent VA panel with pretty good blacks and color reproduction, can't complain in terms of image quality. Smart features are surprisingly good to the point where I don't need a Chromecast or some other device. Does youtube, amazon video, netflix, plex (works flawlessly, even with 4K HDR content) and twitch too after some messing around with tizen studio. It's connected to my PC to play vidya upscaled from 1440p or native 4K in emulators.
HDR is pretty shit tho since it doesn't get bright enough to provide a true HDR experience.

>he thinks a bargain bin VA TV i good
Oh no no no

In terms of price/performance it is, yes. Obviously it doesn't compare to TVs that are a grand and up.

I'm in the same boat. Been thinking about elgiganten.dk/product/tv-billede/fladskarms-tv/24415/lg-55-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55um7400# but am not sure if the quality is good enough. Although fucking Denmark doesn't have proper Chinese brand representation when it comes to HiSense/etc. stuff.

Attached: lg.jpg (1244x829, 66K)